The stuff we eat

VictoriaB

Apr 18, 2021, 4:11:57 AM4/18/21
I'll bet that a lot of the stuff we eat got
started with a dare.

Raw oysters, artichokes, Limburger cheese, chicken
feet, gooey duck.

Rocky Mountain Oysters - "Wow, those dangly bits
sure do look delicious!"
https://www.thefarside.com/

Skippy

Apr 18, 2021, 4:57:22 PM4/18/21
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 03:11:51 -0500, VictoriaB wrote:

> I'll bet that a lot of the stuff we eat got
> started with a dare.
>
> Raw oysters, artichokes, Limburger cheese, chicken
> feet, gooey duck.

Yeah, I reckon you're right. I can only remember eating artichoke a few
times and I wasn't impressed. Smelly feet cheese I'd swerve. I had to
google gooey duck which if it is what you mean looks disgusting. Raw
oysters look like snot and chicken feet, no way.

RustyHinge

Sep 17, 2021, 1:28:55 PM9/17/21
On 18/04/2021 09:11, VictoriaB wrote:
> I'll bet that a lot of the stuff we eat got
> started with a dare.
>
> Raw oysters, artichokes, Limburger cheese, chicken
> feet, gooey duck.
>
> Rocky Mountain Oysters - "Wow, those dangly bits
> sure do look delicious!"

Jerusalem artichokes are rather pleasant, but I take your point if you
meant globe variety - that big thistle.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Sep 17, 2021, 1:31:00 PM9/17/21
But kangaroo is rather good.

So is crocodile.

VictoriaB

Sep 17, 2021, 9:33:26 PM9/17/21
RustyHinge wrote:
> On 18/04/2021 21:57, Skippy wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 03:11:51 -0500, VictoriaB
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll bet that a lot of the stuff we eat
>>> got started with a dare.
>>>
>>> Raw oysters, artichokes, Limburger cheese,
>>> chicken feet, gooey duck.
>>
>> Yeah, I reckon you're right. I can only
>> remember eating artichoke a few times and I
>> wasn't impressed. Smelly feet cheese I'd
>> swerve. I had to google gooey duck which if
>> it is what you mean looks disgusting. Raw
>> oysters look like snot and chicken feet, no
>> way.
>>
>>> Rocky Mountain Oysters - "Wow, those dangly
>>> bits sure do look delicious!"
>>
> But kangaroo is rather good.
>
> So is crocodile.

~~~
I've eaten alligator in some New Orleans gumbo...
no, I'm not going to say the chicken thing, but it
wasn't bad.

Not eaten kangaroo, but fried rattlesnake on a
stick was tasty. It was at the Rattlesnake Roundup
they hold here every Spring to keep the numbers
down. Poor ol' rattlers are a timid lot, they
don't go after you unless you go after them.

But you don't want to sit down next to one on a
swimming pool step!
https://www.thefarside.com/

Adrian

Sep 18, 2021, 6:32:22 AM9/18/21
Or perhaps the stuff we don't eat.

Reading the morning paper, there was an article about a survey carried
out by a supermarket amongst their customers in the under 30 age group.
40% had never heard of Toad in the Hole (some thought it was made of
toad and potato) or Spotted Dick (was that a made up name ?).

Am I right in fearing for the future of civilisation ? Should we be
asking for a couple of additions to the menu ?

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

RustyHinge

Sep 18, 2021, 10:00:22 AM9/18/21
On 18/09/2021 11:29, Adrian wrote:
> Or perhaps the stuff we don't eat.
>
> Reading the morning paper, there was an article about a survey carried
> out by a supermarket amongst their customers in the under 30 age group.
> 40% had never heard of Toad in the Hole (some thought it was made of
> toad and potato) or Spotted Dick (was that a made up name ?).
>
> Am I right in fearing for the future of civilisation ?  Should we be
> asking for a couple of additions to the menu ?

Just ask what lobscouse is, or how to make a faggot (!). Ask what a
'slider' is, partin peas or a Pope's eye steak. More unfairly, marag
dhubh, marag geall, or marag milis.

Even more unfairly (especially as I'm not sure how to spell it) ceann
cropig (pronounced keown cropig). This is, or was a standard companion
to cod, ling, saithe or lithe and boiled potato. It is made by mashing
fish livers (cod family for preference) with medium oatmeal, with a
little salt and pepper, stuffing the dough into a big cod's head (or if
you must, a basin) and boiling it as you would a pudding.

While it sounds pretty disgusting, especially when you add that it is
rather like a blend of porage with cod-liver oil, it really is delicious
when taken with steamed cod and mashed potato.

Another thing you don't see much these days is a pudding made by boiling
a bunch of carrageen (or ground dried carrageen) in milk with a grating
of nutmeg. This Irish dish makes a stiff jeely rather like a butch
blancmange - if you drop a spoonful it doesn't ->splat<- it bounces.
Good with fresh double cream and jam.

VictoriaB

Sep 18, 2021, 11:22:44 AM9/18/21
Adrian wrote:
> Or perhaps the stuff we don't eat.
>
> Reading the morning paper, there was an article
> about a survey carried out by a supermarket
> amongst their customers in the under 30 age
> group. 40% had never heard of Toad in the Hole
> (some thought it was made of toad and potato)
> or Spotted Dick (was that a made up name ?).
>
> Am I right in fearing for the future of
> civilisation ? Should we be asking for a
> couple of additions to the menu ?

