Ugly the Cat

newsgroup

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Get some tissue...

> [...]
> > except for the sores covering his head, neck, even his
> > shoulders with thick, yellowing scabs.
> > Every time someone saw Ugly there was the same
> > reaction. "That's one UGLY cat!!"
> >
> > All the children were warned not to touch him, the
> > adults threw rocks at him, hosed him down,
> > squirted him when he tried to come in their
> > homes, or shut his paws in the door when he
> > would not leave. Ugly always had the same reaction.
> >
> > If you turned the hose on him, he would stand
> > there, getting soaked until you gave up and quit.
> > If you threw things at him, he would curl his lanky
> > body around feet in forgiveness.
> > Whenever he spied children, he would come
> > running, meowing frantically and bump his head
> > against their hands, begging for their love.
> > If you ever picked him up he would immediately
> > begin suckling on your shirt, earrings, whatever
> > he could find.
> >
> > One day Ugly shared his love with the neighbor's
> > huskies. They did not respond kindly, and Ugly was
> > badly mauled. From my apartment I could hear his
> > screams, and I tried to rush to his aid. By the time
> > I got to where he was laying, it was apparent Ugly's
> > sad life was almost at an end.
> > Ugly lay in a wet circle, his back legs and lower
> > back twisted grossly out of shape, a gaping tear
> > in the white strip of fur that ran down his front. As
> > I picked him up and tried to carry him home, I
> > could hear him wheezing and gasping, and could
> > feel him struggling. It must be hurting him terribly,
> > I thought.
> >
> > Then I felt a familiar tugging, sucking sensation
> > on my ear. Ugly, in so much pain, suffering and
> > obviously dying, was trying to suckle my
> > ear. I pulled him closer to me, and he bumped
> > the palm of my hand with his head, then he turned
> > his one golden eye towards me, and I could hear
> > the distinct sound of purring. Even in the greatest
> > pain, that ugly battled-scarred cat was asking only
> > for a little affection, perhaps some compassion.
> >
> > At that moment I thought Ugly was the most
> > beautiful, loving creature I had ever seen. Never once
> > did he try to bite or scratch me, or even try to get
> > away from me, or struggle in any way. Ugly just
> > looked up at me completely trusting in me to
> > relieve his pain.
> >
> > Ugly died in my arms before I could get inside,
> > but I sat and held him for long time afterwards,
> > thinking about how one scarred, deformed
> > little stray could so alter my opinion about what
> > it means to have true pureness of spirit, to love
> > so totally and truly. Ugly taught me more
> > about giving and compassion than a thousand
> > books, lectures, or talk show specials ever could,
> > and for that I will always be thankful. He had
> > been scarred on the outside, but I was scarred
> > on the inside, and it was time for me to move on
> > and learn to love truly and deeply. To give my
> > total to those I cared for.
> >
> > Many people want to be richer, more successful,
> > well liked, beautiful, but for me, I will always try

Angela Wright

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
to newsgroup
Ohhhhhhhh, I'm speechless. I'm sitting here at work sobbing. Thank God
I'm in the office alone! What a heart wrenching story!

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, it was written:

Keuda

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
why didn't you rescue him BEFORE this happened?

BugsBunny

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Here we go with the "Ugly the Cat" story again! It's sad, but
people, it's false!!

Bugsy

newsgroup wrote in message <377a...@news1.jps.net>...
|Get some tissue...
|> >

|> > The Integrity of "Ugly"

<snipped sad kitty fable>

Kathy Devine

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Wow.
Kath

BugsBunny

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
It's just a story. But what gets me is it keeps on finding it's
way in the cat news groups. There are too many sad things that
we have to deal with about our beloved cats. I don't think
newbies or any "first time readers" should have to feel bad for
something that probably never happened. It's a heart wrenching
story, but it IS just a story.

Bugsy

Beth wrote in message <377a...@news.nwlink.com>...
|Stacey <st...@NOSPAMrochester.rr.com> wrote in message
|> Beth - makes me angry and teary at the end. I doubt it's
really a true
|> story, but just written to illustrate the evil that some men
do to cats.
|> Unfortunately, I'm sure there ARE people like the inhuman
monsters in the
|> world.
|>
|> Stacey
|
|Yes, I agree. I guess what specifically burns me up about this
story is
|that the author/narrator appears to be one of the people who
could have
|rescued this stray before it was too late. That was my thought
the first
|time I read this: "What a hypocrite. Too little, too late."
Yippee for
|this person who learned all about love and compassion from Ugly,
too bad
|Ugly had to die for him or her to learn it. To me, the
author/narrator is
|just as guilty as everyone else.
|
|Anyway, just my .02. Rant over.
|
|Beth

Tara Lammé

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Hey...what story would this be? I've never seen it. Could someone post a
link? Thanks..

