Sailfin Tang eating and defecating gravel

1 view

Mike D.

Aug 16, 2005, 12:57:29 AM8/16/05
Is this possible? I thought I saw my sailfin tang pass small pieces of
gravel from his anus. Would this type of fish, or any aquarium fish actually
swallow pieces of gravel? I am almost certain I saw at least three pieces of
gravel fall from his body. I have seen this fish picking at algae on the
substrate , but I didn't think he was ingesting whole pieces of gravel.
Mike.

Derek W. Benson

Aug 16, 2005, 1:38:38 PM8/16/05
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:57:29 -0700, "Mike D." <mik...@comcast.net>
wrote:

I don't know about tangs and though it's not typically an aquarium
fish, the Ocean Catfish eats gravel.

-Derek

tmar...@graphtronics.net

Aug 16, 2005, 7:22:03 PM8/16/05
my catfish has been eating gravel lately, and it dosent seem to be
hurting him. hes a black bullhead, (fresh water) about 6 or 8 inches
long.

Frodo

Aug 17, 2005, 8:53:56 PM8/17/05
Sure it's possible. Parrotfish eat hard coral skeletons and defecate it as
well as any sand that was on it at the time.

billb

Aug 22, 2005, 3:14:17 AM8/22/05
Parrotfish eat hard coral skeletons and defecate it as
> well as any sand that was on it at the time.

and you thought YOUR lunch was lousy.

--
billb
Sorry but I don't kiss ass, yours included.
"Frodo" <he...@home.now> wrote in message
> Sure it's possible. >

Sweetsc...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2019, 5:24:49 PM1/17/19
Bro I saw my Sailfin do the same but he released a lot of it for about 20 minutes! I filmed him and to it to my local aquatic warehouse but nobody knew why he was releasing that stuff. It looks like white gravel/rock pieces coming out of its belly.