Viva!

1 view
Skip to first unread message

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 14, 2001, 9:29:21 AM12/14/01
to

Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...

--
Danny.

| Mr. Danny Chrastina
| http://www.chrastina.net/

Dave Taylor

unread,
Dec 14, 2001, 9:34:29 AM12/14/01
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@chrastina.net> wrote:
> Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...

Ah, it *was* today. (I thought so last night, but wasn't sure, and couldn't
find the relevant post on alt.alumni - Google being crap again possibly)

Good luck Danny, hope it goes/went well.

--
Dave Taylor ph...@csv.warwick.ac.uk

"Dave Taylor is one of the pioneers of Linux gaming"

Matthew Hall

unread,
Dec 14, 2001, 9:34:35 AM12/14/01
to
In article
<Pine.SOL.4.30.011214...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>,
Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote:

> Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...

Good luck.

--
Matthew Hall - matthew at flightlessbird dot fsnet dot co dot uk

cs...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk

unread,
Dec 14, 2001, 10:29:32 AM12/14/01
to
Dave Taylor <ph...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:
> Danny Chrastina <Da...@chrastina.net> wrote:
>> Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...
>
> Ah, it *was* today. (I thought so last night, but wasn't sure, and couldn't
> find the relevant post on alt.alumni - Google being crap again possibly)
>
> Good luck Danny, hope it goes/went well.

In which case, you are forgiven Danny. Give us a holler when you're done.

graham

Michael S. Glees

unread,
Dec 14, 2001, 11:04:12 AM12/14/01
to
Hi!

Danny Chrastina schrieb:


>
> Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...
>

What is a "PhD viva", by the way?

Cheers,
Michael

Jez

unread,
Dec 14, 2001, 2:13:52 PM12/14/01
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.4.30.011214...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...

> Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...

I'm going to jinx it: Congratualtions!

Jez.

Peter Oliver

unread,
Dec 16, 2001, 2:35:20 PM12/16/01
to
On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:29:21 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
>
> Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...

How'd it go?

--
Peter Oliver

"YOUR A NOB" -- Tom Burnsall

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 18, 2001, 7:30:48 AM12/18/01
to
On 16 Dec 2001, Peter Oliver wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:29:21 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
> >
> > Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...
>
> How'd it go?

Two and a half hours of it, and I've passed subject to
corrections. My external examiner (to whom English is a second language)
praised the quality of the writing, said he found it educational and would
like to keep a copy.

My internal examiner described it as "heroic" and "magnificent".

...,

Peter Oliver

unread,
Dec 18, 2001, 5:25:50 PM12/18/01
to
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:30:48 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
> On 16 Dec 2001, Peter Oliver wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:29:21 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
>> >
>> > Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...
>>
>> How'd it go?
>
> My internal examiner described it as "heroic" and "magnificent".

You made that up, didn't you?

--
Peter Oliver

"Do not stare directly into the cross!"

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 19, 2001, 11:59:14 AM12/19/01
to
On 18 Dec 2001, Peter Oliver wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:30:48 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
> > On 16 Dec 2001, Peter Oliver wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:29:21 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
> >> >
> >> > Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...
> >>
> >> How'd it go?
> >
> > My internal examiner described it as "heroic" and "magnificent".
>
> You made that up, didn't you?

No, actually.

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 10:07:21 AM12/20/01
to

So that's why it was hell.

Anyway, my internal just approved my corrections.

Jez

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 4:18:33 PM12/20/01
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.4.30.011220...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...

> On 14 Dec 2001, Jez wrote:
>
> > Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.4.30.011214...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...
> > > Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...
> >
> > I'm going to jinx it: Congratualtions!
>
> So that's why it was hell.
>
> Anyway, my internal just approved my corrections.

Well then, congratulations properly.
I find it bad enough trying to defend my project to my supervisor who
is on my side and friendly. I can't begin to imagine justifying it to
two people trying to pull holes in it.

Jez.

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 21, 2001, 12:14:55 PM12/21/01
to
On 20 Dec 2001, Jez wrote:

> > > I'm going to jinx it: Congratualtions!
> >
> > So that's why it was hell.
> >
> > Anyway, my internal just approved my corrections.
>
> Well then, congratulations properly.
> I find it bad enough trying to defend my project to my supervisor who
> is on my side and friendly. I can't begin to imagine justifying it to
> two people trying to pull holes in it.

