Teachers of the past

Eugene Holman

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
Schools are characterized by dynamic equilibrium: students come and go,
but the teaching staff stays on, maturing like fine wine.

When I attended Science between 1958 and 1962 I had several noteworthy
teachers about whose careers as well as previous and subsequent fates I
would enjoy hearing about. I'm sure that more recent graduates also have
their stories to tell.

ALEXANDER TAFFEL ('The TAff'). A jovial, handsome man in his mid 40's,
'The Taff' was the new principal of Bronx Science, having inherited the
position from school founder Dr. Morris Meister in 1958. The author of a
popular physics book (which at the time was not used at Bronx Science!),
he was proud to be the captain of a 'special high school'. I witnessed a
profound and possibly irreversible change in his pride and complacency
when, during an Arista induction assembly attended by the presidents of
the Arista organizations at neighboring DeWitt Clinton and Evamder Childs
High Schools, as well as the chairman of the NYC Board of Education, we
conspired to sing 'Oh Baby' on the transitiona noted between the verses
and chorus of the school song. I will never forget his red face, or the
dressing down he gave us the next day, when he took away from us the
'privilege' of having a school song.

JOSEPH COTTER. A Falstaffian, anything but handsome man who was '39' in
1958. He would liven up his classes by climbing up onto desks and beating
his chest like Tarzan. He would be extremely gracious - to the point of
being solicitous - of students who showed the appropriate interest in
literature and language, but gruff and impatient towards the more nerdy
types among us. He introduced me Greek literature during my freshman year
and I, in turn, introduced him to some of the problems of rendering Ibsen
properly in English during my junior year. In many ways Mr. Cotter
provided me with just the proper mixture of goading, humor, and
irreverenece to follow the career choices I have chosen.

ELDON KARPF (the king of room 301). A journalist-type fast talking social
studies teacher. I only had him once, during my freshman year, but I
interacted with him throughout my four years at Science as a regular
attender of the Thursday afternoon Forum. He had an uncanny ability to
show the relationships seemingly unrelated news items, And really taught
me how to understand curent events. One of my classmates, Clyde Haberman
of the New York Times, was strongly influenced by Mr. Karpf. I would say
that he was the best treacher I had at Science, and, indeed, one of the
best I have had in my life.

DR. ISABEL GORDON. She was never my teacher sensu stricto, but during my
freshman year she ran the *integrated program*, an elephantine curriculum
according to which we were supposed to, let's say, study about the affect
of disease on mankind in Social Studies, learn about the exponential
reproduction of bacteria in mathematics, read 'Microbe Hunters' and
'Arrowsmith' in English class, grow bacteria cultures in Gneeral Science,
and learn the words and phrases pertainig to various diseases and
afflictions in Foreign Language. It nvere qite worked, but it was a great
idea.

Other teachers that I remember fondly are Dr. VICTOR BADEN (Biology), Mr.
LANDAU (Physics), Mr. KLEINSINGER (Chemistry), Mr. IRVING NOVER (German),
Mrs. ROSA KARLIN (German and Russian), Dr COHEN (Mathematics), Dr. DODES
(Mathematics), Mr. C. J. SMITH (Foreign languages <All of them>), Mr.
SELINGER (Social Studies), Mr. BOBROWSKY (Biology), the brothers GLICKSMAN
(English and Mathematics, Mr. WERBLOW (Chemistry and Yiddish Club), Mrs
APPELBAUM (English), Mr. RENSON and Mrs. LAWNER (music), Mr. BECKENSTEIN
(Phys. Ed.). Mr. MEISEL (Phys. Ed.), and, of course, Dr. ('Bargain
Bennie') SILVER.

Teachers about whom I have less than fond memories include Mrs. GUSSIE
BERSON (English), Mr KAYE (Physics), and Mr. WALSH (Chemistry). I've
heard that Mr. Walsh is the only one from the 1960s who is still teaching
at Science. I never had him, but tried to be supportive to the many of my
friends who did...

