Face Slapping - Real or Faked?

beav...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

I've seen quite a few face slaps in movies that looked real. Is this
sometimes the case or are they always faked? Its seems like the real ones
occurred in cases where women slapped men. Is that also the case, since an
actress would stand a greater chance of getting injured? Are there any
special techniques to insure that the actor/actress does not get hurt? Are
sound effects typically used to get the slap sound?

DoveCrye

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Hi here~

Well...I just have to share this...!!!

My first face slap ever... It was 100% real!!!

I was the slapper ... was in a short piece where I was a jealous girlfriend who
slapped my date for his wanderlust.

At first, I was convinced I would have a "heart attack" and just couldn't do
it! Every rehearsal we had, I just struggled with this part of the scene.

The work put into this moment was pivotal and well worth it !!! Needless to
say, I accomplished the slap...
The actual nervous tension that built up to that moment was so extreme that it
brought down that little dinner playhouse.
The audience loved it.

Of course, I was stunned. It was a terrific learning experience that was well
worth every bit of tension invested! <g>

Cindy~
DoveCrye
http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Stage/6453

SaraLaLa79

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

>I've seen quite a few face slaps in movies that looked real. Is this
>sometimes the case or are they always faked? Its seems like the real ones
>occurred in cases where women slapped men. Is that also the case, since an
>actress would stand a greater chance of getting injured? Are there any
>special techniques to insure that the actor/actress does not get hurt?
Are
>sound effects typically used to get the slap sound?

When I was in a production of "Mysteries:Creation", I played Noah's grouchy
wife. There is a scene where Noah and his wife get in a huge argument and they
slap each other several times. Because the area where we were acting was in
the middle of the theater with audience members surrounding us on all sides,
there was no way the slapping could have been faked well. We really slapped
each other, and to lessen the blow of the slap, we would turn in the direction
of the slap and follow the blow through. This lessened the force used behind
it.
Slap boards can also be used to enhance the sound. These are two boards
hinged together and with a flick of the wrist, they produce a loud slap.
I think that, if done correctly, the slaps should always be real. During a
production at the Rep in St. Louis, which is a black box theater, there was a
scene involving two characters slapping each other. The slaps were so
obviously faked that the audience couldn't help laughing during what was
supposed to be the most intense and dramatic scene of the show.

Sara D. Stoltz
"Poor slob, he doesn't even have a name." - Breakfast At Tiffany's

AlexNY15

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

>I've seen quite a few face slaps in movies that looked real. Is this
>sometimes the case or are they always faked? Its seems like the real ones
>occurred in cases where women slapped men. Is that also the case, since an
>actress would stand a greater chance of getting injured? Are there any
>special techniques to insure that the actor/actress does not get hurt?
Are
>sound effects typically used to get the slap sound?

It's not going to hurt anyone. Getting slapped. The slappee relaxes their
face muscles. They take the slap. Little pain. Unless it's like every night
for several months, it shouldn't do any harm. The actors just have to relax,
and not slap a nose (nosebleed-causing) or anything. A cheek slap is a very
tingly thing.
Alex

Charles E Windley

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

The technique is really with th one being slapped. Move with the slap and
don't resist. Takes a bit of practice to make this look real. Also, the one
slapping hits (contacts) with the palm of the hand creating a bit of an air
pocket. it real life you would hit higher up with your fingers.

Bill

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98
to AlexNY15

Dear Alex,

What you describe is still, alas, practiced in some community theatre,
but not on the professional stage, or in SAG/AFTRA projects. Stage
combat is carefully and painstakingly practiced under the guidance of
trained professionals.

What you are recommending is irresponsible.... bad advice from someone
who cares more about proving he can "take it" like a man, than in
dealing with the long-term realities of doing a show, or working in a
film that requires moments of "staged" violence.

By all means, debate the issue, anf if you do, expect from yours truly
a series of posts (via yours truly) quoting actor experiences and
working philosophies from combat experts and stunt extras.

