Begs the question

RustyHinge

Jul 8, 2023, 12:52:13 PMJul 8
X-posted Shed/Caff

Carer did a bit of emergency shopping today: a large Hovis; a litre of
whole milk and a pat of butter.

I'm used to suffering all the additives in today's so-called 'bread' so
make no further comment on what *was* a pretty un-mucked-about loaf;
'whole' milk is robbed of much of its cream; Lurpak 'Lighter' proudly
boasts on its lid: "Only 4 natural ingredients".

So, how many *unnatural* ingredients does it include?

It tastes like it's packed with them.

--
Rusty Hinge

Tim+

Jul 8, 2023, 3:59:41 PMJul 8
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> X-posted Shed/Caff
>
> Carer did a bit of emergency shopping today: a large Hovis; a litre of
> whole milk and a pat of butter.
>
> I'm used to suffering all the additives in today's so-called 'bread' so
> make no further comment on what *was* a pretty un-mucked-about loaf;
> 'whole' milk is robbed of much of its cream; Lurpak 'Lighter' proudly
> boasts on its lid: "Only 4 natural ingredients".
>
> So, how many *unnatural* ingredients does it include?
>
> It tastes like it's packed with them.

Most “Lite” spreads are an abomination. The worst I’ve every come across
is Kerrymaid Buttery.

Made from a whopping 3% buttermilk.

Water, Rapeseed Oil, Palm Oil, Reconstituted BUTTERMILK (3%), Salt (1.5%),
Emulsifier (Mono and Di Glyceride of Fatty Acids), Preservative (Potassium
Sorbate). Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid), Vitamin A & D, Colour (Beta
Carotene), Flavouring. Flavouring - Natural Colour - Natural

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 9, 2023, 4:26:28 AMJul 9
RustyHinge wrote:

> 'whole' milk is robbed of much of its cream;

I never used to like "normal" milk when I was a small, much prefer the
filtered homogenised semi-skimmed nowadays.

> Lurpak 'Lighter'

Normally I buy spreadable butter, wot I know has been ripped apart,
fiddled with and reconstituted, but it is just cream with a touch of salt.

I used to use the lurpak spreadabubble, wot is 2/3 butter, and that's
ok, but the lurpak lighter is just too watered down for my liking.

Brian Gaff

Jul 9, 2023, 7:41:03 AMJul 9
Hmm, well preservatives so it does not go that ransid taste after 2 mins in
the sun for a start.
Spreadable butter is a misnomer, as its not, usually, and yet sometimes
when you get to the bottom you find some kind of oil has come out of it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"RustyHinge" <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in message

RustyHinge

Jul 9, 2023, 7:52:49 AMJul 9
On 09/07/2023 09:26, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:
>
>> 'whole' milk is robbed of much of its cream;
>
> I never used to like "normal" milk when I was a small, much prefer the
> filtered homogenised semi-skimmed nowadays.

I was brought up on real whole milk from Jersey cows. Leave a bockle to
stand and nearly a third of it is cream. The horsedrawn float had a
double row of churns from which you could ohl a gill, a half pint, a
pint or a quart or, any combination of those volumes.

I liked the stuff.

>> Lurpak 'Lighter'
>
> Normally I buy spreadable butter, wot I know has been ripped apart,
> fiddled with and reconstituted, but it is just cream with a touch of salt.

And the rest.

> I used to use the lurpak spreadabubble, wot is 2/3 butter, and that's
> ok, but the lurpak lighter is just too watered down for my liking.

It's just not fit for human consumption, nor yet is ⅔ butter along with
its pollutants.

Julian Macassey

Jul 9, 2023, 10:34:12 AMJul 9
On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 12:52:46 +0100, RustyHinge

> I was brought up on real whole milk from Jersey cows. Leave a bockle to
> stand and nearly a third of it is cream. The horsedrawn float had a
> double row of churns from which you could ohl a gill, a half pint, a
> pint or a quart or, any combination of those volumes.
>
> I liked the stuff.

Au moi aussie.

There is nothing nicer than real unhomoginised Jersey
Milk. Jersey double cream is a real treat.

Jersey cows have a good temprement, Friesens on the hand
are nasty and cranky.

--
Computing is too important to be left to men. - Karen Sparck
Jones, Search engine pioneer

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jul 9, 2023, 11:00:03 AMJul 9
On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 12:52:46 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> I was brought up on real whole milk from Jersey cows. Leave a bockle to
> stand and nearly a third of it is cream.

Lucky sod, even our gold top wasn't that creamy - especially after
the tits had been at it.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 9, 2023, 11:44:30 AMJul 9
RustyHinge wrote:

> Tease&Seize wrote:
>
>> Normally I buy spreadable butter, wot I know has been ripped apart,
>> fiddled with and reconstituted, but it is just cream with a touch of
>> salt.
>
> And the rest.