If any fellow alumni could fill me in on what happened to these teachers
and, of course, tell us about the teachers who have been prominent or
controversial during more recent years, they would be doing a great
service to this group.

Regards,
Eugene Holman '62

Kisander

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96

In article <holman-1102...@eng18.pc.helsinki.fi>,
<hol...@katk.helsinki.fi> writes:
> From: hol...@katk.helsinki.fi (Eugene Holman)
> Newsgroups: alt.alumni.bronx-science
> Subject: Teachers of the past
> Date: 11 Feb 1996 11:49:38 GMT
> Hi! Berlissa Abel, nee Rivera, Class of '83 here. The most
significant item I've got about a teacher from Science was the
article in Reader's Digest saying that one of the
Physics(?)teachers was a pedophile and the President of the Manboy
Love Association, or whatever it's called. It was quite a
sensation, and needless to say, he was not teacher for very much
longer after that came out. I can't remember his name right now
and my yearbook is stashed away, but other people out there must
know about it. I remember being incredibly shocked that a teacher
from our beloved school could be that way. Not that there weren't
plenty of strange people teaching there. Mr. Wernick was a classic
example. I don't believe I've ever met a more disgusting human
being. Fortunately, there were so many good teachers to offset the
bad. I also never had Mr. Walsh, but sympathized with those who
did.

Jack Gostl

Feb 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/17/96
Eugene Holman (hol...@katk.helsinki.fi) wrote:

: Teachers about whom I have less than fond memories include Mrs. GUSSIE

: BERSON (English), Mr KAYE (Physics), and Mr. WALSH (Chemistry). I've
: heard that Mr. Walsh is the only one from the 1960s who is still teaching
: at Science. I never had him, but tried to be supportive to the many of my
: friends who did...

: If any fellow alumni could fill me in on what happened to these teachers
: and, of course, tell us about the teachers who have been prominent or
: controversial during more recent years, they would be doing a great
: service to this group.

Would you settle for hearing what I HOPE happened to Gussie Berson? In all
my years in school, there were only two teachers I truly, deeply hated,
largely for their joy in psychologically torturing students, and Gussie
Berson was one of them.
--
-------------

WPGP home page: http://www.panix.com/~jgostl/wpgp/

Jay Lapidus

Feb 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/18/96
POSTED TO AAB-S.

In article <NEWTNews.10500.8...@Kisande.ibm.net>,
Kisander <Kis...@ibm.net> wrote:
>[snip] Not that there weren't

>plenty of strange people teaching there. Mr. Wernick was a classic
>example. I don't believe I've ever met a more disgusting human

>being. [snip]

Whoa! Just because Mr. Wernick had a style that others choose to ridicule,
it does not make him "a disgusting human being."

Jay Lapidus '71
************************
*"Nonsense is nonsense,*
* but the history of *
* nonsense is a very *
* important science." *
* - R' Saul Lieberman *
************************

Michael [DHC] Winston

Feb 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/19/96
<Kis...@ibm.net> wrote:

> > Hi! Berlissa Abel, nee Rivera, Class of '83 here. The most
> significant item I've got about a teacher from Science was the
> article in Reader's Digest saying that one of the
> Physics(?)teachers was a pedophile and the President of the Manboy
> Love Association, or whatever it's called. It was quite a
> sensation, and needless to say, he was not teacher for very much
> longer after that came out. I can't remember his name right now
> and my yearbook is stashed away, but other people out there must
> know about it.

Ah, yes. Peter Melzer. He was my physics teacher my freshman year
(88-89). I remember that Time magazine called him "artless and dumpy." I
always thought that was the perfect description.
Everyone thought he was a little odd, but only because he was so socially inept.

Michael

--
Michael Winston *By phone!: (503)/652/8815
Internet Coordinator *By e-mail!: d...@teleport.com

Eugene Holman

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article <dhc-190296...@ip-pdx06-33.teleport.com>,

d...@teleport.com (Michael [DHC] Winston) wrote:

> Ah, yes. Peter Melzer. He was my physics teacher my freshman year
> (88-89).

