Is Vaseline safe for cats to eat?

Bob

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
is it safe to give it to them?

Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!

Bob

Catman Dude

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as
you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.

Catman Dude =^-.-^=

Shena Delian O'Brien

Dec 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/30/98
Catman Dude wrote:

> No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as
> you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.

If Vaseline wasn't safe to eat, more people would be dead. I grew up putting
it on my lips when they were chapped.

--
** Shena Delian O'Brien **
Co-Founder, Web Guard - http://www.darklock.com/webguard/

hillary gorman

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 23:38:21 -0500,<catm...@pinn.net> wrote:
*No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as

Vaseline is so safe to eat.

--
hillary gorman...........Official Token Female..........hillary@netaxs.com
"So that's 2 T-1s and a newsfeed....would you like clues with that?"

Arthur Shapiro

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
My vet assures me that PetroMalt is merely Vaseline (petroleum jelly)
with flavoring, plus a jacked-up price.

Case closed, unless someone can assert to the contrary.

Art

Cathy Friedmann

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

Arthur Shapiro wrote in message ...

Yep, I just checked the labelling on a tube of Laxatone (basically same
stuff as PetroMalt - hairball remedy), and the main ingredients are: "White
petrolatum and liquid petrolatum in a palatable base". The labelling on a
jar of Vaseline reads: "White petrolatum, USP". Same stuff, the only
debatable point being whether or not the Laxatone is 'palatable'. One of my
cats gives her nod of approval, the other most definitely does not! Cathy

Apryl N Paris

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:08:52 -0500, Bob <rob...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
>occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
>preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
>is it safe to give it to them?
>
>Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
>if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
>she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!

I was trying to take my cat's temperature. He got wise to me, and
wouldn't stand for it. But I'm sure some of the jelly got on his bum.

He licked it off.

I was wondering if this was harmful, but I don't have any idea how
else to lubricate the thermometer if not with this jelly

Apryl
Who still hasn't been able to get his temp

Boo :DS B G 3 Y L W+ C-- I+++ T++ A E-- H++ S++ V--- F Q P B PA-- PL---
Eeek:DS Cr Y .7 X L- W C-- I+++ T+++ A+++ E+ H+ S++ V-- F Q P++ B++ PA+ PL++

(Cat code)

Remove the NO SPAM from my return e-dress - And then DON'T SPAM!

kee...@freeaccesscom.com

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
In article <368B0C35...@darklock.com>, Shena Delian O'Brien
<shen...@forget-it.com> wrote:

>Catman Dude wrote:
>>
>> No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as

>> you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
>
>If Vaseline wasn't safe to eat, more people would be dead. I grew up putting
>it on my lips when they were chapped.

You probably wouldn't want to make it a nutritional part of a balanced
diet, though.

<grin> "Vaseline cat food/chapstick/thermometer lubricant...with twelve
essential vitamins and minerals!"</grin>

--
Remove FREE to email me

michael garner

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Vaseline is safe for occasional use. I did however read about a case in
which a cat received Vaseline every day, and wound up becoming deficient in
fat soluble vitamins.

Michael Garner
Vet-Student FU-Berlin
Berlin, Germany
Disclaimer: Just a opinion, not medical advice. The Internet is not a
substitute for a veterinarian.

Bob schrieb in Nachricht <368A5014...@hotmail.com>...

>My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
>occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
>preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
>is it safe to give it to them?
>
>Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
>if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
>she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
>

>Bob

Idlewild

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Catman Dude <catm...@pinn.net> wrote:

> No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as
> you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.

check w/a vet, of course, but i think vaseline *is* safe. after all,
the primary ingredient in petromalt (the hairball remedy) is petroleum
jelly is vaseline.

-j.
--
"Wherever you are living... don't move. Sounds like some
sort of fuzz paradise." - Paula Sorensen

Cathy Friedmann

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Apryl - You can use K-Y jelly, too, to lubricate the thermometer, besides
Vaseline. Cathy

Apryl N Paris wrote in message <368c2cd4...@news.flash.net>...

>On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 11:08:52 -0500, Bob <rob...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
>>occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
>>preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
>>is it safe to give it to them?
>>
>>Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
>>if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
>>she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!

konengro

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
michael garner wrote:
> Vaseline is safe for occasional use. I did however read about a case in
> which a cat received Vaseline every day, and wound up becoming deficient in
> fat soluble vitamins.
> Michael Garner

Vaseline, Petromalt, Laxatone, and similar hairball remedies are
relatively safe. They are all used to treat hairballs, of course, and
constipation. There is one caveat, though, as Michael points out.
Petrolatum (the stuff common to all these products) is insoluble and
indigestible. As it makes its way through a cat's GI tract, it absorbs
fat soluble vitamins. Heavy routine doses of the stuff can deprive a cat
of nutrition. Doses should be limited to directions on the container; a
couple times a week during shedding season, or episodically for
constipation.
If the issue concerns you, I'd suggest using digestible fats instead,
vegetable oil or butter.
Regards,
--
Paul F. Hoff Milton, WA konengro*at*worldnet.att.net
Uncle Walter's Small Engine Repair and Keys Made

Ginger-lyn Summer

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
*My* vet recommended it for one of my cats in the past. As long as you
don't overdo it, it is safe.

Bob wrote:

> My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
> occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
> preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
> is it safe to give it to them?
>
> Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
> if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
> she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
>

> Bob

CaraWitte

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
The thing about Vaseline is that it can more easily be aspirated (go down the
wrong way and coat the surface of the lungs causing problems) due to its very
thin greasy substance . Petromalt and the like are thicker, more likely to be
swallowed in chunks and less likely to aspirate and are therefore safer.

CaraWitte
Catsastar Persians

jerikaleah

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Chocolate is not poison for humans (most), but it will kill small dogs, young
kittens and birds. Why should something be safe for a different life form, just
because its safe for humans? Vaseline is NOT safe for ANY animal, and in truth,
its not safe for humans to injest it either. A small amount put on your lips does
not a meal make.

Jerika Leah

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

> Catman Dude wrote:
> >
> > No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as
> > you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
>

> If Vaseline wasn't safe to eat, more people would be dead. I grew up putting
> it on my lips when they were chapped.

Shena Delian O'Brien

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
jerikaleah wrote:

> Why should something be safe for a different life form, just
> because its safe for humans?

Because the vet says so?

> Vaseline is NOT safe for ANY animal, and in truth,
> its not safe for humans to injest it either.