You will lose the argument.

Break a leg,
Bill
--
THE ACTING STUDIO
http://gvtg.com/theactingstudio

AlexNY15

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

>Dear Alex,
>
> What you describe is still, alas, practiced in some community theatre,
>but not on the professional stage, or in SAG/AFTRA projects. Stage
>combat is carefully and painstakingly practiced under the guidance of
>trained professionals.
>
> What you are recommending is irresponsible.... bad advice from someone
>who cares more about proving he can "take it" like a man, than in
>dealing with the long-term realities of doing a show, or working in a
>film that requires moments of "staged" violence.
>
> By all means, debate the issue, anf if you do, expect from yours truly
>a series of posts (via yours truly) quoting actor experiences and
>working philosophies from combat experts and stunt extras.
>
> You will lose the argument.
>
>Break a leg,
>Bill

Dear Bill,

I'm sure that insurance has problems with any physical risks. And
SAG/AFTRA/Equity also. I wasn't trying to prove I can "take it." It just
seems like good advice, in my opinion. I'm not a professional, and I have no
experience on the professional stage, or in SAG/AFTRA projects. I have taken
stage combat classes though, and loved it.
I was posting what I thought was the best advice, for the kind of show I would
most like to be in or see. I have no doubt that people have been hurt from
stage slaps, just as people have been hurt from everything. I have no wish to
argue about this; it was just some advice I thought -- when I work outside of
local theatre I'll remember your advice.
Thanks,
Alex

TheoryCons

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

>I think that, if done correctly, the slaps should always be real.

Sometimes, that just can't be done. For instance, I was in a production of The
Secret Garden as Mrs. Medlock, and I was required to slap Mary Lennox. For
those of you not familiar with the play, Mary Lennox is a ten year old girl,
thus played by a ten year old actor. So of course I was not directed to
actually slap her, and I don't think I could do it even if I was. I did a stage
slap where she was facing away from the audience and I was facing her, I
slapped my own hand very close to her face to create the affect of the slap and
the sound of the slap. It worked very well, and in the case of working with
young people, sometimes the fake way is the only way to go.
please call me trudy, it ryhmes with booty wich i shake all night long.

Ebthtr

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

>AlexNY15 wrote:
<snip>

Are there any
>> >special techniques to insure that the actor/actress does not get hurt?

<snip>

>> It's not going to hurt anyone. Getting slapped. The slappee relaxes their
>> face muscles. They take the slap. Little pain. Unless it's like every
>night
>> for several months, it shouldn't do any harm. The actors just have to
>relax,
>> and not slap a nose (nosebleed-causing) or anything. A cheek slap is a
>very
>> tingly thing.

O.K. here is my take on the subject from expirence. Playing Julia in
Albee's A Delicate Balance.
....End of Act II Julia re-enters in an hysterical state with a gun and
threatens those gathered, Julia's father convinces her to give up the gun. Her
aunt then comes over to Julia and slaps her in the face.The others stand and
watch, Julia is humiliated and runs off.
We had several weeks of rehersal and toward the end of the rehersal period
a stage combat instructor came to the rehersals once we were blocked. His tips
were, for the aunt to slap me on the upstage facial cheek , cupping her hand
and for the blow to land between the cheekbone and along the jaw line ( it
would make a sound ) and for me to turn my face as she did it. This required
timing and choreography and trust.
Rehersals were one thing.......coming onstge and doing it night after
night was another......lots of performances required very quck thinking on my
part....like the night that the actress swung her arm wide and missed my face
completely!!!! I just had to act as if she meant to hurt me and go from
there......( that was one of the best nights ). Many times it would be my ear
that got slapped because the actress missed her target. The biggest part was
for me not to anticipate......all in all it was a very interesting expirence.
I would recommend rehersing a slap.Still when you get onstage it's a whole
different story....that's what makes live theatert so interesting!
Linda
http://members.aol.com/ebthtr

