George Dance's stolen poem "At the Gates of Dawn"

NancyGene

Jul 15, 2021, 9:18:28 AM7/15/21
We can hardly find the words to describe the cheating and plagiarism, theft and rip-off that George Dance has performed on Pink Floyd's ""The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (1967) album lyrics. We cannot use strong enough words to condemn this, that he presented this poem as his creation, his phrases, his thoughts. We are truly astounded and appalled.

See below, with the lines that George Dance presented as his own, then what song it is from and the original lyrics as written by Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd. Lines in quotation marks are the Pink Floyd lyrics

----------

At the Gates of Dawn – from “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn”

Night prowls, scratches sand, & then pads on, - from “Lucifer Sam”
“At night prowling sifting sand.”

the gnomes are sleeping in their gnomish homes, - from “The Gnome”
“And little gnomes stay in their homes.”

when darkness is increased by 1, to 7 – from “Chapter 24”
“It forms when darkness is increased by one.” – This makes no sense out of the context of the song.

& from the icy waters underground – from “Astronomy Domine”
“Around the ice waters underground”

a scarlet eagle rises, shining gold – from “Matilda Mother”
“With silver eyes the scarlet eagle”

on all. Floating down, the light resounds – from “Astronomy Domine”
“Floating down, the sound resounds”

blindingly – flap flicker flicker / Blam pow pow – from “Astronomy Domine”
“Blinding signs flap,”
“Flicker, flicker, flicker blam. Pow, pow.”

& all the land is lime and limpid green. – from “Astronomy Domine”
“Lime and limpid green, a second scene”

Amidst the grass, dandelions thrive. – from “Flaming”

Buttercups cup the light in the foggy dew. – from “Flaming”
“Watching buttercups cup the light”
“Lazing in the foggy dew”
“Sleeping on a dandelion”

Change, return, success, going & coming, - from Chapter 24
“Change returns success”
“Going and coming without error.”

nothing can be destroyed once & for all: - from Chapter 24
“Things cannot be destroyed once and for all.”

Look at the sun, look at the sky, look at the river – from “The Gnome”
“Look at the sky, look at the river”

lazily winding, finding its way to sea – partly from “The Gnome”
“Winding, finding places to go”

lazily winding, finding its way to sea. – the other part is from “Lucifer Sam”
“Lucifer go to sea.”

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 15, 2021, 9:44:25 AM7/15/21
What does one expect by the failed politician who became 'editor' of the Dockery 'ugly cover' 'book' that he rewrote right here day after day.

NIce work, NG

NancyGene

Jul 15, 2021, 10:04:08 AM7/15/21
Thanks, Edward. If he had presented that anywhere other than here, he would have been sued. Maybe he still will be, as it is in his supposed "book." The phrase that we thought was good was "buttercups cup the light," and that was a straight steal from Pink Floyd. If he has no original ideas, that does not excuse his stealing ideas from others. He will be found out.

It badly reflects on George Dance's character that he would do this.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 15, 2021, 10:10:54 AM7/15/21
I never thought he had character..no one in the Dockery camp has character

Now to hear his spaghetti logic about your research.

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 15, 2021, 10:11:18 AM7/15/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 9:18:28 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
Wow, I suppose one would really need to know Pink Floyd to figure this out. I wonder why George did this? If he gave the some indication that this was an experimental piece heavily dependent on Pink Floyd lyrics, I'd accept it, but he didn't.

I "borrow" frequently from Irving Berlin, Cab Calloway, Shakespeare (who doesn't), fairy tales, old-timey ballads, but it's usually the gist or one or two phrases. This is a bit more than borrowing.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 15, 2021, 10:27:08 AM7/15/21
His theft should be posted on his blog bio...

NancyGene

Jul 15, 2021, 10:46:53 AM7/15/21
The poem is also on the Facebook AAPC thing. We will be sure to have Pink Floyd's lawyers look at that. Let's see who the moderators of that site are--what do you know! It's Will Dockery, George Dance and Vinyl Cunt! They will be sued jointly and severally!

George J. Dance

Jul 15, 2021, 11:00:05 AM7/15/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 10:11:18 AM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
Back when I wrote it, 14 years ago, there was no need. Here's the only comment I got on first posting (and my reply).

<q>
On May 22, 7:00 am, OB <nevilemo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 6:24 am, George Dance <georgedanc...@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> > Syd's Sunrise
>
> > Night prowls, scratches sand, & then pads on,
> > the gnomes are safely sleeping in their homes,
> > when darkness is increased by 1, to 7,
> > & from the icy waters underground
>
> > a scarlet eagle rises, showering gold
> > on all. Floating down, the light resounds
> > blindingly -- flap flicker flicker / Blam pow pow
> > -- & all the land is lime and limpid green.
> > Amidst the grass, dandelions thrive.
> > Buttercups cup the light in the foggy dew.
>
> > Change, return, success, going and coming,
> > nothing can be destroyed once & for all:
> > Look at the sun, look at the sky, look at the river,
> > lazily winding, finding its way to sea.
>
> A nice collage. Syd would have approved.-

Thank you. I had a lot of fun writing this, but I had no idea how it
would be received.