Tara

C <C...@email.woman.com> wrote in article <377AE894...@erols.com>...
> x-no-archive: yes

> BugsBunny wrote:
>
> > It's just a story. But what gets me is it keeps on finding it's
> > way in the cat news groups. There are too many sad things that
> > we have to deal with about our beloved cats. I don't think
> > newbies or any "first time readers" should have to feel bad for
> > something that probably never happened. It's a heart wrenching
> > story, but it IS just a story.
>

> It's a story with a message, Bugs. Apparently that message was lost on
> you.
>
> C.
>

> --
> For e-mail change woman to women.

NoOrdinaryWhore

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In article <7le7i4$t8f$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, Bu...@hop.trail
says...

> Here we go with the "Ugly the Cat" story again! It's sad, but
> people, it's false!!
>
> Bugsy

It's obviously a false story. It still made the tears well up in my
eyes, though. What difference does it make if it's true? It's a story
worthy of Paul Harvey. (It might ruin my reputation in some circles, but
I actually like his show!)

Gillie
--
Never trust a man that can't control himself.
Never trust a man willing to give up a beloved family member to save

Larry Osborne

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99

I know its false. It is still a beautiful story.

Ask David, a good story isn't a documentary.

Larry Osborne

BugsBunny <Bu...@hop.trail> wrote in message

> Here we go with the "Ugly the Cat" story again! It's sad, but
> people, it's false!!
>
> Bugsy

BethH

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:11:41 -0400, "BugsBunny" <Bu...@hop.trail>
wrote:

>It's just a story. But what gets me is it keeps on finding it's
>way in the cat news groups. There are too many sad things that
>we have to deal with about our beloved cats. I don't think
>newbies or any "first time readers" should have to feel bad for
>something that probably never happened. It's a heart wrenching
>story, but it IS just a story.

Yes Bugs, I *am* aware of that, as I mentioned in my earlier post on
the subject. It is the *message* of the story, as I interpret it,
that makes me angry.

Beth
My address is spamblocked. To reply, change to:
mehitabel9 at earthlink dot net

newsgroup

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Boy I didn't realize that posting that message would get so many reactions.
The story made me sad.

Marlene

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
ROFLMAO!!

Red Rooster wrote:

> How do you arrive at the conclusion that message was lost on Bugs? Simply
> pointing out that something is a fictional narrative does not automatically
> equate to its message not being appreciated. I'm accused of being rude and
> harsh with folks in this group, but some of you got your ass wound so tight
> I bet only dogs can hear you fart.
>
> Red Rooster
> Always Obey The Voices In Your Head

BugsBunny

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
No, not at all. The first time I read it, I thought the same
thing... "how sad it was"... and then someone posted in here
that it is just a story ~pulled from a website~!!

Yes, it does send a message, a very important one. And the first
thing you should see from this is that your sarcasm regarding it
isn't appropriate.

Bugsy

C wrote in message <377AE894...@erols.com>...
|It's a story with a message, Bugs. Apparently that message was
lost on
|you.
|
|C.

BugsBunny

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Paul Harvey? <snicker>... :]

Bugsy

NoOrdinaryWhore wrote in message ...

|In article <7le7i4$t8f$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,
Bu...@hop.trail
|says...

|> Here we go with the "Ugly the Cat" story again! It's sad, but
|> people, it's false!!
|>
|> Bugsy

BugsBunny

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
C,

Lighten up! If you didn't catch the clue of my integrity, that's
okay. It's your opinion, but don't freak out over it (besides,
it's just ~at story~!) You sound way too serious, C.

