What is a jumping jack?

VictoriaB

Jan 9, 2023, 5:08:19 AM1/9/23
I was reading a poem* about taking down a Christmas tree which had the
following:

"The ornaments go down into the box:
the silver spaniel, My Darling
on its collar, from Mother’s childhood
in Illinois; the balsa jumping jack
my brother and I fought over,
pulling limb from limb. Mother
drew it together again with thread
while I watched, feeling depraved
at the age of ten."

The jumping jack sounds like a toy, yet Bing said it was a compactor.
Has anyone here ever had one?

v - also wondering about "Jumping Jack Flash"

*“Taking Down the Tree” by Jane Kenyon
--
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Jan 9, 2023, 5:13:08 AM1/9/23
NO NO NO!! Sent here by mistake!

John Williamson

Jan 9, 2023, 7:23:15 AM1/9/23
On 09/01/2023 10:13, VictoriaB wrote:
> NO NO NO!! Sent here by mistake!

And why not? :-)

As far as I can tell, "Jumping Jack" is the US name for what we call a
"Jack in the box", which is a head mounted on a spring, which leaps out
when you undo the catch holding the lid shut.

The "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in the song is said to have been Mick Jagger's?
gardener. Don't know the connection, unless he kept popping up unexpectedly.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Williamson

Jan 9, 2023, 7:33:36 AM1/9/23
Looking again, this seems to be closer to what is meant in the poem.

A card or wooden figure with arms and legs which make it appear to jump
as the supporting string is pulled.

https://bookzoompa.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jumping-jack-assembled.jpg

Julian Macassey

Jan 9, 2023, 8:54:09 AM1/9/23
On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 04:08:08 -0600, VictoriaB <vbfr...@privacy.com> wrote:
> I was reading a poem* about taking down a Christmas tree which had the
> following:
>
> "The ornaments go down into the box:
> the silver spaniel, My Darling
> on its collar, from Mother’s childhood
> in Illinois; the balsa jumping jack
> my brother and I fought over,
> pulling limb from limb. Mother
> drew it together again with thread
> while I watched, feeling depraved
> at the age of ten."
>
> The jumping jack sounds like a toy, yet Bing said it was a compactor.

Bing is a Microsoft product and like all Microsoft
products, they are correct but useless.

There are three meanings of the term that I know of, but
I'm not Microsoft.

In the poem the Jumping Jack refers to the toy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_jack_(toy)

+ The jumping jack is a jointed, flat wooden figure, a cross
+ between a puppet and a paper doll that is considered a mechanical
+ toy. The figure's joints are connected to a pull string that
+ causes the arms and legs move up and down when the string is
+ pulled and released. Jumping jacks were popular in many
+ contemporary countries including England, France, and Germany,
+ but similar mechanical toys date back to the Ancient Egyptians.

Also known as a Quockerwodger.

Quockerwodger has a secondary meaning, a politician who
responds to the control of others:

https://www.definition-of.com/Quockerwodger

A jumping jack also refers to a form of physical
excercise:

https://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Jumping-Jacks

Lastly it is a slang term for a compactor usually used to
compact soil after excavation, for example after installing
utilities:

https://www.machinesl.com/better-jumping-jack/

HTH

Julian Macassey

Jan 9, 2023, 8:54:57 AM1/9/23
On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 04:13:06 -0600, VictoriaB <vbfr...@privacy.com> wrote:
> NO NO NO!! Sent here by mistake!

Now you have to live with it.

Julian Macassey

Jan 9, 2023, 8:59:20 AM1/9/23
On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 12:23:12 +0000, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 09/01/2023 10:13, VictoriaB wrote:
>> NO NO NO!! Sent here by mistake!
>
> And why not? :-)
>
> As far as I can tell, "Jumping Jack" is the US name for what we call a
> "Jack in the box", which is a head mounted on a spring, which leaps out
> when you undo the catch holding the lid shut.

In the US, "Jack in the box" is called a "Jack in the
box", there is even a hamburger chain called Jack in the box.

https://www.jackinthebox.com/

--
For both parties as the record makes clear, are the champions of
big business. The Republican platform admits it. The Democratic

RustyHinge

Jan 9, 2023, 9:40:13 AM1/9/23
On 09/01/2023 10:08, VictoriaB wrote:
> I was reading a poem* about taking down a Christmas tree which had the
> following:
>
> "The ornaments go down into the box:
> the silver spaniel, My Darling
> on its collar, from Mother’s childhood
> in Illinois; the balsa jumping jack
> my brother and I fought over,
> pulling limb from limb. Mother
> drew it together again with thread
> while I watched, feeling depraved
> at the age of ten."

That is *not* poetry: it's not even blank verse.

> The jumping jack sounds like a toy, yet Bing said it was a compactor.
> Has anyone here ever had one?

Shhhh-TUMP ... shhhh-TUMP - No, but had the manual type of compactor,
tamper, lump-of-iron-on-a-stick.

> v - also wondering about "Jumping Jack Flash"

Film - mid 1980s

--
Rusty Hinge

VictoriaB

Jan 10, 2023, 4:44:14 AM1/10/23
John Williamson wrote:
> On 09/01/2023 10:13, VictoriaB wrote:
>> NO NO NO!! Sent here by mistake!
>
> And why not? :-)

~~~~
Well, nobody seems to visit here anymore for one thing... then there's
that other thing.
~~~
[..]

