Hello All

Ben Newsam

Sep 3, 2021, 7:31:48 AM9/3/21
Hi gang,
Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.

https://www.avg.com

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 3, 2021, 7:45:01 AM9/3/21
On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 12:31:46 +0100
Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi gang,
> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.

I fear the fat in the fryer's gone rancid, and there are cobwebs all over the place.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Sn!pe

Sep 3, 2021, 8:38:14 AM9/3/21
Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi gang,
> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.

Hi, Ben, it's good to see you. Have you been busy?

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Sn!pe

Sep 3, 2021, 8:46:06 AM9/3/21
Kerr-Mudd, John <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Sep 2021 12:31:46 +0100
> Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi gang,
> > Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
> >
> I fear the fat in the fryer's gone rancid, and there are
> cobwebs all over the place.

Your pinnie's in the cleaning cupboard...

Ben Newsam

Sep 3, 2021, 10:00:03 AM9/3/21
On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:38:12 +0100, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

>Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi gang,
>> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
>
>Hi, Ben, it's good to see you. Have you been busy?

I guess so. I must have been, thinking about it...
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 3, 2021, 11:23:50 AM9/3/21
On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:38:12 +0100, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

>Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hi gang,
>> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
>
>Hi, Ben, it's good to see you. Have you been busy?

I have a new computer, and only just got round to reinstalling Agent
etc., etc.. Currently downloading the whole content of the caff since
2003! :-)
--
Ben

VictoriaB

Sep 3, 2021, 7:59:05 PM9/3/21
Ben Newsam wrote:
> Hi gang,
> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.

~~~~
Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?
;)

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Sn!pe

Sep 3, 2021, 8:04:10 PM9/3/21
VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> wrote:

> Ben Newsam wrote:
> > Hi gang,
> > Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
> >
> ~~~~
> Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?
> ;)

Hiya V [tsunami]

Sn!pe

Sep 3, 2021, 8:04:10 PM9/3/21
Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:38:12 +0100, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:
>
> >Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi gang,
> >> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
> >
> >Hi, Ben, it's good to see you. Have you been busy?
>
> I have a new computer, and only just got round to reinstalling Agent
> etc., etc.. Currently downloading the whole content of the caff since
> 2003! :-)

Addict! (I've done just the same). It's nice to be able to revisit
the glory days of the Caff.

Adrian

Sep 4, 2021, 4:55:28 PM9/4/21
In message <sgucs5$9fb$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?
>;)

<waves to V>

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Ben Newsam

Sep 4, 2021, 4:58:37 PM9/4/21
On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:59:00 -0500, VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com>
wrote:

>Ben Newsam wrote:
>> Hi gang,
>> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
>>
>~~~~
>Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?
>;)

Oh, the usual! :-)
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 4, 2021, 5:01:46 PM9/4/21
On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 01:04:09 +0100, snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

>Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

>> >Hi, Ben, it's good to see you. Have you been busy?
>>
>> I have a new computer, and only just got round to reinstalling Agent
>> etc., etc.. Currently downloading the whole content of the caff since
>> 2003! :-)
>
>Addict! (I've done just the same). It's nice to be able to revisit
>the glory days of the Caff.

Absolutely. And good to see so many old (sorry!) familiar faces too!

VictoriaB

Sep 4, 2021, 6:33:35 PM9/4/21
Ben Newsam wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:59:00 -0500, VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ben Newsam wrote:
>>> Hi gang,
>>> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
>>>
>> ~~~~
>> Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?
>> ;)
>
> Oh, the usual! :-)

~~~
Sorry to joke, I hope you've been well.

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 4, 2021, 6:40:17 PM9/4/21
Adrian wrote:
[...]
> <waves to V>
>
> Adrian
~~~
Hey Adrian, what's cookin'?

v - homemade pizza using pita bread, marinara sauce,
onions, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni and
mozzarella

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 4, 2021, 6:48:18 PM9/4/21
Sn!pe wrote:
> VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> wrote:
>
>> Ben Newsam wrote:
>>> Hi gang,
>>> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
>>>
>> ~~~~
>> Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?
>> ;)
>
> Hiya V [tsunami]

~~~
Hey there, SnIpie! [curly hair]

https://www.thefarside.com/

Adrian

Sep 5, 2021, 6:23:20 AM9/5/21
In message <sh0skg$1po6$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>v - homemade pizza using pita bread, marinara sauce,
>onions, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni and
>mozzarella

<drools>

Rapidly approaching lunch, which will be bread, cheese and an apple.
Dinner will be snorkers (pork and leek) with mash, peas, broccoli and
some shallots.

Ben Newsam

Sep 5, 2021, 1:30:33 PM9/5/21
On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 17:33:31 -0500, VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com>
wrote:

>Ben Newsam wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:59:00 -0500, VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com>
>> wrote:

>>> ~~~~
>>> Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?
>>> ;)
>>
>> Oh, the usual! :-)
>>
>Sorry to joke, I hope you've been well.

No problem. I've been well enough, still getting older at one second
per second, and not caught the dreaded plague yet!

Ben Newsam

Sep 5, 2021, 1:41:03 PM9/5/21
On Sun, 05 Sep 2021 18:30:31 +0100, Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Sat, 4 Sep 2021 17:33:31 -0500, VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Ben Newsam wrote:

>>> Oh, the usual! :-)
>>>
>>Sorry to joke, I hope you've been well.
>>
>No problem. I've been well enough, still getting older at one second
>per second, and not caught the dreaded plague yet!

Replying to myself because I'm setting up Forte Agent, and I am hoping
that AVG doesn't add a sig to the end of this post...
--
Ben

Graeme

Sep 7, 2021, 7:24:04 AM9/7/21
In message <r70ajg570lf9ora4s...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
>Replying to myself because I'm setting up Forte Agent, and I am hoping
>that AVG doesn't add a sig to the end of this post...
>--
>Ben

Success! Have another rasher to celebrate
--
Geep, large tea please, Cheerslove

Adrian

Sep 7, 2021, 2:20:54 PM9/7/21
In message <JeRSKTFM...@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>, Graeme
<Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
> Success! Have another rasher to celebrate

Don't go making rash decisions about it.