It's not safe exactly for us to eat olestra either, but we put it in our
foods.

> A small amount put on your lips does
> not a meal make.

Neither does the tiny bit someone might give their cat once in a while to
help it with hairballs.

Nikki Scheuermann

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
I'm glad you clarified the small dogs, kittens, and birds part. Too many people out
there are walking around thinking an M&M will kill their adult cat or their German
shepard. Thank you. I don't know why, but the chocolate subject is my forte, I
guess.

Nikki

jerikaleah wrote:

> Chocolate is not poison for humans (most), but it will kill small dogs, young

> kittens and birds. Why should something be safe for a different life form, just
> because its safe for humans? Vaseline is NOT safe for ANY animal, and in truth,
> its not safe for humans to injest it either. A small amount put on your lips does
> not a meal make.
>

> Jerika Leah
>
> Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:
>
> > Catman Dude wrote:
> > >
> > > No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as
> > > you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
> >
> > If Vaseline wasn't safe to eat, more people would be dead. I grew up putting
> > it on my lips when they were chapped.

Nikki Scheuermann

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98
Probably it can still be sold because it's in a low dosage form. It's most
likely diluted to the point of not being a danger. Sort of like that whole
Apple controversy 5 or so years ago. You know, the pesticide one? YOu'd have
to eat, like, 10,000 apples to even get a tummy ache?

Nikki

Stuart wrote:

> Are you sure? I know it's called petroleum jelly, but ALL petroleum products
> are carcinogenic, so I can't believe Vaseline still has petroleum
> by-products in it. Surely if it does, it couldn't be sold in its' current
> packaging! Sorry I don't have any Vaseline here to check the labelling . . .
> I do, however, have some - oops, sorry, wrong NG for that topic :)
>
> Catman Dude wrote in message ...

> >No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just
> as
> >you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
> >

> >Catman Dude =^-.-^=

patti crass

Dec 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/31/98

Bob wrote

>>Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
>if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
>she refuses to eat it

what does your vet say?
patti

Stuart

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
Are you sure? I know it's called petroleum jelly, but ALL petroleum products
are carcinogenic, so I can't believe Vaseline still has petroleum
by-products in it. Surely if it does, it couldn't be sold in its' current
packaging! Sorry I don't have any Vaseline here to check the labelling . . .
I do, however, have some - oops, sorry, wrong NG for that topic :)

Catman Dude wrote in message ...
>No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just
as
>you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
>
>Catman Dude =^-.-^=
>
>Bob wrote in message <368A5014...@hotmail.com>...
>>My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
>>occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
>>preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
>>is it safe to give it to them?
>>

>>Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
>>if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but

konengro

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
Stuart wrote:
> Are you sure? I know it's called petroleum jelly, but ALL petroleum products
> are carcinogenic, so I can't believe Vaseline still has petroleum
> by-products in it. Surely if it does, it couldn't be sold in its' current
> packaging! Sorry I don't have any Vaseline here to check the labelling . . .
> I do, however, have some - oops, sorry, wrong NG for that topic :)

> Catman Dude wrote in message ...
> >No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just
> as you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
> >Catman Dude =^-.-^=

Suart-
All petroleum products are not carcinogenic. That's far too broad a
statement to support. Vaseline, petrolatum, petroleum jelly- all the
same thing- are a refined petroleum product closely related to
polyethyene (polythene for those on the other side of the pond) and
paraffin. Vaseline is purified to US Pharmacopeia standards, so any
harmful elements are insignificant. The stuff itself is indigestible,
and simply passes through. Not toxic; not carcinogenic.
Catman, if you really are anxious about it, I'd recommend you use
butter or cooking oil instead. It's a bit fattening, and not quite as
effective as the pterolatum products, but it works well enough.

Frieda Wallace

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 02:33:37 -0500, "Stuart"
<stuart...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Are you sure? I know it's called petroleum jelly, but ALL petroleum products
>are carcinogenic, so I can't believe Vaseline still has petroleum
>by-products in it. Surely if it does, it couldn't be sold in its' current
>packaging! Sorry I don't have any Vaseline here to check the labelling . . .
>I do, however, have some - oops, sorry, wrong NG for that topic :)

The ingredient is petrolatum..I always wondered why they called it
Petroleum jelly..when it is petrolatum..

>Catman Dude wrote in message ...
>>No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just
>as
>>you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
>>
>>Catman Dude =^-.-^=

Hohne

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
My dictionary says petroleum jelly is obtained from
petroleum.

Karen Hohne

adreeanna

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
I am in complete agreement with Jerika! I love Avocado..it would kill my
parrot!
You can give (so says my vet) a small (i repeat small) bit of mineral
oil..or for that matter even vegetable oil mixed in their food if they
refuse to accept a commercially prepared hairball or laxative.
Regards
Cindy
jerikaleah wrote in message <368C4DAA...@earthlink.net>...

>Chocolate is not poison for humans (most), but it will kill small dogs,
young
>kittens and birds. Why should something be safe for a different life form,
just
>because its safe for humans? Vaseline is NOT safe for ANY animal, and in
truth,
>its not safe for humans to injest it either. A small amount put on your
lips does
>not a meal make.
>
>Jerika Leah
>
>Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:
>
>> Catman Dude wrote:
>> >
>> > No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and
just as
>> > you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.

Jaeger T. Cat

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
In article <368C4DAA...@earthlink.net>,

jerikaleah <jerik...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Chocolate is not poison for humans (most), but it will kill small dogs, young
>kittens and birds. Why should something be safe for a different life form, just
>because its safe for humans? Vaseline is NOT safe for ANY animal, and in truth,
>its not safe for humans to injest it either. A small amount put on your lips does
>not a meal make.
>
>Jerika Leah

Next time, try facts, Jerika.

Frieda Wallace

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99

this is true. read on:

petrolatum

Pronunciation: [petrulA´tum]

colorless to yellowish-white hydrocarbon mixture obtained by
fractional distillation of petroleum. In its jellylike semisolid form
(known as petroleum jelly and also by several trade names) it is used
in preparing medicinal ointments and for lubrication. As a nearly
colorless, highly refined liquid known as liquid petrolatum, liquid
paraffin, or mineral oil, it is used as a lubricant, as a laxative,
and as a base for nasal sprays.