~~~
Maybe we should... it would be a shame if young
people didn't know their food history.

LOL, toad and a potato!

I only know what Bubble and Squeak, Toad in the
Hole and Spotted Dick is because I used to have a
British roomie. She cooked a lot of Bubble and
Squeak right before payday, and I cooked a lot of
pinto beans and cornbread.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 18, 2021, 11:57:39 AM9/18/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>I only know what Bubble and Squeak, Toad in the
>Hole and Spotted Dick is because I used to have a
>British roomie. She cooked a lot of Bubble and
>Squeak right before payday, and I cooked a lot of
>pinto beans and cornbread.

Then there's Jam Roly-Poly, that we used to call Baked Baby.
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Sep 19, 2021, 4:08:36 AM9/19/21
We had a speciality called 'Mother's Dustbin Soup'. Weekends usually
produced portions of *proper* gravy which when cold, had to br mined,
scraps and bones from the joint, vegetables &c.

The bones and some unappetising scraps would be boiled a long time with
<Snipe>On!ons</Snipe> and garlic for stock, vegetables chopped and
diced. this and the gravy would be amalgamated in a big pot on the Aga,
scraps of the joint cut to a sensible size, other orphaned bits and
pieces thrown in, with fresh ingredients where some element was missing
- eg not enough veg would prompt the addition of say, carrots, parsnip,
tomatoes and pulses.

This was often enhanced with herbs and black pepper, maybe a touch of
fenugreek and cumin.

I often make it myself, though I have to resort to a bit of cheating and
a can-opener sometimes.

VictoriaB

Sep 20, 2021, 7:56:54 AM9/20/21
~~~
Bubble and Squeak sure didn't cost much - a head
of cabbage, an onion and a few potatoes were under
a dollar in the 70's. We used bacon drippings to
fry it and it smelled so good... we also used
every bit of edible leftovers in the fridge. She
used to laugh at my B&S patties which were easier
to keep turning.

Now I'm remembering a time decades later when I
first married hubby CB and lived on the horse
farm. I had cleaned out all the fridge leftovers -
blueberry muffins, mac and cheese, peas and
spaghetti - and was boiling it in a big pot with
some turkey necks for good gravy stuff to pour
over the farm dogs dry food.

He came home from our restaurant to fetch
something and stopped in the kitchen to lift the
lid, and jokester that I am, I called out that I
was trying a new recipe. He didn't say a word,
just hurried back to the bedroom and I was
laughing so hard I couldn't talk when he yelled
out, "Hey let's eat out tonight!"

v - he was always the better cook
--
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 20, 2021, 7:58:39 AM9/20/21
~~~
So it's jam rolled up and baked in dough, served
in bowls with custard... sounds good to me.

Couldn't find anything on Baked Baby.

v - don't go bacon my heart...

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 20, 2021, 2:11:44 PM9/20/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>So it's jam rolled up and baked in dough, served
>in bowls with custard... sounds good to me.

My recollection is that it was a suet pudding rather than cake or
bread, BICBW
--
Ben

Adrian

Sep 20, 2021, 4:36:10 PM9/20/21
In message <fljhkgd6goeqtcljs...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
Suet pudding is what was used for the jam roly poly that I used to eat.