No, as I say the ingredients may be highly processed, but cream and salt
are the only ones.

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 9, 2023, 11:50:01 AMJul 9
Brian Gaff wrote:

> Spreadable butter is a misnomer, as its not, usually

I do find if you leave it out of the fridge too long, then put it back
in, it does go nearly as hard as ordinary butter, other than that, it
spreads.

> and yet sometimes
> when you get to the bottom you find some kind of oil has come out of it.

That sounds like a butter and oil blend, I'm talking about spreadable
butter without oil, or water, or buttermilk added.

John Williamson

Jul 9, 2023, 11:54:37 AMJul 9
The one I just checked says Butter (50%), Rapeseed oil. water, salt (1%)
colour (caroteries (Whatever they are))

Lidl British Spreadable.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

RustyHinge

Jul 9, 2023, 2:04:38 PMJul 9
On 09/07/2023 15:34, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 12:52:46 +0100, RustyHinge
>>
>> I was brought up on real whole milk from Jersey cows. Leave a bockle to
>> stand and nearly a third of it is cream. The horsedrawn float had a
>> double row of churns from which you could ohl a gill, a half pint, a
>> pint or a quart or, any combination of those volumes.
>>
>> I liked the stuff.
>
> Au moi aussie.
>
> There is nothing nicer than real unhomoginised Jersey
> Milk. Jersey double cream is a real treat.
>
> Jersey cows have a good temprement, Friesens on the hand
> are nasty and cranky.

When I was aout seven I made a friend of a Jersey cow: she was lame so
wouldn't run away and soon, didn't try to. I'd climb down and up the
deep ditch at the bottom of the garden from where I could have walked
twenty-five (estimated) miles on fields and meadows without having to go
through any village or town until I met the North Sea.

That spot (Cow Corner?) is now built-up and very un-green and bereft of
bovines to befriend

RustyHinge

Jul 9, 2023, 2:07:50 PMJul 9
On 09/07/2023 15:59, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Jul 2023 12:52:46 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I was brought up on real whole milk from Jersey cows. Leave a bockle to
>> stand and nearly a third of it is cream.
>
> Lucky sod, even our gold top wasn't that creamy - especially after
> the tits had been at it.

Aye - the tits could beat a continuous tattoo on the lids of churns and
steal no cream.

RustyHinge

Jul 9, 2023, 2:13:30 PMJul 9
It's the added oil which renders it 'spreadable'.

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 9, 2023, 2:21:53 PMJul 9
RustyHinge wrote:

> It's the added oil which renders it 'spreadable'.

Not when it's pure butter

"Ingredients
Butter (Milk)
Salt (1.8%)
Minimum 80% Milk Fat"

<https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-softer-butter-518030011>

Tim+

Jul 9, 2023, 2:28:56 PMJul 9
God made butter delicious for a reason. Blasphemous to mess with it.

Tim+

Jul 9, 2023, 2:28:56 PMJul 9
Aldi’s spreadable Lurpak copy is 64% butter I think.

Tim+

Jul 9, 2023, 2:30:38 PMJul 9
Presumably just whipped to add air.

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 9, 2023, 2:39:16 PMJul 9
John Williamson wrote:

> Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>
>> as I say the ingredients may be highly processed, but cream and salt
>> are the only ones.
>
> The one I just checked says Butter (50%), Rapeseed oil. water, salt (1%)
> colour (caroteries (Whatever they are))
>
> Lidl British Spreadable.

Sounds very similar to the lurpak spreadable, neither of which seem to
actually have "butter" in the product name, merely as an ingredient, see
my reply to Rusty, and also

<https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/kerrygold-pure-irish-butter-softer/047409-23398-23399>

RustyHinge

Jul 9, 2023, 2:59:18 PMJul 9
On 09/07/2023 16:54, John Williamson wrote:
> On 09/07/2023 16:44, Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>> RustyHinge wrote:

>>> And the rest.
>>
>> No, as I say the ingredients may be highly processed, but cream and salt
>> are the only ones.
> The one I just checked says Butter (50%), Rapeseed oil. water, salt (1%)
> colour (caroteries (Whatever they are))

Edible colourings

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 9, 2023, 3:11:01 PMJul 9
Tim+ wrote:

> Tease'n'Seize wrote:
>
>> <https://www.ocado.com/products/m-s-softer-butter-518030011>
>
> Presumably just whipped to add air.

Dunno, when kerrygold introduced the first version, there was some
kerfuffle over whether it could be called "butter", I can't find any
detail now, but they separated it (presumably into butterfat and
buttermilk, maybe water too) and processed each component separately,
then recombined them, the verdict was that since (modulo the salt) it
was molished from 100% of the original ingredients, it could be called
butter.