I find that the trick is to be right.

Jez

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 8:14:42 AM12/22/01
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.4.30.011221...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...

> On 20 Dec 2001, Jez wrote:
>
> > > > I'm going to jinx it: Congratualtions!
> > >
> > > So that's why it was hell.
> > >
> > > Anyway, my internal just approved my corrections.
> >
> > Well then, congratulations properly.
> > I find it bad enough trying to defend my project to my supervisor who
> > is on my side and friendly. I can't begin to imagine justifying it to
> > two people trying to pull holes in it.
>
> I find that the trick is to be right.

Obviously that helps, but I also have a problem imposing linearity on
my ideas quickly enough to turn them into language at conversation
speed. I'm alright writing things down, by and large.

Jez.

Warwick Dumas

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 8:40:10 AM12/22/01
to

"Jez" <ma...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:20545c28.01122...@posting.google.com...

Read more.

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 10:54:25 AM12/22/01
to

After a few years of having to explain how your PhD's getting on
to your supervisor and various other group members, you learn how to make
the conversation go at your speed and not their's.

The bottom line, though, is that when you and your examiner
disagree there are only three possibilities: you're right, he's right, or
he's got the wrong end of the stick because that bit of your thesis is
written badly. It takes confidence to be sure of which one of these it is
and to act accordingly.

Whatever happens, it can almost always be fixed quite easily. The
last of my three experimental chapters gave my internal the most trouble,
because there were some glaring mistakes in it. He actually thinks I could
have got rid of that chapter altogether.

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 10:55:40 AM12/22/01
to

Actually, this is odd, Jez, because I think you're a really good
bloke in person but when we discuss stuff on newsgroups I tend to disagree
with almost everything you say.

Vincent Lynch

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 8:59:48 PM12/22/01
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote in message
news:Pine.SOL.4.30.011218...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk...

> On 16 Dec 2001, Peter Oliver wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:29:21 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
> > > Hey guess what, everyone: my PhD viva is about to begin...
> > How'd it go?
> Two and a half hours of it, and I've passed subject to
> corrections. My external examiner (to whom English is a second language)
> praised the quality of the writing, said he found it educational and would
> like to keep a copy.
> My internal examiner described it as "heroic" and "magnificent".

Clearly it was your martial destiny.

-Vincent

Vincent Lynch

unread,
Dec 22, 2001, 9:02:03 PM12/22/01
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote in message
news:Pine.SOL.4.30.011222...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk...

That's not Jez, that's Warwick.

Hmmm. This could explain a lot.

-Vincent

Amy

unread,
Dec 24, 2001, 5:29:24 PM12/24/01
to
> | ^^ http://www.chrastina.net/

You should change this to Dr.

--
Amy
www.warwick.ac.uk/~phulv/photos.html - pictures from my party!

From now on I'm going to boycott your posts until you pay him the legal minimum
bribe.

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Dec 25, 2001, 10:21:54 AM12/25/01
to
On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Amy wrote:

> > Danny.
> >
> > | Mr. Danny Chrastina
> > | ^^ http://www.chrastina.net/
>
> You should change this to Dr.

Not until two copies of my thesis have gone to Senate House with
the letter from my internal examiner.

--
Danny.

| Mr. Danny Chrastina
| http://www.chrastina.net/

Message has been deleted

Warwick Dumas

unread,
Dec 27, 2001, 11:08:11 AM12/27/01
to

"Vincent Lynch" <vin...@maths.warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:3c253e86$1...@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com...

Quoi?


Peter Oliver

unread,
Dec 27, 2001, 1:16:13 PM12/27/01
to
On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:21:54 +0000, Danny Chrastina said:
> On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Amy wrote:
>
>> > Danny.
>> >
>> > | Mr. Danny Chrastina
>> > | ^^ http://www.chrastina.net/
>>
>> You should change this to Dr.
>
> Not until two copies of my thesis have gone to Senate House with
> the letter from my internal examiner.

