CAT PEE IN CORNER

Keuda

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
They can be very insistant. I finally just put the cat box there (actually
I got another box and put it there ....in the corner of course). It did
solve the problem. I just have another box.
Rising Sun wrote in message <37b9e70b...@news.videotron.ca>...
>Help!
>
>I'm at my wits end... my cat insists on peeing on the carpet on the
>main floor even though his box is kept clean. First I tried pepper,
>then baking soda and now have breadcrumbs there to absorb some of the
>odour (the house is starting to smell too now)...
>
>Can someone please let me know if they have any way to get the odour
>out of the carpet and how to get him to stop peeing in the same area.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Rising Sun
>"You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

Rising Sun

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99

Sandypaw

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Hi there!

I had this problem with a kitten of mine and I felt much the same way you do
right now. She even managed to figure out how to open my bedroom door so
she could go and pee on my quilt!

Out of desperation I rang my local Feline Association who told me the
simplest way of stopping your little dear from peeing in the same spot is to
make the area as unpleasant as possible to her. They suggested eucalyptus
(I'm Australian and don't even think I spelled that right ;) ) oil or
something that smells similar. I just put a few drops on and around the
area and Sonia stopped pretty well straight away.

I also stopped her from clawing at my good lounge by putting a tissue with a
few drops of this oil on it under the cushion that she used to sharpen her
claws.

Hope this helps.

Vanessa

Katharine Lak

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Coming from someone that used to work in the carpet cleaning industry I
would STRONGLY suggest you use an equal part of white vinegar to an equal
part of luke warm water to clean up this messy situation. First DAB at the
moist spot with a paper towel and then DAB with the above solution. Urine
(of any sort) is highly acidic and will eat away at the carpets.
The other issue of stopping kitty from this annoying habit - I would agree
with Spandypaw to use some eucalyptus oil - very strong deterent :)
best Wishes

Elly Biesheuvel

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Have you tried placing the box on that spot and move it a few inches each
day to the place where you want it to be?
Best wishes from the Netherlands,
Elly

Rising Sun heeft geschreven in bericht

Becky

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <37b9e70b...@news.videotron.ca> risin...@hotmail.com (Rising Sun) writes:
>From: risin...@hotmail.com (Rising Sun)
>Subject: CAT PEE IN CORNER
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:50:31 GMT

>Help!

>I'm at my wits end... my cat insists on peeing on the carpet on the
>main floor even though his box is kept clean. First I tried pepper,
>then baking soda and now have breadcrumbs there to absorb some of the
>odour (the house is starting to smell too now)...

>Can someone please let me know if they have any way to get the odour
>out of the carpet and how to get him to stop peeing in the same area.

>Thanks in advance!

>Rising Sun
>"You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

The first thing you need to do is take the cat to the vet for a urinalysis, to
make sure he's not doing this because of a urinary tract problem, which could
become fatal if not treated. This should be done even if the cat has been
doing this for days or weeks.

Any kind of enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle, should take care of
the smell, if you follow the directions exactly.

You say he's peeing on the carpet "on the main floor". Is the litter box also
on the main floor? If I were you, I'd have one box per floor.

Good luck to you and the kitty!

Becky
rst...@indiana.edu

DFWM

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <ras.3578...@indiana.edu>,

All good advice. You can also FEED the cat in that spot, religiously.
He'll stop.

"This is either a forgery or a very clever original."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Keuda

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
If cat pee is an acid, then you should NOT add another acid to it (vinegar
is acetic acid), you get twice the ability of the acid to "eat" the carpet.
If you want to neutralize an acid, you use a base. However, it's my
understanding that cat pee is more a base than an acid in which case adding
vinegar will help. It does, however linger in the room for a very long
time. I would suggest some of the products in the pet store which are
enzymes that break down the urine and leave the carpet smelling much better.

konengro

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
Keuda wrote:

> If cat pee is an acid, then you should NOT add another acid to it (vinegar
> is acetic acid), you get twice the ability of the acid to "eat" the carpet.
> If you want to neutralize an acid, you use a base. However, it's my
> understanding that cat pee is more a base than an acid in which case adding
> vinegar will help. It does, however linger in the room for a very long
> time. I would suggest some of the products in the pet store which are
> enzymes that break down the urine and leave the carpet smelling much better.

I honestly don't know if pee is acid or base, or if it glows in
ultrviolet, but most of the smell comes from complex organic molecules
(matabolized proteins) and acetic acid is darn good at dissolving
proteins.
That said, I would, as Keuda suggests, use the enzyme. It's more
thorough used properly.
Regards,
--
Paul F. Hoff Milton, WA kone...@worldnet.att.net
*Stutsbear and the Bionic Busboy* Lithodendron, 1996

Bob Avery H.......

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
to Rising Sun
Rising Sun wrote:

> Help!
>
> I'm at my wits end... my cat insists on peeing on the carpet on the
> main floor even though his box is kept clean. First I tried pepper,
> then baking soda and now have breadcrumbs there to absorb some of the
> odour (the house is starting to smell too now)...
>
> Can someone please let me know if they have any way to get the odour
> out of the carpet and how to get him to stop peeing in the same area.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Rising Sun
> "You can only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

=====================
Dear R.S.,

Presuming that you had your vet check kitty for urinary tract problems,
and none were found, it is now up to you to break the cycle of urine
marking. First, the litter box must be regularly maintained, and that
means daily or better. It also needs to be sanitized periodically--dump
all the filler and wash the box with warm water, a biodegradable cleanser
(such as "Simple Green") and a small amount of Clorox bleach. Scrub the
surfaces of the litter pan, then rinse thoroughly and dry it. Then fill
it with either the screened original filler, or fresh filler with a small
amount of the old filler mixed in.

It is vital to thoroughly clean the affected area--covering up the smell
is not effective, as it is the scent that keeps kitty coming back to the
same place. Citrus based cleaners are highly effective. Your local pet
superstore carries a number of very suitable products.

You should also ask your vet about Feliway, a synthetic pheremone spray
that was developed by Abbott Laboratories for the explicit purpose of
controlling urine marking problems. This product has proven to be over
95% effecting in stopping urine marking by cats.
--
Cheers, BobH & Team Birman

Raymond A. Madison, Sr

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
Isn't vinegar acidic as well as urine? I would suggest baking soda, or
something similar to counter the action of the acid..

--
Raymond A. Madison, Sr
(Black Saber)

Katharine Lak <q992...@mail.connect.usq.edu.au> wrote in message

Silverfeet

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
I don't know if this works but apparantly it does for other people:

Cats are quite particular about the feel of the location they urinate in -
if it is changed in anyway it and they can't alter it, they give up (such as
strongly scenting it). Their method was to make the surface rough - put
discarded childrens building blocks down so the cat is uncomfortable in the
area or use kitchen foil, shiny side up. Apparantly the crackling noise
makes the cat stop walking on the area.

As I said I personally have no experience of whether this works - but I have
heard other people use it.

Silverfeet

na...@sketchgrowl.com

Dec 1, 2019, 5:51:06 AM12/1/19
Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :smile:

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: https://nomorecatpee.com/index.htm

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck!