Syd's Sunrise / George Dance

George Dance

Jul 26, 2009, 10:02:34 PM7/26/09
Syd's Sunrise

Night prowls, scratches sand, & then pads on,
the gnomes are sleeping in their gnomish homes,
when darkness is increased by 1, to 7
& from the icy waters underground

a scarlet eagle rises, showers gold
on all. Floating down, the light resounds
blindingly – flap flicker flicker / Blam pow pow –

& all the land is lime and limpid green.
Amidst the grass, dandelions thrive.
Buttercups cup the light in the foggy dew.

Change, return, success, going & coming,
nothing can be destroyed once & for all:
Look at the sun, look at the sky, look at the river
lazily winding, finding its way to sea.

---
George Dance

adamlynn

Jul 27, 2009, 8:01:40 AM7/27/09

Good Dr. Hofmann would be proud.....

black hash, blue smoke, sleepless dreams--
the meat of my toes
curls in my boots: ten

little red link sausages
steam on a white breakfast plate.

George Dance

Jul 27, 2009, 9:22:09 PM7/27/09
On Jul 27, 8:01 am, adamlynn <adaml...@live.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 10:02 pm, George Dance <georgedanc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>

> > Syd's Sunrise
>
> > Night prowls, scratches sand, & then pads on,
> > the gnomes are sleeping in their gnomish homes,
> > when darkness is increased by 1, to 7
> > & from the icy waters underground
>
> > a scarlet eagle rises, showers gold
> > on all.  Floating down, the light resounds
> > blindingly – flap flicker flicker / Blam pow pow –
>
> > & all the land is lime & limpid green.

> > Amidst the grass, dandelions thrive.
> > Buttercups cup the light in the foggy dew.
>
> > Change, return, success, going & coming,
> > nothing can be destroyed once & for all:
> > Look at the sun, look at the sky, look at the river
> > lazily winding, finding its way to sea.
>
> > ---
> > George Dance
>
> Good Dr. Hofmann would be proud.....

Hmmm ... yes, it does sound like that, doesn't it? That's interesting,
because that wasn't part of the idea of this one, but it is of the
next one in the series; and I've always thought they belonged
together.

> black hash, blue smoke, sleepless dreams--
> the meat of my toes
> curls in my boots: ten
>
> little red link sausages
> steam on a white breakfast plate.

That could get interesting ...

George Dance

Aug 2, 2009, 10:02:54 PM8/2/09

Just to be clear, I didn't mean "Ill Death" -- I meant this one:

Light of Day
http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.arts.poetry.comments/msg/ff893fe6c6f056c6?hl=en

Will Dockery

Apr 17, 2021, 4:07:53 AM4/17/21
Another AAPC Reader's choice pick, good work, George D.:

AAPC Readers' Choices (of favorite poems of AAPC poets):
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.arts.poetry.comments/search?q=%22AAPC%20Reader%27s%20Choice%22

... ... ...

Zod

Apr 17, 2021, 11:45:57 AM4/17/21
On Sunday, July 26, 2009 at 10:02:34 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
Brilliant as is the Floyd...

Zod

Apr 17, 2021, 5:30:58 PM4/17/21
Hi there...

General-Zod

Apr 19, 2021, 11:02:19 AM4/19/21
> .... ... ...
Yep... no doubt about it....

George J. Dance

Apr 19, 2021, 11:43:44 AM4/19/21
Thanks. This one did hold up well. It's in my last collection, but retitled as "At the Gates of Dawn." As you can probably tell, it's a cento that uses lyrics from the "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" album. I think that's why it worked, as it allowed me to circumvent one of my biggest problems (which I think is a big problem for modern poets in general) - coming up with imagery that's both unique and accessible at the same time.

George J. Dance

Apr 19, 2021, 12:17:08 PM4/19/21
AFAICS, besides the tile, I made only one change to this draft: in L5, "showers gold" became "shining gold". The first works better with the synesthesia in the rest of the octet, but it has an unfortunate connotation I wanted to remove.

Will Dockery

Apr 19, 2021, 12:19:26 PM4/19/21
It definitely stands well.

Karen Tellefsen

Apr 19, 2021, 12:31:01 PM4/19/21
This is rather nice, George.

Zod

Apr 19, 2021, 1:25:21 PM4/19/21
Enjoyable second read...

General-Zod

Apr 20, 2021, 5:34:03 PM4/20/21
Agreed with all, most excellent...

Zod

Apr 28, 2021, 5:58:16 PM4/28/21
Good read...

George J. Dance

Jul 26, 2021, 8:59:23 PM7/26/21
Thank you, Karen. I'm sorry I didn't say that earlier; but I don't seem to have come back to the thread.

I am glad that you liked the cento, and that learning it was a cento didn't get in the way of enjoying the poem at the time.

I am a bit puzzled, though, in light of your different comments on the poem this month, and wonder what the reason was for the difference.

Will Dockery

Jul 26, 2021, 10:05:29 PM7/26/21
I see that Zod knows his Pink Floyd.

W-Dockery

Jul 27, 2021, 12:10:28 AM7/27/21
I will speak one more time to point out that George Dance clearly states that the poem is a Cento, and fully credits his sources here, in an April post.

Now, no more comments from me on this matter, as requested by George Dance.

George J. Dance

Jul 27, 2021, 9:30:58 AM7/27/21
Sorry, I didn't mean I didn't want you to say anything at all about it.

I just meant I didn't want you arguing about it with MP, Ash, or the Vulcaneers. I have no problems with your talking about it with me or Zod, or writing a general post or two like this one. I just don't want long arguments that never seem to go anywhere, which seemed to be what was happening.

Will Dockery

Jul 27, 2021, 9:54:54 AM7/27/21
Okay, thanks, George.

Will Dockery

Jul 27, 2021, 12:44:57 PM7/27/21
I'm trying to cut down on the arguing.

In fact, I was hoping we could have declared a truce today, but Pendragon refused my offer.

So it goes.

Zod

Jul 27, 2021, 7:31:57 PM7/27/21
On Sunday, July 26, 2009 at 10:02:34 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
Cool cento....

Will Dockery

Jul 28, 2021, 2:58:36 AM7/28/21
Glad that was explained, thanks again, George.