Need help with wiring - John Deere 655

Chuck Jurgens

Aug 1, 2005, 8:26:29 PM8/1/05
I have a JD 655 compact tractor/mower with a 3 cyl diesel engine. The
starter went bad and I took it to a guy who fixes starters and alternators.
He removed it from the tractor, took it apart and determined that he
couldn't fix it.

I took it to another guy who fixed it. Now I need to re-install it on the
tractor. No problem - except for one thing. Since the first mechanic
removed it from the tractor, I didn't notice where all of the wires connect.
Actually, I know where they all go except ONE. There is the battery cable
and generator cable that connect to one side of the solenoid and the cable
from the ignition switch to the solenoid.

The remaining wire runs over to what appears to be a fuel shutoff. I THINK
it connects to the hot terminal on the solenoid but when I connect it, the
fuel shutoff engages - even when the ignition is off. Obviously, this would
drain the battery.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the purpose of this wire AND where it
connects?

Thanks.

Chuck

Brynk

Aug 2, 2005, 7:23:00 AM8/2/05
http://jdpc.deere.com
sign up and you can browse thru parts illustrations for all JD products

--
Barry

"Chuck Jurgens" <chuck....@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Duane Bozarth

Aug 2, 2005, 10:49:23 AM8/2/05

It's the fuel supply solenoid...on the 955 (which actually now I look
the service manual covers the 655 thru 955) it connects on a side
terminal on the starter...as I recall, it's on the back side where it's
a real pita to get to when the starter is mounted so you may not be able
to see it easily.

I assume this is the white?

Also, I've never seen a JD dealer that wouldn't answer such a question
or supply a copy of the wiring diagram simply for the
asking--particularly if one uses them for parts, etc., on a at least a
reasonably regular basis--it's a reason to give them your business.

Chuck Jurgens

Aug 2, 2005, 1:42:54 PM8/2/05
Thanks Duane. That's exactly where it goes!

Chuck

"Duane Bozarth" <dpbo...@swko.dot.net> wrote in message

Duane Bozarth

Aug 2, 2005, 2:01:40 PM8/2/05
Chuck Jurgens wrote:

> Thanks Duane. That's exactly where it goes!
>
> Chuck

Great...

The guys in the shop at JD <do> know who you are, though, right???? :)

Chuck Jurgens

Aug 2, 2005, 9:48:00 PM8/2/05
No, they don't. This is my first John Deere. I bought it recently on eBay.
It had a bad starter and JD wanted $400 for a new one.

"Duane Bozarth" <dpbo...@swko.dot.net> wrote in message

Duane Bozarth

Aug 3, 2005, 9:57:08 AM8/3/05
Chuck Jurgens wrote:

....[top posting repaired]...

> "Duane Bozarth" <dpbo...@swko.dot.net> wrote in message
> > Chuck Jurgens wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Duane. That's exactly where it goes!
> > >
> > > Chuck
> > >
> > Great...
> >
> > The guys in the shop at JD <do> know who you are, though, right???? :)

> No, they don't. This is my first John Deere. I bought it recently on eBay.
> It had a bad starter and JD wanted $400 for a new one.

Well, you'll find in the long run it pays to make their acquaintance
imo...

Man on the mountain

Aug 3, 2005, 3:49:52 PM8/3/05
Chuck,

Go to Google and type in John Deer and it will take you to their web site.
You can look up your tractor there and even the manual/s for tractors. They
also have a "help" site.

T fed

Aug 30, 2020, 4:00:05 PM8/30/20
Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/need-help-with-wiring-john-deere-655-18692-.htm

Dean Hoffman

Aug 30, 2020, 5:01:12 PM8/30/20
On 8/30/20 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
> Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Just so you didn't miss the obvious.
How do you know the battery is good?
Are the battery terminals clean?
Did you try to jump start the engine?
Is there any sound like a click from the starter solenoid?
Is there some sort of lockout that keeps the engine from turning over
i.e. transmission have to be in neutral or park , clutch have be
depressed before engine will crank?
What about the mower if it has one? Does it have to be raised while
starting or is there some sort of lever to keep it from running?
Is there a separate lever that engages the PTO?

"\"Re...@home.com

Aug 30, 2020, 5:11:33 PM8/30/20
On our John Deere L111, to start engine, you have to be sitting in the
seat, blades lever in off position, and brake depressed.

dpb

Aug 30, 2020, 5:19:28 PM8/30/20
On 8/30/2020 3:00 PM, T fed wrote:
> Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Best bet is it's bad ground -- 955 here turned out was bad replacement
cable connector that looked fine superficially but wasn't.

After that, the seat, PTO interlocks...

micky

Aug 31, 2020, 12:24:02 AM8/31/20
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 20:00:04 +0000, T fed
<72c319fefa0a293a...@example.com> wrote:

>Need help 655 will not turn over battery is good but nothing goes on

Get a voltmeter and follow the wires to the ignition key, every safety
switch, to the starter motor, and beyond. Then follow f rom the other
pole of the battery or from the ground.

Stop guessing what is wrong and figure it out properly.