string material?

Hans Fiers

Dec 21, 2002, 2:34:10 PM12/21/02
hello fellow archery lovers.

I am not so familiar with recurve bows (use to shoot with a compound).
I have some questions about a second hand recurve bow I just bought .

Brand: Nishizawa TD11, never heard of this name before.
Does anyone knows how old this bow would be approximitly??
Whitch material should I use for a new string?? should I use Dyneema , fast
flight or dacron??
I prefere dyneema, but I 'm not sure the limbs can take it? should i take
the risk??(draw weigt 35 or 37 lbs)
On the bottom limbs there are some numbers about the draw weight in
relation to the bow lenght.
But I don't know how to meassure the exact bow lengt (with or without
string, from top to top or from groove to groove?
Tiller on the bottom limb is 11 mm less then on the upper limb, is this a
problem for accuratie??

Thanks for any replies in advance!!

Hans.

Jens Fudge

Dec 21, 2002, 2:59:06 PM12/21/02
I dont know how old the bow is, in fact I have never heard of it.
So which material to use as string, I couldnt say.
But about measuring the bow length, assuming that this particular bow
measures the "normal" way, is to measure from tip to tip following the
countour of the bow. It shouldnt really make any diff. if the bow is strung
or not....I havent tried to measure a bow, but this is how I was explained
it some 15 years ago...

Jens Fudge, Archersoft
www.archersoft.dk

"Hans Fiers" <hans...@zeelandnet.nl> skrev i en meddelelse

david bell

Dec 21, 2002, 4:10:19 PM12/21/02
Nishizawa is a Japanese brand from the eighties! so it should be ok for a
fastflight but may baulk at the latest materials.?

"Hans Fiers" <hans...@zeelandnet.nl> wrote in message
> [...]

HooDooWitch

Dec 21, 2002, 5:05:35 PM12/21/02
"Hans Fiers" <hans...@zeelandnet.nl> managed to post the following

If you're unsure, try Dacron to start with. Especially if it's an
older bow.

The tiller *may* be a problem if it's 11 mm. It may mean that one of
the limbs has become hard through use or stored incorrectly for a long
period.. Can you adjust this? I can't find any web based info on the
Nishizawa TD11.

Hope this helps
===========
HooDooWitch

Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big and wear glasses if you need 'em

ma...@mss.tzo.com

Dec 21, 2002, 5:50:52 PM12/21/02
Nishizawa bows were legendary for their speed and their stability. They were
also very expensive. The limbs used verticle lamination of wood in their core.

If the bow has been well taken care of you should have a good bow to shoot. I
don't know how they compare to today's bows.

Fastflight or Dyneema is appropriate. I would probably choose one of the
"softer" varieties say Angel Dyneema.
--
Marty Sasaki ma...@mss.tzo.com
Arlington, Massachusetts USA

shadyshark

Dec 22, 2002, 6:11:40 AM12/22/02
Wow, an old Nishi...
20+ years old, I'd guess. Nishizawa, were a *very* expensive brand,
and supposed to be very good. I think they sold complete sets of
colour co-ordinated bow and stabilisers (at least that's what a friend
of mine had...). One of the first mfrs to use carbon fibre limbs (I
was told).

I'd guess it can take most string materials; after all, kevlar would
have been the material of choice back then (much rougher on a bow than
most modern materials, I think). If in doubt, start off with dacron,
and move on to something faster when you're happy that the bow is in
good condition.

11mm tiller doesn't sound out of normal range to me, though I can
never remember which way is positive and which negative...

As with any old bow, treat it carefully and watch and listen for
anything odd.

david bell

Dec 22, 2002, 5:15:03 PM12/22/02
Don't be shy Shady - 'I was told' - you seem to know a lot about this
ancient brand!

but you are right Kevlar was around and Nishis were top flight , but limbs
were glass and wood so might deterioriate , a little precaution and some
forgiving fastflight with a few 20+ turns on the string should be ok.

"shadyshark" <shady...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

John Grove

Dec 23, 2002, 5:14:22 AM12/23/02
>Brand: Nishizawa TD11, never heard of this name before.
Nishizawa were the most expensive bow in Quicks catalogue. I only know
of one man who had one. They were sold as a complete kit with
stabilizers, button, rest etc. all included.
It could be used with kevlar so it should be OK with modern string
materials as I don't think they are as non stretch as kevlar.

If you havn't used kevlar (bang) then I will tell you Kevlar was so non
stretch that it used to shoot on one strand until that broke then
another then another until the string broke - bang. Average 1500 shots
from a string.
--
John Grove

ma...@mss.tzo.com

Dec 23, 2002, 10:30:48 AM12/23/02
In article <lOj4MAA+...@sherwood3.demon.co.uk>,

>If you havn't used kevlar (bang) then I will tell you Kevlar was so non
>stretch that it used to shoot on one strand until that broke then
>another then another until the string broke - bang. Average 1500 shots
>from a string.

Actually the stretch characteristics of Kevlar and Spectra/Dyneema are roughly
the same, roughly less than 5%. Some grades of Spectra have less stretch than
Kevlar.

Kevlar had other problems which made it's use in bowstrings dicey.

shadyshark

Dec 23, 2002, 10:33:07 AM12/23/02
1500!!! I always thought it was a bit like russian roulette after the
first 500...

(And no, I never owned a Nishizawa, just drooled over someone elses.
The best I could afford at the time was a secondhand KG1 - still
shootable, though I haven't used it in anger for a few years now).

loui...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2018, 5:58:15 PM9/27/18
I have a NISHISIWHA bow. A 2880 it's a 68inch @ 41 pnd draw at 28inch max. I draw a 31inch max resulting in a total of 32 inch draw with a 54pnd draw weight.

Dacron B50 works just fine for me on a 16 strand string, Just remember to double serve the loops for durability