I bought a copy of Piper two weeks ago, when my tax refund came in.
I'd never heard any of these songs before. It's hard to believe they
were released 40 years ago.

</q>

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 15, 2021, 11:08:25 AM7/15/21
Fair enough, but label it as a Pink Floyd collage to avoid future confusion by fools like me who didn't listen to Pink Floyd.

NancyGene

Jul 15, 2021, 11:22:16 AM7/15/21
George Dance, when you wrote it has nothing to do with anything, nor does the fact that you got only one reply. It was illegal then and it is illegal now. It is also plagiarism. You are a thief.

Clay Dockery

Jul 15, 2021, 12:33:18 PM7/15/21
It wouldn't be the first time he was caught plagiarizing. This one is so blatant that it's embarrassing that he thought nobody would notice. Maybe George Dance should rip off songs that nobody listens to, such as the Shadowville Shitheads.

NancyGene

Jul 15, 2021, 2:55:35 PM7/15/21
Thanks, Clay. We see that your "father" is crying "cento" as an excuse for George Dance's thievery. "Writers Digest" has something to say about that. Dance's stealing for his poem is not at all transformative and he did not bother to tag the lines with their sources. He tried to pass off the poem as his own work (several times), and that is plagiarism.

https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-fiction/how-to-draw-influence-from-other-writers-without-plagiarizing-6-tips-to-avoid-an-ailey-otoole-situation

W.Dockery

Jul 15, 2021, 3:07:22 PM7/15/21
Nancy Gene, you were fooled again by a forgery and identity theft, that post was written by an impostor troll, not Clay.

To set the record straight, once again.

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 15, 2021, 3:25:59 PM7/15/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 3:07:22 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Nancy Gene, you were fooled again by a forgery and identity theft, that post was written by an impostor troll, not Clay.
>
> To set the record straight, once again.

He/she already knew this, she/he any phony Clay are trolling and you bit.

George J. Dance

Jul 15, 2021, 3:31:40 PM7/15/21
That's a reasonable request, and I think I can accommodate it. My reason for not doing so in the body of the poem was, as I explained to someone else trying a cento:

"Like many first centos, you went for the phrases that resonated with you from the world of music. And you weaved them together well, on rereading.
"The big problem with that is that your phrases resonated with a lot of people; they immediately thought of the Beatles, Bowie, and the rest; and that got in the way of actually thinking about the poem as a unified thing. And because it was a cento, there were so many of them, they became constant interruptions."

I don't want to build any such distraction into the poem. But it can't hurt to identify the piece, under the title, as "(a cento"). (I previously had to do that with the one "Martian poem" I wrote, and I don't think it distracts.) And I can also give Barrett and his lyrics credit separately - in a comment on the blog, and on the colophon page of the book. I'm planning to make some changes to D&od this year, and I can add that then as well).

Will Dockery

Jul 15, 2021, 3:46:44 PM7/15/21
Not everyone knows that the posts are forgeries and identity thefts, and so I identity the impostor troll posts for the archives.

I'm glad that you were not fooled by the fake Clay, Karen.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jul 15, 2021, 3:53:06 PM7/15/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 3:46:44 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 3:25:59 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 3:07:22 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> >
> > > Nancy Gene, you were fooled again by a forgery and identity theft, that post was written by an impostor troll, not Clay.
> > >
> > > To set the record straight, once again.
> >
> > He/she already knew this, she/he any phony Clay are trolling and you bit.
> Not everyone knows that the posts are forgeries and identity thefts, and so I identity the impostor troll posts for the archives.

That's true: no one who understands the meaning of "forgeries" and "identity thefts" would even consider such a thing.

Michael Pendragon
“The majority of my posts, love it or hate it, ate posts of my poetry.”
-- Will Dockery

NancyGene

Jul 15, 2021, 3:57:46 PM7/15/21
Then don't do a cento if you are not willing to give credit to your sources. That you are only willing to accommodate the "request" to credit the lines now is because you got called on it is telling.

> I don't want to build any such distraction into the poem. But it can't hurt to identify the piece, under the title, as "(a cento").
Besides which it is the legal thing to do. If you didn't know this before, now you do.

> (I previously had to do that with the one "Martian poem" I wrote, and I don't think it distracts.) And I can also give Barrett and his lyrics credit separately
Again, "can" should be "should have given." You are only sorry because you got caught.