> The "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in the song is said to have been Mick
> Jagger's? gardener. Don't know the connection, unless he kept popping
> up unexpectedly.

~~~
Thanks, I'll have to gurgle that.
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Jan 10, 2023, 4:50:04 AM1/10/23
John Williamson wrote:
[..]
> Looking again, this seems to be closer to what is meant in the poem.
>
> A card or wooden figure with arms and legs which make it appear to
> jump as the supporting string is pulled.
>
> https://bookzoompa.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/jumping-jack-assembled.jpg

~~~
Yes, I'll bet that's it! That would explain the repair. Thank you John,
I hope the world is treating you well.
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Jan 10, 2023, 4:54:40 AM1/10/23
~~~~~
(smile) Please don't pet the peeves.
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Jan 10, 2023, 5:13:31 AM1/10/23
Julian Macassey wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 04:08:08 -0600, VictoriaB <vbfr...@privacy.com>
> wrote:
[..]

>> The jumping jack sounds like a toy, yet Bing said it was a
>> compactor.
>
> Bing is a Microsoft product and like all Microsoft products, they are
> correct but useless.

~~~
I know! I hate it, but it was in my face and I was in a hurry.
~~~
> There are three meanings of the term that I know of, but I'm not
> Microsoft.
>
> In the poem the Jumping Jack refers to the toy:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_jack_(toy)
~~~
Yes, that's it exactly. I suddenly remember having paper dolls with strings.
~~~

> Also known as a Quockerwodger. Quockerwodger has a secondary
> meaning, a politician who responds to the control of others:
>
> https://www.definition-of.com/Quockerwodger

~~~
Haha, never heard that word before, it's so appropriate.
~~~
> A jumping jack also refers to a form of physical excercise:
~~~
Yes, my country school teacher used to make us do them when the weather
was too bad for recess outside.
~~~
> Lastly it is a slang term for a compactor usually used to compact
> soil after excavation, for example after installing utilities:[..]
>
> HTH

~~~
Yes, thank you very much for your trouble.
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Jan 10, 2023, 5:27:10 AM1/10/23
RustyHinge wrote:
> On 09/01/2023 10:08, VictoriaB wrote:
>> I was reading a poem* about taking down a Christmas tree which had
>> the following:
>>
>> "The ornaments go down into the box: the silver spaniel, My
>> Darling on its collar, from Mother’s childhood in Illinois; the
>> balsa jumping jack my brother and I fought over, pulling limb from
>> limb. Mother drew it together again with thread while I watched,
>> feeling depraved at the age of ten."
>
> That is *not* poetry: it's not even blank verse.

~~~
Aw, g'wan with yer iambic pentameters, trochees, and dactyls.

It's called free verse poetry and it doesn't have to rhyme. It can
follow the rhythm of natural speech, and its artistic use of sound and
imagery can evoke emotion in the reader. I give all poetry a chance.

With poetry, rhythm and rhyme go hand in hand... both create a certain
music in the mind.
~~~
>> v - also wondering about "Jumping Jack Flash"
>
> Film - mid 1980s

~~~
Don't think I saw the film... still wondering what the Rolling Stones
meant by "he's a gas gas gas!"
https://www.thefarside.com/

Julian Macassey

Jan 10, 2023, 9:33:04 AM1/10/23
On Tue, 10 Jan 2023 04:27:08 -0600, VictoriaB <vbfr...@privacy.com> wrote:
>>> v - also wondering about "Jumping Jack Flash"
>>
>> Film - mid 1980s

The Rolling Stones recorded Jumping Jack Flash in 1968.
The movie was in 1975, no doubt riding on the song.

> ~~~
> Don't think I saw the film... still wondering what the Rolling Stones
> meant by "he's a gas gas gas!"

A 50s/60s term for fun. "It's a real gas man."

--
“In some cosmic sense … nobody deserves to have billions of
dollars.” - Mark Zuckerberg, Fox News October 18 2019

Adrian

Jan 10, 2023, 2:33:43 PM1/10/23
In message <tpjc1d$m8h$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<vbfr...@privacy.com> writes

>Well, nobody seems to visit here anymore for one thing... then there's
>that other thing.

I was here, snoozing at that table in the corner (vaguely points in the
right direction).

How are you doing V ?

Oh, and a belated Happy New Year.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Mack A. Damia

Jan 10, 2023, 7:08:16 PM1/10/23
On Mon, 9 Jan 2023 04:08:08 -0600, VictoriaB <vbfr...@privacy.com>
wrote:
You used to go by the name of "Viva", didn't you?

Remember 23 years ago (ghod!) when I helped an abused Eskimo girl and
her daughter get back to her home in Alaska?

I just looked on my Messenger, and two years ago I tried to find her.
I found somebody on Facebook living in Alaska with the same last name,
so I sent a message.

Here it turned out to be the guy she was running away from down here
in Mexico. I guess they had been married because they had the same
last name. We chatted for a while; he didn't realize how I fit into
the story, how I helped her escape! He must have packed up here and
gone to Alaska to find her. When she was here for a couple of days,
she was terrifed of him.

I got the impression that the mother and daughter are not doing too
well. I think Frances, the mother, was drinking heavily, and the
daughter, Regina, may have gotten into drugs. He wasn't too direct
with me. Didn't sound like they were living together, but they could
have been.

You know what they say: With some people, bad strokes are better than
no strokes at all.

Sad story. They were nice people.

Sn!pe

Jan 10, 2023, 7:16:15 PM1/10/23