#aaw

RjY

Dec 21, 2002, 1:38:44 PM12/21/02
I propose that we rename our IRC channel on astrolink from #warwick to
#aaw. Most people who use it have either left the university, or will do
within months, etc.

To facilitate this I have created #aaw on astrolink and copied over all
the flags and the access list, which is about as much as I can do.

Obviously I can't move the bots. I don't own them. I guess the only way
this would ever work is if Iain and Peter can be convinced to do so.

Possibly Iain can get itsrbot to bridge all three(*) channels for a
while, or, I don't know, ChanServ could be instructed to tell anyone who
joins that we have moved, or something.

I guess http://www.triv.org.uk/alt.alumni.warwick/irc.html would need
updating as well.

I'm not again suggesting we move networks. Astrolink is pretty quiet, so
everyone can use their first name, or whatever they prefer, as their
nick, and register it and yadda yadda.

Well it's just a thought, it simply seems a bit more logical and having
said that there's probably some daft reason I've missed that makes the
whole idea a bad one, and so if it doesn't take I'll drop #aaw's
registration and we'll forget all about it. Your thoughts please.

(*) I can count - there's a #warwick on efnet as well(**)

(**) Not to mention the rogue one on QuakeNet whose recent coming into
existence has turned this vague idea in the back of my mind to rename
the channel into some sort of positive action.

--
RjY at The Realm of anARCHy .co.uk >o o< http://www.triv.org.uk/~rjy/

Matthew Hall

Dec 21, 2002, 2:06:08 PM12/21/02
On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, RjY wrote:

<snip>

I honestly can't see the point. What exactly is lost by calling it
#warwick?

Change it if most people want to, but it just doesn't seem worth the
bother.

Matthew Hall - marwab at csv dot warwick dot ac dot uk

Warwick Michael Dumas

Jan 5, 2003, 4:39:35 PM1/5/03
Matthew Hall <mar...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<Pine.SOL.4.44.021221...@mimosa.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...

> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, RjY wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I honestly can't see the point. What exactly is lost by calling it
> #warwick?

Nothing. More things need to be called Warwick, so as to cause more
confusion.

> Change it if most people want to, but it just doesn't seem worth the
> bother.
>
> Matthew Hall - marwab at csv dot warwick dot ac dot uk

I tried to get this to work the other night but it's really weird - I
went to #warwick and there was no one there except some bitch called
"Hazel". I told her to fuck off.

Warwick Dumas

www.members.tripod.com/ecuqe

"If Adolf Hitler were here today, they'd send a limousine anyway." -
Joe Strummer

Matthew Hall

Jan 5, 2003, 4:51:42 PM1/5/03
In article <220ab945.03010...@posting.google.com>,

warwic...@tiscali.co.uk (Warwick Michael Dumas) wrote:

> > Change it if most people want to, but it just doesn't seem worth the
> > bother.
> >
> > Matthew Hall - marwab at csv dot warwick dot ac dot uk
>
> I tried to get this to work the other night but it's really weird - I
> went to #warwick and there was no one there except some bitch called
> "Hazel". I told her to fuck off.

I suspect you were on the wrong network.

Is the Dumas on nationstates you? (Yes or no.)

Peter Oliver

Jan 5, 2003, 5:16:43 PM1/5/03
On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 21:51:42 +0000, Matthew Hall said:

> Is the Dumas on nationstates you? (Yes or no.)

That's
http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/page=display_region/region=warwickuni
for the rest of you. This has spread from uwarwick.frolics to #warwick.
Feel free to pile on in.

--
Peter Oliver

"Do not stare directly into the cross!"

The Joy of Bex

Jan 6, 2003, 4:39:07 AM1/6/03
Matthew Hall <mar...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message

Have they introduced another random letter to Warwick email
addresses?! Anyway...

> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, RjY wrote:
> <snip>
> I honestly can't see the point. What exactly is lost by calling it
> #warwick?

I really think this is a pisspoor idea for the following reasons:

* People doing random searches for their old university might crop up.
* People who haven't been on the channel for ages and don't read this
newsgroup might be lost forever.
* No offence, but I spent more time at Warwick than at aaw, and I
assume the channel is meant for both alumni, and those still at Woz.

Bex

P.S. I'll probably disappear from here after I start teaching. Busy
n stuff.