VictoriaB

Sep 21, 2021, 12:46:06 PM9/21/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message
> <fljhkgd6goeqtcljs...@4ax.com>,
> Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes
>> VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization
>> header says "Aioe.org NNTP Server":
>>
>>> So it's jam rolled up and baked in dough,
>>> served in bowls with custard... sounds good
>>> to me.
>>
>> My recollection is that it was a suet pudding
>> rather than cake or bread, BICBW
>
> Suet pudding is what was used for the jam roly
> poly that I used to eat.
>
> Adrian
~~~
Thanks fellows, I think suet is kin to the lard
that my Gran swore made the best ever pie crusts
and hot biscuits (not cookies).

I think she made laundry soap out of it too...
used on a metal rub board.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 21, 2021, 1:39:32 PM9/21/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>Thanks fellows, I think suet is kin to the lard
>that my Gran swore made the best ever pie crusts
>and hot biscuits (not cookies).
>
>I think she made laundry soap out of it too...
>used on a metal rub board.

Suet is the hard fat that is found round the kidneys. You can buy it
shredded in smallish cardboard boxes, which always seems an odd way to
buy fat.
--
Ben

Graeme

Sep 22, 2021, 1:25:33 PM9/22/21
In message <h06kkgdkqv0q3peqf...@4ax.com>, Ben Newsam
<gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes

>Suet is the hard fat that is found round the kidneys. You can buy it
>shredded in smallish cardboard boxes, which always seems an odd way to
>buy fat.

Atora! Crikey, that takes me back. And yes, proper jam roly poly uses
suet, or did, back in the day.
--
Geep

RustyHinge

Sep 22, 2021, 5:00:37 PM9/22/21
Still does, and I make dumplings to cook in my stews.

Mike Fleming

Sep 22, 2021, 6:23:14 PM9/22/21
On 22/09/2021 18:25, Graeme wrote:
I remember the former SWMBO making some dumplings with Atora (as you do)
and them tasting rather odd. When we looked at the packet, it was eight
years out of date.

Ben Newsam

Sep 23, 2021, 5:05:49 AM9/23/21
Graeme wrote, though the Organization header says "A noiseless patient
Spider":
Still available:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=atora
--
Ben

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 23, 2021, 6:30:02 AM9/23/21
On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:39:29 +0100
Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

> Suet is the hard fat that is found round the kidneys.

There is also a vegetable version (more common in these parts for
some reason) that makes perfectly good dumplings - perhaps better than the
original does.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

VictoriaB

Sep 23, 2021, 8:19:22 AM9/23/21
~~~
Veggie suet? Me no understand. If no kidneys are
used...

https://www.thefarside.com/

RustyHinge

Sep 23, 2021, 9:16:19 AM9/23/21
I have a box within reach.

RustyHinge

Sep 23, 2021, 9:18:25 AM9/23/21
Horrid stuff: prolly makes OK candles.

RustyHinge

Sep 23, 2021, 9:19:41 AM9/23/21
On 23/09/2021 11:13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:39:29 +0100
> Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Suet is the hard fat that is found round the kidneys.
>
> There is also a vegetable version (more common in these parts for
> some reason) that makes perfectly good dumplings - perhaps better than the
> original does.

Softer and flavourless.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 23, 2021, 10:00:02 AM9/23/21
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 14:19:39 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 23/09/2021 11:13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:39:29 +0100
> > Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Suet is the hard fat that is found round the kidneys.
> >
> > There is also a vegetable version (more common in these parts
> > for some reason) that makes perfectly good dumplings - perhaps better
> > than the original does.
> >
> Softer and flavourless.

Ah, my dumplings are quite well seasoned, with wholegrain mustard
among other things, so the lack of flavour in the suet doesn't have a
noticeable effect on the result.

RustyHinge

Sep 23, 2021, 10:08:29 AM9/23/21
On 23/09/2021 14:48, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 14:19:39 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 23/09/2021 11:13, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

>>> There is also a vegetable version (more common in these parts
>>> for some reason) that makes perfectly good dumplings - perhaps better
>>> than the original does.
>>>
>> Softer and flavourless.
>
> Ah, my dumplings are quite well seasoned, with wholegrain mustard
> among other things, so the lack of flavour in the suet doesn't have a
> noticeable effect on the result.

I tend to put in (not Putin) fenugreek, cumin, ground celery seed and
similar, and I *still* notice.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 23, 2021, 11:30:01 AM9/23/21
On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 15:08:26 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> I tend to put in (not Putin) fenugreek, cumin, ground celery seed and
> similar, and I *still* notice.

Yes but you taste the paper if top quality tea is placed in
bags.

<meanders off mumbling about super sensitive palates>

Ben Newsam

Sep 23, 2021, 12:20:06 PM9/23/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>Ben Newsam wrote:
>> Still available:
>>
>> https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=atora

>Veggie suet? Me no understand. If no kidneys are
>used...