R. Silverstein

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

If you ask almost any profession stage combater they will tell you that if
you can't fake it, just don't do the slap. when you plan to do a real slap,
people get worked up in the moment and lose control and they really slap the
hell out of the person. The reward isn't worth the risk of either injury,
loss of concentration or person hatred from the person you whacked. In a
recent production of Moliere's Bourgeois Gentleman, I had to slap the maid
upside her head. Our fight director was a professional working in Atlanta.
We decided that if the knap (this is the sound of the slap made by the actor
either by slapping their hands together or on their thigh) wouldn't read, I
would just whack her with her dust rag.

It's always the receiver who sells any stage violence. If the receiver
can't sell a fake slap, find some other way to portray the violence.

I hope that advice jives with other professions out there with more
experience with me.

On a personal note, as a young actor I thought it was thrilling and
realistic to have real slaps. But, as I found out, the reality is that
people get hurt and real hitting is reckless and amateur.

I hope that helps.

James Kass

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In article <6l7d85$s0q$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, pam...@aol.com wrote:

> Well its sounds like you had a great time but what about the poor man who got
> slapped, I'm sure it wasn't so "terrific" for him.

Take it from a "slapee", I'd rather just get slapped then have to worry
about the details of staging a fake one. Don't think it's amateur of me,
I'm just one of those actors who can take a slap. It really depends on how
comfortable the recipient is with the situation.

Sure, it would be "safer" to stage a fake one, but for me, I always thought
of it akin to handling a smoke detector with a radiation suit. Naturally,
i'd never take a punch, but a slap is relatively harmless.

James Kass ka...@home.net
Visit the JMK Family Productions Website
http://members.home.net/kassj/jmkprods.html

pam...@aol.com

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

In article <3574E821...@earthlink.net>,

DoveCrye <dove...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi here~
>
> Well...I just have to share this...!!!
>
> My first face slap ever... It was 100% real!!!
>
> I was the slapper ... was in a short piece where I was a jealous girlfriend who
> slapped my date for his wanderlust.
>
> At first, I was convinced I would have a "heart attack" and just couldn't do
> it! Every rehearsal we had, I just struggled with this part of the scene.
>
> The work put into this moment was pivotal and well worth it !!! Needless to
> say, I accomplished the slap...
> The actual nervous tension that built up to that moment was so extreme that it
> brought down that little dinner playhouse.
> The audience loved it.
>
> Of course, I was stunned. It was a terrific learning experience that was well
> worth every bit of tension invested! <g>
>
> Cindy~
> DoveCrye
> http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Stage/6453
>

> beav...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> > I've seen quite a few face slaps in movies that looked real. Is this
> > sometimes the case or are they always faked? Its seems like the real ones
> > occurred in cases where women slapped men. Is that also the case, since an

> > actress would stand a greater chance of getting injured? Are there any
> > special techniques to insure that the actor/actress does not get hurt? Are

> > sound effects typically used to get the slap sound?

Christopher Jahn

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

AlexNY15 wrote:

> >Dear Alex,
> >
> > What you describe is still, alas, practiced in some community theatre,
> >but not on the professional stage, or in SAG/AFTRA projects. Stage
> >combat is carefully and painstakingly practiced under the guidance of
> >trained professionals.
> >
> > What you are recommending is irresponsible.... bad advice from someone
> >who cares more about proving he can "take it" like a man, than in
> >dealing with the long-term realities of doing a show, or working in a
> >film that requires moments of "staged" violence.
> >
> > By all means, debate the issue, anf if you do, expect from yours truly
> >a series of posts (via yours truly) quoting actor experiences and
> >working philosophies from combat experts and stunt extras.

> I'm sure that insurance has problems with any physical risks. And
> SAG/AFTRA/Equity also.I wasn't trying to prove I can "take it." It just

> seems like good advice, in my opinion.