Gee. Physics was typically a seniors' subject when I attended Science,
although juniors could apply for it if they wanted to. I bit the bullet
and wound up in an experimental MIT physics course, taught by the
incongruous pair of Mr. Hellman and Mr. ('Bugsy') Heitner. It was not easy
(neither of these guys were were particularly good teachers and the book
was often obscure), and I sometimes regreeted the decision. Still, I came
through it all right, and was able to enjoy a much more provocative and
clearly taught course in advanced physics taught by Mr. Landau, one of the
better teachers I had at Science (even if he usually looked like he had
just been sucking a lemon).

So, what's the story with freshman physics? Has it been simplified, are
students so much cleverer, or has had been broken down into a multi-year
sequence?

Regards,
Eugene Holman 62'

David Chesler

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
Sigh, this belongs in a FAQ.

Kisander <Kis...@ibm.net> wrote:

>> Hi! Berlissa Abel, nee Rivera, Class of '83 here. The most
>significant item I've got about a teacher from Science was the
>article in Reader's Digest saying that one of the
>Physics(?)teachers was a pedophile and the President of the Manboy
>Love Association, or whatever it's called. It was quite a
>sensation, and needless to say, he was not teacher for very much
>longer after that came out. I can't remember his name right now
>and my yearbook is stashed away, but other people out there must
>know about it.

That was Peter Melzer, from the Physics Department. And it's
the North American Man-Boy Love Association (NAMBLA.)
Mr. Melzer was my homeroom teacher freshman and sophomore years.
(Junior year, 77-78, he did a foreign-exchange with a Mr. Wexford,
from the UK.)
As would be expected, there was no hint of Mr. Melzer's sexual
tastes whatsoever while he was teaching. (He was of the "nerd" school
of teacher, as portrayed by actor and columnist Ben Stein, as opposed
to the "cool" teacher. I can think of a "cool" teacher in the Physics
department who did make his sexual orientation known, but since it was
heterosexual, that was OK :-S.)
NAMBLA gets a worse rap than it deserves. For instance, there was a smear
campaign linking it, on provably false evidence, to the disappearance of
Adam Egan in the 70s.
It's not about child molestation; it holds the belief that there can be
mutually beneficial, non-harmful, sexual relations between men and boys.
Dangerous grounds, for sure, given the usual power imbalance.

>I remember being incredibly shocked that a teacher
>from our beloved school could be that way.

What way?

> Not that there weren't
>plenty of strange people teaching there. Mr. Wernick was a classic
>example. I don't believe I've ever met a more disgusting human
>being.

I found him to have some annoying mannerisms. I someone whom he had
it in for, whom he called out of class on a false accusation of stealing,
who was very close to dropping out over the incident. Apparently, beneath
the surface annoyingness, there lies a total asshole.

- David Chesler '79
--
David Chesler (che...@tiac.net - CURRENT che...@world.std.com - SOMETIMES
david....@itcambridge.com - WORK da...@chesler.absol.com - ALWAYS)

David Chesler

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
In article <holman-2002...@eng18.pc.helsinki.fi>,

Eugene Holman <hol...@katk.helsinki.fi> wrote:
>Gee. Physics was typically a seniors' subject when I attended Science,

When I was at Science (75-79) the major sciences went in a fairly
random order. Some freshmen were allowed to take a major science, others
were placed in general science. By 78-82, all freshman had to take general
science.
(There were similar rules made and broken for math: in 77 no juniors were
allowed to take calculus; then around 85 they had some kid who was ready
his freshman year and they made an exception to the rule.)
Mr. Gordon taught a sophomore double-honors physics class around that
time period.
There were APs in all three sciences, and some special courses, such
as Organic Chemistry. (Which was about 60% of a strong University Orgo
course its first year, when Mr. Gelman taught it, but then some other teacher
got it, and it got a reputation as a gut. I think it wasn't offered much
after that.) The existence of these APs means there were kids who had
taken all three (or at least any two) or the major sciences by their
junior year.