> - in a comment on the blog,
We held our noses and looked at your Penny's site. We saw that you had not mentioned cento or Pink Floyd or any other author but yourself for the origins of the poem.

> and on the colophon page of the book. I'm planning to make some changes to D&od this year, and I can add that then as well).
We were going to mention your "Doggerel, and other doggerel" book as containing the poem. So, the publication of the poem in the book similarly had no mention of cento or Pink Floyd or the lines being from their lyrics. That seems to be a big omission on your part.

Will Dockery

Jul 15, 2021, 4:12:13 PM7/15/21
I set the record straight for those who may be fooled by the forgery and identity theft here.

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 15, 2021, 5:11:55 PM7/15/21
Just add "a Cento using Pink Floyd's ""The Piper at the Gates of Dawn"" in the title or as a note below the poem and I'm satisfied that credit is given. This has been a tempest in a teapot.

J. Corey Connor

Jul 15, 2021, 5:14:25 PM7/15/21
Hey!! I’M a little teapot!!

W-Dockery

Jul 15, 2021, 7:28:18 PM7/15/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 11:22:16 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> We see that
> "cento" as an excuse for George Dance

Because it IS a Cento.

> "Writers Digest" has something to say about that..

> https://www.writersdigest.com/write-better-fiction/how-to-draw-influence-from-other-writers-without-plagiarizing-6-tips-to-avoid-an-ailey-otoole-situation

jdcha...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2021, 8:46:26 PM7/15/21
Have you heard any Pink Floyd? Can not more adamantly recommend and implore that you listen to the music of this top notch band!!! Saw them in ‘94 and was absolutely floored and transported! One of the very greatest bands EVER!!! Both lyrically and musically… love all of their albums from “Piper at the gates of dawn” upto and including “Animals”…

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 15, 2021, 8:49:38 PM7/15/21
What the fuck does that have to do with Dunce stealing lyrics and not crediting, claiming them his own until this very day?

Will Dockery

Jul 15, 2021, 9:34:02 PM7/15/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 8:46:26 PM UTC-4, jdcha...@gmail.com wrote:

> Have you heard any Pink Floyd? Can not more adamantly recommend and implore that you listen to the music of this top notch band!!! Saw them in ‘94 and was absolutely floored and transported! One of the very greatest bands EVER!!! Both lyrically and musically… love all of their albums from “Piper at the gates of dawn” upto and including “Animals”…

I never saw Pink Floyd llve, that had to have been a blast.

jdcha...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2021, 9:38:12 PM7/15/21
Oh absolutely, the sheer high tech SPECTACLE of the concert was magnificent! The lights and lasers and special effects and videos etc… it was truly, literally “out of this world” 🙏❤️🎶

Will Dockery

Jul 15, 2021, 9:59:39 PM7/15/21
I am looking at your Pink Floyd list.

I take it you're not fond of The Wall?

Pink Floyd does get a bit preachy on that album.

jdcha...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2021, 12:44:57 AM7/16/21
Yeah, “The Wall” and the following albums are all disappointing musically and lyrically, Imo, though they have their moments…

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 16, 2021, 8:50:24 AM7/16/21
Do you get all steamed up?

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 16, 2021, 8:53:36 AM7/16/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 8:46:26 PM UTC-4, jdcha...@gmail.com wrote:

> Have you heard any Pink Floyd? Can not more adamantly recommend and implore that you listen to the music of this top notch band!!! Saw them in ‘94 and was absolutely floored and transported! One of the very greatest bands EVER!!! Both lyrically and musically… love all of their albums from “Piper at the gates of dawn” up to and including “Animals”…

I'm sure I've heard some of their music; I just never LISTENED to it. Like everyone, I have limited time and I have to pick and chose what to pay attention to.

J. Corey Connor

Jul 16, 2021, 10:05:18 AM7/16/21
IF YOU COULD SEE ME NOW!!

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 12:29:24 PM7/16/21
True, I doubt anyone in America has missed at least a few hundred plays of "The lunatic is on the grass..."

:)

George J. Dance

Jul 16, 2021, 12:37:28 PM7/16/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 3:25:59 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
They're trolling me as well. I'm still wondering whether I should bite.

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 16, 2021, 12:57:54 PM7/16/21
I suggest you ignore them. A cento is fair use if a reference to the source(s) is/are provided. NG indulges in satirical hyperbole, often to humorous effect.

W-Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 1:12:19 PM7/16/21
Sometimes the effect is simply nasty.

J. Corey Connor

Jul 16, 2021, 1:52:24 PM7/16/21
Nasty?

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 2:03:10 PM7/16/21
aka Nasty Gene.