I suppose, really, you should wait until you graduate, but I don't
suppose anyone will mind much if you don't.

--
Peter Oliver

"I'm getting impatient, John"

The Joy of Bex

unread,
Jan 1, 2002, 7:01:35 PM1/1/02
to

"Peter Oliver" <p.d.o...@mavit.freeserve.not-me.co.uk> wrote:

> I suppose, really, you should wait until you graduate, but I don't
> suppose anyone will mind much if you don't.

If I were Joe, I'd have rushed out and changed my chequebooks etc. as soon
as I graduated, but he still hasn't done it!!!!!!

Bex B.Sc.


Danny Chrastina

unread,
Jan 3, 2002, 8:28:33 AM1/3/02
to
On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Nicholas Jackson wrote:

> scripsit Amy ...
> >I suppose I'll get to see you wearing one though. I'm wondering whether to
> >get a BA because I don't like the shade of blue they have for BSc's.
>
> You do physics, though, so I think you may have no choice in the
> matter. Mathematics is a bit of a borderline case - it's a little too
> philosophical and abstract to be entirely a science, but it's a bit too
> logical to be entirely an art, hence some places (like York and
> Warwick) let you choose what your degree is called. Physics would seem
> to be pretty definitively a science, though - in the words of
> Rutherford [1], it's ``... the only true science - everything else is
> just stamp-collecting''.

Unless you're a Tab, in which case the Natural Sciences degree is
a BA.

Mr W M Dumas

unread,
Jan 3, 2002, 9:59:08 AM1/3/02
to

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Amy wrote:

> Danny Chrastina <Da...@chrastina.net> wrote:


> > On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Amy wrote:
> >> Danny Chrastina <Da...@chrastina.net> wrote:

> >> > On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Amy wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> > Danny.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > | Mr. Danny Chrastina
> >> >> > | ^^ http://www.chrastina.net/
> >> >>
> >> >> You should change this to Dr.
> >> >
> >> > Not until two copies of my thesis have gone to Senate House with
> >> > the letter from my internal examiner.
> >>

> >> We were talking about this earlier, and Vin said that Joe had started
> >> calling himself Doctor straight away, but he thought you were the kind of
> >> person who'd wait till it was all official. I guess he was right.
> >
> > I didn't even dare have a go with Jim's floppy hat.


>
> I suppose I'll get to see you wearing one though. I'm wondering whether to

> get a BA because I don't like the shade of blue they have for BSc's. But
> that would put me in a group with Warwick and Nick Jackson, hmmmmmm.

Do an extra year instead of graduating. That reminds me, the one-month
period, between the ESRC having started taking PhD applications and the
University finishing taking applications, has now begun.

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Jan 4, 2002, 10:31:32 AM1/4/02
to

There are those who think it's a bit rude and/or pretentious to
call yourself Doctor all the time unless you're an actual medical doctor
rather than a useless philosophical one.

Anyway, I've just printed out the final corrected theses and if
the weekend's proofreading goes okay I'll bind them and hand them in on
Monday.

cs...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk

unread,
Jan 4, 2002, 12:22:00 PM1/4/02
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@chrastina.net> wrote:
> There are those who think it's a bit rude and/or pretentious to
> call yourself Doctor all the time unless you're an actual medical doctor
> rather than a useless philosophical one.

Hmm. I can't remember the source of the dialgoue that included the lines
"He's a doctor. Though not a proper doctor, just a medical doctor."
Which I'm inclined to endorse.

> Anyway, I've just printed out the final corrected theses and if
> the weekend's proofreading goes okay I'll bind them and hand them in on
> Monday.

I would congratulate you and ask if you're going to baby b tonight, but
I'm trying to get an early night to get up early tomorrow. Although
today the decision to fly from Heathrow rather than Birmingham
International looks rather less foolish than it did yesterday.

graham

Ed Hillan

unread,
Jan 4, 2002, 1:38:38 PM1/4/02
to
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 cs...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk wrote:

> Although
> today the decision to fly from Heathrow rather than Birmingham
> International looks rather less foolish than it did yesterday.

Damn straight. I landed in Brum at 11.20ish, and by the time I was on the
train every relative I had was phoning me to see if I was ok. Scary shit.