The Joy of Bex

Jan 6, 2003, 7:37:14 AM1/6/03
Peter Oliver <p.d.o...@mavit.freeserve.not-me.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 21:51:42 +0000, Matthew Hall said:
> >
> > Is the Dumas on nationstates you? (Yes or no.)
> That's
> http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/page=display_region/region=warwickuni
> for the rest of you. This has spread from uwarwick.frolics to #warwick.
> Feel free to pile on in.

I would do but it takes so bloody long to do anything on there!!

Bex

The Joy of Bex

Jan 6, 2003, 7:37:56 AM1/6/03
Peter Oliver

"Do not stare directly into the cross!"

Ha ha. Haven't seen that one for a while. My currency on
NationStates is the Miffy.

Bex

RjY

Jan 6, 2003, 11:11:56 AM1/6/03
The Joy of Bex typed...

>Have they introduced another random letter to Warwick email
>addresses?! Anyway...

Having an address space 26 times larger means it's a lot longer before
your login code is reused by Snotty Nosed Fresher #8437259

>Matthew Hall <mar...@csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote in message

>> On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, RjY wrote:
>> <snip>
>> I honestly can't see the point. What exactly is lost by calling it
>> #warwick?
>I really think this is a pisspoor idea for the following reasons:
>* People doing random searches for their old university might crop up.

People doing random searches for their old university are probably at
work and have like 2 minutes to spare before Sandra from accounts gets
back with that piece of information they requested. They are unlikely to
be looking for IRC channels to waste hours on

>* People who haven't been on the channel for ages and don't read this
>newsgroup might be lost forever.

Oh my heart bleeds! Also that was also an argument against moving
networks. But it didn't stop them doing that. Hence why I suggested
bridging the two by fiddling with the relay bot's configuration

>* No offence, but I spent more time at Warwick than at aaw, and I
>assume the channel is meant for both alumni, and those still at Woz.

Tell that to Brian The Loved Up Goth

Anyway I dropped it a couple of days ago because it wasn't catching on
(or at least I would do if I could remember the password, heh, oh well,
it'll expire by itself) Also you seem to forget or not know the real and
completely selfish reason why I suggested the idea in the first place.

>P.S. I'll probably disappear from here after I start teaching. Busy
>n stuff.

Oh well this group is dead anyway. Bye! Have a nice life!

Michael S. Glees

Jan 6, 2003, 12:45:11 PM1/6/03
Hi!

Peter Oliver schrieb:

> On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 21:51:42 +0000, Matthew Hall said:
> >
> > Is the Dumas on nationstates you? (Yes or no.)
>
> That's
> http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/page=display_region/region=warwickuni
> for the rest of you. This has spread from uwarwick.frolics to #warwick.
> Feel free to pile on in.

What exactly is that?

Cheers,
Michael

Warwick Michael Dumas

Jan 6, 2003, 1:37:47 PM1/6/03
Matthew Hall <mar...@backwards.vcs.kciwraw.ca.ku> wrote in message news:<marwab-F53AC5....@news.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...

> In article <220ab945.03010...@posting.google.com>,
> warwic...@tiscali.co.uk (Warwick Michael Dumas) wrote:
>
> > > Change it if most people want to, but it just doesn't seem worth the
> > > bother.
> > >
> > > Matthew Hall - marwab at csv dot warwick dot ac dot uk
> >
> > I tried to get this to work the other night but it's really weird - I
> > went to #warwick and there was no one there except some bitch called
> > "Hazel". I told her to fuck off.
>
> I suspect you were on the wrong network.

All right then. Is anyone going to tell me how to gizmo this widget,
or whatever?

> Is the Dumas on nationstates you? (Yes or no.)

Yes, I expect. At any rate it was me that raised the forum question
about cat suffrage. (100 votes per cat won with about 40% of the
vote.)

Warwick Michael Dumas

Jan 6, 2003, 1:48:03 PM1/6/03
Matthew Hall <mar...@backwards.vcs.kciwraw.ca.ku> wrote in message news:<marwab-F53AC5....@news.csv.warwick.ac.uk>...
> In article <220ab945.03010...@posting.google.com>,
> warwic...@tiscali.co.uk (Warwick Michael Dumas) wrote:
>
> > > Change it if most people want to, but it just doesn't seem worth the
> > > bother.
> > >
> > > Matthew Hall - marwab at csv dot warwick dot ac dot uk
> >
> > I tried to get this to work the other night but it's really weird - I
> > went to #warwick and there was no one there except some bitch called
> > "Hazel". I told her to fuck off.
>
> I suspect you were on the wrong network.
>
> Is the Dumas on nationstates you? (Yes or no.)

