qnx

Nathan Strutz

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
the only thing I cannot do with the QNX operating system is play unreal.

I can do everything else with it.

check email
read alt5
surf the web

what else matters?

i tell you what.
http://www.qnx.com/iat/createdemo.html

all you really need.

-nate

DurtFTP

Jul 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/26/98
>the only thing I cannot do with the QNX operating system is play unreal.

no mp3's? fuck qnx. sorry.

"smoker
smokey
smokleless...

sorry"
-skinny puppy
durtros' void
http://members.aol.com/durtro/endtimes.htm

Demi Monde

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Nathan Strutz wrote:

> the only thing I cannot do with the QNX operating system is play unreal.
>

> I can do everything else with it.
>
> check email
> read alt5
> surf the web
>
> what else matters?

Photoshop.

Which is the main reason I can't go for those other funky OSes like BeOS
or NeXT.

--
|+::::::: demi monde: mo...@sirius.com ::::::::+|
|+:::: the eye of chaos universal messboard ::::+|

Nathan Strutz

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
>Photoshop.

Hah! I was just telling a friend that.

we think alike.

>Which is the main reason I can't go for those other funky OSes like BeOS
>or NeXT.

Hmmm. Linux has the GIMP. Didn't someone port Photoshop to Be?
NeXT is good but will it run on your mac? I thought it was intel hardware
only. dunno. apple probably ported it after they bought 'em.

and rhapsody is now MacOS Server, isn't it?
My advice: screw the word server. Get it. It's a billion times better than
the MacOS.

multitasking says it all for me.

-nathan strutz
http://mrnate.slather.com/

Demi Monde

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Nathan Strutz wrote:

> and rhapsody is now MacOS Server, isn't it?
> My advice: screw the word server. Get it. It's a billion times better than
> the MacOS.

I haven't heard anything about the word "server". I'd get it, but for
one really fucked up problem: it won't run on Vox. Can you believe
this? I just get this power mac, and now they're already obsoleting it.

It's enough to make me want to eat computer chips and scream.

--
demi monde: mo...@sirius.com
defenestration: http://www.sirius.com/~monde

JayDee

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:20:24 -0800, mo...@sirius.com (Demi Monde)
wrote:

>Nathan Strutz wrote:

>> and rhapsody is now MacOS Server, isn't it?
>> My advice: screw the word server. Get it. It's a billion times better than
>> the MacOS.

>I haven't heard anything about the word "server". I'd get it, but for
>one really fucked up problem: it won't run on Vox. Can you believe
>this? I just get this power mac, and now they're already obsoleting it.

>It's enough to make me want to eat computer chips and scream.

you'll be screaming because they rip yer gutz...

...plenty of that, already, without compounding it

MAILTO:jayd...@geocities.com
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/3169

Deekoo L.

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
NS> NeXT is good but will it run on your mac? I thought it was intel hardware
NS> only.

The cool-looking black slabs are based on Motorola 680x0 CPUs; I don't know
anything about the surrounding architecture, but it might be possible to port
NextStep to the 680x0 Macintosh architecture without major alterations.

NS> dunno. apple probably ported it after they bought 'em.

Rhapsody is the port to the Motorola RISC-based Macintoshes.

NS> and rhapsody is now MacOS Server, isn't it?
NS> My advice: screw the word server. Get it. It's a billion times better than
NS> the MacOS.

Note that we aren't rolling in dough, and I don't think the final release of
Rhapsody is out yet. (Final in more senses than one, since they're dropping
all development to go after a whole new remap of the MacOS kernel.)

NS> multitasking says it all for me.

I think 6.8 w/MultiFinder multitasked, and I know everything past 7.0 did.
Although preemptive tasking is still better...

--
This is a test of the emergency signature system. Had this been an
actual signature, the delimiter you just saw would have been followed

^m^o^n^d^e^

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
Deekoo L. wrote:

> NS> NeXT is good but will it run on your mac? I thought it was intel hardware
> NS> only.
>
> The cool-looking black slabs are based on Motorola 680x0 CPUs; I don't know
> anything about the surrounding architecture, but it might be possible to port
> NextStep to the 680x0 Macintosh architecture without major alterations.

But Vox isn't one of those...

> I think 6.8 w/MultiFinder multitasked, and I know everything past 7.0 did.
> Although preemptive tasking is still better...

It doesn't seem to be any different to me...if it helps the machine to
not hang, though, it would be a plus.

--
demi monde: mo...@sirius.com
defenestration: http://www.sirius.com/~monde

messboard: http://chaos..transbay.net/~compound
If God dropped acid, would He see people?

Deekoo L.

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
DM> > and rhapsody is now MacOS Server, isn't it?
DM> > My advice: screw the word server. Get it. It's a billion times better tha
DM> > the MacOS.
DM>
DM> I haven't heard anything about the word "server". I'd get it, but for
DM> one really fucked up problem: it won't run on Vox. Can you believe
DM> this? I just get this power mac, and now they're already obsoleting it.
DM>
DM> It's enough to make me want to eat computer chips and scream.

I never heard anyone saying it took a 604+... Your thinking about one of the
possiblestatements about MacOS X, which has the dubious distinction of not
existing yet.

Deekoo L.

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
M> > I think 6.8 w/MultiFinder multitasked, and I know everything past 7.0 did.
M> > Although preemptive tasking is still better...
M>
M> It doesn't seem to be any different to me...if it helps the machine to
M> not hang, though, it would be a plus.

Preemptive tasking means, in a good implementation, that you don't have to
wait when switching foreground apps.

Not hanging is accomplished via protected memory, which isn't intrinsically
part of preemptive multitasking.

Deekoo L.

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
DM> > and rhapsody is now MacOS Server, isn't it?
DM> > My advice: screw the word server. Get it. It's a billion times better tha
DM> > the MacOS.
DM>
DM> I haven't heard anything about the word "server". I'd get it, but for
DM> one really fucked up problem: it won't run on Vox. Can you believe
DM> this? I just get this power mac, and now they're already obsoleting it.
DM>
DM> It's enough to make me want to eat computer chips and scream.

I never heard anyone saying it took a 604+... Your thinking about one of the
possiblestatements about MacOS X, which has the dubious distinction of not
existing yet.

Justin Goldberg

Aug 15, 2023, 12:38:48 PM8/15/23
On Sunday, July 26, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, DurtFTP wrote:
> >the only thing I cannot do with the QNX operating system is play unreal.
> no mp3's? fuck qnx. sorry.
> "smoker
> smokey
> smokleless...