The Columbia Encyclopedia, Fifth Edition Copyright ©1993, Columbia
University Press. Licensed from Inso Corporation. All rights reserved.

o...@gci-net.com

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
On Fri, 1 Jan 1999 02:33:37 -0500, "Stuart"
<stuart...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Are you sure? I know it's called petroleum jelly, but ALL petroleum products
>are carcinogenic, so I can't believe Vaseline still has petroleum
>by-products in it. Surely if it does, it couldn't be sold in its' current
>packaging! Sorry I don't have any Vaseline here to check the labelling . . .
>I do, however, have some - oops, sorry, wrong NG for that topic :)
>

>Catman Dude wrote in message ...

>>No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just
>as
>>you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
>>

>>Catman Dude =^-.-^=
>>
>>Bob wrote in message <368A5014...@hotmail.com>...
>>>My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
>>>occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
>>>preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
>>>is it safe to give it to them?
>>>
>>>Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
>>>if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
>>>she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!

Laxatone and Petromalt are basically flavored "Vaseline". I don't
think Vaseline would be any easier to administer than Laxatone.
>>>Bob

do...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
In article <368BD5...@worldnet.att.net>,
konengro <kone...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Vaseline, Petromalt, Laxatone, and similar hairball remedies are
> relatively safe. They are all used to treat hairballs, of course, and
> constipation. There is one caveat, though, as Michael points out.
> Petrolatum (the stuff common to all these products) is insoluble and
> indigestible.

snip.

Well, there's another caveat. I once had a cat (Suki, part-Siamese stray)
who ADORED Petromalt, in contrast to all the other cats I've ever had
who either just tolerate it or absolutely hate it. I foolishly left a
tube out once, where Suki could get to it-and get to it she did. She
ate nearly the whole thing, and guess what came out of her butt the
next day? The tube had changed, but the Petromalt itself didn't... (ewwww,
sorry about that).

Suki wasn't harmed by that episode, but I was much more careful about
putting the tube away after that! Thus, you run the risk of getting
seriously grossed out if you feed your cat too much of that stuff.

Marca

Gould

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
All petroleum products are not carcinogens. If that were true we would
all be dead.
Are you dead? I think I'm alive. Maybe not. I don't know.

Gould

Stuart wrote:

> Are you sure? I know it's called petroleum jelly, but ALL petroleum products
> are carcinogenic, so I can't believe Vaseline still has petroleum
> by-products in it. Surely if it does, it couldn't be sold in its' current
> packaging! Sorry I don't have any Vaseline here to check the labelling . . .
> I do, however, have some - oops, sorry, wrong NG for that topic :)
>
> Catman Dude wrote in message ...
> >No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just
> as
> >you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
> >
> >Catman Dude =^-.-^=
> >
> >Bob wrote in message <368A5014...@hotmail.com>...
> >>My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
> >>occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
> >>preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
> >>is it safe to give it to them?
> >>
> >>Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
> >>if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
> >>she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
> >>

> >>Bob

Molly

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
In article <368C8743...@hawaii.rr.com>, Nikki Scheuermann
<scheue...@hawaii.rr.com> writes

>I'm glad you clarified the small dogs, kittens, and birds part. Too many people
>out
>there are walking around thinking an M&M will kill their adult cat or their
>German
>shepard. Thank you. I don't know why, but the chocolate subject is my forte, I
>guess.

I had never heard before about chocolate being toxic to cats.
My late mother once had a Brown Burmese called Kassa, and in
the evenings my mother and I would drink hot chocolate, then
turn the cups upside-down in the saucers, and Kassa would
love to lick the dregs from the saucers. We did this regularly
throughout the winter, and Kassa showed no ill-effects. Mind
you, I have never offered chocolate to any other cat, nor come
across any other cat that would steal chocolate the way a dog
would.
--
Molly

Nikki Scheuermann

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
Molly,
Chocolate isn't toxic to animals unless fed to them in large amounts. Just like
anything else, moderation is the key. My vet says that you would have to feed an
entire 1 pound bag of M&M's to an adult cat to even make it sick. And, milk
chocolate is not as bad as baking chocolate as the chemical (I can't remember the
name, I just got up) is diluted in milk chocolate.

I guess you could say I'm on a crusade to teach people not to overeact when it
comes to chocolate. My kitties have been known to steal Reese's peanut butter cups
from me, the little rascals. So, I had to ask my vet if there was any truth to the
"Poison" chocolate story.

Nikki

Nikki Scheuermann

Jan 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/1/99
LOL

Gould wrote:

> All petroleum products are not carcinogens. If that were true we would
> all be dead.
> Are you dead? I think I'm alive. Maybe not. I don't know.
>
> Gould

***snip***

konengro

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Nikki Scheuermann wrote:
> Molly,
> Chocolate isn't toxic to animals unless fed to them in large amounts.
> Nikki

Nikki-
Chocolate is toxic to cats. Let me say it again. Chocolate is toxic to
cats.

The fact that it isn't virulently lethal, or that there isn't an LD50
established for it doesn't contradict that fact. You needn't get into a
panic if they scarf an M&M. However, if you routinely give them
chocolate as a treat, you're going to shorten their lives, compromise
their health and the quality of their lives, and essentially do a really
stupid thing.
I'm sorry Nikki, you're wrong. Chocolate is toxic to cats. Giving cats
something that even the ASPCA says is harmful to your cat is not a good
thing, and it's just the wrong dang issue to base a crusade upon. Give
your cat chocolate if you sincerely feel its a fine thing, but don't
encourage others to do it. It's wrong, and you're wrong, both in your
making it an issue, and in asserting that it's harmless. It isn't.
Let me say it once again, in case you misunderstood. Chocolate is toxic
to cats.

Ruth E. Russell

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
I'll pipe in on this one.

My vet recommended Vaseline, said it works just as well as Petromalt. I
would think if you were giving your cat daily doses of either of those
products that your cat must have a more serious problem than hairballs.

On the tuna issue. Fancy Feast has a variety of cat food called "Flaked,
Fish & Shrimp Feast, Gourmet Cat Food", my cats love it. Over the years I
have used this as a "treat" food when they have been particularly good or
I've been late several nights in a row. It is a tasty flaked fish with
little shrimp and it is nutritionally complete. Best of all it costs less
than a can of tuna.

R2

jerikaleah wrote in message <368C4DAA...@earthlink.net>...

>Chocolate is not poison for humans (most), but it will kill small dogs,
young
>kittens and birds. Why should something be safe for a different life form,
just
>because its safe for humans? Vaseline is NOT safe for ANY animal, and in
truth,
>its not safe for humans to injest it either. A small amount put on your
lips does
>not a meal make.
>
>Jerika Leah

Bob Avery H.......

