dolphins and whales in folklore, mythology, and religion

David Dalton

May 14, 2018, 3:01:48 AM5/14/18
What stories of dolphins and/or whales do you know of from
folklore, mythology, religion, or oral tradition?

One well known example is Jonah being swallowed by
a whale in the bible.

Another example is the shaman riding a dolphin depicted
on the Danish Gundestrup cauldron.

Another example is a whale’s tail drawing left behind by
the extinct Beothuk people of my home province of
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
“Who by high ordeal, who by common trial,

David Dalton

May 14, 2018, 3:12:15 AM5/14/18
On May 14, 2018, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.20A96BDC01...@news.eternal-september.org>):

> What stories of dolphins and/or whales do you know of from
> folklore, mythology, religion, or oral tradition?
>
> One well known example is Jonah being swallowed by
> a whale in the bible.
>
> Another example is the shaman riding a dolphin depicted
> on the Danish Gundestrup cauldron.
>
> Another example is a whale’s tail drawing left behind by
> the extinct Beothuk people of my home province of
> Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

One example from my personal experience is my
Orca Hot Foot of the fall of 1995, which I describe on
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.html
particularly in the subsubpage
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/orca.html .

I would like to know of any parallels to this experience
in mythology, religion, folklore, history, oral tradition,
or living memory.

Mark Isaak

May 16, 2018, 7:55:05 PM5/16/18
On 5/14/18 12:01 AM, David Dalton wrote:
> What stories of dolphins and/or whales do you know of from
> folklore, mythology, religion, or oral tradition?
>
> One well known example is Jonah being swallowed by
> a whale in the bible.
>
> Another example is the shaman riding a dolphin depicted
> on the Danish Gundestrup cauldron.
>
> Another example is a whale’s tail drawing left behind by
> the extinct Beothuk people of my home province of
> Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

The myth of Sedna in Inuit tradition.

Orpheus, as I recall, was once thrown overboard (for reasons I forgot)
and carried to safety by dolphins who liked his music.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"I think if we ever reach the point where we think we thoroughly