VictoriaB

Sep 8, 2021, 12:06:28 PM9/8/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message <sh0skg$1po6$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>> v - homemade pizza using pita bread,
>> marinara sauce, onions, mushrooms, black
>> olives, pepperoni and mozzarella
>>

> <drools>
>
> Rapidly approaching lunch, which will be
> bread, cheese and an apple. Dinner will be
> snorkers (pork and leek) with mash, peas,
> broccoli and some shallots.

~~~
You Brits and your snausages, always sounds so
yummy. The butcher guy nearest me is German, and
his sausages are fine, but I wish for a Brit nearby.

Believe it or not, I'm still eating those
pizzas... made 6 and froze some.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Adrian

Sep 8, 2021, 1:20:09 PM9/8/21
In message <shan23$1du$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>You Brits and your snausages, always sounds so
>yummy. The butcher guy nearest me is German, and
>his sausages are fine, but I wish for a Brit nearby.

They were yummy :-)

Snorkers are usually a weekly thing, the other days of the week are
generally rather less exciting (e.g. cottage pie tonight)

>Believe it or not, I'm still eating those
>pizzas... made 6 and froze some.

Now't wrong with a decent pizza.

Ben Newsam

Sep 8, 2021, 3:05:29 PM9/8/21
On Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:14:01 +0100, Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff>
wrote:

>In message <shan23$1du$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
><prair...@privacy.com> writes
>>You Brits and your snausages, always sounds so
>>yummy. The butcher guy nearest me is German, and
>>his sausages are fine, but I wish for a Brit nearby.
>>

>They were yummy :-)
>
>Snorkers are usually a weekly thing, the other days of the week are
>generally rather less exciting (e.g. cottage pie tonight)

The only time I ever heard the word "snorkers" was in the film The
Cruel Sea, in which Stanley Baker says "Snorkers! Good-oh!" as the
sausages arrive at the table. Attempts have been made to tell us that
it is a general term, but in my experience it isn't.

The good old British "banger" (as most people call it) varies
enormously. There are mass-produced ones available in supermarkets,
premium quality ones at a higher price, and most independent butchers
make their own, with varying degrees of success. My personal
favourites are Lincolnshire sausages, which are more herby than the
usual kind, and the spiciness is jiust right.
--
Ben

John Williamson

Sep 8, 2021, 3:19:47 PM9/8/21
On 08/09/2021 20:05, Ben Newsam wrote:

> The good old British "banger" (as most people call it) varies
> enormously. There are mass-produced ones available in supermarkets,
> premium quality ones at a higher price, and most independent butchers
> make their own, with varying degrees of success. My personal
> favourites are Lincolnshire sausages, which are more herby than the
> usual kind, and the spiciness is jiust right.

A comment my brother used to make when he worked for the local butcher
was "Never watch sausages being made".

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Adrian

Sep 8, 2021, 3:20:13 PM9/8/21
In message <u22ijgh0okp5j0i1h...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
>The good old British "banger" (as most people call it) varies
>enormously. There are mass-produced ones available in supermarkets,
>premium quality ones at a higher price, and most independent butchers
>make their own, with varying degrees of success. My personal
>favourites are Lincolnshire sausages, which are more herby than the
>usual kind, and the spiciness is jiust right.

I get mine from the village butcher, who have a good reputation in the
area. The offerings vary from week to week, but I don't remember them
doing a Lincolnshire. I've had the "decent" ones from the supermarket,
and they weren't in the same league.

Ben Newsam

Sep 8, 2021, 4:02:36 PM9/8/21
Oh, I dunno though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKHJ-4coqJo
--
Ben

Sn!pe

Sep 8, 2021, 4:14:32 PM9/8/21
Mmm... Sossidges!

VictoriaB

Sep 9, 2021, 5:53:40 AM9/9/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message <shan23$1du$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>> You Brits and your snausages, always sounds
>> so yummy. The butcher guy nearest me is
>> German, and his sausages are fine, but I
>> wish for a Brit nearby.
>>

> They were yummy :-)
>
> Snorkers are usually a weekly thing, the other
> days of the week are generally rather less
> exciting (e.g. cottage pie tonight)

~~~
Tell me more about cottage pie. Does it contain
meat and veggies baked in pie crust, similar to
our chicken pot pies? Which I love.

We also have a British knock-off with beef,
veggies and mashed potatoes on top.
~~~
>> Believe it or not, I'm still eating those
>> pizzas... made 6 and froze some.
>
> Now't wrong with a decent pizza.

~~~
Especially when they're 'healthy' - made with
whole grain pita. And frugal - got them marked
down to 6 for a dollar. I thought, hmm, what could
I do with these, I don't like them for sandwiches....

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 9, 2021, 6:04:37 AM9/9/21
~~~
Hi John! I once watched a TV doc about processed
meats that put me off wieners, frankfurters and
hot dogs for years. It had to do with something
called "pink slime"... a lot of fast food places
were using it.

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 9, 2021, 6:09:35 AM9/9/21
~~~
Egad! Where's his gloves and mask and hairnet?!
And he has a bandaged/wounded hand!

https://www.thefarside.com/

Graeme

Sep 9, 2021, 6:47:51 AM9/9/21
In message <shclit$f32$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes

>Tell me more about cottage pie. Does it contain
>meat and veggies baked in pie crust, similar to
>our chicken pot pies? Which I love.

Hi V!
Cottage pie and shepherd's pie are essentially the same except cottage
pie is made with minced beef whereas shepherd's pie is minced lamb. Both
have a topping of mashed potato, and both (usually) have the meat fried
with diced On!ons. Veggies are optional - I usually mix in a few peas
and diced carrots.
--
Geep

Ben Newsam

Sep 9, 2021, 7:53:26 AM9/9/21
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 04:53:33 -0500, VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com>
wrote:

>Adrian wrote:
>> In message <shan23$1du$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>>> You Brits and your snausages, always sounds
>>> so yummy. The butcher guy nearest me is
>>> German, and his sausages are fine, but I
>>> wish for a Brit nearby.
>>>

>> They were yummy :-)
>>
>> Snorkers are usually a weekly thing, the other
>> days of the week are generally rather less
>> exciting (e.g. cottage pie tonight)
>>
>~~~
>Tell me more about cottage pie. Does it contain
>meat and veggies baked in pie crust, similar to
>our chicken pot pies? Which I love.
>
>We also have a British knock-off with beef,
>veggies and mashed potatoes on top.

Cottage pie is minced beef with a mashed potato covering, with
occasional variations, the sauce flavour varies, some people add diced
carrots and/or peas etc.. We used to call it shepherd's pie until some
picky people pointed out that shepherds looked after sheep so it could
only be called shepherd's pie if the meat part was lamb or mutton so
the term cottage pie came into being yadda yadda.
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 9, 2021, 9:15:31 AM9/9/21
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 05:09:33 -0500, VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com>
wrote:
He's clearly a "hands on" type of chef. Not afraid to get his hands
dirty!
--
Ben

Adrian

Sep 9, 2021, 1:04:39 PM9/9/21
In message <shclit$f32$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes

Hi V.,

>Tell me more about cottage pie. Does it contain
>meat and veggies baked in pie crust, similar to
>our chicken pot pies? Which I love.