Oh, now I see the one you mean. No, that's an evil impostor. It just
happens to have the same motto.

Matt Kimber

Jan 6, 2003, 2:01:08 PM1/6/03
Rumour has it that on Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:45:11 +0000, Michael S. Glees
said:

>> That's
>> http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/page=display_region/region=warwickuni
>> for the rest of you. This has spread from uwarwick.frolics to
>> #warwick. Feel free to pile on in.
>
> What exactly is that?
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

/---------------------------------------------------------------\
| O Alert _ D X |
| |
| / \ The operation timed out when attempting to connect |
| / ! \ www.nationstates.net. |
| /_____\ |
| ------ |
| | OK | |
| ------ |
\---------------------------------------------------------------/

(It's a game. Of sorts)

Regards,
Matt
--

"We like keeping all our bad guys in one place for simplified management."
-- Sluggy Freelance

|=- Contact Info: http://www.mattkimber.org.uk/contact -=|

Matthew Hall

Jan 6, 2003, 2:42:52 PM1/6/03
In article <220ab945.03010...@posting.google.com>,
warwic...@tiscali.co.uk (Warwick Michael Dumas) wrote:

> Matthew Hall <mar...@backwards.vcs.kciwraw.ca.ku> wrote in message

> > > I tried to get this to work the other night but it's really weird - I
> > > went to #warwick and there was no one there except some bitch called
> > > "Hazel". I told her to fuck off.
> >
> > I suspect you were on the wrong network.
> >
> > Is the Dumas on nationstates you? (Yes or no.)
>
> Oh, now I see the one you mean. No, that's an evil impostor. It just
> happens to have the same motto.

What is your nation called?

I bloody wish they'd change to a better server.

RjY

Jan 6, 2003, 5:21:27 PM1/6/03
Matt Kimber typed...

> | / \ The operation timed out when attempting to connect |
> | / ! \ www.nationstates.net. |
> | /_____\ |

05/01 22:59 - 05/01 23:01
<Peter> RjY: do you have a nation state? I'd be interested to see how it
turned out :-)
<RjY> no i don't have one
<RjY> the site's too annoyingly slow
<Matt> Oooh! I've got broadband! Slow sites aren't good enough for me
now! :-p
<RjY> no

I see your :-p and raise you a >:-P

Matthew Hall

Jan 6, 2003, 7:02:33 PM1/6/03
In article <avcrhj$640$1...@wisteria.csv.warwick.ac.uk>,
Dave Taylor <ph...@csv.warwick.ac.ek.ik.ok.uk> wrote:

> >> Oh, now I see the one you mean. No, that's an evil impostor. It just
> >> happens to have the same motto.
> > What is your nation called?
> > I bloody wish they'd change to a better server.
>

> Site Temporarily Down

<snip>

That would be odd, since it's working fine now. No faster though.

Simon Heywood

Jan 7, 2003, 2:44:13 PM1/7/03
On 6 Jan 2003, Warwick Michael Dumas wrote:
> Matthew Hall <mar...@backwards.vcs.kciwraw.ca.ku> wrote:
> > I suspect you were on the wrong network.
> All right then. Is anyone going to tell me how to gizmo this widget,
> or whatever?

http://www.triv.org.uk/alt.alumni.warwick/irc.html

--
Simon Heywood
http://www.simonheywood.org.uk/

Warwick Michael Dumas

Jan 8, 2003, 2:12:59 PM1/8/03
Simon Heywood <si...@triv.org.uk> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.40.03010...@maxwell.triv.org.uk>...

> On 6 Jan 2003, Warwick Michael Dumas wrote:
> > Matthew Hall <mar...@backwards.vcs.kciwraw.ca.ku> wrote:
> > > I suspect you were on the wrong network.
> > All right then. Is anyone going to tell me how to gizmo this widget,
> > or whatever?
>
> http://www.triv.org.uk/alt.alumni.warwick/irc.html

Co-ol.

Devin.

Jan 8, 2003, 2:37:57 PM1/8/03
In article <220ab945.03010...@posting.google.com>,

What's Co-ol?

RjY

Jan 8, 2003, 3:44:54 PM1/8/03
Devin. typed...

Server co-lo facility TO THE EXTREME DUDE with sunglasses on