Bugs

C wrote in message <377BF2FB...@erols.com>...
|x-no-archive: yes
|
|Red Rooster wrote:
|
|> How do you arrive at the conclusion that message was lost on
Bugs?

|Because she said, "Here we go with the "Ugly the Cat" story
again! It's sad,
|butpeople, it's false!!" (Bugsy)
|
|Not only did she post this once, she posted it twice, clearly
indicating to me
|her ample displeasure and irritation at the re-posting of a
touching and
|poignant, albeit false story. If she did assimilate the message
of the story,
|her posts did not indicate it.
|
|Happy now?

|> I'm accused of being rude and
|> harsh with folks in this group, but some of you got your ass
wound so tight
|> I bet only dogs can hear you fart.
|

|What do you care?
|
|C.

helen s

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 20:04:28 -0400, "Red Rooster"
<rob...@NOSPAMeudoramail.com> wrote:

>>What do you care?
>
>How do you arrive at the conclusion that I care? It really makes me no
>difference whether your farts are audible. Do you have a dog? Do you blame
>your flatulence on the dog? Shame on you. The path to enlightenment is
>taking responsibility for your actions. I suffer from Chronic Flatus
>Nervosa. It's a fun ailment for biker parties. Can I send you a .wav file of
>our of my attacks?

>Red Rooster
>Always Obey The Voices In Your Head

I always own up to my flatulence offerings - particularly the more
musical variety - Mozart would ahve got inspiration from them:-)

Regards, helen s

-- Love me, love my cats --

SkunkyCat

Jul 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/2/99
Even if this story is false, it is not make-believe.
This story is very believable and rings of truth.
(Just work/volunteer at a shelter and you'll know
what I mean.) Heck, when I was a kid, I watched some
teenagers beat a kitten to death with a golf club, and
right to the end, the kitten kept rubbing against
their legs, purring. The next day, I wondered where
the kitten was, until I saw it laying in the trashcan:-(

Rodney

Cathy Friedmann

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99

NoOrdinaryWhore wrote in message ...
>In article <7le7i4$t8f$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, Bu...@hop.trail
>says...
>> Here we go with the "Ugly the Cat" story again! It's sad, but
>> people, it's false!!
>>
>> Bugsy
>
>It's obviously a false story. It still made the tears well up in my
>eyes, though. What difference does it make if it's true? It's a story
>worthy of Paul Harvey. (It might ruin my reputation in some circles, but
>I actually like his show!)
>Gillie

Sshhh...Gillie...don't tell anyone, but... I rather like his show, too!
First heard it when I was in my 20's - listened, and found that I actually
enjoyed it! ;-) Cathy

Hazel Az

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99

Cathy Friedmann <c...@borg.com> wrote in message

<furtively looking around to see if anyone is listening>

I like it too. I would try to catch it whenever I could.

Hazel Az

Joanne

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99

This one made me cry too and like you said, Ugly may be just a story but I
still cried imagining what the cat must have gone through, There are loads
of programmes on TV now about animal welfare and the disgusting state cats
get in and are treated by uncaring unfeeling bastards !!! (sorry for the
language) I always make myself watch them even though it upsets me cos I
think you have to know what goes on out there.
I know ignorance is bliss, but I would still rather know.

SkunkyCat wrote in message <7liduc$2je$1...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>...

Heck, when I was a kid, I watched some
>teenagers beat a kitten to death with a golf club, and
>right to the end, the kitten kept rubbing against
>their legs, purring. The next day, I wondered where
>the kitten was, until I saw it laying in the trashcan:-(
>
>Rodney
>

>NoOrdinaryWhore wrote in message ...
>>In article <7le7i4$t8f$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, Bu...@hop.trail
>>says...
>>> Here we go with the "Ugly the Cat" story again! It's sad, but
>>> people, it's false!!
>>>
>>> Bugsy
>>
>>It's obviously a false story. It still made the tears well up in my
>>eyes, though. What difference does it make if it's true? It's a story
>>worthy of Paul Harvey. (It might ruin my reputation in some circles, but
>>I actually like his show!)
>>
>>Gillie

Trina

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Isn't it amazing how some people will turn anything into an excuse for
an argument?

Trina

--
If your morals make you dreary, depend on it, they are wrong.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

NoOrdinaryWhore

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
In article <7m1ch3$vkh$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>,
devines...@mindspring.com says...
> So, you guys, who's Paul Harvey? What am I missing?

<snip>

Paul Harvey is a radio personality. He has a long-running syndicated
show where he reads the 'news'. The news is usually stories about 'Mr
and Mrs. America living in Hometown, Idaho save kittens from snow storm
and from them realize the true meaning of Christmas'. He's sort of the
_Reader's Digest_ of the radio.