Good advice? Not hardly. Having done 8week runs as both the hitter
and hittee, that "little sting" would add up pretty quickly.

And some folks bruise very easily.

> I'm not a professional, and I have no
> experience on the professional stage, or in SAG/AFTRA projects. I have taken
> stage combat classes though, and loved it.

Who taught you this "technique?" They should have their certification
yanked immediately.

> I was posting what I thought was the best advice, for the kind of show I would
> most like to be in or see. I have no doubt that people have been hurt from
> stage slaps, just as people have been hurt from everything. I have no wish to
> argue about this; it was just some advice I thought -- when I work outside of
> local theatre I'll remember your advice.
> Thanks,
> Alex

I've said this at least once - if it's real, it AIN'T acting. Bill
was too easy on you, but I don't much feel that flaming you would solve
anything.

But that is the worst most ill- informed ignorant posting I've seen to
date.

--
>>NOTE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( Dionysian Reveler

"Tilting at windmills hurts you more than
the windmills." Robert A. Heinlein

DoveCrye

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Thanks for the input and the advice...

Please allow me to elaborate. As a young actress, this one one of my first
involvement's in a production. I was devote in following my director and in
what I was told & instructed to do. Even though the individual who received
the slap wasn't injured, he later told me he became more worried that I wouldn't
or couldn't carry it off as we went through the scene. He said he experienced
more as sense of relief that the scene was a success and that I had actually
followed through. My director also voiced relief at the "breakthrough"...

I would also like to add that during rehearsal, there were many times I
considered not doing the scene altogether as it completely goes against the
grain to hurt or injure anyone. Repeatedly, this was my foremost complaint.
Specialized training at that time wasn't even considered an option. For the
most part, everyone around considered "just a slap".... Albeit, I became
ultimately responsible for deciding to carry through with the scene, on trust
that I would walk away from the entire production with well earned experience.
My final decision to follow through with the production was based on several
influences surrounding ongoing discussions, disagreements and finally my
commitment.

It had never been my intention that my posting be taken as flippant or with
blatant disregard for another person's discomfort, pain or injury. Instead, I
offered as the past experience, which occurred quite sometime ago and from the
POV that there had been much learned from the incident, and yes...still more to
learn.

Respectfully~
Cynthia

DoveCrye: http://www.geocities.com/Broadway/Stage/6453

Roger SIlverstein

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Cynthia,
Sorry if I sounded flippant. I was speaking from the experience of someone
who was not sold on the idea of real slaps. I've been fortunate enough to
work several times with a paricular fight director here in Atlanta and I
started asking about the slap situation. The advice I gave is the advice
the guy gave me and I think it's pretty sound. I guess it depends on the
person, but I think, and I repeat, I think, that most professionals will
advise that any stage combat like punches and kicks and slaps should be
faked. Punches are a different story actually, because usually you will
make a small, light contact. Not even enough to make a noise. But anyway,
I'm sorry if I came off roughly. I hope you had a good experience with the
show.

R. Silverstein

DoveCrye <dove...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<35786576...@earthlink.net>...

Tawny Lehan

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

As far as I'm concerned a "real" slap never has to happen..
If you are good enough you can hit the person right on the neck and the jaw
bone. It makes a great (realistic) sound but doesn't hurt at all...
Tawny

Amichaii

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Tawny wrote:

>If you are good enough you can hit the person right on the neck and the jaw
>bone. It makes a great (realistic) sound but doesn't hurt at all...
>Tawny

Yeah but if you're doing 20 shows then you'll eventually leave a NASTY bruise .
. . and unless the character is supposed to be all bruised and battered to
begin with . . . well, you get the picture

Tyler Moss

Ebthtr

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

>If you are good enough

*Good enough* well there's an operative word....who judges that?