Peter Shenkin

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
>In article <dhc-190296...@ip-pdx06-33.teleport.com>,
>d...@teleport.com (Michael [DHC] Winston) wrote:
>> Ah, yes. Peter Melzer. He was my physics teacher my freshman year
>> (88-89).
>
>Gee. Physics was typically a seniors' subject when I attended Science....

Hmmm.... I graduated in '63, just a year after you, and my recollection
is that you had to take biology, chemistry and physics, but that you
could do so in pretty much any order. I have to say that I thought
physics was the least well taught of these classes; that might or might
not have been because of the teacher I drew (Mr. Werblow).

I had Mr. Kotkin for biology; he was very funny: before every demo, he
used to say "Watch carefully, I can do this only once," and it seemed like
most of the time whatever was supposed to happen didn't.

I had Mr. Finkelstein for chemistry (intro & A.P.). He had been a catcher
on his college baseball team, and had deadly aim with an eraser. If
a few kids were talking in the back row, he'd toss an eraser in a
high lob and score a direct hit every time. He could do this without
altering the tempo of his presentation, so if you were talking to your
friend and not watching, there would be no audible cue that the
missle was in the air. I did become a chemist, so he must have been
a good teacher. :-)

>...Mr. Landau, one of the
>better teachers I had at Science ...

I never had Mr. Landau, but his son, Rob, is one of my good friends.
Rob went to the University of Rochester, graduated in 1965, and
then got a Ph.D. in astronomy or astrophysics from Berkeley. He's
now living in Australia. Mr. Landau is still alive, living in
Yonkers.

By the way, I think I did have Mrs. Berson for English one year, and
certainly didn't find her as bad as others here have suggested. I
had Mr. Shapiro one year for both English and home room, and thought
he was great. He had a wonderful speaking voice and could declaim
Shakespeare convincingly. Then, senior year, I had Mrs. Applebaum, who
was very sweet and a good teacher. In a lot of ways, though, I think
I was too young to get the most out of Science. (I had just turned
16 when I graduated.) Then again, as Shaw commented, youth is
(always) wasted on those too young to appreciated it.

-P.

--
**************** In Memorium, Chubby Wise, 1916-1996, RIP ******************
*** Peter S. Shenkin, Box 768 Havemeyer Hall, Chemistry, Columbia Univ., ***

Eugene Holman

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <4gdd5c$4...@sol.ctr.columbia.edu>,
she...@still3.chem.columbia.edu (Peter Shenkin) wrote:
atk.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> Then, senior year, I had Mrs. Applebaum, who
> was very sweet and a good teacher. In a lot of ways, though, I think
> I was too young to get the most out of Science. (I had just turned
> 16 when I graduated.) Then again, as Shaw commented, youth is
> (always) wasted on those too young to appreciated it.

Yes, Mrs. Appelbaum was my senior year English teacher as well. Although I
agree with your assessment of her as 'sweet and a good teacher', what I
remember best about her is her unppretentious elegance. She was probably
sixty years old, but unlike most of the other teachers at Science, she had
an undefinable 'class': she was well dressed, spoke in a carefully
modulated, well enunciated non-New York type of English, and never seemed
to lose her patience.

Regards,
Eugene Holman '62

Katherine Rossner

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
David Chesler (che...@tiac.net) wrote:

: Mr. Melzer was my homeroom teacher freshman and sophomore years.

: (Junior year, 77-78, he did a foreign-exchange with a Mr. Wexford,
: from the UK.)

Mr. Welford, not Wexford. Very much from the UK--I had to interpret for
him occasionally.

: It's not about child molestation; it holds the belief that there can be

: mutually beneficial, non-harmful, sexual relations between men and boys.