Cottage pie is (usually) minced beef with vegs of choice, covered in
mashed potato, so not a pie in the normal sense (no pastry involved).
It has a close cousin of Shepherd's pie which uses minced lamb instead.
I've heard of other versions using different types of red meat (pork and
venison as memory serves), but I've never come across them.

>We also have a British knock-off with beef,
>veggies and mashed potatoes on top.

Yup, that sounds like cottage pie.

Sn!pe

Sep 9, 2021, 1:25:33 PM9/9/21
Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <shclit$f32$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
> <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>
> Hi V.,
>
> >Tell me more about cottage pie. Does it contain
> >meat and veggies baked in pie crust, similar to
> >our chicken pot pies? Which I love.
> >

> Cottage pie is (usually) minced beef with vegs of choice, covered in
> mashed potato, so not a pie in the normal sense (no pastry involved).
> It has a close cousin of Shepherd's pie which uses minced lamb instead.
> I've heard of other versions using different types of red meat (pork and
> venison as memory serves), but I've never come across them.
>
> >We also have a British knock-off with beef,
> >veggies and mashed potatoes on top.
>
> Yup, that sounds like cottage pie.

I once heard an unconvincing theory that shepherds' pie had the
potato topping 'forked' into ridges to resemble a shepherd's hair,
but cottage pie was topped with potato slices, resembling roofing
tiles. If the cottage were thatched, much confusion might ensue.

Myself, I go with lamb for shepherds' and beef for cottage pie.
In either case, don't forget the On!ons, nor Bisto.

Adrian

Sep 9, 2021, 1:44:41 PM9/9/21
In message <1pf93zc.4mlodc11j994uN%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snip...@gmail.com> writes
>In either case, don't forget the On!ons, nor Bisto.

Yes to the On!ons, but otherwise Oxo cubes and mixed herbs.

John Williamson

Sep 9, 2021, 3:27:04 PM9/9/21
Hi, yourself. Nice to see you in here again. :-)

My brother's (You may remember him as Sid from Sarf Efrika) comments
were caused by watching a complete pig come in through the door most
days, and following the process of dismantlement until not even the
squeak was left. He saw what went into the sausages, and it was not
"Pink slime", which is a product of industrial scale butchery.

John Williamson

Sep 9, 2021, 3:29:57 PM9/9/21
On 09/09/2021 11:47, Graeme wrote:
> In message <shclit$f32$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
> <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>
>> Tell me more about cottage pie. Does it contain
>> meat and veggies baked in pie crust, similar to
>> our chicken pot pies? Which I love.
>
> Hi V!
> Cottage pie and shepherd's pie are essentially the same except cottage
> pie is made with minced beef

*Mostly* beef, except when home made in less poor families. ;-)

Mystery meat is still a thing in pies.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 9, 2021, 3:30:01 PM9/9/21
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:25:31 +0100
snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote:

> I once heard an unconvincing theory that shepherds' pie had the
> potato topping 'forked' into ridges to resemble a shepherd's hair,
> but cottage pie was topped with potato slices, resembling roofing
> tiles.

I've only ever seen slices like that on top of a Lancashire Hotpot.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

VictoriaB

Sep 10, 2021, 5:56:44 AM9/10/21
~~~
Hi Graeme! Thank you, and the others, for the
education. It makes sense that shepherd's pie
would be made of lamb... yanks who herd cattle
could make cowboy pie.

No, that'd be too close to cow pie... ick.

I'm still wondering about why they call the
other one "cottage."

v - now wondering about cottage cheese, lol
--
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 10, 2021, 5:57:52 AM9/10/21
~~~~
Yep, dirty hands alright.
;)

