homemade target building

Paul Much

Apr 29, 1994, 12:09:30 PM4/29/94

I am considering building a portable target stand for archery practice.
I was going to piece together PVC pipe for the stand and frame.

The real question is: does anyone know of a (hopefully cheap) material
that I can mount in the stand to shoot my arrows into? I don't want my
arrows to penetrate all the way through. Maybe foam, stryfoam, etc.

Would there be something at a building supply store that I could use?
Rigid insulation?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

-Paul

James F Johnson

May 1, 1994, 12:24:32 AM5/1/94
In article <2prbfq...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com>,

Paul Much <mu...@asc017.ets.ford.com> wrote:

>I am considering building a portable target stand for archery practice.
>I was going to piece together PVC pipe for the stand and frame.

Good idea. Would probably be easier on arrows than the metal stands
you often see. And pvc is cheaper to replace than xx78.

>The real question is: does anyone know of a (hopefully cheap) material
>that I can mount in the stand to shoot my arrows into? I don't want my
>arrows to penetrate all the way through. Maybe foam, stryfoam, etc.
>
>Would there be something at a building supply store that I could use?
>Rigid insulation?

All of the foams have two big drawbacks.
1) high price
2) low durability

If you are shooting braodheads, and cannot afford to dedicate space to a
sand pile, then foam is pretty much the way to go.

My experience with the insulation boards is that you need a lot to stop
an arrow, it shoots out fast, and it makes a horrible mess. Little blue
flecks all over, forever.

The best target foam is a high density self-healing polyethelyne,
trade name EthaFoam. This is what the commercial broadhead targets are made
of. Buying commercial targets is the most expensive way to get this foam.
It would be cheaper to find a supplier of the raw material, and cut it to
make targets yourself, but I don't know of a wholesale source.

For field points, the best thing by far, for price and durability, is
a burlap bag stuffed with poly sheeting. Make it yourself. Two to six mil
sheeting from the hardware store, burlap from a fabric shop.
Make it a foot thick, and as big as you like. Stuff it good-n-full,
and it will stop any arrow, from any bow, and last forever doing it.

I have one of these that is five years old, and has been shot thousands
of times with an 80 lb bow tossing 600+ grain arrows at better than 200 fps.
Never had a pass thru.

Godd shooting !

Jim Johnson

Bill Blohm

May 2, 1994, 4:01:23 PM5/2/94
Keith Hearn (khe...@pyrps5.eng.pyramid.com) wrote:

> I hope you never hit the frame. I doubt pvc pipe would stand up very
> well after even a couple of arrow strikes. Of course, if you never
> miss the target, this won't be a problem.

The point is valid, but I think that the curved surface would deflect
most of the hits to the frame. One way around it would be to make the
frame big enough to hang the target from, perhaps. Sort of like a
swing set. With the PVC elbows and all, assembly and disassembly would
be pretty quick and the whole could collaps down to a small package.
For the top frame, where the weight of the filled burlap bag might make
it sag, perhaps a wooden insert could be put in that pipe section.

Just my $.02 on the frame.

Bill B.

Keith Hearn

May 2, 1994, 12:21:04 PM5/2/94
>I am considering building a portable target stand for archery practice.
>I was going to piece together PVC pipe for the stand and frame.

I hope you never hit the frame. I doubt pvc pipe would stand up very

well after even a couple of arrow strikes. Of course, if you never
miss the target, this won't be a problem.

>The real question is: does anyone know of a (hopefully cheap) material

>that I can mount in the stand to shoot my arrows into? I don't want my
>arrows to penetrate all the way through. Maybe foam, stryfoam, etc.

I've found that a burlap sack full of old plastic bags (grocery bags
are perfect, but bread bags, garbage bags, and the bags they deliver
my newspaper in on rainy days are all good, too) works quite well at
stopping field points.

Keith

--
Keith Hearn \ There are times when
khe...@pyramid.com \ I think a nuclear war

jes...@iastate.edu

May 2, 1994, 6:44:25 PM5/2/94
In article <2q3m6j$3...@hpbs3591.boi.hp.com> bbl...@hpbs1686.boi.hp.com (Bill Blohm) writes:

>Keith Hearn (khe...@pyrps5.eng.pyramid.com) wrote:
>
>> I hope you never hit the frame. I doubt pvc pipe would stand up very
>> well after even a couple of arrow strikes. Of course, if you never
>> miss the target, this won't be a problem.
>
>The point is valid, but I think that the curved surface would deflect
>most of the hits to the frame. One way around it would be to make the
>frame big enough to hang the target from, perhaps. Sort of like a
>swing set. With the PVC elbows and all, assembly and disassembly would
>be pretty quick and the whole could collaps down to a small package.
>For the top frame, where the weight of the filled burlap bag might make
>it sag, perhaps a wooden insert could be put in that pipe section.
>
>Just my $.02 on the frame.
>
>Bill B.