Sexual relations between men and boys *are* child molestation under the
laws of most if not all states; it's more than a little silly to say that
NAMBLA "is not about child molestation". And those who are knowledgeable
about child abuse would say that "mutually beneficial, non-harmful sexual
relations" of this sort are non-existent, so the distinction isn't really.

(And, as I've said before, none of this should be construed to say that
heterosexual teachers who hold the same basic view of sexual relationships
with children/students, and especially who act on those, are any less
reprehensible.)

Katherine
--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge |
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho | J.Katherine Rossner

David Fiedler

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <4gd7ms$c...@sundog.tiac.net>, che...@tiac.net (David Chesler) wrote:

> NAMBLA gets a worse rap than it deserves. For instance, there was a smear
>campaign linking it, on provably false evidence, to the disappearance of
>Adam Egan in the 70s.

> It's not about child molestation; it holds the belief that there can be
>mutually beneficial, non-harmful, sexual relations between men and boys.

That is virtually a prima facie definitiion of child molestation.

--
David Fiedler, InfoBahn Warrior
Editor-in-Chief, Web Developer Magazine

Abenr

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
In article <holman-2102...@eng18.pc.helsinki.fi>,
hol...@katk.helsinki.fi (Eugene Holman) writes:

I recall a *young* Mrs Applebaum, who was not yet married when she first
taught me, but married when I became a senior. If my memories are
correct, very doubtful these days, can anyone come up with her maiden
name?

Aben Rudy, '53

David Chesler

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
Peter Shenkin <she...@still3.chem.columbia.edu> wrote:
>Hmmm.... I graduated in '63

>I had Mr. Kotkin for biology...

>I had Mr. Finkelstein for chemistry (intro & A.P.)...

Just demonstrating the longevity of tenure at Bronx Science, I had these
two as well, class of '79, sixteen years later.

Good, long-lasting teachers are what really make a school.

Ellis Golub

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In article <4gdd5c$4...@sol.ctr.columbia.edu>, she...@still3.chem.columbia.edu (Peter Shenkin) writes:

|> I had Mr. Finkelstein for chemistry (intro & A.P.). He had been a catcher
|> on his college baseball team, and had deadly aim with an eraser. If
|> a few kids were talking in the back row, he'd toss an eraser in a
|> high lob and score a direct hit every time. He could do this without
|> altering the tempo of his presentation, so if you were talking to your
|> friend and not watching, there would be no audible cue that the
|> missle was in the air. I did become a chemist, so he must have been
|> a good teacher. :-)

I also had general chemistry with Mr. Finkelstein, and then took qualitative analysis with
Dr. Harwell. Both were excellent teachers. Mr. Finkelstein made chemistry interesting,
challenging and fun. I wanted more. Dr. Harwell taught sound fundemental analytical
chemistry, with a firm grounding in thermodynamics and kinetics which I relied on through
college, graduate school and on into real life. He taught us scientific values as well as
science, and he began the process of getting us to think like professionals. These two
teachers stand out in my memory, although my teacher experiences were generally good.

The other teacher who stands out in my memory was that epitome of english teachers, "Jolly" Molly Epstein.
After a year of torturing me as a sophomore, she sentenced me to a second year with her in remedial english
class junior year. I hated almost every minute of both years, and, as you can well imagine, my feelings
for her were not warm. As I write this, I quake for fear that she will be grading the grammar and
usage. Considering that I now spend much more time at the keyboard than at the bench, that torture
was as important to my education as it was unpleasant. She got me through, gave me enough skills for
successful scientific writing, and with frequent use of SpellCheck, I have survived in a world where
how a grant is written may have more to do with its chances of funding than the underlying science.

What I remember of Science was challenging teachers, a demanding curriculum and competitive classmates
who kept me under enough pressure that I actually learned a few things.