< you can hit the person right on the neck and the jaw bone

if you've got great aim and the slappee is standing still in the same spot
every performance.
If you hit the person on the jaw and neck....then it isn't a face slap and it
looks awful.
Linda Gillen
artistic director
Einstein's Bastards
( a legitimate theater company )
http://members.aol.com/ebthtr

Tawny Lehan

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Have you ACTUALLY ever done it? It definately doesn't look awful and it doesn't
leave a bruise... Not if you're doing it right...

- Tawny

Tawny Lehan

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Hey hey.. You may be older. You may be wiser. You may be whatever you think
you are but guess what. I've done it. Obviously you are mis-understanding
what I'm saying.
-TL

Ebthtr wrote:

> >Have you ACTUALLY ever done it?

> Yes ( see earlier post on this subject )

> > It definately doesn't look awful
>

> yes it does

> If you hit the person on the jaw and neck....then it isn't a face slap

> as you suggested , it's a badly done bit of business.
> Please refer to my earlier post
> 'nuff said
> Linda Gillen
> Artistic Director
> Einstein's Bastards
> (a legitimate theater company
> http://members.aol.com/ebthtr

Ebthtr

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Christopher Jahn

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Tawny Lehan wrote:

> Hey hey.. You may be older. You may be wiser. You may be whatever you think
> you are but guess what. I've done it. Obviously you are mis-understanding
> what I'm saying.

NO, we don't mis understand you at all. It's just not the way to do it
when you are a working professional.

I don't care what you've done, or think you've done. Name places, dates
and names and the unions who ok'd it, and perhaps I can cut you some
slack. But as of this moment, you sound like a rank amateur.

If you choose to risk damage, and think that that's OK, you won't work
for me, or with me.

The method you have described is UNACCEPTABLE in professional theatre.
I've done enough stage combat to know better. I don't care what YOU
think you know - it's stupid and dangerous, and no respectable stage
combat choreographer would stage it the way you describe, and that's
what we're trying (all too patiently) to tell you.

}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( Dionysian Reveler

"Why, you're more than realistic -
you're nearly grotesque!!"
Charles Busch, 'Vampire Lesbians of Sodom'

Ebthtr

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

>Tawny Lehan wrote:
>>
>> Hey hey..
<snip>
then

>}:-) Christopher Jahn
>{:-( Dionysian Reveler
>wrote

>NO, we don't mis understand you at all. It's just not the way to do it
>when you are a working professional.
<snip>

> perhaps I can cut you some
>slack. But as of this moment, you sound like a rank amateur.
<snip>

>The method you have described is UNACCEPTABLE in professional theatre.
<snip>

> and that's
>what we're trying (all too patiently) to tell you.

Bravo!
Well done Christopher Jahn !
Linda Gillen
(wage earning actress)

Tawny Lehan

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

As I have already told another person on this list, I may not be a "professional"
actress but I do know what I've seen and the way I'm talking about, you CAN'T
tell the difference. So if you refuse to accept this then go right ahead. I am
no more going to give in than you are, because I am stuborn. That's the way it
is. If I think that I'm right than I am and nothing anyone else can say will
change that. However, this isn't real life and I'm not working for or with you.
If I was then I would do it your way without saying a different word about it.
Since I'm not I can argue as much as I want and I must say it isn't a bad thing
because the more people who tell me that I can't make it and that I'm wrong, the
more I want to prove them wrong.

-Tawny

> > Hey hey.. You may be older. You may be wiser. You may be whatever you think
> > you are but guess what. I've done it. Obviously you are mis-understanding
> > what I'm saying.
>

> NO, we don't mis understand you at all. It's just not the way to do it
> when you are a working professional.
>

> I don't care what you've done, or think you've done. Name places, dates

> and names and the unions who ok'd it, and perhaps I can cut you some

> slack. But as of this moment, you sound like a rank amateur.
>

> If you choose to risk damage, and think that that's OK, you won't work
> for me, or with me.
>

> The method you have described is UNACCEPTABLE in professional theatre.

