LibRedirect

Yamn Remailer

Feb 13, 2023, 12:05:01 PM2/13/23
A web extension that redirects YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and other requests to alternative privacy friendly frontends and backends

Why Libredirect ?

Normally you watch YouTube videos through youtube.com's server. Problem is everything you watch is tied to your Google Account. Even if you didn't use an account, you're IP address is still visible. Even if you used Tor, you still have JavaScript enabled, a programming language that can get so much information about your browser and your system it's a little creepy. Just go to deviceinfo.me or amiunique.org and see how much information is available to know about you.

So, why not disabling JavaScript? Great idea! Now YouTube is broken as it requires JavaScript to function ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's a way though to make a script that scraps data off of youtube.com and presents it in a nice simple webpage that doesn't require JavaScript. People have done this already! There's a project called Invidious that doesn't require JavaScript for you to watch YouTube videos, ex: https://yewtu.be/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Those (Invidious and others) are called alternative Frontends, where you really are still using YouTube but with a different Interface, in our case a privacy friendly one.

Use an Invidious instance with JavaScript disabled + Tor, and it's almost impossible to know who watched that video.

The code for Invidious is open source and you can run it on your own home server or personal computer. People do this already and there's a ton of Instances that are basically servers running Invidious in different parts of the world.

Using an instance with multiple people helps to mix your data together as it only exists from one end. It's like using a shared library computer.

Using multiple instances (a random one each time) will also mix your data more as request logs are now stored in multiple servers rather than in a single centralized one if they happen to store logs in the first place.

https://libredirect.github.io/index.html

rek2 hispagatos

Mar 9, 2023, 12:23:04 PM3/9/23

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.anonymous.]
On 2023-02-13, Yamn Remailer <nor...@mixmin.net> wrote:

> Libredirect ?

I been using this plugin I recommend it.

--
{gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Bozo User

Oct 19, 2023, 5:25:19 AM10/19/23
On 2023-03-09, rek2 hispagatos <re...@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.anonymous.]
> On 2023-02-13, Yamn Remailer <nor...@mixmin.net> wrote:
>>
>> Libredirect ?
>>

> I been using this plugin I recommend it.

You can try mpv+yt-dlp to watch videos.
To search them:

git://codemadness.org/frontends

git clone the repo, edit the Makefile to change the options
to be used either by OpenBSD or Linux (put a # in front
of the unneeded flags), and then run make.

In order to search yt:

~/src/frontends/youtube/cli "term to search for"

rek2 hispagatos

Oct 19, 2023, 9:06:49 AM10/19/23
Yeah, I use mpv a lot, but also when I use the CLI
I like to use invidtui(works with mpv)
so no need to pull directly from evil youtube, the idea here is to
"avoid" hitting youtube or any google or centralized site,
I usually use peertube and such but most videos are still
in YT so I use invidious for those.
https://github.com/darkhz/invidtui

Happy Hacking
ReK2

--
- {gemini,https}://{,rek2.}hispagatos.org - mastodon: @re...@hispagatos.space
- [https|gemini]://2600.Madrid - https://hispagatos.space/@rek2

Bozo User

Oct 21, 2023, 9:05:19 AM10/21/23
On 2023-10-19, rek2 hispagatos <re...@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:
> On 2023-10-19, Bozo User <an...@disroot.org> wrote:
>> On 2023-03-09, rek2 hispagatos <re...@hispagatos.org.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.anonymous.]

>>> I been using this plugin I recommend it.
>>
>> You can try mpv+yt-dlp to watch videos.
>> To search them:
>>
>> git://codemadness.org/frontends
>>
>> git clone the repo, edit the Makefile to change the options
>> to be used either by OpenBSD or Linux (put a # in front
>> of the unneeded flags), and then run make.
>>
>> In order to search yt:
>>
>> ~/src/frontends/youtube/cli "term to search for"
>
> Yeah, I use mpv a lot, but also when I use the CLI
> I like to use invidtui(works with mpv)
> so no need to pull directly from evil youtube, the idea here is to
> "avoid" hitting youtube or any google or centralized site,
> I usually use peertube and such but most videos are still
> in YT so I use invidious for those.
> https://github.com/darkhz/invidtui
>

> Happy Hacking
> ReK2