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
to Bob
Bob wrote:

> My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
> occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
> preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
> is it safe to give it to them?
>
> Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
> if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
> she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
>
> Bob
==========
Hi Bob,
We give our cats Laxatone, manufactured by Tomlyn. One of the prime
ingredients is petroleum jelly--Vaseline is a tradname for that.

As long as you don't give too much too often, it can help relieve
hairballs. In excess, it will cause loose bowel movements and deprive
you cat of proper nutrition.

Laxatone, and similar commercial products containg a number of
additional beneficial ingredients, and are usually malt flavored to make
them more palatable.

Follow directions on the package, and do not exceed these unless
directed to do so by YOUR vet.
--
BobH
"You cannot move mountains, if you believe them to be mountains.

Bob Avery H.......

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
to konengro
konengro wrote:
<snipped>

> I'm sorry Nikki, you're wrong. Chocolate is toxic to cats. Giving cats
> something that even the ASPCA says is harmful to your cat is not a good
> thing, and it's just the wrong dang issue to base a crusade upon. Give
> your cat chocolate if you sincerely feel its a fine thing, but don't
> encourage others to do it. It's wrong, and you're wrong, both in your
> making it an issue, and in asserting that it's harmless. It isn't.
> Let me say it once again, in case you misunderstood. Chocolate is toxic
> to cats.
> Regards,
> --
> Paul F. Hoff Milton, WA konengro*at*worldnet.att.net
> Uncle Walter's Small Engine Repair and Keys Made
> http://home.att.net/~konengro/
=========
Amen, Paul....
Chocolate IS toxic to cats. Same for onions.
As for chocolate, the first link below deals with chocolate toxicity
specifically for dogs.

The important thing is to note the amount of chocolate and the body
weight of the dog.

Now consider the body weight of the average cat, or worse yet a kitten.

Realize that a proportionally smaller amount is harmful to a feline due
to the difference in size (body weight).

http://www.netpet.com/articles/choc.tox.html
http://www.avma.org/pubhlth/poisgde.html
http://www.vetinfo.com/cencyclopedia/ceindex.html

Nikki Scheuermann

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
I prefer to listen to the two vets I know and trust, one my family vet, who said the
following, "If "cat name" ate some chocolate, I wouldn't worry about it. They'd have
to eat a hell of a lot of it to get sick." I never once said it wasn't
toxic...however, I did say that it wasn't toxic in SMALL AMOUNTS. I would hope that
no one is feeding it to their cats anyway, mine don't get it unless they're sniffing
on it and want to try it, and even then they'll only get one small taste. The main
thing I want people to avoid is freaking out when their precious putty gets ahold of
an M&M...that's what happens when people are misinformed.

Nikki

Veronica Karlsson

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
Molly wrote:

> I had never heard before about chocolate being toxic to cats.

Neither had I before I found this newsgroup.

A couple of years ago I stayed for a few days with a girl who had two
cats. I had a big bar of hazel nut milk chocolate (yum!). I had never
heard about a cat even *liking* anything other than meat, fish, milk and
the occasional grass straw (plus some very similar things as treats,
like mild "household" cheese, custard, whipped cream, etc... but just
very mild tasting stuff, and Mommy's Plants, of course!). As I had never
had reason to regard chocolate as being in danger with a cat around I
put it on the table when I went out in the morning. When I came back,
two little gentlemen in tuxedos had pounced on it, dragged it across the
floor, ripped off the paper cover and gnawed and licked all over it!
(they looked VERY happy!!!) As I didn't know about chocolate being bad
for cats I told the girl they could have it (me first - cats later, OK,
but not the other way around...).

--
:) Irebavpn Xneyffba \ /_ _ _ _ . _ _ Zl bgure fvt vf n Cbefpur
( r93...@fz.yhgu.fr \/(-| (_)| )|(_(_| uggc://jjj.yhqq.yhgu.fr/~ix/ )

Bill Savary

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
konengro wrote:

> Chocolate is toxic to cats. Let me say it again. Chocolate is toxic to
> cats.
> .......etc.

OK. You have made your statement, but you haven't offered evidence
about at what level it becomes toxic, or why small repeated doses would
be harmful. Lots of foods can be toxic at high levels, but beneficial
at low or moderate levels. Have you any evidence that chocolate isn't
one of these?

Jaeger T. Cat

Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
In article <368EC0...@azstarnet.com>,

Oh no, can't possibly provide _facts_ in the discussion. Makes it
so much harder to whip up the hysteria, you know.

konengro

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Bill Savary wrote:

> OK. You have made your statement, but you haven't offered evidence
> about at what level it becomes toxic, or why small repeated doses would
> be harmful.

"Approximately one half ounce of baking chocolate per pound body
weight
or less can cause clinical signs of toxicity [in a cat.]"
This quote is from Jill A. Richardson, DVM Veterinary Poison
Information Specialist ASPCA/National Animal Poison Control Center. You
can find the complete text at
http://www.cfainc.org/articles/health-tentips.html
The advice of the ASPCA is to keep chocolate away from critters.
Chocolate is not a food at all in regards to cats.
I might also point out that "clinical signs of toxicity" doesn't mean
that there isn't toxic damage to a cat with lesser amounts.

Gould

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
That's a pile of chocolate. 12 lb cat=6 oz chocolate. If I ate 6 oz of
chocolate at one time I'd be sick too. One Hershey bar is probably less
than 2 oz

Gould

Shena Delian O'Brien

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Gould wrote:

> That's a pile of chocolate. 12 lb cat=6 oz chocolate. If I ate 6 oz of
> chocolate at one time I'd be sick too. One Hershey bar is probably less
> than 2 oz

There is a difference between being sick and being poisoned. Sick you
recover from with little difficulty. Poisoning is often fatal.

konengro

Jan 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/3/99
Gould wrote:

> That's a pile of chocolate. 12 lb cat=6 oz chocolate. If I ate 6 oz of
> chocolate at one time I'd be sick too. One Hershey bar is probably less
> than 2 oz

This is petty nitpicking, Gould. If you really can't come up with a
more substantive reason for not giving a toxic (albeit modestly toxic)
treat to your cat, then I'd suggest you simply not give your cat
chocolate, in any amount.
Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really *want* people
to give their cats chocolate? What is your purpose here?