Kathy Devine

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
So, you guys, who's Paul Harvey? What am I missing?

My new prof in grad school is reading a page from "Chicken Soup for the
Soul" at the start of every class. They go from feel-good to tear jerker. He
reads it, then just starts in with class. I'm not sure how I feel about it
yet.

As for the post about teens beating the cat with a club, we caught some kids
setting a kitten on fire in a box when I was around 5. Luck my mom was
there. She rescued the kitty and caught the ring leader, dragging him home
by the short hairs. Boy, did he get in trouble (ah, the innocent 60's).
Lucky my dad wasn't around to catch them - they would have returned home
much worse for the wear. The kitten was okay - just scared. But I think my
mom passed her "superwoman" cape down to us - we're still rescuing kitties
over thirty years later! The only thing that pisses me off about this story
is that the writer didn't do something sooner.
Regards,
Kath

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (Who said
this, anyway?)

enrico...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 6:18:03 AM7/20/20
RE: My Relationship to 'Ugly the Cat'...
"Many people over the years have asked if this is a real story, and if it is, why didn't I do something if I knew he was being abused! This is my answer..."
"I first wrote this in 1998. I have modified it several times since then, usually by adding and changing it to make it better and easier to read. I have also seen it posted on the Internet many many times without giving me recognition as the original author. I have even see it posted sometimes with other authors names. 'C'est la vie' (Such is Life)! I can usually tell based upon what Version of the story they use. Anyway, I have always allowed people to 'Share' my work and I so don't really fret over it. I guess I should, but I don't. No matter."
"Now, as to it being real. As it usually goes with stories, many are All Fiction; Others just somewhat true, some are 90% true and many contain what they call "Poetic License" which means it's mostly Fiction. Mostly, This Story is True...Maybe! It would help you to know that I have always loved animals, especially cats. I'm a sucker for them. All of the animals that call me their 'Provider' (...or Their Slave for those that know these things), I've Rescued. Some from the Street, some from Shelters and some from the SPCA. So, 'Some' of this story is defined by that."
"To my surprise, I have even seen some Very Negative Comments about my story. These usually 'Condemn' me for writing a story about it and not helping the poor cat! If I knew what was happening, why didn't I help? Well, maybe, just maybe, I had just moved into the area and didn't know what was going on with Ugly! Maybe when I found out...it was to late! Maybe I have lived with that knowledge for years! No one can ever know the whole story."
"Anyway, as to whether it is true or not, I will neither confirm nor deny. I will say this though, it happened a long time ago and it will stay with me forever...!"

~ © Copyright 2013 Drew Cardwell
A Story by Drew Cardwell. For More, Please Visit us at: MyWesternHumor.

enrico...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 6:23:25 AM7/20/20
somewhat anomalous story, how does the biography of a stray cat do? followed him all day? how can he say that he never had love if he himself said he had not helped him before because maybe he was not yet a resident there or he didn't know it. It can't be that he had attention from other people, it seems that from what I understand and find out he wrote a story humanizing it and then put the copyrigt.t

enrico...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 6:28:03 AM7/20/20
Ugly the Kitten Story Will Break Your Heart - I Heart Petswww.i-heart-pets.com ›ugly-the -...
visit this link and you will see that even the photo of the cat is contradicted and cut at the top so as not to show that the ear is there. I found the original photo on the internet. not to mention the tail since 1999 the tail disappears in all versions of the story.

enrico...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 6:31:27 AM7/20/20
In the end I convinced myself that he wrote this story to hit people in the heart and make people feel sorry for this kitten, but there are many like this cat that I repeat cannot be read as a biography, He followed the cat to lifetime? Do you know if there were other people who helped the cat? Have you ever seen a cat holding the other cheek?

enrico...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2020, 6:35:27 AM7/20/20
they throw stones and he doesn't run away? do they throw water and get wet? but come on you have never seen a stray cat who behaves like this.And in the end he says? maybe the story is true, I do not confirm or deny it, but come on! probably with copyright he takes money every time it is published and this story has been going for more than twenty years

enrico...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2020, 10:47:53 AM7/22/20
But then if the author is unknown how can you say that the story is true as it is reported in all the versions circulating on the web? It is a contradiction