> I've done enough stage combat to know better. I don't care what YOU
> think you know - it's stupid and dangerous, and no respectable stage

> combat choreographer would stage it the way you describe, and that's

> what we're trying (all too patiently) to tell you.
>

> --

> }:-) Christopher Jahn
> {:-( Dionysian Reveler

Tawny Lehan

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Thanks for that little boost. I'm glad that, although this person totally
contridicted himself, you still congradulate him on his feeble attack at
someone he doesn't even know.
-Tawny

Ebthtr wrote:

> >Tawny Lehan wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey hey..
> <snip>
> then

> >}:-) Christopher Jahn
> >{:-( Dionysian Reveler

> >wrote

> >NO, we don't mis understand you at all. It's just not the way to do it
> >when you are a working professional.

> <snip>

> > perhaps I can cut you some
> >slack. But as of this moment, you sound like a rank amateur.

> <snip>

> >The method you have described is UNACCEPTABLE in professional theatre.

> <snip>

> > and that's
> >what we're trying (all too patiently) to tell you.

Karen Horn

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

Tawny Lehan (yorl...@cadvision.com) wrote:
: As I have already told another person on this list, I may not be

: a "professional"
: actress but I do know what I've seen and the way I'm talking about, you CAN'T
: tell the difference. So if you refuse to accept this then go right
: ahead. I am
: no more going to give in than you are, because I am stuborn. That's
: the way it
: is. If I think that I'm right than I am and nothing anyone else can say
: will
: change that. However, this isn't real life and I'm not working for
: or with you.

But theatre is a small, small world and if you DON'T take instruction on
a safety issue, I very much doubt if any of these people will HIRE you.
They are not arguing whether chocolate or vanilla ice-cream is "best" -
It's not shameful to be ignorant, but to _cling_ to invincible ignorance
is stupidity. And from what I've seen, theatre doesn't hire stupid people.

NOT that you can't learn...but pretty soon you will be expected to
have common sense. [i.e. LISTEN to "collected wisdom" and don't re-invent
the damn wheel, because some very basic things don't change.]

Are you honestly so naive as to believe OTHER actors would be eager
to work with you if you refuse to listen to "safety lessons well learned by
everyone but Tawny?"

: If I was then I would do it your way without saying a different word about

: it.
: Since I'm not I can argue as much as I want and I must say it isn't a
: bad thing
: because the more people who tell me that I can't make it and that I'm
:wrong, the
: more I want to prove them wrong.
:
: -Tawny

I don't know if they still show the "safety driving commercial" they
once had. Anyone remember this one?

You can be right. DEAD right.

The professionals here are more than willing to show you the right path.
But if you INSIST on heading right for the crocodile pit, go right ahead.
Be their guest. But don't be surprised if after dialing 911 for
your behind they say "Told you so. NOW will you insist on getting
the other leg eaten? Or will you get your head out of what's remaining
of your behind and LEARN?"

Karen

No Spam

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

Tawny wrote:

>If I think that I'm right than I am and
> nothing anyone else can say will change
> that.

"Thinking" that you are right does not make you right, by the way. (If
it did I'd think myself into a feature right now...)
No one is trying to control what you "think". But when discussing fact,
you will be corrected when you're wrong, whether or not you like it.
"Thinking" that 2 + 2 = 5 will NEVER make it so, even if there is
nothing that anyone else can say to change your mind.

Tawny, again:

>...the more people who tell me that I

> can't make it and that I'm wrong, the
> more I want to prove them wrong.

Well, now you're just having an old-fashioned temper tantrum.
Did you ever hear about the reed that wouldn't bend? It broke.
This is a TOUGH business. Learn how to bend, Tawny.
And why waste time trying to prove them wrong? You are wrong and you
won't agree with them. Do you think that they, who are right, will agree
with you? Sheesh!

Andie in NYC "I am my own groupie!"

Remove the "quiet laughter" (yuk) to reply.