Paul

> konengro wrote:
> >
> > Bill Savary wrote:
> > >
> > > OK. You have made your statement, but you haven't offered evidence
> > > about at what level it becomes toxic, or why small repeated doses would
> > > be harmful.
> >
> > "Approximately one half ounce of baking chocolate per pound body
> > weight
> > or less can cause clinical signs of toxicity [in a cat.]"
> > This quote is from Jill A. Richardson, DVM Veterinary Poison
> > Information Specialist ASPCA/National Animal Poison Control Center. You
> > can find the complete text at
> > http://www.cfainc.org/articles/health-tentips.html
> > The advice of the ASPCA is to keep chocolate away from critters.
> > Chocolate is not a food at all in regards to cats.
> > I might also point out that "clinical signs of toxicity" doesn't mean
> > that there isn't toxic damage to a cat with lesser amounts.

Bob Avery H.......

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
to konengro
konengro wrote:

> Gould wrote:
> >
> > That's a pile of chocolate. 12 lb cat=6 oz chocolate. If I ate 6 oz of
> > chocolate at one time I'd be sick too. One Hershey bar is probably less
> > than 2 oz
>
> This is petty nitpicking, Gould. If you really can't come up with a
> more substantive reason for not giving a toxic (albeit modestly toxic)
> treat to your cat, then I'd suggest you simply not give your cat
> chocolate, in any amount.
> Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really *want* people
> to give their cats chocolate? What is your purpose here?
>
> Paul

=================
=================
Hi Paul,

I think Gould is missing the point that cats and dogs don't bother
reading the labels, but will eat their fill if unsupervised.

Cats will lick at a puddle of antifreeze because it is
sweet--unfortunately, it will kill them.

Humans have a responsibility to animals, to protect them from themselves
in these situations.
--
Cheers, BobH
"If you want to be a psychological novelist and

Gould

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
I can't see in the post where I advocate feeding animals chocolate.
Where is that written. I don't see it. My point being that most cat
would not eat that kind of quantity and therefore are in little danger.
I have found over the years that cats are not big fat gluttons like dogs
are. Usually cats eat with a lot of restrain.
You won't get any argument from me. I let my cats do whatever they want.
I don't worry one bit about what they eat. If they were out in the
street I wouldn't know what they were doing. Cats have survived nicely
without my intervention for millions of years. I don't think I have to
start worrying about them now.

Gould

konengro wrote:

> Gould wrote:
> >
> > That's a pile of chocolate. 12 lb cat=6 oz chocolate. If I ate 6 oz of
> > chocolate at one time I'd be sick too. One Hershey bar is probably less
> > than 2 oz
>
> This is petty nitpicking, Gould. If you really can't come up with a
> more substantive reason for not giving a toxic (albeit modestly toxic)
> treat to your cat, then I'd suggest you simply not give your cat
> chocolate, in any amount.
> Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really *want* people
> to give their cats chocolate? What is your purpose here?
>
> Paul

Gould

Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
My point is that animals are smarter than alot of people give them
credit. I have found that cats are especially careful about their diets.
Dogs are another story. The point about chocolate is stop being so
damned paranoid everyone. The cat is not going to die from eating a
little chocolate. The cat probably wouldn't want the amount of chocolate
that could be toxic and would leave it alone.

Gould.

"Bob Avery H......." wrote:

> konengro wrote:
> >
> > Gould wrote:
> > >
> > > That's a pile of chocolate. 12 lb cat=6 oz chocolate. If I ate 6 oz of
> > > chocolate at one time I'd be sick too. One Hershey bar is probably less
> > > than 2 oz
> >
> > This is petty nitpicking, Gould. If you really can't come up with a
> > more substantive reason for not giving a toxic (albeit modestly toxic)
> > treat to your cat, then I'd suggest you simply not give your cat
> > chocolate, in any amount.
> > Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really *want* people
> > to give their cats chocolate? What is your purpose here?
> >
> > Paul

Bob Avery H.......

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
to Gould
Gould wrote:

> My point is that animals are smarter than alot of people give them
> credit. I have found that cats are especially careful about their diets.
> Dogs are another story. The point about chocolate is stop being so
> damned paranoid everyone. The cat is not going to die from eating a
> little chocolate. The cat probably wouldn't want the amount of chocolate
> that could be toxic and would leave it alone.
>
> Gould.
========
Gould,
Please don't misunderstand. How you choose to manage your home
environment is your business. After all, isn't a man's home his castle?

Naturally, you must also be prepared to accept the consequences of your
actions should anything go wrong.

A question was asked, and issue raised, and I for one have tried to
respond in a positive manner.

As a pet "owner", I feel a great responsibility for my cats, and do my
best to ensure that they will enjoy long, happy and healty lives with
us.

I refuse to deliberately expose them to known dangers, and that is my
choice.

What you may choose is up to you, despite any guidance readers in this
group may offer. However, remember that you must live with the
consequences.
--
Cheers, BobH
"If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Nikki Scheuermann

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Thank you very very very much. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Nikki

Gould wrote:

> My point is that animals are smarter than alot of people give them
> credit. I have found that cats are especially careful about their diets.
> Dogs are another story. The point about chocolate is stop being so
> damned paranoid everyone. The cat is not going to die from eating a
> little chocolate. The cat probably wouldn't want the amount of chocolate
> that could be toxic and would leave it alone.
>
> Gould.
>

> "Bob Avery H......." wrote:
> >
> > konengro wrote:

> > > This is petty nitpicking, Gould. If you really can't come up with a
> > > more substantive reason for not giving a toxic (albeit modestly toxic)
> > > treat to your cat, then I'd suggest you simply not give your cat
> > > chocolate, in any amount.
> > > Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really *want* people
> > > to give their cats chocolate? What is your purpose here?
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > =================
> > =================
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > I think Gould is missing the point that cats and dogs don't bother
> > reading the labels, but will eat their fill if unsupervised.
> >
> > Cats will lick at a puddle of antifreeze because it is
> > sweet--unfortunately, it will kill them.
> >
> > Humans have a responsibility to animals, to protect them from themselves
> > in these situations.

> > --
> > Cheers, BobH

Gould

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
I understand your concern for your animals. I don't want anything bad to
happen to mine either. They are our charges and we must do all we can to
make their lives the best we can. After reading lots of posts on this
group I have noticed what I perceive to be over sensitivity to our
little friends problems. I've had many different animals as pets over
the last 40 years and for the most part they seem to have gotten along
just fine without much intervention from me. They didn't have urinary
problems. They didn't have teary eyes. They didn't have hair falling
out. They just went on everyday like most living things do. Generally
speaking in good health. Maybe I have been lucky. I don't think so but
maybe. Would you agree that people tend to get out of hand with the care
of their pets? I guess what I am saying is love em, make sure they get
good medical care but damn, leave them be. They are not babies. They are
animals under our care. We must keep this in perspective.