Me neither. You can actually buy "vegan meat" too. Who knew?
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Sep 23, 2021, 12:46:50 PM9/23/21
On 23/09/2021 16:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Sep 2021 15:08:26 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I tend to put in (not Putin) fenugreek, cumin, ground celery seed and
>> similar, and I *still* notice.
>
> Yes but you taste the paper if top quality tea is placed in
> bags.
>
> <meanders off mumbling about super sensitive palates>

Since I had covid I'm not so sure: I can't tast the phenolics in what
*was* my joint favourite whisky (Laphroaig) and the other joint
favourite tastes rough to me now, and I'm beginning to prefer Flor de
Caña (Nicorahwan ron) and it hurts. Likewise, the blend of tea I've been
drinking/making since early 1970s doesn't taste the same. The taste of
paper in teabags is accentuated, admmti, and the cloying sweetness of
manurefractured sweeteners isn't quite so obtrusive.

You're winsome, you're loathesome.

VictoriaB

Sep 24, 2021, 5:56:49 AM9/24/21
RustyHinge wrote:
> On 23/09/2021 13:19, VictoriaB wrote:
>> Ben Newsam wrote:
>>> Graeme wrote, though the Organization header
>>> says "A noiseless patient Spider":

>> Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> writes

>>> Still available:
>>>
>>> https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=atora
>>>

>> ~~~
>> Veggie suet? Me no understand. If no kidneys are
>> used...
>
> Horrid stuff: prolly makes OK candles.

~~~
Maybe caulk yer bathroom tiles?

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 24, 2021, 5:57:06 AM9/24/21
~~~
A vegan friend of mine can grill a mean bean and
mushroom burger. No, it's not meat but very tasty
to us'ins who don't eat a lot of red meat.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 24, 2021, 6:47:25 AM9/24/21
Quite; there's no excuse for eating meat "cos veggie's taste bland".

Actually there's a lot of reasons to not eat meat. Salmonella being just one of 'em

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Ben Newsam

Sep 24, 2021, 10:16:23 AM9/24/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>A vegan friend of mine can grill a mean bean and
>mushroom burger. No, it's not meat but very tasty
>to us'ins who don't eat a lot of red meat.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against a plant-based diet, and I
know that, in the future, we will all have to eat a lot less meat. I
prefer to remain an omnivore though, and I really do object to being
told what I "must" or "must not" eat. And don't get me started on
those veggie/vegan people who won't eat anything out of a (washed) pan
that has once been used to cook meat in case a stray molecule of
animal pollutes their precious bodies. That is just fussiness and
Picky Eating, IMO. Don't they realise that they probably swallow a
small spider or two just by sleeping with their mouths open?
--
Ben

John Williamson

Sep 24, 2021, 10:45:41 AM9/24/21
Veggie food can be nice, and sometimes ends up on the menu here.
Spaghetti Bolognese made using TVP is not nice, but a decent mushroom
Stroganoff or braised Tofu in sauce is NOM!. <Grin> I once asked a guide
who knew me well to bring some tofu in sauce as a takeaway for a change,
and was asked "When did you turn veggie?" So I explained I hadn't.

What does not get through the door is veggie stuff pretending to be
meat, as it's nothing like the real thing in either taste or texture.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 24, 2021, 11:00:01 AM9/24/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:16:21 +0100
Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against a plant-based diet, and I
> know that, in the future, we will all have to eat a lot less meat. I
> prefer to remain an omnivore though, and I really do object to being
> told what I "must" or "must not" eat.

From what I've seen there seem to be the following categories:

vegetarianism: A personal dietary choice
veganism: A personal dietary choice (rare breed)
veganism: A way of life, applies to everything not just diet (more common)
veganism: A proselytising religion thick with intolerance (disturbingly
common)

Personally I'm a vegetarian and AFAIC you should and eat whatever
you like just as I do and that you should probably not care what I or
anyone else thinks about what you eat (I don't).

I've tried to convince some vegans (type 3) that they'd get a lot
more respect for their position if they showed some for other people's
positions.

I still have trouble with the concept of vegetarian black pudding.
Yes it does exist. I have no idea what it consists of and I don't think I
want to know.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Ben Newsam

Sep 24, 2021, 12:16:10 PM9/24/21
Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote, though the Organization header says "A
noiseless patient Spider":

> I still have trouble with the concept of vegetarian black pudding.
>Yes it does exist. I have no idea what it consists of and I don't think I
>want to know.

