How do I get rid of a Stray Tom Cat?

Matthew Hamill

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
How do you get rid of a Tom Cat? This cat is not spade and is a nuisance
to our cat and our neighbours as it is always fighting, and spraying urine everywhere.
This cat has been fighting with my cat and eating her food.
I can't seem to catch this cat to take it to the vet or spca.
Has anyone else got any ideas on how to scare this cat away for good?

Keuda

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
He probably doesn't have a home and if you have been aggressive towards him,
you certainly do not have the trust established enough to capture him. If
you and the neighbors have cats, he is hoping for food and maybe a mate. If
it were me, I would feed him until I could handle him enough to capture him.
You could also run a "found" ad in the paper.

Amethyst StarCat

Aug 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/3/99
to Matthew Hamill
Find someone from a no-kill shelter that may be willing to set a "cat
trap." This is not inhumane, but can catch the stray more effectively
that a single person can, especially if he's skittish. Then the stray
may eventually have a good home!
Amethyst StarCat

sh...@ecn.ab.ca

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
Matthew Hamill (mate...@ihug.co.nz) wrote:
: How do you get rid of a Tom Cat? This cat is not spade and is a nuisance
: to our cat and our neighbours as it is always fighting, and spraying urine everywhere.
: This cat has been fighting with my cat and eating her food.
: I can't seem to catch this cat to take it to the vet or spca.
: Has anyone else got any ideas on how to scare this cat away for good?

If your cat was kept indoors or in a fully enclosed cat run, YOU would
have NO problem.

Odette Brown

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99

Matthew Hamill (mate...@ihug.co.nz) writes:
> How do you get rid of a Tom Cat? This cat is not spade and is a nuisance
> to our cat and our neighbours as it is always fighting, and spraying urine everywhere.
> This cat has been fighting with my cat and eating her food.
> I can't seem to catch this cat to take it to the vet or spca.
> Has anyone else got any ideas on how to scare this cat away for good?

Go and borrow a NOKILL trap, have him neuter and make a pet out of him!
ob.

--
**** Odette Brown ** I love Cats *****
*** La Belle Province ** Quebec ** CANADA ***

SkunkyCat

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
Adding to what Odette said, you can rent the hav-a-hart trap
from a local hardware store. Many of us have done that.
(I actually bought my own.) Make sure you have a place
you can keep him once you trap him; ie, a bathroom, bedroom,
etc... We get lots of Tom Cats at the shelter, that once
neutered, calm down quite a bit.

So please help the little guy out?

Rodney

Ronn Blankenship

Aug 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/8/99

SkunkyCat wrote:

> Adding to what Odette said, you can rent the hav-a-hart trap
> from a local hardware store.

Your vet may also have some of these traps to rent, or may be able to direct
you to someone who does. In fact, if he's your regular vet, he might simply
loan you a trap for a few days without charging you, which is what my vet has
done in the past.

-- Ronn! :)

"Earth is the cradle of humanity, but
one cannot remain in the cradle forever."

-- Konstantin E. Tsiolkovskiy

DFWM

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
In article <7o7sg4$amu$1...@newsource.ihug.co.nz>,

Matthew Hamill <mate...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> How do you get rid of a Tom Cat? This cat is not spade and is a
nuisance
> to our cat and our neighbours as it is always fighting, and spraying
urine everywhere.
> This cat has been fighting with my cat and eating her food.
> I can't seem to catch this cat to take it to the vet or spca.
> Has anyone else got any ideas on how to scare this cat away for good?

If you remove one tom, another will take its place. You could make the
area generally unpleasant for cats, but that would affect your cats as
well. If one of the cats you are allowing outside is a tom, he will
always get into fights. Toms are just too territorial.

I have two I/O kitties (Inside / Outside). My girls are spayed, and
thoroughly innoculated. When I adopted them from the no-kill shelter, I
specifically asked for two adult cats that could go outside.

At first they were bothered by any feral tom that came sniffing around
(a half-dozen at one point). I decided to "sponsor" one of them, and
began to feed him.

He quickly declared my lot as "his" territory, and he keeps all the
other strays away. Now my girls have only ONE cat to deal with. Since
this has been going on for four years, they "tolerate" the tom.