This is about the right timescale, no idea if it's their method or not

<https://patents.google.com/patent/US8790733>

RustyHinge

Jul 9, 2023, 5:53:57 PMJul 9
Text messed-with:

God-made butter delicious! For a reason, blasphemous to mess with it.

It has also been found to have no artery-furring effects unlike some
transfats or saturated fats/oils.

Talking to one of the dieticians at N&NUH, she thoroughly approved of my
choice of diet - *no* 'spreads', 'whole' milk (from Channel Islands
cattle if available), as little sugar as possible (eschew some tinned
tomatoes, tomato sauce and other products so polluted), lots of veg and
as little added salt as possible.

Brian Gaff

Jul 11, 2023, 6:01:01 AMJul 11
Whatever happened to that stuff called I can't believe its not Butter?
Usually you could believe it was not butter by the sour after taste. They
did the same to many other substances like dripping as well.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
bri...@blueyonder.co.uk
Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tease'n'Seize" <tease-and-seize@invalid> wrote in message

Kerr-Mudd, John

Jul 11, 2023, 6:22:30 AMJul 11
[]

See (or rather, listen to) the episode of Vicar of Dibley that features
such a discussion - and all will become clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPsSzLnXJkg

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Tease'n'Seize

Jul 11, 2023, 8:21:23 AMJul 11
Brian Gaff wrote:

> Whatever happened to that stuff called I can't believe its not Butter?

That, and the similar Utterly Butterly, still exist.

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 11, 2023, 9:20:46 AMJul 11
In article <taqdnQFkOb2l1DD5...@brightview.co.uk>,
Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at
13:21:13 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to that stuff called I can't believe its not Butter?
>
>That, and the similar Utterly Butterly, still exist.

I could not believe that it was not axle grease. Tasted like it was.
--
0sterc@tcher -

"Oů sont les neiges d'antan?"

Adrian

Jul 11, 2023, 10:08:22 AMJul 11
In message <WNfa7nA1...@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
<nich...@salmiron.com> writes
>In article <taqdnQFkOb2l1DD5...@brightview.co.uk>,
>Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at
>13:21:13 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote
>>Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> Whatever happened to that stuff called I can't believe its not Butter?
>>
>>That, and the similar Utterly Butterly, still exist.
>>
>I could not believe that it was not axle grease. Tasted like it was.

Enquiring minds might like to know how you knew that.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

RustyHinge

Jul 11, 2023, 10:36:57 AMJul 11
On 11/07/2023 15:01, Adrian wrote:
> In message <WNfa7nA1...@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
> <nich...@salmiron.com> writes
>> In article <taqdnQFkOb2l1DD5...@brightview.co.uk>,
>> Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?>  on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at
>> 13:21:13 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>> That, and the similar Utterly Butterly, still exist.
>>>
>> I could not believe that it was not axle grease. Tasted like it was.
>
> Enquiring minds might like to know how you knew that.

Dinah's Diner: look no further.

Julian Macassey

Jul 11, 2023, 2:49:30 PMJul 11
On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:36:56 +0100, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 15:01, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <WNfa7nA1...@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
>>>>
>>> I could not believe that it was not axle grease. Tasted like it was.
>>
>> Enquiring minds might like to know how you knew that.
>
> Dinah's Diner: look no further.

Dinah's This one?

http://www.dinahsrestaurant

They did have a serious grease fire a couple of decades
ago.

--
The NHS will last as long as there are folk left with faith to
fight for it. - Aneurin Bevan

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 11, 2023, 3:36:03 PMJul 11
In article <slrnuar91o....@n6are.com>, Julian Macassey
<jul...@n6are.com> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 18:49:28 awoke Nicholas from
his slumbers and wrote
>On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:36:56 +0100, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk
>> wrote:
>> On 11/07/2023 15:01, Adrian wrote:
>>> In message <WNfa7nA1...@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards

>>> Enquiring minds might like to know how you knew that.
>>
>> Dinah's Diner: look no further.
>
> Dinah's This one?
>
>http://www.dinahsrestaurant
>
> They did have a serious grease fire a couple of decades
>ago.

In Black Cab parlance, they do not deliver 'South of the River' (Thames)

Nicholas D. Richards

Jul 11, 2023, 3:36:03 PMJul 11
In article <0j1EXYHo...@ku.gro.lloiff>, Adrian
<bul...@ku.gro.lioff> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at 15:01:12 awoke Nicholas
from his slumbers and wrote
>In message <WNfa7nA1...@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards
><nich...@salmiron.com> writes
>>In article <taqdnQFkOb2l1DD5...@brightview.co.uk>,
>>Tease'n'Seize <tease-and-seize@invalid.?> on Tue, 11 Jul 2023 at
>>13:21:13 awoke Nicholas from his slumbers and wrote

>>>That, and the similar Utterly Butterly, still exist.
>>>
>>I could not believe that it was not axle grease. Tasted like it was.
>
>Enquiring minds might like to know how you knew that.