Ellis Golub '59

Ellis Golub Phone: (215) 898-4629
Biochemistry Department FAX: (215) 898-3695
University of Pennsylvania el...@biochem.dental.upenn.edu
School of Dental Medicine
4001 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6003

Ben Klausner

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
In article <4g5a41$2...@panix.com>, Jack Gostl <jgo...@panix.com> wrote:

>Would you settle for hearing what I HOPE happened to Gussie Berson? In all
>my years in school, there were only two teachers I truly, deeply hated,
>largely for their joy in psychologically torturing students, and Gussie
>Berson was one of them.

I'd add Florence (?) Dragnet to that list!

Ben Klausner, N5DJL | Klein Bottle for sale.
klau...@netcom.com | Inquire within.
Austin, TX |

David Chesler

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
I wrote about NAMBLA:

>> It's not about child molestation; it holds the belief that there can be
>>mutually beneficial, non-harmful, sexual relations between men and boys.
>
>That is virtually a prima facie definitiion of child molestation.

Setting aside the squickiness that it's homosexual, are you saying there
is no difference between a man in his twenties or thirties encouraging
a crush from a fourteen-year-old girl, dating her, and having mutually
agreeable sexual relations with her, and on the other hand the same
man having sexual relations with a four-year-old?

I'm not saying the first isn't going to be bad news most of the time,
and that it's not the kid who's going to end up the worst for it (it's
a bad deal -- people thinking with their genitalia are not looking out
for the interests of others whom they can take advantage of), but to
lump that in with the other kind, which is physically damaging rape,
pure and simple, is to belittle the term.

Christine O'Brien

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96

: I wrote about NAMBLA:
: >> It's not about child molestation; it holds the belief that there can be
: >>mutually beneficial, non-harmful, sexual relations between men and boys.

Little boys are innocent, as are little girls. There is no way that you
or anybody else can justify taking away their childhood.

: >That is virtually a prima facie definitiion of child molestation.

I agree.

-Christine

Mrothberg

Feb 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/25/96
DITTO!
Michael

Abenr

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
In article <4gpvqu$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, mrot...@aol.com
(Mrothberg) writes:

>DITTO!
>Michael

No disrespect intended, but curiousity drives me to ask what's being
"dittoed."

Mrothberg

Feb 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/26/96
Abenr writes:
>No disrespect intended, but curiousity drives me to ask what's being
"dittoed."<

The "ditto" was to affirm another's position on "man-boy" child
molestation. Unfortunately I neglected to cut and paste the reference.
Sorry. ;)
Michael

Matt and Miriam Moore

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
klau...@netcom.com (Ben Klausner) wrote:

>In article <4g5a41$2...@panix.com>, Jack Gostl <jgo...@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>Would you settle for hearing what I HOPE happened to Gussie Berson? In all
>>my years in school, there were only two teachers I truly, deeply hated,
>>largely for their joy in psychologically torturing students, and Gussie
>>Berson was one of them.

> I'd add Florence (?) Dragnet to that list!

Was Gussie Berson a chemistry teacher? I was doing OK until I took
chemistry. At some point I said, "No an electron CAN'T be both a
particle and a wave." and stopped paying attention. Started taking
drugs. Went to an "alternative high school" for my last year. All
because of her!
(Well, maybe not...) The funny thing was, after enough drugs I was
able to visualize that particle-wave thing just fine!
Does anybody remember Ms. Economou? She was a Spanish teacher there in
the mid-seventies.
Matt

Jack Gostl

Feb 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/28/96
Matt and Miriam Moore (ma...@hooked.net) wrote:
: klau...@netcom.com (Ben Klausner) wrote:

: >In article <4g5a41$2...@panix.com>, Jack Gostl <jgo...@panix.com> wrote:
: >>
: >>Would you settle for hearing what I HOPE happened to Gussie Berson? In all
: >>my years in school, there were only two teachers I truly, deeply hated,
: >>largely for their joy in psychologically torturing students, and Gussie
: >>Berson was one of them.

: > I'd add Florence (?) Dragnet to that list!
: Was Gussie Berson a chemistry teacher? I was doing OK until I took

Nope. She taught English, but (IMO) she wasn't much of an English teacher
either.

