Can't a frog/toad regrow limbs?

majcm

Aug 4, 2008, 11:57:41 PM8/4/08
This may sound weird, but I'm a super animal lover (although frogs/toads are
not a preferred pet)but I just went outside to get my cat in and stepped on
a very small toad, I think it was. The motion light hadn't come on yet. I
had tennis shoes on and can't believe it was alive afterwards. I don't even
know how it got in my driveway. No water sources around here. Anyway it was
alive and only seemed like its front leg was broken. I sat out there &
pushed it around some & It could hop but only use one front leg. I FEEL
HORRIBLE!!!!! Can a toad live like that? I know I remember from school
amphibians can regrow limbs. If it is just broken, will it grow a new one? I
feel like, shit, I won't even kill a spider & I have to go STEP on a baby
toad??? Can someone here tell me? Thanks

majcm

cor...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2008, 5:06:44 AM8/11/08
Hiya,

I think it'll heal itself, the back legs are the most important as it
uses these more to power itself away from predators. I found your post
because I'm looking for the same thing...I feel rubbish (don't read on
if you're squeamish) I put the lawn mower over my friendly garden frog
and it took it's feet off. Felt sick for most of yesterday and I'm
trying to find out if common frogs can regrow feet. If you find
anything out, please message me back!

Cheers

yvad...@yahoo.com

Sep 4, 2008, 11:49:52 AM9/4/08
> > majcm- Hide quoted text -

hate to be the bearer of bad knews.
but i dont think that frogs or toads make adult stem cells wich is the
only way its gonna grow back a leg.
if it breaks a leg itll be ok itll heal over time like ours do but if
you cut ones foot off in a lawn mower it probably
wont grow back im not sure i might be wrong.
but it wouldnt be as painful as our foot getting cut off because they
dont have as many nerves in them so it
probably could move and lead a long life but i wouldnt expect to see
him hoping around anytime soon.
sorry

c...@peaceworkmusic.net

May 28, 2014, 1:40:22 AM5/28/14
Happy to know I'm not the only one that feels like that. I was pressing a pot into the dirt to level it out and a toad leapt out and started frantically running to get away. I guess his foot was under it, because a few minutes later my husband pointed out a one-legged toad in one of our little ponds. I'm horrified, but he just doesn't understand. He can't figure out how I can get so upset over a toad. I just thinks they're all precious and can't bear that I frightened and hurt one so bad. I just stuck some raw hamburger in the bush where he last was. (I remember feeding them hamburg in grade school) He wasn't very old - maybe if he's still young?

suzjr...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2015, 9:28:40 PM6/15/15
We found a small light green front with a broken back leg. We have a small pond with a few frogs in it. We just put him on the side of the pond with a place to hide and within reach of the water? Not much else I can do is there?

priyanka...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2016, 1:20:17 PM4/2/16
hii there.. I'm in a similar situation too as I had stepped on a frog due to which its rear part(may be cloaca or rectum) get damaged and I'm feeling horrible. I hope it survives..

tammy...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2016, 6:35:24 AM6/29/16
I feel horrible!! I opened my house door which leads to a shed to let my dog out and seen a cute small frog, but it was about to literally hop into my house, yet looked far enough away from the door and I slammed the door shut. About 2 mins after I opened the door to let my dog back in and the frogs leg was smushed. I felt soooo horrible! I let it outside in the grass, but still worried that he is in pain an may not survive? 👎🐸

scairney....@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2016, 8:40:41 AM7/8/16
I found a baby toad in my garden. He was missing a back leg?!?!? He was there for days his back right leg still didn't grow back😢😞. But 10 days later HE WAS DEAD! I was crying to hell I was so sad! So me and my family dug a hole and put the baby toad in it. We said a prayer that the baby toad would have a happy time in toad heaven. And that is the last we would see of the toad.😢😭😇😩😰😿🙏👪💚💙💎💎

garret...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2016, 3:58:21 PM8/28/16
I did the same thing😭
Message has been deleted

indy...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2017, 5:26:30 PM8/7/17
Frogs can NOT regenerate! Once they become frogs they lose their amphibian ability. However, when they are tadpoles and lose a tail it grows back, but, not after they turn into a frog. Weird to me because other amphibious critters retain their ability to regrow limbs...such as lizards & grasshoppers? Nature is so strange sometimes? Hope this helps? I found my information because I too wanted to know the same thing...more then one answer stared what I just shared with you...basically just look up frogs in Wikipedia they have it all there.

indy...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2017, 5:31:26 PM8/7/17
Many critters and animals can live a full life with missing limbs just like humans can. Say a prayer and hope for the best.

kran...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2017, 3:08:20 PM9/13/17
>Well, this morning i opened our bathroom casement window and discovered a tiny dead green tree frog whose back leg had been pinched in the window hinge. but wait...To my surprise the little bugger started writhing, hanging from his squished leg still stuck to the hinge. I amputated his leg with a pair of scissors (gross, I know) and he fell to my hand. Frankly he seemed otherwise just fine. He flipped himself over a few times, attempting to use his now-absent back leg, but he righted himself quickly. I let him go in a flower garden and he squirmed away. Green tree frogs don't need standing water. They absorb dew and ground moisture through their skin. Their diet provides the rest. Mainly little bugs, worms, and slugs make up their diet. I may be naive but I think my little 3-legged friend will be just fine.

alexisgra...@gmail.com

Oct 10, 2017, 1:36:44 PM10/10/17
Hi! I found a frog with a broken back left foot. I don’t know what to do and I don’t want him to die. Help?

innoce...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 5:46:01 PM3/13/18
omggggggggggggg, that sounds so creepy! I never knew toads could grow more limbs!

jackh...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2018, 1:43:25 AM7/19/18
I have a toad I found with a broken dislocated leg that is missing a foot and hasn’t regenerated at all, he can’t jump well or escape practically anything so I took him in and gave him a little terrarium with my DeKays snake(the snake CANT eat vertebrets and the toad is quite small) and he’s pretty good so far, his leg(what’s left of it) got kind of green for a while but it’s fine now.

chihua...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2018, 7:55:10 PM9/10/18

Regeneration in anurans
Anurans, such as frogs are said to be incapable of regenerating joints. We cut the frog limb at the elbow joint, and found that frogs can regenerate a joint between the remaining and the regenerated half of the joint. In the regenerated joint, musculoskeletal tissues were functionally assembled and frogs could move the regenerated joint.

Urodeles (newts and salamanders) have remarkable ability to regenerate a functional limb after amputation at anywhere in the limb, including joints. On the other hand, the regenerative ability of anurans (frogs and toads) is regarded as intermediate between regenerative animals like newts, and non-regenerative animals like mammals: after limb amputation, frogs regenerate a single cartilaginous rod called spike without any joint. Our findings show for the first time that frogs can regenerate a functional joint and we expect these findings to open new avenues for functional joint regeneration in mammals.

chihua...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2018, 7:55:50 PM9/10/18

rsear...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2018, 1:30:38 PM9/28/18
Some can. My daughter found frog caught in a water drain outside. Had leg caught and lost a front leg removing it from drain. She kept it.
The leg did regrow! And now, fingers are returning. So, those who say no, are wrong.

timswife...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2020, 5:23:59 PM6/3/20
Omg the same exact thing happened to me today! I been foraging around for food for her. So far I've got 1 red earth worm, 1 tiny millipede, and 3 grubworms, but she won't eat anything so I'm not sure of what to do from here. Just wait and see if she comes around I suppose. My son named her SpringTrap 🤣🤣🤣 It's different, I'll give him that!