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 10, 2021, 6:06:12 AM9/10/21
~~~
Yes, I remember Sid, we were "pen pals" for
a while... interesting fellow. Loved his family.

Heheh, "not even the squeak was left." Good
one. One time I was enjoying a bologna (we
Okies call it baloney) sandwich when someone
said it was ground up eyeballs and arseholes!

https://www.thefarside.com/

Graeme

Sep 10, 2021, 6:57:41 AM9/10/21
In message <shfa4q$ao0$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>Hi Graeme! Thank you, and the others, for the
>education. It makes sense that shepherd's pie
>would be made of lamb... yanks who herd cattle
>could make cowboy pie.
>
>No, that'd be too close to cow pie... ick.
>
>I'm still wondering about why they call the
>other one "cottage."

Hi V. I think Ben is right in that cottage pie is a relatively recent
invention. Certainly as kids we had shepherd's pie regularly, always
made with minced beef though, not lamb or mutton. Exactly which parts
of a cow end up in minced beef is something I've never felt the need to
know. Same with minced pork in sausages. If it tastes good, I'll eat
it :-)

Oh, and yes, the potato topping whether cottage or shepherd's is always
ridged with a fork before going in the oven, at least in the house.
Possibly topped with slices of tomato and grated Cheddar. Yum!

Cow pie always reminds me of Desperate Dan, but that would mean nothing
to anyone outside the UK :-)
--
Geep

John Williamson

Sep 10, 2021, 7:52:30 AM9/10/21
On 10/09/2021 11:06, VictoriaB wrote:
> ~~~
> Yes, I remember Sid, we were "pen pals" for
> a while... interesting fellow. Loved his family.

I'm the only one left online now. Mike and Charles (Chucjhb) are both
long gone, and Eric only uses computers for work, and only then when
unavoidable.

> Heheh, "not even the squeak was left." Good
> one. One time I was enjoying a bologna (we
> Okies call it baloney) sandwich when someone
> said it was ground up eyeballs and arseholes!

Yeah, pretty much. It still tastes good though.

Unlike the French Andouillette...

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 10, 2021, 10:00:03 AM9/10/21
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 11:49:04 +0100
Graeme <Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Exactly which parts
> of a cow end up in minced beef is something I've never felt the need to
> know.

In France in the late 1970s I encountered the practice of filling an
order for beef mince (biftek hache) by picking a steak up and dropping it
in the mincer.

Ben Newsam

Sep 10, 2021, 12:59:41 PM9/10/21
OMG yes, the taste of andouille and andouillete is rank and beyond
description. Vile. The bigger ones also look like you might imagine a
cross section of dachshund to look like.
--
Ben

Adrian

Sep 10, 2021, 2:36:16 PM9/10/21
In message <FZZhLdFggzOhFw$p...@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>, Graeme
<Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
> Exactly which parts of a cow end up in minced beef is something I've
>never felt the need to know.

Our village butcher uses steak.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 10, 2021, 3:18:41 PM9/10/21
On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 20:29:54 +0100
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 09/09/2021 11:47, Graeme wrote:
> > In message <shclit$f32$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
> > <prair...@privacy.com> writes
> >
> >> Tell me more about cottage pie. Does it contain
> >> meat and veggies baked in pie crust, similar to
> >> our chicken pot pies? Which I love.
> >
> > Hi V!
> > Cottage pie and shepherd's pie are essentially the same except
> > cottage pie is made with minced beef
>
> *Mostly* beef, except when home made in less poor families. ;-)
>
> Mystery meat is still a thing in pies.

Paging Mr Dibbler!

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

John Williamson

Sep 10, 2021, 3:38:13 PM9/10/21
I tried it once. A tiny bite was more than enough, though the French
people I was with were happy to grab the rest of mine.

John Williamson

Sep 10, 2021, 3:40:08 PM9/10/21
On 10/09/2021 14:59, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 11:49:04 +0100
> Graeme <Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Exactly which parts
>> of a cow end up in minced beef is something I've never felt the need to
>> know.
>
> In France in the late 1970s I encountered the practice of filling an
> order for beef mince (biftek hache) by picking a steak up and dropping it
> in the mincer.

I used to use a British butcher near me who would do the same thing if
he had run out of the usual stuff. They were the best burgers I ever
managed to make.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 10, 2021, 5:00:02 PM9/10/21
I should have mentioned, it was in a supermarket, well they said
Hypermarche and it was certainly nothing like a late 1970s Tesco.

Ben Newsam

Sep 10, 2021, 6:27:03 PM9/10/21
wrote:

>Ben Newsam wrote:
>> Hi gang,
>> Sorry not to have posted in a long time. Back now, hopefully.
>>
>~~~~
>Good to see you Ben, what were you in for?

Driving While Black. Oh, apart from not having a car, and being white.
Never mind, eh?
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 10, 2021, 6:31:08 PM9/10/21
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 20:38:10 +0100, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On 10/09/2021 17:59, Ben Newsam wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 12:52:25 +0100, John Williamson
>> <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, pretty much. It still tastes good though.
>>>
>>> Unlike the French Andouillette...
>>
>> OMG yes, the taste of andouille and andouillete is rank and beyond
>> description. Vile. The bigger ones also look like you might imagine a
>> cross section of dachshund to look like.
>>
>I tried it once. A tiny bite was more than enough, though the French
>people I was with were happy to grab the rest of mine.

I suppose it's not their fault they're Wocab
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 10, 2021, 7:12:13 PM9/10/21
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 11:49:04 +0100, Graeme <Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
The term "cottage pie" was around in 1944, it seems. Here is a clip
from the Powell & Pressburger film A Canterbury Tale, made during WW2
and one of my all-time favourite movies. It was made with local people
playing the villagers, and a genuine amateur actor American Army
Sergeant in a leading role. I would recommend watching the whole film,
it is a slow-moving elegy of an English life that is now long gone,
full of little nostalgic vignettes of what it really means to be
English. It hits me right *there* every time I watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/v/RMJ8lVXXNP8?start=2023
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 10, 2021, 8:45:25 PM9/10/21
On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 00:12:08 +0100, Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk>
wrote:
...and this rather interesting metadata...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4KDtlWPP48
--
Ben

Graeme

Sep 11, 2021, 2:55:04 AM9/11/21
In message <repnjgt207jtaf3vv...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes

>full of little nostalgic vignettes of what it really means to be
>English. It hits me right *there* every time I watch it.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/v/RMJ8lVXXNP8?start=2023

Bookmarked :-)

--
Geep

VictoriaB

Sep 11, 2021, 6:18:38 AM9/11/21
~~~
LOL! You big silly.

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 11, 2021, 6:35:20 AM9/11/21
~~~
Thanks Ben! I love old English movies about the
war, am saving it for later. The little I watched
didn't spark that I'd watched it before.

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 11, 2021, 6:39:23 AM9/11/21
VictoriaB wrote:
> John Williamson wrote:
~~~
Seems like I encountered that sausage during a
visit to New Orleans long ago... don't remember
much about it. Tell me of your experience.
https://www.thefarside.com/

John Williamson

Sep 11, 2021, 7:15:17 AM9/11/21
On 11/09/2021 11:39, VictoriaB wrote:
<Andouillettes>
> ~~~
> Seems like I encountered that sausage during a
> visit to New Orleans long ago... don't remember
> much about it. Tell me of your experience.
I will try anything once...

Usually, more than once. My trial of Andouillette was a very quick taste
and a "YUCK". In my opinion, it is UAB.

This is possibly more information than you want. It is made of the bits
that even other sausage makers throw away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andouillette

