Archery in Hong Kong

T.P.C.Lee

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
I will probably be in HK for at least a few months and I would like to join a local
archery club. Can anyone tell me something about "archery" in HK?
How popular is the sport there and what is the standard like?
Also, are there many archery shops and are they well stocked and what are the costs
of equipment compared with those here in UK?

Thanks for your information

Thomas

Stephen Selby

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
to cnb...@ccsun.strath.ac.uk

There are two or three clubs in Hong Kong. I belong to the Hong Kong Island Archery
Club. We shoot either VERY early in the morning, or at weekends. The range is on top
of a water reservoir on the South of the Island. Max range is about 50 metres.

Most archers are using recurves with all bells and whistles. A few compound
shooters, and one German gentleman who practices Kyudo. There are archery
competitions organised every few months. Shooting is pretty informal, but under
safety supervision with standard signals.

Members or visitors must provide their own bows and arrows. If you would like to get
in contact with me when you arrive, I should be delighted to take you along on a
Sunday morning and introduce you. Phone me at 2895-4488 (or 2961-6888 in office
hours.) Joining would be simple and inexpensive.

There are two suppliers of archery equipment. One in Tsim Sha Tsui, and one in Tsuen
Wan. They have a limited stock, but you can get most essential supplies from them.
They are expensive by world standards. Don't come to Hong Kong for archery bargains
- buy from Quicks.

Look forward to seeing you!
--
Stephen Selby
| (Intellectual Property (IP) Department, Hong Kong (HK)) |

Yip Chung Ping

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
Stephen Selby (srs...@hk.super.net) wrote:

: cnb...@ccsun.strath.ac.uk ("T.P.C.Lee") wrote:
: >I will probably be in HK for at least a few months and I would like to join a local
: >archery club. Can anyone tell me something about "archery" in HK?
: >How popular is the sport there and what is the standard like?
: >Also, are there many archery shops and are they well stocked and what are the costs
: >of equipment compared with those here in UK?

: There are two or three clubs in Hong Kong. I belong to the Hong Kong Island Archery

There are AT LEAST TEN clubs in Hong Kong, mostly (if not all !) affiliated
to THE HONG KONG ARCHERY ASSOCIATION (HKAA). HKAA is the only local FITA
representative.

: Club. We shoot either VERY early in the morning, or at weekends. The range is on top

: of a water reservoir on the South of the Island. Max range is about 50 metres.

There are shooting grounds with longer than 100 metres (FITA standard).
I don't want to quot the clubs name (I am not very sure about there
English name. He..). Better check with HKAA! They should know every thing
about archery in Hong Kong. But... I can't recall there phone number
at the meantime...

: Most archers are using recurves with all bells and whistles. A few compound

: shooters, and one German gentleman who practices Kyudo. There are archery
: competitions organised every few months. Shooting is pretty informal, but under
: safety supervision with standard signals.
: Members or visitors must provide their own bows and arrows. If you would like to get
: in contact with me when you arrive, I should be delighted to take you along on a
: Sunday morning and introduce you. Phone me at 2895-4488 (or 2961-6888 in office
: hours.) Joining would be simple and inexpensive.

The above infomration is ture for Stephen's home club, not necessary
other clubs in Hong Kong. Most archers use recurves bow, and this is
only acceptable one in competition.

: There are two suppliers of archery equipment. One in Tsim Sha Tsui, and one in Tsuen

: Wan. They have a limited stock, but you can get most essential supplies from them.
: They are expensive by world standards. Don't come to Hong Kong for archery bargains
: - buy from Quicks.

There could be more than 2 suppliers, but you need a local guide la :)
There is no suppliers in the above mentioned place, as far as I know ..??
Stock is limited. Choice is limited as well. Only Beman, Hoya, Samick and
Yamaha (Win & Win as well?) is available. Ha, bring some to Hong Kong you
could make a small bussiness!

Sorry for introduing confusion rather than information providing :-(
Do ask more before you come.
How long are you going to stay in Hong Kong? You may enjoy more FUN
in other aspect. Don't just stay for archery.

Best Wish

Anchovy Hui.
East Kowloon Archery Club and
the Archery Club, H.K. Univ. of Sci. & Tech. Student Unions

kkf...@is3.hk.super.net

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96

> There are more than ten archery clubs and the HKAA phone number is 25048148
Also as far as I know, archery equipment is expensive here in HK.
I think the guy tries to mention 'PERFECT' sports store in Austin Avenue in Tsum Sha Tsui
and the 'FREEMAN' archery store in Tsuen Wan. However, I am not sure if FREEMAN is
still in business.
Most archery fellows I met are helpful and wishes you nice shooting for everyone reading this message

snipers...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2017, 11:40:22 PM2/21/17
Hello im working hir in hk for 1yr already,i am frm philippines.may i knw f i cn join any of this clubs even f im frm tsuen wan dstrict?is der a membership fee?if i cn join d club s it ok f only weekends esp sun i cud come?since my day off s sunday.tnx