Pucketts Bloodtrailer broadheads

Mr. Robert L. Bailey ii

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Has anyone ever shot a deer with the "Bloodtrailer" broadhead? I'm
wondering how well they perform. E mail me if you have.

SEE YA,
Rob

Russell Hillis

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97
I don't know about pucketts, but I do know that Rockets work great.

Kevin Liddle

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

Jim Brabston wrote:

> Robert -
>
> A few years ago, I shot a nice buck with a Puckett's Bloodtrailer broad
> head. This was the old style 100 grain broad head (conical shaped head
> with point on the top) that was non expanding. I shot the buck in the
> heart @ 20yds, and did not get a complete pass through. The deer traveled
> about 60 yds before collapsing.
>
> Penetration seemed to be a problem, but when I called Puckett's to ask them
> about this, they said that they had heard about the problem and decided to
> adjust the broad head design. The new broad head is called the Austin
> Wedge Head. I haven't used the Puckett's variety broad heads since then.
>
> Anyway, thats my report.
>
> Thanks -
>
> JIM
>
> Russell Hillis <arr...@telusplanet.net> wrote in article
One of my buddies tried them. He had problems with penetration too.
They are great for accuracy but he went back to Thunderheads after
he shot a deer and the arrow did not go all the way in.

> <33F75A...@telusplanet.net>...

Jim Brabston

Pisces3D

Aug 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/20/97

Garbage like puckett heads are what has given all expandable broadheads a
bad name. The new types of expandables (rockets, spitfires, jak hammers)
are much better than pucketts ever were. Everyone has a tired old story
about how pucketts didn't work one time, so they rag on all expandable
heads. Just buy some that have blades in a swept back angle to the
ferrule when open. ( vortex heads are almost perpindicular to the ferrule
when open which is a bad thing if you want penetration.)

PISCESofNO

Aug 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/22/97

Someone posted

:he spitfire's leading blade edge is blunt to grab hide to help open it
(anti-penetration) and the blades lock closed with a built in snap (more
anti-penetration). But still the spitfire is an excellant head from what
I've seen so far. But it is new, just came out last deer season and I've
only seen (witnessed after the shot) 3 kills. None were pass throughs,
but they killed like poison. Very short easy to follow blood-trails. In
my limited experience with them they are equal to, not better than Vortex.
000000000000
I think vortex heads were a good idea in thier day. They still would be
if they didn't have blade that were perpendicular to the ferrule. Have
you ever tried to cut something with a knife holding it perpindicular to
what you want to cut instead of a sharp angle to it? It doesn't work so
good even with a sharp knife. The leading edge of a spitfire is not
sharpened because it doesn't cut, it slides around to pull open the
blades. Spitfires also open easier than vortexs with the heavy rubber
o-rings. A vortex works good on a lung shot, but a thick bone will stop
a vortex with that staight out blade design quite often. Heads like
spitfires function m,uch like a traditional head when hitting bone-no
better or worse. I've seen vortex wounds that looked like a hatchet hit
the deer, and i've also seen them stop on impact. especially on hogs or
other thick skinned game.I just got some of the new titanium rockets with
.050 thick blades and one piece head/ferrule. I can't wait to let one
fly.

dric...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2018, 8:28:49 AM10/6/18
On Thursday, August 14, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Mr. Robert L. Bailey ii wrote:
> Has anyone ever shot a deer with the "Bloodtrailer" broadhead? I'm
> wondering how well they perform. E mail me if you have.
>
> SEE YA,
> Rob

Yes
They worked wonderful. Trying to find some for sale