As you say however, to each his own. I do it my way. You do it yours.

Gould

"Bob Avery H......." wrote:

> Gould wrote:
> >
> > My point is that animals are smarter than alot of people give them
> > credit. I have found that cats are especially careful about their diets.
> > Dogs are another story. The point about chocolate is stop being so
> > damned paranoid everyone. The cat is not going to die from eating a
> > little chocolate. The cat probably wouldn't want the amount of chocolate
> > that could be toxic and would leave it alone.
> >
> > Gould.

> ========
> Gould,
> Please don't misunderstand. How you choose to manage your home
> environment is your business. After all, isn't a man's home his castle?
>
> Naturally, you must also be prepared to accept the consequences of your
> actions should anything go wrong.
>
> A question was asked, and issue raised, and I for one have tried to
> respond in a positive manner.
>
> As a pet "owner", I feel a great responsibility for my cats, and do my
> best to ensure that they will enjoy long, happy and healty lives with
> us.
>
> I refuse to deliberately expose them to known dangers, and that is my
> choice.
>
> What you may choose is up to you, despite any guidance readers in this
> group may offer. However, remember that you must live with the
> consequences.

> --
> Cheers, BobH

Gould

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
No, thank you.

Gould

Nikki Scheuermann wrote:

> Thank you very very very much. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.
>
> Nikki

Nikki Scheuermann

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
Gould,

You said it much better than I could have. I absolutely agree with you, and I
applaud you. My cats are very happy, healthy cats that are inside cats, wear
SoftPaws, and don't go to the vet if they eat a piece of chocolate. Of course,
I don't go to the doctor unless I'm so sick I think I'm going to die. That's
how it was in my family when I was growing up. However, I am aware enough of my
cats that I know if they are sick and need veterinary care. So, they get the
care when they need it, including vaccinations, and then they get the piece of
mind of knowing they won't have to go back to that evil doctor for a long time.

Nikki

Gould wrote:

> I understand your concern for your animals. I don't want anything bad to
> happen to mine either. They are our charges and we must do all we can to
> make their lives the best we can. After reading lots of posts on this
> group I have noticed what I perceive to be over sensitivity to our
> little friends problems. I've had many different animals as pets over
> the last 40 years and for the most part they seem to have gotten along
> just fine without much intervention from me. They didn't have urinary
> problems. They didn't have teary eyes. They didn't have hair falling
> out. They just went on everyday like most living things do. Generally
> speaking in good health. Maybe I have been lucky. I don't think so but
> maybe. Would you agree that people tend to get out of hand with the care
> of their pets? I guess what I am saying is love em, make sure they get
> good medical care but damn, leave them be. They are not babies. They are
> animals under our care. We must keep this in perspective.
>
> As you say however, to each his own. I do it my way. You do it yours.
>
> Gould
>
> "Bob Avery H......." wrote:
> >

> > Gould wrote:
> > >
> > > My point is that animals are smarter than alot of people give them
> > > credit. I have found that cats are especially careful about their diets.
> > > Dogs are another story. The point about chocolate is stop being so
> > > damned paranoid everyone. The cat is not going to die from eating a
> > > little chocolate. The cat probably wouldn't want the amount of chocolate
> > > that could be toxic and would leave it alone.
> > >
> > > Gould.

Stinkbug

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99

Gould <lj...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<3692BB2F...@ix.netcom.com>...

| I understand your concern for your animals. I don't want anything bad to
| happen to mine either. They are our charges and we must do all we can to
| make their lives the best we can. After reading lots of posts on this
| group I have noticed what I perceive to be over sensitivity to our
| little friends problems. I've had many different animals as pets over
| the last 40 years and for the most part they seem to have gotten along
| just fine without much intervention from me. They didn't have urinary
| problems. They didn't have teary eyes. They didn't have hair falling
| out.

***snip***

The things you mention above all can be potentially serious problems.
Urinary problems are not to be taken lightly, and can be fatal.
Unfortunately, if you do not pay close attention to your cats and their
activities you may not notice the symptoms.

Teary eyes can be a symptom of upper respiratory infection...which can also
be fatal to cats. Hair falling out may be in most cases just a normal thing
for cats, but it can also point to other more serious problems. Such as
skin infections.

People posting in this group on these problems are not showing signs of
"over sensitivity", they are merely asking questions about something that
they know can be related to serious problems. They are taking the first
step in making sure that their animals are at the utmost level of health.
This isn't over sensitivity, it's responsibility.

I beleive that if you have not had any cats with these problems you have
been very lucky. My two boys have had all of them.

Becky

Ernest Simpson

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
ROFL... Been there with my walking eating machines... They got in the dog food
sack one day and pigged out.. What a mess... Dog food is mosly vegatable
material and they filled up a cat box..

do...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <368BD5...@worldnet.att.net>,
> konengro <kone...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Vaseline, Petromalt, Laxatone, and similar hairball remedies are
> > relatively safe. They are all used to treat hairballs, of course, and
> > constipation. There is one caveat, though, as Michael points out.
> > Petrolatum (the stuff common to all these products) is insoluble and
> > indigestible.
>
> snip.
>
> Well, there's another caveat. I once had a cat (Suki, part-Siamese stray)
> who ADORED Petromalt, in contrast to all the other cats I've ever had
> who either just tolerate it or absolutely hate it. I foolishly left a
> tube out once, where Suki could get to it-and get to it she did. She
> ate nearly the whole thing, and guess what came out of her butt the
> next day? The tube had changed, but the Petromalt itself didn't... (ewwww,
> sorry about that).
>
> Suki wasn't harmed by that episode, but I was much more careful about
> putting the tube away after that! Thus, you run the risk of getting
> seriously grossed out if you feed your cat too much of that stuff.
>
> Marca

DNoble

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
I have often used Vaseline as a hairball remedy, and it has worked quite
well.

I've also tried Hairball Remedy by Foster and Smith. This product is safe
to use everyday. My long-haired cat has a lot of difficulty with
hairballs, so I give the remedy to him, even though he doesn't like it. I
put a small amount on his fur and he licks it off. Works every time.
After the first few times, he seems to be handling the situation much
better. I like for him to be happy and hairball-free so I've adopted the
"Mama Knows Best" policy. :}

Deb
P. S. Any tips on responding to a post without the screen popping up
stating that 80% of the original message has been duplicated and that I'm
being rude?
Bob <rob...@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<368A5014...@hotmail.com>...