Indeed <grin>. Unlikely to be worse than what is in the real thing, I
would have thought.
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Sep 24, 2021, 12:19:56 PM9/24/21
I do use TVP and I've just remembered I have a pack of Quorn in the
fridge which ought to get et. The TVP I bought 'cos it's handy when the
freezer's lacking something better, but the Quorn... one of the Agency's
carers goes shopping for me 'cos I can't walk ATM and I put on my
shopping-list 'textured soya protein mince'. no need to point out that
Quorn is derived from a fungus or maybe more than one - I don't like it
and I'm surprised said carer hadn't heard of my soya protein granules.

I also use other veggie ingredients - cabbage, potato, carrots, celery,
ugh! I didn't notice that caterpillar! lettuce, tomatoes, not to mention
bread.

I'll quite happily eat a totall vegetarian or vegan meal, but don't ask
me, an animal equipped with canine teeth, to eschew part of my natural diet.

RustyHinge

Sep 24, 2021, 12:21:51 PM9/24/21
Or why.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 24, 2021, 12:49:20 PM9/24/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:54:32 +0100
Ahem A Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:16:21 +0100
> Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against a plant-based diet, and I
> > know that, in the future, we will all have to eat a lot less meat. I
> > prefer to remain an omnivore though, and I really do object to being
> > told what I "must" or "must not" eat.
>
> From what I've seen there seem to be the following categories:
>
> vegetarianism: A personal dietary choice
> veganism: A personal dietary choice (rare breed)
> veganism: A way of life, applies to everything not just diet (more
> common) veganism: A proselytising religion thick with intolerance
> (disturbingly common)
>
> Personally I'm a vegetarian and AFAIC you should and eat
> whatever you like just as I do and that you should probably not care
> what I or anyone else thinks about what you eat (I don't).

Vegetarians are the worst; they're neither flesh nor fowl to use a rather ironic phrase.
OK, I don't mean it that strongly but it is an inconsistent position. (Look up milk production and egg-farms).

> I've tried to convince some vegans (type 3) that they'd get a
> lot more respect for their position if they showed some for other
> people's positions.
>
> I still have trouble with the concept of vegetarian black
> pudding. Yes it does exist. I have no idea what it consists of and I
> don't think I want to know.

I've never met a type 3. Maybe they're either a strawman put about by meateaters who find themselves on poor moral grounds, or a person acting type 3 has just recently "converted" and is acting like Saul/Paul did.

Should a movement be condemned for the actions of an extreme few?

FU to alt.noeggs.vegansos.beans(if-lactose-free).mushrooms.fried-tomato.2toast(puremarge).largetea(black).cheerslove

maybe?

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 24, 2021, 1:00:02 PM9/24/21
Well quite, it's hard to imagine someone waking up with the idea
that vegetarians (let alone vegans) must be missing the taste of dried blood
and then being convincing enough about it to get the stuff on sale, and
finally being right enough about it that the stuff clearly does sell.

The whirled is a strange plaice.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 24, 2021, 1:00:02 PM9/24/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:45:39 +0100
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> What does not get through the door is veggie stuff pretending to be
> meat, as it's nothing like the real thing in either taste or texture.

There is one exception (and only one to my knowledge) Denny meat
free sausages taste and feel just like their (typical supermarket) pork
sausages the only giveaway is the complete absence of gristle. I suppose it
goes to show that the meat is not a significant contributor to the taste or
texture of a typical supermarket sausage but nobody else manages it, most
of the rest seem to owe parentage to sage and on!on stuffing.

Adrian

Sep 24, 2021, 1:12:32 PM9/24/21
In message <ir66kk...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> writes
>Veggie food can be nice, and sometimes ends up on the menu here.
>Spaghetti Bolognese made using TVP is not nice, but a decent mushroom
>Stroganoff or braised Tofu in sauce is NOM!. <Grin> I once asked a
>guide who knew me well to bring some tofu in sauce as a takeaway for a
>change, and was asked "When did you turn veggie?" So I explained I hadn't.

I have been known to select the veggie option on the menu above the meat
option if it looks as though it will be something tasty (the
aforementioned mushroom stroganoff being one of them).

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

Adrian

Sep 24, 2021, 1:12:33 PM9/24/21
In message <20210924174701.7652...@eircom.net>, Ahem A
Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> writes
> The whirled is a strange plaice.

There is something distinctly fishy about it.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 24, 2021, 1:30:01 PM9/24/21
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 17:49:19 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> OK, I don't mean it that strongly but it is an inconsistent position.
> (Look up milk production and egg-farms).

Not really, it just doesn't have the same basis for me that that
would imply. Personal dietary choice see.

Anyway where is it writ that I have to be consistent - that would
be boring.