Ed

Jez

unread,
Jan 4, 2002, 3:18:19 PM1/4/02
to
Danny Chrastina <Da...@Chrastina.net> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.4.30.02010...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...

> On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, The Joy of Bex wrote:
>
> > "Peter Oliver" <p.d.o...@mavit.freeserve.not-me.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > I suppose, really, you should wait until you graduate, but I don't
> > > suppose anyone will mind much if you don't.
> >
> > If I were Joe, I'd have rushed out and changed my chequebooks etc. as soon
> > as I graduated, but he still hasn't done it!!!!!!
>
> There are those who think it's a bit rude and/or pretentious to
> call yourself Doctor all the time unless you're an actual medical doctor
> rather than a useless philosophical one.

But technically, `doctor' means `teacher,' so the medical doctorate is
an honorary one (unless you're a teaching doctor).
The way I resolve this is that if you work in a university or are a
teacher, then it would be quite acceptable to call yourself a doctor
even if you are a useless philosophical one. If you go away and work
in industry for some reason (perhaps you stumbled across the word
`wage' in a dictionary), then calling yourself doctor could be justly
described as pretentious.

Plus, nobody wants to find oneself in an emergency situation on a
plane where there isn't time to explain that actually semiconducters
are more your thing than anatomy. ``Right. I'll need a sun
workstation, two hundred megs or RAM and a silicon wafer,'' wouldn't
go down too well.

> Anyway, I've just printed out the final corrected theses and if
> the weekend's proofreading goes okay I'll bind them and hand them in on
> Monday.

<snigger> he said theses. Sounds almost exactly like bum.

Jez.

Dafydd y garreg wen

unread,
Jan 4, 2002, 3:34:22 PM1/4/02
to
In article <20545c28.02010...@posting.google.com>, Jez
<ma...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> writes

>Plus, nobody wants to find oneself in an emergency situation on a
>plane where there isn't time to explain that actually semiconducters
>are more your thing than anatomy. ``Right. I'll need a sun
>workstation, two hundred megs or RAM and a silicon wafer,'' wouldn't
>go down too well.

Easy - just hang around with some Trombonists; at the Brahms Requiem
concert I mentioned a while ago (where an old woman collapsed), the
other two were consultants at the John Radcliffe. The Tuba player (a
Chemistry PhD) is training to be a Nurse.

>
>> Anyway, I've just printed out the final corrected theses and if
>> the weekend's proofreading goes okay I'll bind them and hand them in on
>> Monday.
>
><snigger> he said theses. Sounds almost exactly like bum.

You wouldn't believe how many times this pun has been made in my office
in recent weeks (there are two theses nearing completion). Or perhaps
you would.

Dave

Jez

unread,
Jan 5, 2002, 9:55:01 AM1/5/02
to
Dafydd y garreg wen <dta...@grove4.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<iF+rNPBO...@grove4.demon.co.uk>...

> ><snigger> he said theses. Sounds almost exactly like bum.


>
> You wouldn't believe how many times this pun has been made in my office
> in recent weeks (there are two theses nearing completion). Or perhaps
> you would.

I first thought up the gag when I realised there was a room full of
theses in the library.

Jez.

Dafydd y garreg wen

unread,
Jan 5, 2002, 5:27:52 PM1/5/02
to
>Dafydd y garreg wen <dta...@grove4.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<iF+rNPBO
>HhN8...@grove4.demon.co.uk>...

>> In article <20545c28.02010...@posting.google.com>, Jez
>> <ma...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> writes
>
>> ><snigger> he said theses. Sounds almost exactly like bum.
>>
>> You wouldn't believe how many times this pun has been made in my office
>> in recent weeks (there are two theses nearing completion). Or perhaps
>> you would.
>
>I first thought up the gag when I realised there was a room full of
>theses in the library.

At Culham, they store a sample of the theses of each outgoing student.

Enjoy (and not a thesis in sight):
http://rinkworks.com/bookaminute/sff.shtml

Dave

Nicholas Jackson

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 4:28:30 AM1/7/02
to
scripsit The Joy of Bex ...

>If I were Joe, I'd have rushed out and changed my chequebooks etc. as soon
>as I graduated, but he still hasn't done it!!!!!!