I cannot believe you have not tried axle grease, better than stork
grease.

RustyHinge

Jul 11, 2023, 7:53:50 PMJul 11
On 11/07/2023 19:49, Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:36:56 +0100, RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 11/07/2023 15:01, Adrian wrote:
>>> In message <WNfa7nA1...@salmiron.com>, Nicholas D. Richards

>>> Enquiring minds might like to know how you knew that.
>>
>> Dinah's Diner: look no further.
>
> Dinah's This one?
>
> http://www.dinahsrestaurant
>
> They did have a serious grease fire a couple of decades
> ago.

<♫ ♪> Dinah, Dinah, show us yer leg... </♫ ♪>

c...@nospam.com

Jul 11, 2023, 9:10:29 PMJul 11
In uk.rec.sheds RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11/07/2023 19:49, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> Dinah's Diner: look no further.
>>
>> Dinah's This one?
>>
>> http://www.dinahsrestaurant
>>
>> They did have a serious grease fire a couple of decades
>> ago.
>
> <??? ???> Dinah, Dinah, show us yer leg... </??? ???>

Pieces of eight
Pieces of eight
Show us yer knickers
Squawk

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Jul 11, 2023, 10:00:10 PMJul 11
On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 00:53:47 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/07/2023 19:49, Julian Macassey wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jul 2023 15:36:56 +0100, RustyHinge
> > <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Dinah's Diner: look no further.
> >
> > Dinah's This one?
> >
> > http://www.dinahsrestaurant
> >
> > They did have a serious grease fire a couple of decades
> > ago.
>
> <♫ ♪> Dinah, Dinah, show us yer leg... </♫ ♪>

<♫ ♪> A yard above yer knee </♫ ♪>

I thought that was the Dinah you had in mind, for some reason it
reminds me that the daughter of the mayor of Bayswater is not one to tangle
with.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/
Host: Beautiful Theory meet Inconvenient Fact
Obit: Beautiful Theory died today of factual inconsistency

Tone

Jul 11, 2023, 11:00:05 PMJul 11
On 12/07/2023 02:39, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 00:53:47 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2023 19:49, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> Dinah's This one?
>>>
>>> http://www.dinahsrestaurant
>>>
>>> They did have a serious grease fire a couple of decades
>>> ago.
>>
>> <♫ ♪> Dinah, Dinah, show us yer leg... </♫ ♪>
>
> <♫ ♪> A yard above yer knee </♫ ♪>
>
> I thought that was the Dinah you had in mind, for some reason it
> reminds me that the daughter of the mayor of Bayswater is not one to tangle
> with.

Dinah's Diner?

I'm sure that existed somewhere I have been.

Tone

Mack A. Damia

Jul 11, 2023, 11:50:16 PMJul 11
On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 04:00:01 +0100, Tone <to...@email.com> wrote:

>On 12/07/2023 02:39, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 00:53:47 +0100
>> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>>> <? ?> Dinah, Dinah, show us yer leg... </? ?>
>>
>> <? ?> A yard above yer knee </? ?>
>>
>> I thought that was the Dinah you had in mind, for some reason it
>> reminds me that the daughter of the mayor of Bayswater is not one to tangle
>> with.
>>

>Dinah's Diner?
>
>I'm sure that existed somewhere I have been.

It is on the railroad.

Dinah won't you blow
Dinah won't you blow
Dinah won't you blow (my) horn?

RustyHinge

Jul 12, 2023, 6:30:48 AMJul 12
On 12/07/2023 02:39, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2023 00:53:47 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2023 19:49, Julian Macassey wrote:

>>> Dinah's This one?
>>>
>>> http://www.dinahsrestaurant
>>>
>>> They did have a serious grease fire a couple of decades
>>> ago.
>>
>> <♫ ♪> Dinah, Dinah, show us yer leg... </♫ ♪>
>
> <♫ ♪> A yard above yer knee </♫ ♪>
>
> I thought that was the Dinah you had in mind, for some reason it
> reminds me that the daughter of the mayor of Bayswater is not one to tangle
> with.

Getting tangled in a dicky-di-do doesn't appeal

RustyHinge

Jul 12, 2023, 6:35:48 AMJul 12
On 12/07/2023 02:10, c...@nospam.com wrote:

> Pieces of eight