I think this will be too wobbley unless large diameter (2"+) pipe is
used. What's wrong with a 2x4? At least if you hit it, it won't go
caroming off into oblivion which might be a problem in some cases if you
hit round objects. Even 2x4s can do this if hit just right (or wrong -
if it results in an arrow stuck in your neighbor's garage :( ).

My target is a pair of 2x4 A-frames with a couple of cross pieces at ground
level and another at the top with a plywood top to keep the rain off.

A polyfiber filled target works spectacularly well at stopping the arrows.
It is the only target other than sand that I can really remove arrows with
just two fingers. Worthless for broadheads though.

I hung some carpet behind it to stop shots that miss the bag, but three
layers of carpet only slows, not stops, arrows from my longbow.

Brent Danielson
jes...@iastate.edu

Paul Much

May 3, 1994, 8:51:14 AM5/3/94

Thanks to all who responded to the original post--I received much valuable
information. I decided to make the frame out of 1.5" PVC, mainly for
portability. 2X4's was another option that I considered, but seemed too
heavy to be portable.

The frame uses (4) legs to form triangles on both sides of the frame. I
used supports on both front and back sets of legs, for stability. I used
a burlag bag, filled with foam, which hangs from the center.

The rig is stable enough (an arrow hasn't nocked it down yet, even arrows
flying at about 250 FPS). As far as hitting the frame is concerned, I
understand your concern. That's the trade off for portability. I'm a
fair shot--I think I'll be able to keep arrows from it.

-Paul

Gary Paisley

May 3, 1994, 11:19:53 AM5/3/94
mu...@iao.ford.com (Paul Much) writes :

>The real question is: does anyone know of a (hopefully cheap) material
>that I can mount in the stand to shoot my arrows into? I don't want my
>arrows to penetrate all the way through. Maybe foam, stryfoam, etc.

I live next to a large lake, and during the spring flood stage
styrofoam boat dock material often comes floating down for the
taking. This stuff new is 12" thick, and in 4' by 8' blocks.
It is also expensive ( $150 and up) . Anyway, the scavenged stuff
is free, and usually of some more or less irregular shape due to
wave action, duck pecking, rock bashing, etc.

I use two of these back to back for my back stop. I shoot a
45# recurve, and field points penetrate around 18" or so.

I also carved up one into a 3D deer target. It works quite well.

I wouldn't *buy* the stuff to use as a back stop, as it doesn't close
up the holes. Also, you get little foam punch outs cluttering up the
grass. These vanish in time due to the ultraviolet degradation
of styrene. But in my case, I'm solving a disposal problem anyway.

Gary

Rob McNeur

May 4, 1994, 7:31:08 AM5/4/94
In article <2prbfq...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com>, mu...@iao.ford.com (Paul Much) writes:

> I am considering building a portable target stand for archery practice.
> I was going to piece together PVC pipe for the stand and frame.
>
> The real question is: does anyone know of a (hopefully cheap) material
> that I can mount in the stand to shoot my arrows into? I don't want my
> arrows to penetrate all the way through. Maybe foam, stryfoam, etc.
>
> Would there be something at a building supply store that I could use?
> Rigid insulation?

Depends what you have access to in the US.

Over here, lots of folks use corrugated cardboard, edge on.
Get lots of old cardboard boxes, slice them into strips about 6"-8" wide and
as long as you want the target and stack them on top of each other, tying
them into tight bundles.
Stack the bundles on top of each other to the height of the target required,
pin target face on the front.
Likewise we also use strips of fine fibre board, similiarly sliced in
narrow strips and stacked edge on (Not sure what its called in the US but
its a soft building/insulation board)

Either type works fine and doesn't spread too much rubbish over the
landscape the way some styrofoam etc will after having been hacked around
by a few arrows.

(
/ \
/ )
>>---|-> get my point ?
\ )
\ / Rob McNeur
( R...@ccc.govt.nz

Douglas Zimmerman

May 4, 1994, 12:50:03 PM5/4/94
I have constructed a very light and portable 4' diameter target for under $100.
I used 3 6-foot 1x4's for a standard tripod stand, plus a few little pieces to
hold up the target face. On the front of the 1x4's where they are behind the
face, I put on split radiator hose, which aborbs most of the arrow hit before
it splinters the wood.