Shena Delian O'Brien

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Ernest Simpson wrote:

> ROFL... Been there with my walking eating machines... They got in the dog food
> sack one day and pigged out.. What a mess... Dog food is mosly vegatable
> material and they filled up a cat box..

My boyfriend's cat once ate almost an entire box of raisin bran. He had a
poop party after that, heh :)

Gould

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
No question that animals can and do have health problems from time to
time. I must be the luckiest cat owner in the world. I bet that I
haven't had 40 years worth of cats to the vet more than I can count on
both hands. Just lucky I guess.

Gould.

Gould

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
I don't like to sound like I am minimizing health problems in cats. They
do get sick. Especially if they are outdoor cats. I refuse to treat my
pets as babies. They are *not* babies. If everyone in this group wants
to treat their pets as babies that is their choice but I don't have to
agree with it. I do the same thing as you. I take them for vaccinations
and treatment if they are sick but I don't look for problems. You will
see without looking. I enjoy their company but I refuse to worry about
every move they make.

By the way I grew up in a house where you just didn't worry about health
until you were sick. My parents both lived to quite an old age no thanks
to doctors. Just lucky I guess.

Gould

jennifer sprake

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

On Christmas day my new puppy took the lid off, and ate half a can of
cashew nuts. The next day his poop was 'chock full of nuts '.

Mary Jorens

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
It probably depends on the individual. Chocolate contains a couple of
chemical compounds - theobromine and another one I can't remember the name
of. For myself, a square of chocolate is like death! I'm sick with a
ferocious migraine for 5 days. I feel as if I've been poisoned.
Personally, I think it's a substance that shouldn't be fed to cats - even a
tiny bit. It can't possibly help them and may make them miserable and sick.
Why risk it? They'd probably prefer a tuna treat anyway. :-)

Mary
jor...@conninc.com

Bob Avery H.......

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
to Mary Jorens
===============
Hi Mary,
Thanks for your sensitive and sensible comments on this thread.

What some participants appear to have missed is that humans can learn
and understand when a substance is deemed toxic, and should avoid its
use.

Animals don't always seem to do this, and for some, the lesson is very
expensive.
--
Cheers, BobH

Mike Kirkby

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
On 3 Jan 1999 23:27:20 GMT, konengro <kone...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Gould wrote:
>>
>> That's a pile of chocolate. 12 lb cat=6 oz chocolate. If I ate 6 oz of
>> chocolate at one time I'd be sick too. One Hershey bar is probably less
>> than 2 oz
>
> This is petty nitpicking, Gould. If you really can't come up with a
>more substantive reason for not giving a toxic (albeit modestly toxic)
>treat to your cat, then I'd suggest you simply not give your cat
>chocolate, in any amount.
> Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really *want* people
>to give their cats chocolate? What is your purpose here?

170lbs man = 5.3Lbs chocolate, If I ate 5.3Lbs of chocolate in one sitting
I would feel I ate something toxic too, I feel it is a valid point that
some measures of toxicity are not measured in the real world.
Like the FDA and the cyclamate/saccarin scam.

>Paul
>
>> konengro wrote:

>> > "Approximately one half ounce of baking chocolate per pound body
>> > weight
>> > or less can cause clinical signs of toxicity [in a cat.]"
>> > This quote is from Jill A. Richardson, DVM Veterinary Poison
>> > Information Specialist ASPCA/National Animal Poison Control Center. You
>> > can find the complete text at
>> > http://www.cfainc.org/articles/health-tentips.html
>> > The advice of the ASPCA is to keep chocolate away from critters.
>> > Chocolate is not a food at all in regards to cats.
>> > I might also point out that "clinical signs of toxicity" doesn't mean
>> > that there isn't toxic damage to a cat with lesser amounts.
>
>--
>Paul F. Hoff Milton, WA konengro*at*worldnet.att.net
> Uncle Walter's Small Engine Repair and Keys Made
> http://home.att.net/~konengro/

Mike

konengro

Apr 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/10/99
Mike Kirkby wrote:

> On 3 Jan 1999 23:27:20 GMT, konengro <kone...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >
> > This is petty nitpicking, Gould. If you really can't come up with a
> >more substantive reason for not giving a toxic (albeit modestly toxic)
> >treat to your cat, then I'd suggest you simply not give your cat
> >chocolate, in any amount.
> > Are you arguing for the sake of arguing, or do you really *want* people
> >to give their cats chocolate? What is your purpose here?
> >Paul

> >--
> >Paul F. Hoff Milton, WA konengro*at*worldnet.att.net

Mike-
You dug up a post from last January about the toxicity of chocolate?
Mike, did you have some purpose in doing this? To my knowledge,
chocolate hasn't changed in toxicity in the last three months. If you've
had an unopened box of Christmas chocolate from last year you're
considering giving to your cat, well, you might think twice about eating
it yourself. Save it and give it to your boss for Christmas this year.
Don't feed it to your cat whatever you do.
Regards,
--
Paul F. Hoff Milton, WA kone...@worldnet.att.net
*Stutsbear and the Bionic Busboy* Lithodendron, 1996

RubyTyger

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
In article <370d52d9...@news.ukonline.co.uk>,
m.kirkby@nof***ingspamukonline.co.uk (Mike Kirkby) writes:

>170lbs man = 5.3Lbs chocolate, If I ate 5.3Lbs of chocolate in one sitting
>I would feel I ate something toxic too

:::groans::: Big... chocolate... Easter.. bunny... :::passes out:::
~ Calista

All animals except man know that the ultimate of life is to enjoy it.
-Samuel Butler

:::picks up phone::: Hallo? It's BAXTER! "Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow..."

starr

Apr 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/11/99
>>170lbs man = 5.3Lbs chocolate, If I ate 5.3Lbs of chocolate in one sitting
>>I would feel I ate something toxic too
>
>:::groans::: Big... chocolate... Easter.. bunny... :::passes out:::
>~ Calista

just couldn't resist could you? ;)

-- dragonfly
www.stormi.demon.co.uk/dragonfly/

"you know how it feels when you're leaning back
in your chair and you lean *too* far back and
you almost fall over backwards, but you catch
yourself at the last minute? i do that all the time.."

