Memories of the 'great' AOL riots

plateshutoverlock

Sep 29, 2021, 3:55:09 PM9/29/21

Oh no! AOL really sucks. So let's go riot online. Yay! I feel the tinkle dripping down my leg from sheer excitement of the AOL riot about to come to pass.

"LCW TAKIN OUT "AOL" AOL RIOT JUNE 1, 1998??????????
1 view
Subscribe
General Protection Fault's profile photo
General Protection Fault
Apr 20, 1998, 12:00:00 AM

IM A UK based phreak/hack/crack etc and my girfriend in maryland USA
got this message like a million others
is it a prank or 4 reel co sid b happie to participate in takin out da
Mutha Fuckazz

PEACE

gpf...@hotmail.com

AOL RIOT JUNE 1, 1998

WARNING:
You must forward this letter to 10 people or your account will be
terminated
on June 1, 1998. All recipients of this e-mail are being tracked. When you
received this, when you forwarded it, who you forwarded it to, is all on
record. We are AOL's most elite hacker group, known as LcW. We have hacked
AOL's (easily infiltrated) systems on numerous occaisions. We have shut
down
AOL keywords, we can kick any AOL Staff member off for 24 hours, we have
gained access to Steve Case's account, we have created AOL's most famous
hacking programs (Fate X, HaVoK, HeLL RaIsEr, MaGeNtA) and we can certainly
get your credit card info. However, if you send this to 10 people, like you
are told, you will escape unharmed. We won't terminate your account and you
will be able to continue using AOL. So if you know whats best for you, you
will send this to 10 people as soon as possible. If you think we are
bluffing....just wait till June 1, and see if you can sign or not.

CAUTION: THERE WILL BE A VIRUS UPLOADED ON AOL'S MAIN SERVER ON JUNE 1,
1998.
ANY USERS WHO HAVEN'T FORWARDED THIS MESSAGE WILL AUTOMATICALLY HAVE THE
VIRUS
DOWNLOADED INTO THEIR SYSTEM. WE SUGGEST YOU FORWARD THIS MESSAGE OR YOUR
COMPUTER WILL BE FRIED.

*****

Because of the outrage of AOL's increasing prices, LcW has decided to
create
a riot on May 1, that will cause havoc on AOL. We will be sending viruses
out
to thousands of AOL users. We will be terminating accounts. We will be
hacking
into Guide chat rooms and kicking guides offline. There will be no AOL
Staff -
just complete pandemonium. If you want to join this riot, we urge you to!
You
won't have to worry about being TOSed or Reported because there will be no
Guides online! So do whatever you want - punt, scroll, tos, just turn AOL
into
a war zone!

*****

LIST OF LcW HACKERS ON AOL

We represent LcW
The following Hackers will be co-ordinating the Riot and hacking AOL's
mainframe computer, and uploading viruses into the system.

WaReZxHaCk
MaGuS
ReDxKiNG
HaVoK
SkiD
SeMeN
NoStRa
PhoneTap
InetXWeb
Psy Acid
PoiSon iV
PaUsE
CooLant
InFeRnO
XStatic
Chronic Burn
Zone Degreez
WaTcHeR

-----
AOL RIOT ON JUNE 1, 1998 - You have been warned
LcW is taking over America Online.
This is not no fucking joke either.
You have been warned.
-----

ESPO247's profile photo
ESPO247
Apr 20, 1998, 12:00:00 AM

This is a bunch of BS.
Espo
will's profile photo
will
Apr 20, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
On a day other than 20 Apr 1998 14:21:28 GMT, someone who wasnt "General Protection Fault"
AJSteiner's profile photo
AJSteiner
Apr 21, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
Letters like this constantly circulate....I get an average of one every three or so days. Except for
DaRK SkuNK's profile photo
DaRK SkuNK
Apr 26, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
This is the about the fifth time i've heard of one of these stupid little "riots". I
ESPO247's profile photo
ESPO247
Apr 27, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
>This is the about the fifth time i've heard of one of these stupid little >"riots
By ToR GoD's profile photo
By ToR GoD
Apr 27, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
useless dogshit
JHilla's profile photo
JHilla
May 2, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
Attn: LcW & All involved Your scheme to take over America Online will never work.. Will just see
Tux D Lux's profile photo
Tux D Lux
May 3, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
This is the gayest crap I've ever seen, damn Lamerz
Ninja Steve's profile photo
Ninja Steve
May 3, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
My boss is a real gay.....call 1-888-283-0540....ask for RICH or DAVE this is a gag call, no $$$
Spin DR Md's profile photo
Spin DR Md
May 12, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
I went to pick up my little brother from school(3rd grade) and this was all the lil lamerz were
Siintroy's profile photo
Siintroy
May 20, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
I heard a little circle of lamerz talking 'bout that one day in school. It's funny how they
Brian's profile photo
Brian
Jun 2, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
One girl I know was very gratitudios to me because I deleted an E-Mail she sent with Netscape. on a
JHilla's profile photo
JHilla
Jun 2, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
HEY LCW, What happened.. The service went on.. And nothing happened... ????
SNUMBER6's profile photo
SNUMBER6
Jun 2, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
>rom: jhi...@aol.com (JHilla >What happened.. The service went on.. And nothing happened... ???
PorkRhino's profile photo
PorkRhino
Jun 3, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
> The service went on.. And nothing happened... ???? =================================== Everyone
ESPO247's profile photo
ESPO247
Jun 3, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
>Gee they must have forgot all about it .... > >In the Village .... Actually I found out
Badboy6819's profile photo
Badboy6819
Jun 12, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
It was all a buch ogf bullshit anyway. Do you think that AOL never monitors mail for that kinda stuff
Siintroy's profile photo
Siintroy
Jun 13, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
Like when people were going to riot because aol was supposedly going to take away the forward button,
nbs_...@my-dejanews.com's profile photo
nbs_...@my-dejanews.com
Jun 13, 1998, 12:00:00 AM

In article <199806130250...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
AOL riots mean nothing. On any given night on AOL (From what I remember) you
could enter any chat and a wannabe hacker or just people who like being
assholes would scroll and punt people in the room. Mailbombz are constant.
TOSemail namez are alwayz full. Guidez are in M4M roomz doing whatever they
claim to do. And hundredz of people just have to sit there and take it. Hell,
I used be an asshole playing around on free accountz on AOL...now I just play
around sometimes on free accounts telneting and ftping so my real IP address
won't be logged doing shit. 12 million customerz providez a lot of comfort
space if they try to track you.

- PapeR
Natural Born Slackerz

Formerly -=CaRNaGe=-
of the Natural Born HackerZ

Pappabear3's profile photo
Pappabear3
Jun 25, 1998, 12:00:00 AM
Rioting on AOL is like taking Candy from a baby and thinking you are cool. It's childish, and
ESPO247's profile photo
ESPO247
Jun 25, 1998, 12:00:00 AM

>Rioting on AOL is like taking Candy from a baby and thinking you are cool.
>It's
>childish
Rioting ANYWHERE is "childish."
--
Espo

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one." -- Thomas Jefferson

RSA Key ID: 0x76C6AB73
DH/DSS Key ID: 0x927BED1D"

I wonder if all the twinkletoes who engaged in this 'anarchy' ever managed to get laid later in life, or got promoted up from their burger flipping job after all these years?