I use a 4'diameter, 4" thick disk of '4 pound' ethafoam for a target, which
I picked up for $80 from a local plastics company (look for Plastics, Foam
in the yellow pages). It is getting a bit chewed up after 6 months of use
by my local club, but no arrows have yet gone all the way through (even
from a 55# bow). I am planning to put a Kevlar Promat backstop behind the
center.

The whole thing lives in my car, a Toyota FX hatchback. The stand is easily
carried in one arm, though the target needs both hands. I use it each week,
having to cart the whole thing across the 100 yard field to and from my car.
If I had a mat even an inch larger in any dimension, it wouldn't fit in my
hatchback.

The plastics company I bought it from had an old report on use of ethafoam
as archery targets. Basically, they think that a 4" thick 2 layer target,
with the back 2" made out of heavier foam, is best. I tend to agree, but
the sompany had a bunch of 4' disks made of 2 layers of medium (4 pound)
foam already made up.

Ethafoam is normally available in 2' and 4' widths, usually 2" thick.
I was quoted a price of about $80 for a 4'x9'x2" sheet, which I could have
then cut and glued to make a target.

I have also recently obtained the address of a company that makes really
good ethafoam FITA targets, some 6" thick with a thin layer of heavy foam
on front and back. I believe they are under $100 each, but I don't
have the address at work.

For heavy bows or compounds, 4" of 4 pound ethafoam is probably too light.
But heavy foam makes the arrows hard to pull out. I would suggest having
at least a 6" target, with one layer of heavy foam, if that's what you
are shooting.

--
Douglas Zimmerman k...@template.com uunet!template!kdz 703-318-1218
Template Software 13100 Worldgate Dr, Ste 340 Herndon, VA 22070-4382

eise...@acfcluster.nyu.edu

May 2, 1994, 12:26:12 PM5/2/94
>The real question is: does anyone know of a (hopefully cheap) material
>that I can mount in the stand to shoot my arrows into? I don't want my
>arrows to penetrate all the way through. Maybe foam, stryfoam, etc.
>
>Would there be something at a building supply store that I could use?
>Rigid insulation?

Carpet remnants work well.

Josh

Alfred Hovdestad

May 4, 1994, 1:55:55 PM5/4/94
Rob McNeur (r...@ccc.govt.nz) wrote:
: In article <2prbfq...@eccdb1.pms.ford.com>, mu...@iao.ford.com (Paul Much) writes:
: > The real question is: does anyone know of a (hopefully cheap) material

: > that I can mount in the stand to shoot my arrows into? I don't want my
: > arrows to penetrate all the way through. Maybe foam, stryfoam, etc.
: >
: > Would there be something at a building supply store that I could use?
: > Rigid insulation?
: >
: Likewise we also use strips of fine fibre board, similiarly sliced in
: narrow strips and stacked edge on (Not sure what its called in the US but
: its a soft building/insulation board)

In Canada it is called tentest. I am building one tonight (if you
want I can post tomorrow and let you know how it goes).

The procedure is to cut the 4'x8' sheet into strips as wide as you
want the stand to be thick; and as long as you want them high. I am
making mine 4" thick and 2'x3'(for the 1898 Jeux Canada Games we made
them 8" thick and 4'x4', but you needed an ATV to move them :-).

Then you cut a hole in each end and run a threaded rod (aka `ready
rod') through and place a 2x4 (or whatever) through it. The cost of a
1/2" sheet of tentest is ~$8.75. Two sheets should make enough
material for a 2'x3' stand with leftover material to replace the
sections that wear out.

Time for an ascii diagram :-)

4'x8' sheet of 1/2" tentest

| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |

Cut as follows

+-- -------------------------------------------------+
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | 2'
| | |
| | |
| | |
+-- -------------------------------------------------+
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
+-- -------------------------------------------------+
4" ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Then place them together edgewise with a threaded rod running through it.

. =]||||||||||||||||||||||||[=
. ||||||||||||||||||||||||
. ||||||||||||||||||||||||
. ||||||||||||||||||||||||
2' ||||||||||||||||||||||||
. ||||||||||||||||||||||||
. ||||||||||||||||||||||||
. ||||||||||||||||||||||||
. ||||||||||||||||||||||||
. =]||||||||||||||||||||||||[=

--
Alfred Hovdestad |e-mail: hovd...@herald.usask.ca
Systems Programmer | or: Alfred.H...@usask.ca

gra...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 2:50:35 PM9/30/16
Use a cardboard box filled with old clothes. That is what my daughter and I use to shoot at in our back yard

colli...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2018, 10:10:05 PM8/7/18
Wondering a few things...
First: is this post really from
Second: Douglas, do you know the name of that company that had the $100 fita targets?
Third: What was the name of the company you got your 48" circular target from?