WHO LOVES A FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST???

1 view

Dezzy

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
tea!!!!!!

Vivianne

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
<d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........

>Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>tea!!!!!!

OK. But no blood in my tea please.

--
"We aliens, set apart, reach only with fantasies"

Neil Kearns

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
<d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> writes

>Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>tea!!!!!!

I've always despised Black Pudding.

White Pudding rocks a fat one, however.

Hello!

#"and you see, i kind of shivered to conformity. did you see, the way i cowered
to authority? you see, my life it's a series of compromises anyway. it's a sham
and i'm conditioned to accept it all you see." - mansun, six #
"You is stupid man, Oasis is rank." - The Digitiser Snakes

x-e

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
In article <RAFM8QAU...@kearns.demon.co.uk>, Neil Kearns
<n...@kearns.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise

>In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
><d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>>pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>>tea!!!!!!
>
>I've always despised Black Pudding.

i cuss your steeeeenkin bloody pudding. sir.
--
_ _(#) __ | "Floating upon the surface for the buzz"
\/ _ /__\ | ICQ 3145974 amr site http://www.theparsonage.demon.co.uk

x-e

Sep 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/29/98
In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
<d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise

>Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>tea!!!!!!

or coffee, depending on your fancy.

marmite can be good too, if you have a hangover.

Dimmer

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Neil Kearns <n...@kearns.demon.co.uk> inscribed with their finger in the
frying pan fat:

>In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
><d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> writes

>>Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>>pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>>tea!!!!!!
>
>I've always despised Black Pudding.
>
>White Pudding rocks a fat one, however.
>
>Hello!

wey hey...

The first person I recall mentioning the fab white pudding.

U R indeed welcome.

I aint had the stuff for over 10 years, but it was damn good IIRC.

Hello to u too. Grab a chair, cuppa's on its way.
--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)
Arse Candle - Everybody Should Have One

Simon J. Francomb

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
On 30 Sep 1998 04:44:04 GMT, "Nancy" <ncm...@aol.com> wrote:

>x-e <x...@geocities.com> wrote in article
><kwmz00A0...@theparsonage.demon.co.uk>...

>> In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy

>> <d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise

>> >Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>> >pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>> >tea!!!!!!
>

>Tell this poor lurker, please? what sort of beans?

Baked
> I am *choke, cough,
>blush* American.

That's OK, as long as you don't mind being called Merkan.

> And, very important, are the sausages links or patties?
Links. Patties aren't sausages.

>Tomatoes raw or fried?
Which would you prefer? We have both.
> Please excuse my Yank ignorance.

Consider it excused.

> Do your part to
>help introduce an American to culture? (After all, we almost speak the same
>language, right?)

Errm.. No. Not right, but nearly

> Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?

Indeed. Except we prefer to call it fried.

>And the bacon, thick slices or thin?

Again, we have both.

HTH

Si

Dr.Strange,Love!

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
RIGHT!! "Her name was McGill; she called herself Lil; but everyone knew
her as NANCY!"

You're not my little fuzz-pot, LILPEACH, in disguise, are you??

As recently nominated by the Eggadamey of Ovoid Eggsellence for the title
of "Father of Modern Eggsistentialism", and a Merkan , I shall endeavor to
address some of your questions.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Eggsactly!

4. Never!!

Waiting patiently for recognition
from the Eggademy,

DSL (Resident Egghead)

Nancy wrote in message <01bdec2d$3a5b7e40$bc41450c@computername>...

>x-e <x...@geocities.com> wrote in article
><kwmz00A0...@theparsonage.demon.co.uk>...
>> In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
>> <d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise
>> >Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>> >pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>> >tea!!!!!!
>

>Tell this poor lurker, please? what sort of beans? I am *choke, cough,
>blush* American. And, very important, are the sausages links or patties?
>Tomatoes raw or fried? Please excuse my Yank ignorance. Do your part to

>help introduce an American to culture? (After all, we almost speak the same

>language, right?) Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?

Dr.Strange,Love!

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

Nancy wrote in message <01bdec2d$3a5b7e40$bc41450c@computername>...

>x-e <x...@geocities.com> wrote in article
><kwmz00A0...@theparsonage.demon.co.uk>...
>> In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
>> <d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise
>> >Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>> >pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>> >tea!!!!!!
>
>Tell this poor lurker, please? what sort of beans?

Heinz Vegetarian - saw them in the market last night - although the American
version MAY not have as much sugar as the English version.

I am *choke, cough,
>blush* American. And, very important, are the sausages links or patties?

Links, bangers, snorkers, I love Cumberland sausage. Do you live
anywhere near NYC?
>Tomatoes raw or fried?