J. Corey Connor

Jul 16, 2021, 2:04:14 PM7/16/21

Dennis Teal

Jul 16, 2021, 2:09:26 PM7/16/21
You've already bitten, you gullible prick.

Dennis Teal

Jul 16, 2021, 2:11:25 PM7/16/21
Jordy is running interference as he always does. He needs to stick to sucking dick and leave the rest to the grownups.

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 2:21:21 PM7/16/21
On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 2:11:25 PM UTC-4, fake Dennis forged:
> On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 8:49:38 PM UTC-4, Edward Rochester Esq. wrote:

So the impostor troll is also a sleazy homophobe as well.

No surprise, there.

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 2:22:18 PM7/16/21
Troll much, forging identity thief?

:)

George J. Dance

Jul 16, 2021, 4:27:15 PM7/16/21
It was a surprise (but a welcome one) to hear that the "Dennis Teal" posts are also fakes. How did you come to learn that? Is the real Dennis Teal someone from your neck of the woods?

George J. Dance

Jul 16, 2021, 4:29:42 PM7/16/21
You'll now when I bite, silly fake - you'll be butthurt for weeks.

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 7:03:13 PM7/16/21
Yes, the Teal family go back years, to the Mill days, the impostor troll did some heavy stalking to steal the identity and photo to forge the D.T. posts.

Michael Pendragon

Jul 16, 2021, 9:43:33 PM7/16/21
Or... the real Dennis Teal just could be as sick of you as the rest of us are.

Just sayin'.

Michael Pendragon
“I'd think so, but never underestimate the stupidity of a troll.”
-- Will Dockery

W-Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 10:22:22 PM7/16/21
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 7:03:13 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> Or... the real Dennis Teal xxxxxxxxxxx

Was stalked by one of your impostor troll friends, had his identity and photograph stolen for forgery posts here.

In other words, why do you lie so much, Michael Pendragon?

:)

Dennis Teal

Jul 16, 2021, 10:27:47 PM7/16/21
You are a scrawny old man who has failed at everything you've attempted. Give it your best, loser.

W.Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 10:36:19 PM7/16/21
Dennis Teal wrote:

> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 4:29:42 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:

>> > You've already bitten, you gullible prick.
>
>> You'll now when I bite, silly fake - you'll be butthurt for weeks.
>
> You are a scrawny old man who has failed at everything you've attempted. Give it your best, loser.

While you are an impostor troll, cowardly hiding behind identity theft and forged posts.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Jul 16, 2021, 10:48:12 PM7/16/21
There's no need for false accusations, Will.

I'd merely proposed a reasonable alternative.

Michael Pendragon
INTERVIEWER: I suppose you don't just hold it?
WILL DOCKERY: No. I let it out just like everybody else does.
INTERVIEWER: How?
WILL DOCKERY: Well, to pee, you just go out back and pee.
INTERVIEWER: How about to poop?
WILL DOCKERY: For that, you dig a hole. Then you poop into the hole and cover it up.

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 10:52:04 PM7/16/21
There's no need for your impostor troll friend to forge posts by D.T. either.

Michael Pendragon

Jul 16, 2021, 11:17:49 PM7/16/21
Dennis Teal and I are neither friends nor enemies. I've never heard of him before he started posting here.

Michael Pendragon
“Incoherence is a matter of individual perspective.”
-- Will Dockery

W-Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 11:26:21 PM7/16/21
Michael Pendragon wrote:

> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 10:52:04 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

>> > There's no need for false accusations, Will.
>> There's no need for your impostor troll friend to forge posts by D.T. either.

> Dennis Teal xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You mean the identity thief forging D.T.

> and I are neither friends nor enemies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've known D.T. for three decades, and the posts here are forgery and identity thefts of his name and photo.

Michael Pendragon

Jul 16, 2021, 11:45:13 PM7/16/21
On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 11:26:21 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
> Michael Pendragon wrote:

> >> There's no need for your impostor troll friend to forge posts by D.T. either.
> > Dennis Teal xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> You mean the identity thief forging D.T.

I mean Dennis Teal.

It's polite to address/refer others by the usernames.

Dennis has done nothing to offend me, so I shall address/refer to him accordingly.

> > and I are neither friends nor enemies xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> I've known D.T. for three decades, and the posts here are forgery and identity thefts of his name and photo.

Even if Dennis Teal is impersonating your friend, his posts are neither forgeries nor identity thefts.

Words matter. Learn how to use them correctly.

Michael Pendragon
“If the viewer doesn't read the language the film is in, that's why subtitles are provided.”
-- Will Dockery

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 11:49:43 PM7/16/21
On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 11:45:13 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 10:52:04 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > D.T. Was stalked by one of your impostor troll friends, had his identity and photograph stolen for forgery posts here.
>
> > I've known D.T. for three decades, and the posts here are forgery and identity thefts of his name and photo.
>
> Even if Dennis xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's not the real D.T.