VictoriaB

Sep 11, 2021, 10:51:40 AM9/11/21
~~~
[...] " stronger in scent when the colon is used.
True andouillette is rarely seen outside France
and has a strong, distinctive odour related to it
intestinal origins and components."

I remember now, it was in a French restaurant and
a fellow diner dared me to take a bite after I
complained about the smell.

Come to think of it, I'll bet some of the weird
stuff we eat got started with a dare. Artichokes,
oysters, mountain oysters (cattle gonads).

When I was a child, I had dinner with a
schoolmate's family, enjoyed a hearty soup,
accepted seconds. She later told me it was made of
Tripe... and I asked, "what is a Tripe?" When Gran
asked me what I'd had for dinner, I told her "an
awful soup made from cow stomach." She laughed.

Didn't seem to bother me the many ways Gran
prepared cow's tongue... the most tender of beef.

v - UAB?

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

John Williamson

Sep 11, 2021, 11:26:06 AM9/11/21
On 11/09/2021 15:51, VictoriaB wrote:

> ~~~
> [...] " stronger in scent when the colon is used.
> True andouillette is rarely seen outside France
> and has a strong, distinctive odour related to it
> intestinal origins and components."
>
> I remember now, it was in a French restaurant and
> a fellow diner dared me to take a bite after I
> complained about the smell.
>
> Come to think of it, I'll bet some of the weird
> stuff we eat got started with a dare. Artichokes,
> oysters, mountain oysters (cattle gonads).

Oh, yes. Though if you believe one theory of our origins which has us
evolving on the coast, Oysters are just another shellfish, and when we
lived by the coast in Africa, we ate a *lot* of shellfish, according to
the piles of rubbish the archaeologists have found and analysed.

In 19th Century London, Oysters were a cheap and plentiful source of
protein for the poor.

> When I was a child, I had dinner with a
> schoolmate's family, enjoyed a hearty soup,
> accepted seconds. She later told me it was made of
> Tripe... and I asked, "what is a Tripe?" When Gran
> asked me what I'd had for dinner, I told her "an
> awful soup made from cow stomach." She laughed.

LOL! Mum used to boil it to make it tender then fry it. Not too bad with
fried On!ons.

> Didn't seem to bother me the many ways Gran
> prepared cow's tongue... the most tender of beef.

Indeed.

> v - UAB?

Ugh! Aargh! Bleurch!!!

Possibly accidentally imported from Ye Shedde.

You may like to drop in for a cuppa? Just mind yer cardie on the nail.

uk.rec.sheds

Ben Newsam

Sep 11, 2021, 7:33:43 PM9/11/21
It is not exactly *about* the war, and the propaganda content is muted
although still there. Apart from there being soldiers about, the war
is represented in allegorical form by a battle between two gangs of
small children on a river. The film was a failure when it was first
released, and was heavily edited before being released in the USA,
where it was also a failure. It has only recently become a bit of a
cult movie. Nobody at the time seemed to "get" it, and even now it
gets heavily criticised for its content by various politically correct
people over-analysing it. The "plot" is somewhat ludicrous and a bit
creepy to say the least, about a guy who puts glue in women's hair to
put them off dating soldiers, but to be honest that's not really what
the film is about. It is an elegaic essay on being grounded (or not)
in a place, on belonging, on pilgrimage, and what it means to be
English. Written by a Hungarian, as it happens. The nicest and most
grounded character is the American sergeant, who really understands
what it means to come from somewhere and be rooted there. Played by a
real American Army sergeant, as it happens. The film contains a number
of charming set-piece scenes and vignettes. Look out for the sergeant
waking in his hotel room, the wheelwright's yard, the characters of
the various women, the river battle, the train journey, and the final
scenes in Canterbury itself. Full of deep symbolism. HTH, HAND, etc.,
etc..
--
Ben

Graeme

Sep 12, 2021, 3:23:55 AM9/12/21
In message <shfa4q$ao0$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes

>I'm still wondering about why they call the
>other one "cottage."

Still thinking about cottage and shepherd's pie reminded me that, not
that long ago, the pie would be a Tuesday dinner. Sunday was a roast
joint, Monday cold joint and Tuesday, whatever scraps of meat were left
would go through the Spong mincer, the meat then eked out with a few
veggies.

Monday's cold meat may be served with bubble and squeak, the latter
being a mixed and mashed conglomeration of whatever potato and veg was
left from Sunday.

--
Geep

Adrian

Sep 12, 2021, 6:31:17 AM9/12/21
In message <k9upjgtt6ieo0ojb3...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
>It is not exactly *about* the war, and the propaganda content is muted
>although still there. Apart from there being soldiers about, the war
>is represented in allegorical form by a battle between two gangs of
>small children on a river.

I've seen it a couple of times, and enjoyed it, worth a rewatch when it
comes on.

Ben and John (and hopefully) others may be interested in Talking Picture
at 1500 on 14/9 (Tuesday). "Painted Boats", a 1945 Ealing film about
England's canals..

VictoriaB

Sep 12, 2021, 7:00:45 AM9/12/21
John Williamson wrote:
> On 11/09/2021 15:51, VictoriaB wrote:
~~~

>> Come to think of it, I'll bet some of the
>> weird stuff we eat got started with a dare.
>> Artichokes, oysters, mountain oysters
>> (cattle gonads).
>>
> Oh, yes. Though if you believe one theory of
> our origins which has us evolving on the
> coast, Oysters are just another shellfish, and
> when we lived by the coast in Africa, we ate a
> *lot* of shellfish, according to the piles of
> rubbish the archaeologists have found and
> analysed.
>
> In 19th Century London, Oysters were a cheap
> and plentiful source of protein for the poor.

~~~
I was joking, but you're right, we humans are very
adaptable and can survive eating whatever's at
hand. My grandparents were sharecroppers until
they bought their own farm. They'd give the best
of the meat, fruits and veggies to the landlord,
and make do with the rest.

I grew up eating squirrel and dumplings (fat grain
fed country, not city bred), also lots of rabbit,
and giant frog legs, which would jerk in the pan
as Gran fried them. All of it yummy to a hungry
kid. My sister said, "they raised us on vermin and
weeds (wild greens)." Didn't bother me.

I'll still order frog legs in a restaurant.
~~~
>> When I was a child, I had dinner with a
>> schoolmate's family, enjoyed a hearty soup,
>> accepted seconds. She later told me it was
>> made of Tripe... and I asked, "what is a
>> Tripe?" When Gran asked me what I'd had for
>> dinner, I told her "an awful soup made from
>> cow stomach." She laughed.
>>
> LOL! Mum used to boil it to make it tender
> then fry it. Not too bad with fried On!ons.
>
>> Didn't seem to bother me the many ways Gran
>> prepared cow's tongue... the most tender of
>> beef.
>>
> Indeed.
>
>> v - UAB?
>>
> Ugh! Aargh! Bleurch!!!
>
> Possibly accidentally imported from Ye Shedde.
>
> You may like to drop in for a cuppa? Just mind
> yer cardie on the nail.
>
> uk.rec.sheds

~~~
Cardie on the nail, ;) I love ye olde shedde...
have been a Lurkin' Murrican (not Merkin) off and
on for years. To me it's the epitome of the
British 'man on the street.' I would love to talk
to some of those guys, but worry that a woman
would change the dynamic. I'd be the only one, and
they might censor what they say about the women in
their lives.

I'm thinking of a cartoon strip of Little Lulu who
is banished from the tree house which has a sign -
"No Grils Allowed!"

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 12, 2021, 7:11:08 AM9/12/21
Graeme wrote:
[..]

> Still thinking about cottage and shepherd's
> pie reminded me that, not that long ago, the
> pie would be a Tuesday dinner. Sunday was a
> roast joint, Monday cold joint and Tuesday,
> whatever scraps of meat were left would go
> through the Spong mincer, the meat then eked
> out with a few veggies.
>
> Monday's cold meat may be served with bubble
> and squeak, the latter being a mixed and
> mashed conglomeration of whatever potato and
> veg was left from Sunday.