Me Mum sometimes fries thick slices of tomato in the bacaon drippings.
They can also be broiled - but not as much flavor. Red tomatoes, NOT
green!!

Please excuse my Yank ignorance. Do your part to
>help introduce an American to culture? (After all, we almost speak the same
>language, right?) Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?

I'll leave this one to our resident fungal expert, Dimmer.

>And the bacon, thick slices or thin?
>

>I think thick slices are the tradition - even with the rind still on. Used
to be that you couldn't get that type of bacon in Merka, but times have
changed!!

DSL (Resident Egghead)

Dr.Strange,Love!

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
That's the PULLETZER, in case you were wondering!

Lizz Holmans

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> writes

>Tell this poor lurker, please? what sort of beans? I am *choke, cough,

>blush* American. And, very important, are the sausages links or patties?

>Tomatoes raw or fried? Please excuse my Yank ignorance. Do your part to

>help introduce an American to culture? (After all, we almost speak the same
>language, right?) Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?

>And the bacon, thick slices or thin?

Fear not! I am an American, married to an Englishman, and have been
resident in this country for well over a year. The language isn't too
hard. I'll give you a quick glossary--

Sausages for breakfast are almost always link sausage. There are several
different kinds: plain old, wild boar with apples, Cumberland, Irish--
and they are all fine for breakfast. One or two is a good serving for a
person with an average breakfast appetite.

Bacon is very different over here. What most Americans would call
'bacon' is 'streaky' over here, and rather disparaged (except for
larding game birds). Smoked or unsmoked, sweet-cure or dry-cure--it is
all much thicker and meatier than American bacon. Think Canadian bacon,
but in strips. We prefer green (unsmoked) sweet-cure obtained at Hart's
butchers in Pimlico. Once you've had it, you will never, ever want to go
back to Hormel.

Beans are basically Heinz Vegetarian Beans in Tomato Sauce. I know they
sound very plain--when I think baked beans, I think of dried pea beans
soaked, then boiled, then mixed with tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar,
and a touch of French's mustard, covered in streaky bacon and baked in a
slow oven for hours. This is not what they mean. They mean beans
straight from a can. Beans may be served alone as a side dish, or on
toast as an entree.

Mushrooms are either fried gently in the bacon fat after the meat is
done--or there is a recipe somewhere that recommends softening them with
a knob (about walnut sized) of butter, then cooked, covered, over slow
heat. This is my Brit spouse's favorite method. As I don't voluntarily
eat fungus, I cannot report to you which tastes best.

Tomatoes are fresh. Generally sliced and grilled in the broiler for a
few minutes only; they can also be fried in the bacon grease.

Black pudding is not something I have anything to do with. I worked too
long for the Blood Services, American Red Cross, to be reminded whilst I
am trying to eat breakfast.

Eggs are fried one way only--in grease, turned over once. Much like
'over easy', but if you ask for that no one will understand you. Soft-
boiled is also common, but rather posh, if you ask me.

Bread is usually whole-wheat (or close to it). Purists insist it should
be done in the broiler; whether you flip them over to do the other side
is a topic best left to the theologians here. I use a toaster, just like
God intended when he invented them. Some Brits prefer their toast
completely carbonized (my husband, for instance). I like it to look like
toast. Butter--and I *don't mean margarine--is essential. Marmalade,
jam, honey, or Marmite are recognized substitutes. Remember, jelly over
here means Jell-O, so don't ask for it. There is *no* grape jelly to be
had in the UK. I have to have mine imported from the States. Black
currant is at least the right color, but doesn't add much to a PB&J.

I could go on about the various differences in breakfast cereal, but I
won't, since you didn't ask.

If you're anticipating a trip over here, or are already here and so
confused firsthand, drop me a note. This is my home now, but by God! I'm
still an American.

Lizz 'And don't fall in with this 'merkin' shit. It's a dirty joke gone
much, much too far' Holmans

--
Visit http://www.urbanlegends.com

Spuddie

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
On 30 Sep 1998 04:44:04 GMT, "Nancy" <ncm...@aol.com> shoveling

Captain Crunch into her mouf, said:

>x-e <x...@geocities.com> wrote in article
><kwmz00A0...@theparsonage.demon.co.uk>...
>> In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
>> <d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise
>> >Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>> >pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>> >tea!!!!!!
>

>Tell this poor lurker, please? what sort of beans?

Well, its sorta like Merkan baked beans, but without the pork. Heinz
Vegetarian beans that can be bought here are very similiar though not
quite as sweet, I understand.

>I am *choke, cough,
>blush* American.

Tha's okay! Me too! Lots of us are. I was a total ignoramus about
breakfast when I stumbled onto this newsgroup almost a year ago now.
Boy, what an eggshacashun I've gotten!

