Handgun crime up 440 per cent......

EndlsRayne

Apr 14, 2002, 7:07:16 PM4/14/02
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,4128008%255
E701,00.html

Fight against guns: Acting Commissioner Ken Moroney yesterday

Handguns declared public enemy No. 1
By chief writer NATHAN VASS
14apr02
NEW Acting Police Commissioner Ken Moroney yesterday vowed to rid NSW of
illegal handguns after another night of violence on Sydney's streets. One
teenager died and two men were wounded in separate shootings yesterday.
An 18-year-old was fatally wounded outside a Surry Hills karaoke bar, while two
men were shot outside a Mt Pritchard club.

An investigation by The Sunday Telegraph has found handgun crime rose by up to
440 per cent during the six-year reign of outgoing police commissioner Peter
Ryan.

Mr Moroney told The Sunday Telegraph police would make it a priority to stem
the flow of illegal guns into NSW.

"My number one priority is simple: get as many handguns off the streets as
possible," he said. "I will do whatever it takes to get every gun I can off the
streets."

When told of the handgun crime rise, Mr Moroney said: "That concerns me greatly
as a senior policeman, and as a father of two working police officers who are
being confronted with these weapons."

The recent ambush death of Constable Glenn McEnallay has sharpened police
resolve to wipe out the trade in illegal handguns.

Meanwhile, the Opposition yesterday increased pressure over Mr Ryan's $455,000
payout.

Opposition police spokesman Andrew Tink said legal advice showed there was no
entitlement under Mr Ryan's contract for any payment if the Commissioner
resigned.