You're supporting and defending forgeries and identity theft from an impostor troll.

Michael Pendragon

Jul 16, 2021, 11:54:21 PM7/16/21
It is impossible for me to support and defend something that doesn't exist.

Michael Pendragon
"That was a typo, Corey, sorru."
-- Will Dockery

Will Dockery

Jul 16, 2021, 11:57:55 PM7/16/21
That's a start, at least.

:)

W.Dockery

Jul 17, 2021, 1:33:25 PM7/17/21
NancyGene wrote:

> We can hardly find the words to describe xxxxxxxxxxx

It was a Cento.

Glad to clear up your confusion, stalker troll.

:)

NancyGene

Jul 17, 2021, 5:10:46 PM7/17/21
To "set the record straight," George Dance wrote the thing more than 14 years ago and published it various places, including in his "book." He did not label it as a cento and did not give credit to Pink Floyd for the words that made up most of "his" poem. That is plagiarism. Since he has done this before, perhaps he should stick to writing original poems.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 17, 2021, 5:13:54 PM7/17/21
Case closed, he's a plagiarist.

NancyGene

Jul 17, 2021, 5:31:12 PM7/17/21
All of his supposed "original" poems should now be examined for plagiarism.
Message has been deleted

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 17, 2021, 5:52:43 PM7/17/21
along with political speeches......
Message has been deleted

NancyGene

Jul 17, 2021, 6:00:05 PM7/17/21
Good idea. We will look in the transcripts of his speeches for "four score and seven years ago" and perhaps some lines from Michelle Obama's 2008 convention speech. We will also look for "we will fight on the beaches...we will never surrender."

W.Dockery

Jul 17, 2021, 6:03:18 PM7/17/21
On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 5:10:46 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

>>> It was a Cento.
>
>>> Glad to clear up your confusion, stalker troll.
>
>> To "set the record straight," George Dance wrote the thing more than 14 years ago and published it various places, including in his "book." He did not label it as a cento

George has discussed the poem here several times before, citing it as a Cento.

Agreed that he should label the poem as a Cento, and George Dance himself also agreed with this.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 17, 2021, 6:07:26 PM7/17/21
14 years later? He tried and failed to pass it off as his, thanks to NG

Will Dockery

Jul 17, 2021, 6:15:56 PM7/17/21
Pink Floyd fans would get it from the title, but agreed, George needs to label it as a Cento.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 17, 2021, 6:17:36 PM7/17/21
No, label it stolen.

Will Dockery

Jul 17, 2021, 6:22:22 PM7/17/21
It is a Cento and needs to be labelled as a Cento.

George has agreed with this.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 17, 2021, 6:23:54 PM7/17/21
No George tried and failed to rip off a Floyd lyric....you should fire your editor.

Will Dockery

Jul 17, 2021, 6:28:00 PM7/17/21
No, George created a Cento, but agreed he should label it as a Cento to avoid this kind of confusion.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 17, 2021, 6:30:45 PM7/17/21
Nope, 14 years too late. Never mentioned anything, just put his name on it.

But what do you care, you defended the Pickles also.

Go wash.

NancyGene

Jul 17, 2021, 6:34:06 PM7/17/21
Yes on the 14 years later, and he did not "set the record straight" in his book, his blog or here. Until he was challenged.

George J. Dance: "Back when I wrote it, 14 years ago, there was no need. Here's the only comment I got on first posting (and my reply)."

Will Dockery

Jul 17, 2021, 6:35:54 PM7/17/21
It was a Cento, a specific form of poetry.

Will Dockery

Jul 17, 2021, 8:06:56 PM7/17/21
On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 4:27:15 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 2:21:21 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Jordy is running interference as he always does. He needs to stick to sucking dick and leave the rest to the grownups.
> > So the impostor troll is also a sleazy homophobe as well.
> >
> > No surprise, there.
>
> It was a surprise (but a welcome one) to hear that the "Dennis Teal" posts are also fakes. How did you come to learn that? Is the real Dennis Teal someone from your neck of the woods?

It also shows the malicious effect and intent of the identity thefts and forgeries by an impostor troll, as even George Dance was fooled by these dishonest stunts.

George J. Dance

Jul 18, 2021, 1:04:34 PM7/18/21
1

George J. Dance

Jul 18, 2021, 1:05:01 PM7/18/21
2

George J. Dance

Jul 18, 2021, 1:05:33 PM7/18/21
and 3.

Zod

Jul 18, 2021, 6:05:54 PM7/18/21
This is all so absurd...