Me too. The thought of having the bank manager, at some point in the
future, address me as `Dr Jackson' when he screws up is one of the
things which keeps me going when the research gets difficult.

>Bex B.Sc.

I didn't do it for my BA or my MSc (or the GIMA, when I was still in
the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications) - postnominal
letters (except ones as lofty as `FRS', for example) usually look a bit
pretentious (except in academic staff lists, I guess). And writing PhD
after your name makes you sound like some dodgy American self-help book
author or conspiracy theorist. Being Dr <whoever>, though, sounds just
right.

(master) nicholas

--
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or
numbered. My life is my own.

Mr W M Dumas

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 5:50:18 AM1/7/02
to

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Nicholas Jackson wrote:

> scripsit The Joy of Bex ...
> >If I were Joe, I'd have rushed out and changed my chequebooks etc. as soon
> >as I graduated, but he still hasn't done it!!!!!!
>
> Me too. The thought of having the bank manager, at some point in the
> future, address me as `Dr Jackson' when he screws up is one of the
> things which keeps me going when the research gets difficult.
>
> >Bex B.Sc.
>
> I didn't do it for my BA or my MSc (or the GIMA, when I was still in
> the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications) - postnominal
> letters (except ones as lofty as `FRS', for example) usually look a bit
> pretentious (except in academic staff lists, I guess). And writing PhD
> after your name makes you sound like some dodgy American self-help book
> author or conspiracy theorist. Being Dr <whoever>, though, sounds just
> right.

What bothers me is, what is there that someone can do that does strike awe
into the hearts of all, from the vulgarest to the most civil? What cipher
can be earnt that will stamp on people's awareness the marks of how your
words merit the most serious consideration?

Message has been deleted

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 9:58:33 AM1/7/02
to
On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Vincent Lynch wrote:

> Danny Chrastina <Da...@chrastina.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, The Joy of Bex wrote:
> >> "Peter Oliver" <p.d.o...@mavit.freeserve.not-me.co.uk> wrote:
> >> > I suppose, really, you should wait until you graduate, but I don't
> >> > suppose anyone will mind much if you don't.
> >> If I were Joe, I'd have rushed out and changed my chequebooks etc. as soon
> >> as I graduated, but he still hasn't done it!!!!!!
> > There are those who think it's a bit rude and/or pretentious to
> > call yourself Doctor all the time unless you're an actual medical doctor
> > rather than a useless philosophical one.
>

> But surely that's half the fun?
>
> I already receive letters addressed to DR LYNCH occasionally, and somehow I
> never get around to correcting anyone. Bet I'm not the only one this happens
> to, either.

I've not been addressed in this manner so far.

> > Anyway, I've just printed out the final corrected theses and if
> > the weekend's proofreading goes okay I'll bind them and hand them in on
> > Monday.
>

> So no doubt I'll read you've done this in a thread I haven't got to yet. Or
> have you gone straight to the bar again?

I haven't done it yet, considering I spent no time at all over the
weekend proof-reading the final version.

Danny Chrastina

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 10:07:59 AM1/7/02
to
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Dafydd y garreg wen wrote:

> In article <20545c28.02010...@posting.google.com>, Jez
> <ma...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> writes
> >Plus, nobody wants to find oneself in an emergency situation on a
> >plane where there isn't time to explain that actually semiconducters
> >are more your thing than anatomy. ``Right. I'll need a sun
> >workstation, two hundred megs or RAM and a silicon wafer,'' wouldn't
> >go down too well.
>
> Easy - just hang around with some Trombonists;

Ha, I knew one who managed to fail a biology degree. Twice.

Nicholas Jackson

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 10:58:00 AM1/7/02
to
scripsit Danny Chrastina ...

>On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Vincent Lynch wrote:
>> I already receive letters addressed to DR LYNCH occasionally, and somehow I
>> never get around to correcting anyone. Bet I'm not the only one this happens
>> to, either.
>
> I've not been addressed in this manner so far.

That's mainly because your name's not Vincent Lynch, I would have
thought.