~~~~~
Yes, it was much the same over here, you can get
several good meals out of a nice beef roast. If
Sunday dinner wasn't beef, it was always fried
chicken.

We also had a meat grinder... the kind that clamps
to a kitchen table. I still use Gran's to make
sweet Italian sausage.

And I know all about bubble and squeak... love it.
I had a British roomie when I was a young office
worker in SoCal.

A co-worker named Rosalind, a real corker she was,
flaming red hair, sort of a grifter, only I didn't
know what that was back then. We were very poor.
She'd find a couple of guys who'd buy us a nice
dinner... then we'd escape out the back door.

v - wasn't a little Okie hick for long

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

John Williamson

Sep 12, 2021, 7:45:40 AM9/12/21
On 12/09/2021 11:23, Adrian wrote:

> Ben and John (and hopefully) others may be interested in Talking Picture
> at 1500 on 14/9 (Tuesday). "Painted Boats", a 1945 Ealing film about
> England's canals..
>
> Adrian
I have a copy on a hard drive somewhere in the piling system.

Also The Bargee... https://ok.ru/video/1828972858036

John Williamson

Sep 12, 2021, 7:56:10 AM9/12/21
On 12/09/2021 12:00, VictoriaB wrote:
> ~~~
> I was joking, but you're right, we humans are very
> adaptable and can survive eating whatever's at
> hand. My grandparents were sharecroppers until
> they bought their own farm. They'd give the best
> of the meat, fruits and veggies to the landlord,
> and make do with the rest.

Sounds about right.

> I grew up eating squirrel and dumplings (fat grain
> fed country, not city bred), also lots of rabbit,
> and giant frog legs, which would jerk in the pan
> as Gran fried them. All of it yummy to a hungry
> kid. My sister said, "they raised us on vermin and
> weeds (wild greens)." Didn't bother me.

Food's just food at that stage. Dad used to skin and gut rabbits for us
when he could find it, as he liked the taste.

> I'll still order frog legs in a restaurant.
> ~~~
I'll eat them if offered, as I do snails (AKA Wallfruit in parts of
England).

> I'm thinking of a cartoon strip of Little Lulu who
> is banished from the tree house which has a sign -
> "No Grils Allowed!"

Fair enough.

Which reminbds me, I have on the HD a folder called "Music to watch
Grils by" Typos rool...

Ben Newsam

Sep 12, 2021, 1:36:00 PM9/12/21
That's a brilliant film, the canal details are excellent, despite it
being a comedy.
--
Ben

Graeme

Sep 12, 2021, 1:44:12 PM9/12/21
In message <iq686o...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> writes

>Which reminbds me, I have on the HD a folder called "Music to watch
>Grils by" Typos rool...

I still have that on, I think, cassette. The number ones of our
birthdays, although I haven't actually played it for a while!
--
Geep

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 12, 2021, 1:49:21 PM9/12/21
On Sun, 12 Sep 2021 06:00:39 -0500
VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> wrote:

> John Williamson wrote:
> > On 11/09/2021 15:51, VictoriaB wrote:
> ~~~
[]
Ye Shedde.

> > You may like to drop in for a cuppa? Just mind
> > yer cardie on the nail.
> >
> > uk.rec.sheds
> >
> ~~~
> Cardie on the nail, ;) I love ye olde shedde...
> have been a Lurkin' Murrican (not Merkin) off and
> on for years. To me it's the epitome of the
> British 'man on the street.' I would love to talk
> to some of those guys, but worry that a woman
> would change the dynamic. I'd be the only one, and
> they might censor what they say about the women in
> their lives.

Not at all, there used to be a womanly contingent in ye shedde, but I goov they (& others) desserted for F**bwk.

I goov you'd find a cheery welcome. You'd be well within your rights to moan about the things men do!

I'll risk a X-Post, with FU to ye shedde if VictoriaB wishes to leap in.

VictoriaB

Sep 13, 2021, 7:11:18 AM9/13/21
Ben Newsam wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 05:35:15 -0500, VictoriaB
[..]

[ Then Ben said:

[..]
~~~
>> Thanks Ben! I love old English movies about
>> the war, am saving it for later. ...
~~~
I'm going to try to find this film on Netflix
because my PC monitor doesn't do it justice.
Several reviews call it a masterpiece. I'm a film
nut and would like to study it.

It did help and I'm having a lovely day, TYVM.

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 13, 2021, 7:23:22 AM9/13/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message
> <k9upjgtt6ieo0ojb3...@4ax.com>,
> Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
>> It is not exactly *about* the war, and the
>> propaganda content is muted although still
>> there. Apart from there being soldiers
>> about, the war is represented in allegorical
>> form by a battle between two gangs of small
>> children on a river.
>
> I've seen it a couple of times, and enjoyed
> it, worth a rewatch when it comes on.
>
> Ben and John (and hopefully) others may be
> interested in Talking Picture at 1500 on 14/9
> (Tuesday). "Painted Boats", a 1945 Ealing
> film about England's canals..
>
> Adrian
~~~
Thanks Adrian, I'll look into that... Ben and John
W. sparked my interest in England's canals and
long boats.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 13, 2021, 8:54:21 AM9/13/21
*Narrow* boats lol. I have actually hired a narrowboat on the Monmouth
& Brecon Canal at the end of next month, I'll take the grandkids on a
leisurely cruise from Abergavenny to Brecon and back.
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 13, 2021, 9:09:40 AM9/13/21
Yes, that would be worth it. It can definitely be obtained fairly
cheaply on DVD. That being said, it is very dark at the beginning,
there is meant to be a wartime blackout!

Another reason it has been ignored, I think, is because it is in black
and white, they couldn't get colour stock in wartime, but it sits in a
short burst of Powell & Pressberger's best work:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
A Canterbury Tale (1944)
I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)
A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
Black Narcissus (1947)
The Red Shoes (1948)

all of which are superb.

In A Canterbury Tale, the actor Esmond Knight pops up a few times. He
had been badly injured in a warship, and was very nearly blind. P&P
used him regularly before the war, and continued afterwards, despite
his eye problems.
--
Ben

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 13, 2021, 2:20:03 PM9/13/21
Good move; no pubs on the canal south between Abergavenny & Mamhilad!

Ben Newsam

Sep 13, 2021, 2:32:19 PM9/13/21
Thanks for the heads up! In the process of booking right now for the
trip north, as it happens. Plenty of choice in most cases, it seems.
(I hope they speak English!)
--
Ben

John Williamson

Sep 13, 2021, 3:21:49 PM9/13/21
On 13/09/2021 19:32, Ben Newsam wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up! In the process of booking right now for the
> trip north, as it happens. Plenty of choice in most cases, it seems.
> (I hope they speak English!)

<Grin> If you have money you wish to spend, English will be spoken.

(The cynicism pills are working well.)

Ben Newsam

Sep 13, 2021, 4:10:34 PM9/13/21
They certainly are! Back in 1968 or so I travelled around north Wales
in an estate car (and sleeping in the car). Whenever I went into a
pub, it seemed to me that everyone instantly switched to Welsh.
--
Ben

VictoriaB

Sep 13, 2021, 6:34:59 PM9/13/21
Ben Newsam wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 06:23:21 -0500, VictoriaB
> <prair...@privacy.com> wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:[..]
>>> Ben and John (and hopefully) others may be
>>> interested in Talking Picture at 1500 on
>>> 14/9 (Tuesday). "Painted Boats", a 1945
>>> Ealing film about England's canals..
>>>
>>> Adrian
>> ~~~ Thanks Adrian, I'll look into that... Ben
>> and John W. sparked my interest in England's
>> canals and long boats.
>
> *Narrow* boats lol. I have actually hired a
> narrowboat on the Monmouth & Brecon Canal at
> the end of next month, I'll take the grandkids
> on a leisurely cruise from Abergavenny to
> Brecon and back.