George J. Dance

Jul 19, 2021, 11:47:07 AM7/19/21
On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 6:05:54 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> This is all so absurd...

Reminds me of a Depeche Mode lyric:

"It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up;
But why should I give up when it all seems so stupid?"

Depeche Mode, Shame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AXSkyTY9fg

NancyGene

Jul 19, 2021, 12:04:57 PM7/19/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 3:47:07 PM UTC, George J. Dance wrote:
> On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 6:05:54 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> > This is all so absurd...
> Reminds me of a Depeche Mode lyric:
>
> "It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up;
> But why should I give up when it all seems so stupid?"

George Dance, the rug at your home must be really lumpy with things that you have swept under there.

Since your plagiarism has been demonstrated here multiple times, it seems that you have a problem (lack of talent, inspiration, or just being lazy) with producing original work. All of the poems that you supposed wrote are now suspect.

Will Dockery

Jul 19, 2021, 2:00:56 PM7/19/21
I'm on the mobile gizmo now so can't post a link, but the response tune here would be Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush with "Don't Give Up".

:)
Message has been deleted

George J. Dance

Jul 21, 2021, 8:58:28 AM7/21/21
On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 12:57:54 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 12:37:28 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:

> > > He/she already knew this, she/he any phony Clay are trolling and you bit.
> > They're trolling me as well. I'm still wondering whether I should bite.
> I suggest you ignore them.

I tried ignoring for a few days; didn't help.

> A cento is fair use if a reference to the source(s) is/are provided.

I'm sorry, Karen, but I disagree with that, and think it's a serious misstep in thinking about the issue. Crediting one's sources is 'fair' in the sense of 'nice' or 'good', but as a criterion for "fair use" strictly speaking (in the legal, and I'd say the moral, senses) it's a red herring. Whether a work is fair use or infringement depends on whether or not the usage was transformative; whether it resulted in a new work, with its own unique subject and theme, or in a mere repetition of the original.

> NG indulges in satirical hyperbole, often to humorous effect.

I guess, if you enjoy, but that has little attraction for me..

NG reminds me of a dumbed-down Gary Gamble (whom we mentioned the other day). Like NG, he thought he was a wit. Like NG, he was half right.

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 21, 2021, 9:38:52 AM7/21/21
On Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 8:58:28 AM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 12:57:54 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > They're trolling me as well. I'm still wondering whether I should bite.
> > I suggest you ignore them.
>
> I tried ignoring for a few days; didn't help.
>
> > A cento is fair use if a reference to the source(s) is/are provided.
>
> I'm sorry, Karen, but I disagree with that, and think it's a serious misstep in thinking about the issue. Crediting one's sources is 'fair' in the sense of 'nice' or 'good', but as a criterion for "fair use" strictly speaking (in the legal, and I'd say the moral, senses) it's a red herring. Whether a work is fair use or infringement depends on whether or not the usage was transformative; whether it resulted in a new work, with its own unique subject and theme, or in a mere repetition of the original.

That's your prerogative. I still think providing sources is needed, and I'm not the only one.
https://cmsimpact.org/code/code-best-practices-fair-use-poetry/

> > NG indulges in satirical hyperbole, often to humorous effect.
>
> I guess, if you enjoy, but that has little attraction for me..

NG has a fertile, if nasty, imagination. My imagination just doesn't seek out those dark corners, so it's novel and amusing to me. I'm more inclined to whimsy, mild slapstick and scatology.

> NG reminds me of a dumbed-down Gary Gamble (whom we mentioned the other day). Like NG, he thought he was a wit. Like NG, he was half right.

I disagree with you wrt GG as well.

J. Corey Connor

Jul 21, 2021, 9:42:40 AM7/21/21
Referencing source material allows your reader to know what to look
for, and how to appreciate your work in context of its inspiration. The
wit/half-wit joke is older than you are.

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 21, 2021, 10:14:55 AM7/21/21

Will Dockery

Jul 21, 2021, 10:46:04 AM7/21/21
On Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 8:58:28 AM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 12:57:54 PM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > They're trolling me as well. I'm still wondering whether I should bite.
> > I suggest you ignore them.
>
> I tried ignoring for a few days; didn't help.

Yes, we are often told ignore the troll, don't feed the troll, and so on, but this new vsriant of troll keeps on going.

George can't just look like other way while the trolls smear his name endlessly.