RubyTyger

Apr 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/14/99
In article <G6Ea8HAnLKE3MwX$@stormi.demon.co.uk>, starr
<drag...@stormi.demon.co.uk> writes:

>just couldn't resist could you? ;)

Hey, Easter is the most guiltfree chocolate of all year. You don't have to go
around begging for it (Halloween) you don't have to worry about any bills after
buying it (Christmas) and you don't have to worry about the giver trying to
*boink* you (Valentines). Just a sweet little Easter Bunny dropping off a ton
of chocolate. Then you stare at the chocolate bunny and think "Oh, how cute
*munchmunchmunch*"

adun...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2015, 10:30:51 PM12/3/15
On Wednesday, December 30, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Bob wrote:
> My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
> occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
> preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
> is it safe to give it to them?
>
> Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
> if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
> she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
>
> Bob

Umm actually this is a direct quote from a veterinarian website.
Interestingly, some cats are willing to eat unflavored Vaseline or generic petroleum jelly, and this is an acceptable substitute. We do not recommend giving mineral oil by itself, as it is easily inhaled by the cat as it is swallowed and can cause fatal lung toxicity.

www.catdoctors.com/hair-balls.html

heara...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2016, 1:27:09 PM1/18/16
what an old conversation !

masterg...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2016, 7:03:47 PM4/24/16
On Wednesday, December 30, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Catman Dude wrote:
> No! Vaseline is not safe to eat! It is a petroleum based product and just as
> you wouldn't drink motor oil, don't give it to the cats.
>
> Catman Dude =^-.-^=
>
> Bob wrote in message <368A5014...@hotmail.com>...
> >My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
> >occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
> >preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
> >is it safe to give it to them?
> >
> >Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
> >if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
> >she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
> >
> >Bob

ok this is an old topic but yes cats can lick vaseline my cousin worked for an animal shelter and at her house they would leave a vaseline jar on the floor open it really helps cats with hair ball control and because it is oil/petroleum based it is the oil in it that helps cats with their hair balls they dont throw them up or if they do they come up less messy.

hcst...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2016, 5:48:25 PM4/26/16
On Wednesday, December 30, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
> My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
> occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
> preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
> is it safe to give it to them?
>
> Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
> if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
> she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
>
> Bob

Just skip the Vaseline and buy a tube of the hairball treatment they sell at the store. Any regular grocery store with a pet aisle would have it. You know it is probably safe because it is made specifically for hairballs. Plus it has instructions so you don't under/over do it.

tacar...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 10:18:24 AM12/14/16
It is safe

hayley...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2017, 6:39:27 PM3/17/17
Love you baby

Bill Cunningham

Sep 13, 2017, 11:09:23 PM9/13/17

<hayley...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Love you baby

Vaseline is toxic and not good for anything to eat.

levity...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2017, 10:57:51 PM9/22/17
On Sunday, January 3, 1999 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, konengro wrote:
> Bill Savary wrote:
> >
> > OK. You have made your statement, but you haven't offered evidence
> > about at what level it becomes toxic, or why small repeated doses would
> > be harmful.
>
> "Approximately one half ounce of baking chocolate per pound body
> weight
> or less can cause clinical signs of toxicity [in a cat.]"
> This quote is from Jill A. Richardson, DVM Veterinary Poison
> Information Specialist ASPCA/National Animal Poison Control Center. You
> can find the complete text at
> http://www.cfainc.org/articles/health-tentips.html
> The advice of the ASPCA is to keep chocolate away from critters.
> Chocolate is not a food at all in regards to cats.
> I might also point out that "clinical signs of toxicity" doesn't mean
> that there isn't toxic damage to a cat with lesser amounts.
> Regards,
> --
> Paul F. Hoff Milton, WA konengro*at*worldnet.att.net
> Uncle Walter's Small Engine Repair and Keys Made
> http://home.att.net/~konengro/

Years ago, I brought my then-boyfriend a box of chocolates for our first overnight date. His dog got ahold of it in the night and consumed nearly the entire box. The next day, poor Jumper threw up several gourmet chocolates, including the little papers that came with them. (After that, I brought my boyfriend doggie biscuits.) Moving ahead to now: our cat LOVES Vaseline. I discovered this when I was trying to spread it onto the dry skin on my feet, and she kept trying to lick them. I checked with my cat-specialist vet, and she said it's perfectly fine to let her lick Vaseline off of my finger. She loves the stuff.

cole...@gmail.com

May 6, 2018, 3:59:51 PM5/6/18
Hi Bob. Coleen here. I have read in a book about cats is the one taste they recognize is sweet. So if allowed or by accident they will have more than they should. So a tiny wee bit won't hurt but on a supervised bases.
Cheers to all cat lovers.
Coleen😺.

candycra...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2018, 5:48:37 AM6/7/18
No, actually, sweet is the one taste they can't detect. A simple Google search will tell you that.

shehaspaws

Feb 19, 2019, 5:47:23 AM2/19/19
On Wednesday, December 30, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Bob wrote:
> My cats like to lick Vaseline and I give them a little
> occasionally because I've heard somewhere that it's good for
> preventing hairballs and for their coat. Is this true? If so,
> is it safe to give it to them?
>
> Also, one of my cats is straining to defecate and I was wondering
> if Vaseline could serve as a laxative (I've tried Laxatone but
> she refuses to eat it)? Please reply. Thanks in advance!!
>
> Bob

*****PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ANY PETROLEUM TO YOU CAT OR DOG!*****
It can cause toxicity or possible death very quickly in some animals!! There are lots of petroleum-free products out there for constipation...If a cat doesn't like or won't eat a laxative like laxatone, just put a dab on their paws and they will lick it off, therefore ingesting it! Thank you!

track...@gmail.com

Nov 18, 2019, 8:16:32 AM11/18/19
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:09:23 PM UTC-7, Bill Cunningham wrote:

> Vaseline is toxic and not good for anything to eat.

Poison help lines describe it as non-toxic to minimally-toxic. Vets recommend Vaseline sometimes as a hairball treatment or laxative and when you go to a store and purchase "hairball treatment", you're basically purchasing tuna flavored Vaseline so . . . spend more if you want to, or if your cat will only eat it with the tuna flavor, then it's probably worth it.

For more serious laxitive problems, something like Miralax is probably better (check with your vet first, don't trust some stranger on the internets), but that's what my vet gave me for my cat with more serious constipation. The one with hairballs, just occasional Vaseline, which she licked off my fingers.

https://missouripoisoncenter.org/petroleum-jelly/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RaMH4CWyyg