~~~
Narrowboats! Of course! LOL Longboats... now I
can't get the visual out of my mind... and here's
me, the descendant of English shipbuilders, who
built the ship that brought them here!

So jealous of your cruise.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 14, 2021, 4:05:12 AM9/14/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 17:34:56 -0500, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> wrote:

>So jealous of your cruise.

Not sure if you can register to watch this in Leftpondia, but...
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-canal-journeys/on-demand/65396-006
--
Ben

John Williamson

Sep 14, 2021, 4:57:26 AM9/14/21
When I owned a place in Mid Wales, it started off that when I walked
into the local, you could hear them chatting in Waleian, and they just
carried on. After they got to know me, the ones I chatted with used to
switch to English as I walked in through the door.

Then Devolution happened, and from outside the door, you would hear a
mix of English and Walesish, and as soon as I opened it, it switched to
the local version of Cymraeg which nobody from more than a few miles
away could understand. For reasons not unconnected to the attitude
change after Devolution, at about that time, the English landlord moved
out and a Welsh guy moved in.

This was the period of the "Dim Cymru ar werth" (Wales is not for sale)
campaign, when people were refusing to sell property to people currently
resident more than about 50 miles away.

VictoriaB

Sep 14, 2021, 6:06:39 AM9/14/21
~~~
Doesn't look like I can, but I've found some
YouTubes of canal rides on our Erie Canal...
there's a lot of folk songs about it. Turns out we
have a lot of canals - our history goes back to
mule-pulling, just like yours. Too bad we don't
have any out here in Oklahomastan.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 14, 2021, 6:43:03 AM9/14/21
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:57:22 +0100, John Williamson
I suspect that a lot of people who claim to be Welsh aren't at all in
fact, they just have a Welsh accent from having been born there.
Nationalism is so Weird.
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

Sep 14, 2021, 6:47:19 AM9/14/21
Yes. What has been lacking in the US is a sufficient hard core of
nutters campaigning to preserve stuff like that. The canals in Britain
could have gone the same way, but were saved through the efforts of
Tom Rolt (author of Narrowboat in 1944) and many others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrow_Boat_(book)
--
Ben

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 14, 2021, 11:27:03 AM9/14/21
On Mon, 13 Sep 2021 19:32:17 +0100
You'll be hard pressed to find anyone over 25 who *can* speak Welsh.
(Welsh Medium education only getting a big push once Devolution was in place).

Adrian

Sep 14, 2021, 1:43:15 PM9/14/21
In message <v3v0kgh4ap3uqqis4...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
>I suspect that a lot of people who claim to be Welsh aren't at all in
>fact, they just have a Welsh accent from having been born there.
>Nationalism is so Weird.

Several decades ago, I worked with a guy from the Forest of Dean. His
wife also came from the same village (cue jokes). Although they were
both born in the same hospital, he claimed to be Welsh, and she claimed
to be English. Subsequent research suggested that he was born in
Monmouthshire, which at the time was officially English.

Adrian

Sep 14, 2021, 1:43:15 PM9/14/21
In message <96v0kghiqjftdlnc3...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
>Yes. What has been lacking in the US is a sufficient hard core of
>nutters campaigning to preserve stuff like that.

Oi, I (used to) resemble that remark.

> The canals in Britain
>could have gone the same way, but were saved through the efforts of
>Tom Rolt (author of Narrowboat in 1944) and many others.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrow_Boat_(book)

I would also recommend his autobiography (the Landscape trilogy).

VictoriaB

Sep 15, 2021, 6:54:44 AM9/15/21
~~~
Yes, the USA is too much out with the old, in with
the new, let's improve it, we need more efficient
forms of transportation... yada yada.

Yet, we still have quite a few in operation today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_canals_in_the_United_States

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 15, 2021, 7:13:14 AM9/15/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>Yes, the USA is too much out with the old, in with
>the new, let's improve it, we need more efficient
>forms of transportation... yada yada.
>
>Yet, we still have quite a few in operation today.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_canals_in_the_United_States

Wow indeed, quite a mileage. And of course we remember our own dear
Molesworth's account of travelling along canals on the verges of the
Gulf of Mexico.
--
Ben

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 15, 2021, 7:24:48 AM9/15/21
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 05:54:42 -0500
I goov they're (in general) bigger, modern industrial size ones than the quaint UK narrowboat canals.