> > A cento is fair use if a reference to the source(s) is/are provided.
>
> I'm sorry, Karen, but I disagree with that, and think it's a serious misstep in thinking about the issue. Crediting one's sources is 'fair' in the sense of 'nice' or 'good', but as a criterion for "fair use" strictly speaking (in the legal, and I'd say the moral, senses) it's a red herring. Whether a work is fair use or infringement depends on whether or not the usage was transformative; whether it resulted in a new work, with its own unique subject and theme, or in a mere repetition of the original.
>
> > NG indulges in satirical hyperbole, often to humorous effect.
>
> I guess, if you enjoy, but that has little attraction for me..
>
> NG reminds me of a dumbed-down Gary Gamble (whom we mentioned the other day). Like NG, he thought he was a wit. Like NG, he was half right.

Nancy Gene is much more of a malicious stalker type than Gary Gamble was, although he did try his hand at that, as well.

Ash Wurthing

Jul 25, 2021, 5:44:29 AM7/25/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 3:31:40 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 11:08:25 AM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:

EXHIBIT A

George J. Dance

Jul 25, 2021, 5:57:24 AM7/25/21
On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 12:04:57 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:
> On Monday, July 19, 2021 at 3:47:07 PM UTC, George J. Dance wrote:
> > On Sunday, July 18, 2021 at 6:05:54 PM UTC-4, Zod wrote:
> > > This is all so absurd...
> > Reminds me of a Depeche Mode lyric:
> >
> > "It all seems so stupid, it makes me want to give up;
> > But why should I give up when it all seems so stupid?"
> >
> George Dance, the rug at your home must be really lumpy with things that you have swept under there.
>
> Since your plagiarism has been demonstrated here multiple times

You certainly haven't 'demonstrated' that here, or anywhere else that I've seen. If you mean that "multiple" people have called me a plagiarist, that's true; but all that demonstrates is that people like you have a habit of calling other people plagiarists.

> , it seems that you have a problem (lack of talent, inspiration, or just being lazy) with producing original work.

It seems you think writing a cento is easier than writing whatever you feel like; IOW, that you've never actually tried to write a cento and know nothing about it. That's fine with me; if you want to remain ignorant, and to keep calling me names to demonstrate your own ignorance, you go right ahead.

> All of the poems that you supposed wrote are now suspect.

Wonderful. Then I suggest you go through them and actually find some plagiarism - not just once but 'multiple times'. Then you can write things like "your plagiarism has been demonstrated here multiple times" and have it be more than just a libellous smear.

George J. Dance

Jul 25, 2021, 6:55:41 AM7/25/21
Yes, Ash. I've read all that. I wrote most of it. After I told Pendragon the poem was a cento, and credited Syd Barrett's lyrics as the source (in the same thread in which I'd posted the poem), both he and Karen advised me to label it "a cento" (which I've done) and to credit Barrett in the poem (which I didn't do, for the reasons you quoted, though I did make sure he was credited elsewhere). None of us said a word about plagiarism.

You claimed that I "can be considered" a plagiarist because of that; that you weren't calling me a plagiarist yourself, but defending Jim's Gang of Vulcaneers doing it as fair comment; that they or anyone else can call someone a plagiarist if they "consider" him or her to be one. Which I told you was mealy-mouthed - plagiarism is a serious offense, too serious for people to just make up the rules for themselves.

I'm do not agree that you or the Vulcaneers can call whomever they want a plagiarist, whenever they want, when I'm not sure you even know what plagiarism means. I've offered you a definition - "attempting to pass someone else's work off as one's own" - but you haven't told me whether you agree with that or not (your only response being to lame me about some alleged "grammar errors."

If someone doesn't know what plagiarism is, they can of course wrongly decide that some other person is a plagiarist; that's an excusable error in judgement, and not a lie. But that does not excuse their going around calling that other person a plagiarist; as I've said, that's a serious charge that has to be supported, otherwise it's libel.

Michael Pendragon

Jul 25, 2021, 1:03:39 PM7/25/21
Plagiarism isn't determined by one's motivations, as those cannot be proven.

Plagiarism is determined by the act itself.

When you posted your poem without having labeled it as a cento and/or crediting the original author, you committed an act of plagiarism.

I don't believe that you were trying to pass the work off as having been entirely your own. I think you felt that the title made it clear that the poem was a cento based on the lyrics of a Pink Floyd album.

But your intentions don't have any bearing on the act: you wrote, posted (and published) the poem without having identified it as a cento or having given proper attribution to the author.

And, as a result, both NancyGene and I were misled into believing that the poem had been a completely original work of yours.

You made a similar error several years ago, when you'd posted a Leonard Cohen poem without an attribution.

Again, I don't believe that you were trying to pass the poem off as your own work.

However, the result was still the same: you plagiarized Leonard Cohen.

I would not label you as a plagiarist, because I don't believe that you had intended to pass off either poem as an original work of yours. But that doesn't negate the fact that you have committed plagiarism twice within this group.