RolloD18

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

Karen Horn wrote>But theatre is a small, small world and if you DON'T take

instruction on a safety issue, I very much doubt if any of these people will
HIRE you.

That's true. Karen continues:

>It's not shameful to be ignorant, but to _cling_ to invincible ignorance>is
stupidity. And from what I've seen, theatre doesn't hire stupid people.

That's is VERY well said...but I would amend it to the theatre doesn't hire
stupid people "again". I've worked with a few, and the stories I could
tell....<G> She continues sagely:

>NOT that you can't learn...but pretty soon you will be expected to have common
sense. [i.e. LISTEN to "collected wisdom" and don't re-invent the damn wheel,
because some very basic things don't change.]

Hard to swallow, but swallow you must...imagine if we were discussing
swordplay...

>But if you INSIST on heading right for the crocodile pit, go right ahead.>Be
their guest. But don't be surprised if after dialing 911 for>your behind they
say "Told you so. NOW will you insist on getting the other leg eaten?

That's assuming "they" are nice. Some will say, "oh, good, one less
competitor. Bye-bye. Good alligator."
I'm on your side, Tawny. As a sophomore in high school I took some great
hits on stage and it was fun. I respect you holding your own, correct or not.
But I came to realize that a fraction of an inch could have meant blindness
and I felt so much more of an actor when I was able to make believable a ten
minute fight sequence in full confidence that no one was going to get hurt.
You probably feel invincible. I did. Don't lose that feeling. Also, my
good friend, don't lose your sight, or your limbs, to ignorance, alligators, or
dangerous directors.

RolloD18:
Come to the cliff, he said...

Karen Horn

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

Tawny Lehan (yorl...@cadvision.com) wrote:
: I'm not stupid but thanks.... I suppose I will just have to prove you wrong...
:
: > But theatre is a small, small world and if you DON'T take instruction on

: > a safety issue, I very much doubt if any of these people will HIRE you.
: > They are not arguing whether chocolate or vanilla ice-cream is "best" -
: > It's not shameful to be ignorant, but to _cling_ to invincible ignorance

: > is stupidity. And from what I've seen, theatre doesn't hire stupid people.
:
: Actually you are wrong now... I KNOW this... Very basic things do change... The
: world is no longer square.

It never was. And human anatomy is not going to evolve where hitting
someone the way you describe will be without the risk you are taking.
Must you be on the receiving end of an errant blow to learn? Must you
have a friend die in a car crash to learn not to drink and drive? Do
you learn everything in life the hard way?

: > NOT that you can't learn...but pretty soon you will be expected to

: > have common sense. [i.e. LISTEN to "collected wisdom" and don't re-invent
: > the damn wheel, because some very basic things don't change.]

:
: I'm honest about everything, however I never said that. i

Who said jack about "honest?" People are just telling you that
in professional theatre they never use the technique you describe
because it's relatively dangerous and there is a better, much more
accepted way to do it.

> I'm stupid, yet you can't
: read. I SAID..."If I was then I would do it your way without
: saying a different
: word about it." Hello? I never would have siad that in the first
: place if I was
: looking for a job...

And supposedly you are rich and build your own theatres, and buy your
own movie studios and TV stations and cast yourself? Yeah, right.
And if, God forbid, someone should hire you as a director, and you
still think this technique is terrific you won't insist on doing it
your way, and possibly get someone hurt?

Yeah, right.

: You know what? Shut up....
:
: -TL

Why should ignorance be allowed free rein?

Karen

Ebthtr

Jun 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/14/98

>Slapping - Real or Faked?
>From: kah...@king.cts.com (Karen Horn)
replied to

>Tawny Lehan (yorl...@cadvision.com)who wrote:
<snip>

>: You know what? Shut up....
>:
>: -TL

to which Karen in part replied

>Why should ignorance be allowed free rein?
>
>Karen

In this case, it helps the poster (TL) feel *significant* .
Linda