VictoriaB

Sep 15, 2021, 12:27:00 PM9/15/21
Richard Robinson wrote:
> VictoriaB said:
>> ~~~ Thanks anyway John K-M, but it's best to
>> keep things the way they are. Just let them
>> know that they'd be very welcome to join in
>> at 2eggs anytime they want.
>
> Heh. I should have read on first. Never mind.

~~~
No, it's quite alright, and please allow me to
intrude with this one cross-post to share the caff
addy, and thank you Richard, Rusty and the 2 Johns
(sounds like a pron flick) for your
neighborliness. I've enjoyed reading about sheddi
off and on for almost 20 yrs., back when there
were lydies, I remember Bazjello, who also visited
the caff.

Sheddi encouraged me to set up my own she-shed in
a corner of my garage. I put up scarves and quilts
for walls to hide the lawnmower and garden
supplies, and got an easy chair and a lamp. I'd go
there to read or think, or smoke, back when I did.
I was taking care of my ALZ mother and needed a
quiet place. I especially loved to raise the
garage door and watch it rain.

So I understand sanctuaries and don't want to
change the Shed. But please feel free to come over
to the caff for a cuppa, we like to talk about
food, especially brekkie, different cultures,
history, movies, canal boats... and sometimes just
act silly. There used to be more lydies, but
facehook lured 'em away. Maybe you could encourage
yer wimmin to join in.

And BTW, I am not one to "moan" about menfolk,
they're very romantic and eager to please when you
treat them well. I have far more men friends than
women, and still miss my late husband like crazy.
We lived on a horse ranch, bred thoroughbreds and
raced them.

v - a Scot/Irish/AmerIndian Okie, ex-hippie,
ex-horsetrainer, a widow, living alone now...
which is prolly why I talk too much.

https://www.thefarside.com/

RustyHinge

Sep 15, 2021, 12:46:58 PM9/15/21
On 15/09/2021 17:26, VictoriaB wrote:

> v - a Scot/Irish/AmerIndian Okie, ex-hippie,
> ex-horsetrainer, a widow, living alone now...
> which is prolly why I talk too much.

We used to have an Okie in here quite regularly, and of the female
persuasion.

I goove if we were to do a bit of housejbex and polish a few tins we
might attract more of the unfai^h^h^h^fair sex, but it wooden bee The
Shed if we did. We've known about that nail for decades, and we *could
have* made some chairs to replace the bags of hardened cement, but that
wood bee out of character innit.

But we can always get you a cushion out of the dwelling. So do come and
visit us when the whim gras you.

--
Rusty Hinge

VictoriaB

Sep 16, 2021, 6:19:04 AM9/16/21
RustyHinge wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 17:26, VictoriaB wrote:
>
>> v - a Scot/Irish/AmerIndian Okie, ex-hippie,
>> ex-horsetrainer, a widow, living alone now...
>> which is prolly why I talk too much.
>
> We used to have an Okie in here quite
> regularly, and of the female persuasion.
>
> I goove if we were to do a bit of housejbex and
> polish a few tins we might attract more of the
> unfai^h^h^h^fair sex, but it wooden bee The
> Shed if we did. We've known about that nail for
> decades, and we *could have* made some chairs
> to replace the bags of hardened cement, but
> that wood bee out of character innit.
>
> But we can always get you a cushion out of the
> dwelling. So do come and visit us when the
> whim gras you.

~~~
Yoohoo Rusty, I'm back in the caff, and like I
tried to say - it's best if we visit over here.
There's comfy chairs and real coat hooks, and when
Cheerslove is busy I help keep the tables clean.
We're a good group, but anyone without a sense of
humor is at the mercy of the rest of us.

Drop by for a cuppa. I'd like to hear about your
favorite brekkie.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 16, 2021, 12:19:09 PM9/16/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>when
>Cheerslove is busy I help keep the tables clean.

Oooh, I wondered who was doing it.
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Sep 17, 2021, 9:29:29 AM9/17/21
On 04/09/2021 01:04, Sn!pe wrote:
> Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Hi, Ben, it's good to see you. Have you been busy?
>>
>> I have a new computer, and only just got round to reinstalling Agent
>> etc., etc.. Currently downloading the whole content of the caff since
>> 2003! :-)
>
> Addict! (I've done just the same). It's nice to be able to revisit
> the glory days of the Caff.

Butbutbut - hasn't everything gone stale?

('Ello, arSnipe)

Sn!pe

Sep 17, 2021, 12:05:00 PM9/17/21
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 04/09/2021 01:04, Sn!pe wrote:
> > Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

> >> I have a new computer, and only just got round to reinstalling Agent
> >> etc., etc.. Currently downloading the whole content of the caff since
> >> 2003! :-)
> >
> > Addict! (I've done just the same). It's nice to be able to revisit
> > the glory days of the Caff.
> >
> Butbutbut - hasn't everything gone stale?
>
> ('Ello, arSnipe)

Ayup, Corroded One.

No, the Caff of the days of yore is still as lovely as it ever was,
I just wish I could jump back into some of those twenty years old
conversations. The Caff was such a fun place in those days. I've
done the same with the Shed; the temporary erection at the end of
the garden path was magnificent in those long ago days.

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Ben Newsam

Sep 17, 2021, 12:16:56 PM9/17/21
RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
Organisation":

>> the glory days of the Caff.
>>
>Butbutbut - hasn't everything gone stale?

The caffers of old are still around, but hanging out on Facebook for
the most part, and have been for about 10 years. Now that the Troll
seems to have disappeared (for now at least) it is possible that some
of the old, er, denizens I think we were called, might be persuaded to
reappear in here. You never know.
--
Ben

Graeme

Sep 17, 2021, 1:31:32 PM9/17/21
In message <1pfntvd.138joxsivtbs8N%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snip...@gmail.com> writes
>No, the Caff of the days of yore is still as lovely as it ever was,
>I just wish I could jump back into some of those twenty years old
>conversations.

Do you recall, back when you were nowt but a young Sn!pette, discussing
chads and railway stations? No, I thought not :-) Cast your mind back
to 13th July 2000 ;

B.E.N. <b...@microser.demon.co.uk> wibbled :
>Geep Home Of The Brave writes:
>>Did you know that railway modellers greatly regret the passing of
>>punched card? Apparently, the little punched out bits are ideal for use
>>as roof slates. Seriously. Not a lot of people know that.
>
>Indeed, but I bet there's some sad git somewhere who has kept a
>lifetime's supply.

<G> Undoubtedly.

>>Can you *imagine* building just one roof, covered in thousands of the
>>things? How about a large station, or similar?
>
>Eek.

Indeed. I once visited a club where they were building a model
roundhouse (sort of circular engine shed), with a roof, probably 14
inches diameter, covered in thousands of 'em. They had a huge bag of
'em (Chads. Thanks, Sn!pe), a pot of glue and a pin. Anyone who found
life just too exciting would sit for an hour or two, apply a dollop of
glue to the roof, then add slates, one at a time, starting from the
bottom of the roof, ensuring that each row overlapped the one before. A
few of the chads had a corner snipped off, to simulate broken slates ...
--
Geep