Mike Fleming

Sep 24, 2021, 5:29:00 PM9/24/21
Ingredients are on this page, but not on the front tab so you can avoid
a spoiler:

https://www.buryblackpuddings.co.uk/products/vegetarian-black-pudding/

Ben Newsam

Sep 24, 2021, 8:00:25 PM9/24/21
Kerr-Mudd, John wrote, though the Organization header says "Dis":
Oh, I have. I am very suspicious of anyone who has been converted to
anything.

>Should a movement be condemned for the actions of an extreme few?

If it's a movement, then frankly yes.
--
Ben

VictoriaB

Sep 25, 2021, 6:15:31 AM9/25/21
~~~
The thing with me is eating the flesh of a fellow
creature. I once saw a newborn calf frolicking
around his mother, umbilical cord flying...
bucking, filled with the joy of being alive.

The older I grow the more it bothers me... I'm
down for a little bacon or ham once in a while,
but eat mostly fowl and fish for protein. I like
to think that chickens and cows have a job -
giving us eggs, milk and cheese... and I guess
when they die of old age it's okay to eat them.
Slaughterhouses are awful awful places.

Thank goodness my veggie friends aren't crazy and
will eat eggs and cheese. Especially since we're
starting to have dinner parties again.
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 25, 2021, 6:16:01 AM9/25/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message <ir66kk...@mid.individual.net>,
> John Williamson
> <johnwil...@btinternet.com> writes
>> Veggie food can be nice, and sometimes ends
>> up on the menu here. Spaghetti Bolognese made
>> using TVP is not nice, but a decent mushroom
>> Stroganoff or braised Tofu in sauce is NOM!.
>> <Grin> I once asked a guide who knew me well
>> to bring some tofu in sauce as a takeaway for
>> a change, and was asked "When did you turn
>> veggie?" So I explained I hadn't.
>
> I have been known to select the veggie option
> on the menu above the meat option if it looks
> as though it will be something tasty (the
> aforementioned mushroom stroganoff being one of
> them).

~~~
I also like Mushroom Stroganoff... wiv lots of
leeks, garlic, cream and white wine... over egg
noodles.

Hey Adrian, where've you been?

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 25, 2021, 6:16:20 AM9/25/21
Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2021 15:54:32 +0100 Ahem A
> Rivet's Shot <ste...@eircom.net> wrote:
[..]

>> I still have trouble with the concept of
>> vegetarian black pudding. Yes it does exist.
>> I have no idea what it consists of and I
>> don't think I want to know.
>>

> I've never met a type 3. Maybe they're either a
> strawman put about by meateaters who find
> themselves on poor moral grounds, or a person
> acting type 3 has just recently "converted" and
> is acting like Saul/Paul did.
>
> Should a movement be condemned for the actions
> of an extreme few?
>
> FU to
> alt.noeggs.vegansos.beans(if-lactose-free).mushrooms.fried-tomato.2toast(puremarge).largetea(black).cheerslove
>
> maybe?

~~~~~
Oh no Cheerslove, avert your eyes!

https://www.thefarside.com/

Adrian

Sep 25, 2021, 6:48:24 AM9/25/21
In message <simssv$9q8$4...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>I also like Mushroom Stroganoff... wiv lots of
>leeks, garlic, cream and white wine... over egg
>noodles.

Just with rice for me thanks.

>Hey Adrian, where've you been?

At home :-)

I work on the theory that a wise man (or woman) speaks when they have
something to say. A fool speaks when they have to say something. I'll
leave it for others to work out which I am.

VictoriaB

Sep 26, 2021, 6:00:37 AM9/26/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message <simssv$9q8$4...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>> I also like Mushroom Stroganoff... wiv lots
>> of leeks, garlic, cream and white wine...
>> over egg noodles.
>
> Just with rice for me thanks.
>
>> Hey Adrian, where've you been?
>
> At home :-)
>
> I work on the theory that a wise man (or
> woman) speaks when they have something to say.
> A fool speaks when they have to say something.
> I'll leave it for others to work out which I
> am.

~~~~
Good one! Are there any foolish wise men?

But thank goodness for fools, or surely newsgroups
would die out.

I think we are all wise in our own way.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Adrian

Sep 26, 2021, 7:07:33 AM9/26/21
In message <sipgc3$1qao$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>But thank goodness for fools, or surely newsgroups
>would die out.

<looks around at some of the regulars>

Be careful in what you wish for.