Fish had the Room 66 record, I think, on one occasion receiving
conference information addressed to `Professor Andrew Fish'. The London
Mathematical Society once emailed me as `Dr Jackson', but I felt honour
bound to correct them.

nicholas

--
We love you; that is why we are here.

Message has been deleted

Nicholas Jackson

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 11:04:13 AM1/7/02
to
scripsit Mr W M Dumas ...

>What bothers me is, what is there that someone can do that does strike awe
>into the hearts of all, from the vulgarest to the most civil? What cipher
>can be earnt that will stamp on people's awareness the marks of how your
>words merit the most serious consideration?

I doubt very much that there is one. For example, I tend to accord a
certain amount of default respect to anyone with the letters `FRS'
after their name. But I'm guessing that the average man in the street
has a modicum of mild contempt for `these academic types - a lot of
them can't tie their own shoelaces, you know'. Similarly, I've never
been particularly impressed by professional footballers, but there're a
lot of people out there who regard David Beckham as a god.

Nicholas Jackson

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 11:10:03 AM1/7/02
to
scripsit Danny Chrastina ...

\begin{pedantry}[tedious]
Technically, the undergraduate natural sciences degree is (like
everything else) an MA [1], but you get the BA as a preliminary award until
you've completed the remaining bits of your course. These days, the
only remaining requirements are ``Stay alive for four more years'' but
centuries ago there were a few more than this.
\end{pedantry}

nicholas

[1] Unless you do one of these weird newfangled four-year courses like
what they didn't have in my day. It bain't natural if you ask me.

Nicholas Jackson

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 11:21:59 AM1/7/02
to
scripsit Danny Chrastina ...

> There are those who think it's a bit rude and/or pretentious to
>call yourself Doctor all the time unless you're an actual medical doctor
>rather than a useless philosophical one.

Which is interesting, because the majority of GPs don't have MDs - the
courtesy title `doctor' gets accorded to anyone with a medical degree,
although since the undergraduate medical degree in this country (the weird
double degree of MB BS or MB ChB depending on where you go) takes about
five or six years anyway, including clinical practice and experience, most
of them end up doing the equivalent number of years' study anyway. There
isn't usually the same `original contribution to research' requirement as
actual doctorates, but with the introduction in recent years of vocational
doctorates (Warwick does the EdD, EngD and DClinPsych, for example) this
has gone out of the window anyway. The American equivalent of an LLM is
something called a JD (Juris Doctor), which technically carries the title
of `doctor' but I understand it's Not Done to actually use it.

nicholas

Mr W M Dumas

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 11:22:21 AM1/7/02
to

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Nicholas Jackson wrote:

Perhaps a Fellowship combined with a good word from David Beckham?

Nicholas Jackson

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 11:34:40 AM1/7/02
to

There're enough people in the world that you could almost certainly
find someone who's going to think you're a prat regardless of what
qualifications you have, or who reckons you're a decent bloke. Given
the grumpiness of the average member of the public, there'll be at
least one person out there who will dislike you no matter what, for no
other reason than they hate everybody.

dev/null

unread,
Jan 7, 2002, 8:19:40 PM1/7/02
to
In article <slrna3jjh0...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>,
Nicholas Jackson wrote:
> ... there'll be at

>least one person out there who will dislike you no matter what, for no
>other reason than they hate everybody.

You mean like Cliff Yablonski:

http://www.somethingawful.com/cliff/ihateyou/

Mr W M Dumas

unread,
Jan 8, 2002, 7:03:46 AM1/8/02
to

Pretend to be something they like?

Mr W M Dumas

unread,
Jan 8, 2002, 8:10:15 AM1/8/02
to

Or maybe, find the strategy which works in all non-trivial cases?

Mr W M Dumas

unread,
Jan 8, 2002, 4:59:57 PM1/8/02
to

I think 'yablonski' means 'buttery'.

Amy

unread,
Jan 8, 2002, 1:03:35 PM1/8/02
to

Does this mean if I wanted to do some kind of postgrad course I would have
to apply before the end of the month?

--
Amy
www.warwick.ac.uk/~phulv/photos.html - pictures from my party!

From now on I'm going to boycott your posts until you pay him the legal minimum
bribe.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
Message has been deleted
0 new messages