If Jim, NancyGene and Ash call you a plagiarist as a result, they are not doing so out of ignorance... or even due to "an excusable error in judgement." They are absolutely correct in their judgement, because you have plagiarized both Leonard Cohen and Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett.

I do, however, believe that they are doing so out of malice. But their motivations have no bearing on the facts.

I also believe that your attempts to justify your acts only make you appear more guilty than you actually are.

Your best defense is for you to simply state the truth: that while you'd inadvertently plagiarized both Cohen and Barrett, you had done so out of carelessness; not out of any misguided attempt to pass their works off as your own.

We all make mistakes. And we should all be mature enough to forgive the mistakes of others.

It's only when others refuse to admit to their mistakes (or, as in this case, attempt to justify their mistakes), that their mistakes cannot be excused. And this is only because one's failure to accept responsibility for their mistakes will only lead to their making the same mistakes again.

ME

Jul 25, 2021, 1:27:30 PM7/25/21
GD is a dishonest second hander.

Michael Pendragon

Jul 25, 2021, 1:44:36 PM7/25/21
That is not what I said, ME.

Karen Tellefsen

Jul 25, 2021, 2:12:41 PM7/25/21
I think it is time we dropped this. George is labeling this a cento now and I doubt he would present a cento again with out labeling it such after this bullshit storm.

George J. Dance

Jul 29, 2021, 8:19:19 AM7/29/21
Those aren't "centos", as they use complete poems. I believe the term is "cut-ups".

W-Dockery

Jul 29, 2021, 8:37:19 AM7/29/21
George J. Dance wrote:

>> > That's your prerogative. I still think providing sources is needed, and I'm not the only one.
>> > https://cmsimpact.org/code/code-best-practices-fair-use-poetry/

>> > NG has a fertile, if nasty, imagination. My imagination just doesn't seek out those dark corners, so it's novel and amusing to me. I'm more inclined to whimsy, mild slapstick and scatology.

>> > I disagree with you wrt GG as well.
>
>> Between Paterson and centos, the coincidences keep piling up lately. Centos should reference sources.
>>
>> https://oddballmagazine.com/incentovise-34-armendinger-estella-sandoval-silberblatt/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=incentovise-34-armendinger-estella-sandoval-silberblatt
>
> Those aren't "centos", as they use complete poems. I believe the term is "cut-ups".

Which is why Senetto's isn't a Cento, since it simply copies my poem word for word.

Edward Rochester Esq.

Jul 29, 2021, 8:53:58 AM7/29/21
You're a bit confused, which isn't shocking.

You wrote a story, I said to you, that would make a good poem, you agreed, I wrote it....your prose, my poem, including title.

Now if you want me to go through your junk and re-write everything you do, I could do that rather quickly, I'll cento your ass off or we can call this a day,
I cannot help your dry drunk approach to everything.

Story over.

George J. Dance

Jul 29, 2021, 10:39:48 AM7/29/21
On Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 9:38:52 AM UTC-4, ktell...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 21, 2021 at 8:58:28 AM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:

> > > I suggest you ignore them.
> >
> > I tried ignoring for a few days; didn't help.
> >
> > > A cento is fair use if a reference to the source(s) is/are provided.
> >
> > I'm sorry, Karen, but I disagree with that, and think it's a serious misstep in thinking about the issue. Crediting one's sources is 'fair' in the sense of 'nice' or 'good', but as a criterion for "fair use" strictly speaking (in the legal, and I'd say the moral, senses) it's a red herring. Whether a work is fair use or infringement depends on whether or not the usage was transformative; whether it resulted in a new work, with its own unique subject and theme, or in a mere repetition of the original.
> That's your prerogative. I still think providing sources is needed, and I'm not the only one.
> https://cmsimpact.org/code/code-best-practices-fair-use-poetry/

That looks identical to the "Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Poetry" on my wiki:
https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Fair_use_for_poetry

I agree that's a best practice. It's an even better practice if one takes text from a living author. Even where it's "artistically inappropriate" (as the sources put it) to list all the sources in with the poem, they can be credited somewhere else, something affixed or linked to the poem that the reader can access them.

I just objected to your conflating that with "fair use" - that's a legal term for using copyrighted material, and it's relevant here, since I clearly used copyrighted sources for my cento. It is, though a separate issue which has come up; as I understand it, NGBS (with or without help from "Pink Floyd's lawyers") is declaring it illegal, and combing through my ouevre to find more evidence of illegal activity. Which is the big difference between the issues: If I simply used a less than best practice, I can fix that by simply changing the poem; whereas, if I committed an illegal act, it remains illegal no matter what i do in the future; I'll be a thief forever.

As I told Will recently, it's like this: "You can write 100 poems, and not everyone will call you a poet. But suck just one dick ..."

It is loading more messages.