VictoriaB

Sep 27, 2021, 6:02:07 AM9/27/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message <sipgc3$1qao$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
> VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>> But thank goodness for fools, or surely
>> newsgroups would die out.
>>

> <looks around at some of the regulars>
>
> Be careful in what you wish for.

~~~
;) "You can't always get what you want... but if
you try sometimes, well, you might find you get
what you need."

https://www.thefarside.com/

Adrian

Sep 27, 2021, 1:12:39 PM9/27/21
In message <sis4qu$124q$5...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>;) "You can't always get what you want... but if
>you try sometimes, well, you might find you get
>what you need."

:-)

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 27, 2021, 2:30:39 PM9/27/21
On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:57:50 +0100
Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <sis4qu$124q$5...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
> <prair...@privacy.com> writes
> >;) "You can't always get what you want... but if
> >you try sometimes, well, you might find you get
> >what you need."

Sing it!

> :-)
>
> Adrian
> --
> To Reply :
> replace "bulleid" with "adrian" - all mail to bulleid is rejected
> Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
> Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.

VictoriaB

Sep 28, 2021, 5:04:53 AM9/28/21
Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 17:57:50 +0100 Adrian
> <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
>
>> In message <sis4qu$124q$5...@gioia.aioe.org>,
>> VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> writes
>>> ;) "You can't always get what you want...
>>> but if you try sometimes, well, you might
>>> find you get what you need."
>>>

> Sing it!

~~~
I will if you'll accompany me on the gee-tar!

I used to sing with jazz band friends who played
the clubs where I tended bar. But I'm very shy in
front of strangers.

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 28, 2021, 9:41:54 AM9/28/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>I used to sing with jazz band friends who played
>the clubs where I tended bar. But I'm very shy in
>front of strangers.

We're not strangers!
--
Ben

John Williamson

Sep 28, 2021, 10:40:31 AM9/28/21
<Carefully checks spelling> :-)

VictoriaB

Sep 29, 2021, 6:11:12 AM9/29/21
~~~
;) I was good friends with the band - got 'em the
gig AAMOF - and they knew how to accompany me.
This is the song the customers always requested.
Now I'm old, but not that old... it was on the
jukebox and I loved it, knew it by heart. I love
ballads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwftoLQxnVk

v - just remembered when the caff recorded
greetings on WAV thingies ... and I sang Happy
Birthday ala Marilyn Monroe to Reverend Shadow

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Sep 29, 2021, 6:12:29 AM9/29/21
~~~
Heheh... lookin' for that "L" were ya?
https://www.thefarside.com/

John Williamson

Sep 29, 2021, 8:19:55 AM9/29/21
Something like that. ;-)

Ben Newsam

Sep 29, 2021, 8:47:00 AM9/29/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>v - just remembered when the caff recorded
>greetings on WAV thingies ... and I sang Happy
>Birthday ala Marilyn Monroe to Reverend Shadow

I still have them somewhere
--
Ben

VictoriaB

Sep 30, 2021, 6:04:26 AM9/30/21
~~~
Good gosh! Do you still have any pictures?

https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Sep 30, 2021, 8:43:33 AM9/30/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>Ben Newsam wrote:
>> VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
>> Server":
>>
>>> v - just remembered when the caff recorded
>>> greetings on WAV thingies ... and I sang Happy
>>> Birthday ala Marilyn Monroe to Reverend Shadow
>>
>> I still have them somewhere
>>
>~~~
>Good gosh! Do you still have any pictures?
Er... possibly. Might be rather hard to find though
--
Ben

Sn!pe

Sep 30, 2021, 8:58:30 AM9/30/21
Ben Newsam <gu...@bennewsam.co.uk> wrote:

> VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
> Server":
>
> >Ben Newsam wrote:
> >> VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
> >> Server":

> >> I still have them somewhere
> >>
> >~~~
> >Good gosh! Do you still have any pictures?
> Er... possibly. Might be rather hard to find though

I stumbled across my copy of the 'Music To Watch Grils By' CD
a little while ago; I can't quite remember where it was, though...

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

John Williamson

Sep 30, 2021, 10:05:40 AM9/30/21
On 30/09/2021 13:58, Sn!pe wrote:

> I stumbled across my copy of the 'Music To Watch Grils By' CD
> a little while ago; I can't quite remember where it was, though...

F:\Music\Music\Various - Music to watch grils by. (The original is in a
friend's attic, safe until I move off the boat back onto land)

Sn!pe

Sep 30, 2021, 10:23:36 AM9/30/21
Aha! I spy a Windoze user!
My Mac doesn't have a drive F:, nor yet slackbashes* in the Path.

* Neither, for that matter, does it have "forward slashes".
Curse you, BBC, for that abomination! [shakes fist]

John Williamson

Sep 30, 2021, 10:34:43 AM9/30/21
On 30/09/2021 15:23, Sn!pe wrote:

> Aha! I spy a Windoze user!
> My Mac doesn't have a drive F:, nor yet slackbashes* in the Path.
>

> * Neither, for that matter, does it have "forward slashes".
> Curse you, BBC, for that abomination! [shakes fist]

When I boot into Linux, it is usr/home/windows/music/music/various -
music to watch grils by.

The forward "slash" predates the BBC computer and their interest in
computers by a long way. I blame the Septics....

Sn!pe

Sep 30, 2021, 11:24:46 AM9/30/21
Indeed, but because so many people confused "backslash" with "slash"
some BBC berk coined the neologism "forward slash", which character
simply does not exist. I still hear this folly perpetrated to this day,
it always sets my teeth on edge. [slash, burn, murder, mayhem!...]

VictoriaB

Sep 30, 2021, 11:56:23 AM9/30/21
John Williamson wrote:
[..]
> The forward "slash" predates the BBC computer
> and their interest in computers by a long way.
> I blame the Septics....