(And he is patiently waiting for them to come into season! "Never try
to outstubborn a cat.")

"This is either a forgery or a very clever original."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

CynW514

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

>At first they were bothered by any feral tom that came sniffing around
>(a half-dozen at one point). I decided to "sponsor" one of them, and
>began to feed him.
>
>He quickly declared my lot as "his" territory, and he keeps all the
>other strays away. Now my girls have only ONE cat to deal with. Since
>this has been going on for four years, they "tolerate" the tom.
>
>(And he is patiently waiting for them to come into season! "Never try
>to outstubborn a cat.")

This is what my next-door neighbor did, though she didn't think it out that
well. Shadeau, spayed and inoculated, owns the yard, and she runs off any
ladies, but the rude boys did come calling. Then neighbor started feeding "Big
Daddy," and now he owns the yard too. There they sit in the evenings, this
tiny black kitty who thinks she is hot stuff and this big tuxedo tom who is
waiting for her to get hotter... and waiting, and waiting...

Cynthia Walker (Cyn...@aol.com) the cat comes in on little fog feet

arloma...@gmail.com

May 3, 2017, 11:45:40 PM5/3/17
I disagree.
My cat stays inside. I currently have a problem with a stray tomcat. Hence why I'm even in this thread.

pjd...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2018, 2:19:29 AM1/12/18
How can I SCARE THIS AWAY FOREVER BECAUSE THIS CAT URINES is driving me crazy..,..

aljr...@upei.ca

Mar 8, 2018, 12:09:53 AM3/8/18
I have a similar issue as I live in the country. Someone dumped a cat off at our gate and he moved into my barn and sprays everywhere including on horse hay and straw and on feed bags that are filled with oats - I can't use contaminated feed. SPCA turns them away as they are over full. I have a cat that we paid to have neutered and it's also not fair to him. Added complication is that a neighbouring farm has two toms he says he cannot afford to neuter and they visit, too.
I'm going to call another friend with a gun and get him to euthanize them all. Cat owners need to fix their cats so other people don't have to. They can't afford to fix the cat but don't care that it costs me hundreds a year in contaminated feed. I love cats but my feed, bedding, equipment, blankets and barn reek! Bang, bang!

mattico...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2018, 11:45:04 AM4/5/18
I just had the same problem just fixed it 5 min ago i caught held it still whilst my mother took the color off. Lucky for us there was a adress and telephone number in it this owner not knowing what is gonna hit him

You could also spray ur garden with aftershave or deodrant

Or use a water pistol until he gets the message

na...@sketchgrowl.com

Dec 1, 2019, 2:49:30 AM12/1/19
Sorry for chiming in a bit late to the discussion, but I really feel like I need to add my 2 cents. Cats don't just pee on floors and beds because they're in pain - could be a multitude of other reasons! Most common is that male cats feel the need to mark their territory.

As for myself, I finally found something that works for the cat pee smell in my home!

What a relief to finally have gotten rid of the horrible cat pee smell, and without any expensive sprays at that.

Registered an account only to say this:

One of my 2 cats (both neutered males) had taken to painting all of my walls, furniture, and anything else he could reach. I was horrified when I got a UV light. He never did that in all of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a buddy (they love each other and did so right away) but when a strange black cat started showing up outside both of my cats went nuts and the older one (9) started his wall painting, as well as the curtains out in the kitty room. I couldn't keep up with it.

My cats are indoor cats so it's not like the stray is actually going to get in here but they both hate him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats hate him too). I've tried cleaning with a pet urine enzyme and then spraying some "No More Spraying" but that hasn't worked.

He's a sneaky little bugger too; he waits until he thinks I'm not looking and then does it. He's learned that the minute I see him backing his butt up to something he gets yelled at. It wasn't until I found "Cat Spraying No More" that I was able to finally get rid of this tiresome behavior. Now my house doesn't smell like a litter box anymore :smile:

To be honest, I don't know too much about it so I did a quick Google search and here's a review I found: https://nomorecatpee.com/index.htm

I'm based in Germany, by the way, so you should be able to get it too. Good luck!