Re: Sacramento County worst in state for children with lead poisoning, audit shows

Blue state blues

Nov 19, 2023, 4:35:03 PM11/19/23
On 19 Nov 2023, "Trump - Inmate Number P01135809"
<patr...@protonmail.com> posted some

> Democrats are the biggest hypocrits.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
A California state audit found Sacramento County tops the list for the
most kids with lead poisoning.

In total, 667 children under 6 years old had elevated lead levels, and the
three areas where more were reported are Arden-Arcade, Carmichael and
North Highlands.

Lead is a toxic metal that can be found in dirt, paint and dust. It can
cause serious health problems to kids, especially those under 6, including
behavioral issues, hearing loss and even death.

A parent's concern
When Morgan Brown bought her first home in Sacramento County, she never
thought about testing it for lead.

"Somebody had mentioned that it was in our best interest to check and see
if there was lead in the home. Especially because at the time I was
pregnant, and we have children in the home,” Brown said.

With a baby, a toddler and a teen at her home built in 1947, she decided
to apply to the county’s Lead Hazard Reduction Program, which offers free
lead risk assessment.

Brown said the dirt and paint around the home were tested. To her
surprise, lead was found in the dirt and kitchen.

What can you do if you think you might be exposed to lead?
As a response to prevent and reduce the harmful effects of lead poisoning,
Michael Taylor from the Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA)
said the organization is ?offering grant funds of up to $10,000 per unit
to assist with lead hazard remediation.

"So whether it is a homeowner or a tenant, the person living in the home
has to have a household income that doesn't exceed in the median area
income," Taylor said.

To qualify, the home must be in Sacramento County, and a child under 6
years old must be living in the home.

Those interested in applying still have until the end of 2024.

You can contact SHRA at 916-440-1317 or email lead...@shra.org.

https://www.kcra.com/article/pro-palestine-demonstrators-interrupt-
california-democratic-convention-in-sacramento/45882783