~~~~
Ah, a little snarky rhyming slang ... do you want
to step outside for a knuckle sandwich Mr.
Wisenheimer? ;)

https://www.thefarside.com/

John Williamson

Sep 30, 2021, 2:31:21 PM9/30/21
On 30/09/2021 16:56, VictoriaB wrote:
> John Williamson wrote:
> [..]
>> The forward "slash" predates the BBC computer
>> and their interest in computers by a long way.
>> I blame the Septics....
>>
> ~~~~
> Ah, a little snarky rhyming slang ... do you want
> to step outside for a knuckle sandwich Mr.
> Wisenheimer? ;)

Nah, you're okay. There's a touch too much gristle in those for my
taste. Thanks for the offer, though. :-)

Kerr-Mudd, John

Sep 30, 2021, 2:59:15 PM9/30/21
How do you feel about "train station"?
or "PIN Number"?

Adrian

Sep 30, 2021, 3:14:04 PM9/30/21
In message <20210930190326.a49b...@127.0.0.1>,
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> writes
>How do you feel about "train station"?
>or "PIN Number"?

<reaches for shot gnu>

Sn!pe

Sep 30, 2021, 3:20:09 PM9/30/21
Hah, pettifogging and tautologies are small beer
compared to the abominable "forward slash".

RustyHinge

Sep 30, 2021, 3:25:59 PM9/30/21
I get ot under the collar about 'train' being used wen 'railway' should
be. I try yo avoid tortologies TAAAW - oops!

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Sep 30, 2021, 3:29:01 PM9/30/21
Difficult for us ♂s to do otherwise

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Sep 30, 2021, 3:30:01 PM9/30/21
On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:03:26 +0100
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

> How do you feel about "train station"?

That is at least consistent with "bus station" and therefore
understandable.

> or "PIN Number"?

You need it to use the ATM Machine.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Sn!pe

Sep 30, 2021, 3:42:12 PM9/30/21
> Difficult for us ?s to do otherwise

Are you taking the mickey?

RustyHinge

Sep 30, 2021, 4:06:38 PM9/30/21
On 30/09/2021 20:03, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:03:26 +0100
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>> How do you feel about "train station"?
>
> That is at least consistent with "bus station" and therefore
> understandable.

The omnibus terminus?

>> or "PIN Number"?
>
> You need it to use the ATM Machine.

I use the AT machine, maybe., but more often I would use the ATM if I
could get to one.

Adrian

Sep 30, 2021, 4:24:15 PM9/30/21
In message <sj55cb$ua1$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>On 30/09/2021 20:03, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:03:26 +0100
>> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>
>>> How do you feel about "train station"?
>> That is at least consistent with "bus station" and therefore
>> understandable.
>
>The omnibus terminus?

Charabanc terminus ?

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 1, 2021, 4:24:06 AM10/1/21
I'm in trap seven....

VictoriaB

Oct 1, 2021, 6:29:10 AM10/1/21
~~~
Yes! I still have mine around here somewhere! Mike
the chef put it together.

v - used to be so jealous of all the caff "meets."

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Oct 1, 2021, 7:19:14 AM10/1/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>v - used to be so jealous of all the caff "meets."

We still have them. Sort of. We've had a few meets here in Sheffield,
but not for a few years now. About time I called another one....
--
Ben

VictoriaB

Oct 1, 2021, 7:30:37 AM10/1/21
~~~
T'would be loverly if you shared piccies.

https://www.thefarside.com/