Lpinck

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
Two teachers that I remember clearly were Mrs. Dichter,
a math teacher and Mr. Cherry a Chemistry teacher. They were the two
people who most influenced me as a student. I went on to major in
Chemistry at CCNy and I now teach math in high school. I know Mrs.
Dichter died at an early age. Oh yes- Mr. Ruderman was also a Math
teacher who I remember well.

Linda Stier Pinck '57

Allan Adler

Mar 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/3/96
In article <4hadpg$o...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> lpi...@aol.com (Lpinck) writes:

> Oh yes- Mr. Ruderman was also a Math teacher who I remember well.

When I was at Science in 1961-64, Mrs.Ruderman was one of the
math teachers. She was also in charge of the math team,
which was how I knew her. It was one of the most stimulating
experiences I had at Science. There was no Mr.Ruderman on the
faculty at the time, but I believe he was teaching college.

Allan Adler
ad...@msri.org

Warren Goldfarb

Mar 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/8/96
In article <ADLER.96M...@alex.msri.org>,

Allan Adler <ad...@alex.msri.org> wrote:

>When I was at Science in 1961-64, Mrs.Ruderman was one of the
>math teachers. She was also in charge of the math team,
>which was how I knew her. It was one of the most stimulating
>experiences I had at Science.

I agree! Mrs. Ruderman was still math team coach in '64-65,
and was extremely good at understanding how much talent she
had in that room, and how much to tell them things, and how
much to get them to do things for themselves. She emphasized
the latter, and so I second the adjective "stimulating";
it's not so much that I learned *from* her (unlike how I'd
characterize Dr. Dodes' contribution to my education), but
she provided an experience more like a symposium than anything
else I experienced before a rather late stage in my university
education.

While I'm at it, I should mention Ruth Radvany (or so I recall),
who was the coach of the Junior Math Team in '63-64. She left
BHSS at the end of that year, and I don't know how long she had
been there before, but she was also a very gifted teacher,
intuitively understanding that she had a bunch of kids who had
to be launched into the idea that they might be able to think
for themselves in mathematics.

I hope there are others in this neewsgroup who can remember
a bit more about these teachers, and about mathematics instruction
at BHSS back then.

All best wishes,
Warren Goldfarb, '65

Harvard University
Dept. of Philosophy

SLZ

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
On Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:45:30 GMT, ma...@hooked.net (Matt and Miriam
Moore) wrote:

>klau...@netcom.com (Ben Klausner) wrote:

<snip>

> Does anybody remember Ms. Economou? She was a Spanish teacher there in
>the mid-seventies.
>Matt

If I remember correctly, Ms. Economou had a twin sister. I believe
one of them died young (during the eighties).
Seth Zolot '79
Seth Zolot

greta...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2018, 10:15:14 AM1/26/18

I, too, had Mr Finkelstein for Chemistry. I started out the school year very enthusiastic about Chemistry and was awarded the prize of helping him grade test papers. While doing this, he slipped his hand around my back and touched my breast. I pulled away but never reported this to anyone. It wasn't something one did in those days. I never went back to being his "assistant". It turned me off to Chemistry and I barely passed the class. Luckily now that sort of behavior would be reported and condemned. I wonder how many others were affected in this way by him?

Peter Millheiser

Sep 6, 2023, 2:43:15 PM9/6/23
On Wednesday, February 21, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Abenr wrote:
> In article <holman-2102...@eng18.pc.helsinki.fi>,
> hol...@katk.helsinki.fi (Eugene Holman) writes:
> >In article <4gdd5c$4...@sol.ctr.columbia.edu>,

Peter Millheiser

Sep 6, 2023, 2:47:06 PM9/6/23
Her maiden name was Frank. I had her for a semester. She had previously struck me as being very tense. After the summer vacation, she announced that her name was Mrs. Applebaum and she was much more relaxed and happy.
Peter Millheiser, 53’