>And, very important, are the sausages links or patties?

Well, in the FEB (aka Full English Breakfast) the sausages have to be
links, cause they don't have sausage patties. And their sausages are
larger and flavored differently than Merkan breakfast sausages. (my
hubby is English so I can attest to that!)

>Tomatoes raw or fried?

I still haven't been able to get into the tomatoes for breakfast. I
tried frying some once but wasn't really struck on them. I much prefer
to substitute fried mushrooms myself.

>Please excuse my Yank ignorance. Do your part to
>help introduce an American to culture?

That's true...diplomacy is not dead after all....

>(After all, we almost speak the same
>language, right?)

NO! I think Humbug ought to put up a webpage on the 2eggs site
dedicated to an English--->American translation...and vice versa!

>Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?

Yup! I use fresh button mushrooms, sliced and fried.

>And the bacon, thick slices or thin?

Thick...but our bacon and theirs isn't the same. Their bacon is more
what we would call ham. Hardly any fat and not served in skinny little
strips. Very nice, I might add!

So just stick around Nancy...you'll learn, and soon you'll be bubbling
and squeaking with the rest of us. I must admit that I still don't
understand a lot of their gibberish, but it does help having an
English translator in the house. Course, with the answers he gives me,
half the time I think he's taking the Mickey!

Cheryl

~~~A knowledge of Sanskrit is of little use to a man
trapped in a sewer.~~~

Dimmer

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
fat:

>x-e <x...@geocities.com> wrote in article

><kwmz00A0...@theparsonage.demon.co.uk>...
>> In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
>> <d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise
>> >Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>> >pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>> >tea!!!!!!
>
>Tell this poor lurker, please? what sort of beans?

I know Si has already answered, but we have to be specific dontcha
know...Closest US equivalent is prob'ly Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans,
although they tend to be slightly sweeter these days than the UK
variety.

>I am *choke, cough,
>blush* American.

Your not supposed to take the Arse Candle orally!

>And, very important, are the sausages links or patties?

I'm with Si on this one.

>Tomatoes raw or fried?

Fried, but not green, and definitely not pronounced TOE-MAY-TOES (and no
Whistle Stop Greasy Spoon in sight)

>Please excuse my Yank ignorance. Do your part to

>help introduce an American to culture? (After all, we almost speak the same
>language, right?)

Guess again ;-)

>Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?

Hallucinogenic, class of '79

>And the bacon, thick slices or thin?

Bacon can be either thickness, but must definitely not be the Merkan
variety that consists of fat with pink streaks. Must be English back
bacon, smoked, with the fat snipped down the edges every 1/2" to prevent
curling.

BTW...nice to meet you Mrs Reagan. Hows life after the Whitehouse?

DMR (eggcentricity is a way of life)

--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

Arse Candle - Everybody should have one.

Dimmer

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> inscribed with their finger

in the frying pan fat:

>Bread is usually whole-wheat (or close to it). Purists insist it should
>be done in the broiler;

Arghhhhh.......Grill you heathen!

>whether you flip them over to do the other side
>is a topic best left to the theologians here. I use a toaster, just like
>God intended when he invented them.

Double Arghhh with bells on.....Heretic!

>Some Brits prefer their toast
>completely carbonized (my husband, for instance).

Top bloke!

>I like it to look like
>toast.

No pleasing some people....I like mine in a pleasing Harlequin pattern
:-)

>Lizz 'And don't fall in with this 'merkin' shit. It's a dirty joke gone
>much, much too far' Holmans

DMR 'I only say Merkan in the Group'

--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

Arse Candle - Not a Dirty Joke.

Dr.Strange,Love!

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Don't get your knickers in a knot, Liz, the members of this newsgroup are
the "salt (pork) of the earth, the "milk (and two sugars, please!) 'o human
kindness and just good old EGGS!!

DSL
"Proud to be a Merkan Lurker"

Neil Kearns

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <lw4zUzAM...@theparsonage.demon.co.uk>, x-e <x-
e...@geocities.com> writes

>In article <RAFM8QAU...@kearns.demon.co.uk>, Neil Kearns
><n...@kearns.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise
>>In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
>><d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> writes

>>>Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>>>pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>>>tea!!!!!!
>>
>>I've always despised Black Pudding.
>>
>i cuss your steeeeenkin bloody pudding. sir.

Cuss the black pudding.

Not the white pudding.

And make it proper Irish stuff. <ducks>

Neil Kearns

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <nPBasBBk$WE2...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>, Dimmer
<D...@spamless.co.uk> writes
>Neil Kearns <n...@kearns.demon.co.uk> inscribed with their finger in the
>frying pan fat:

>>In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy
>><d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>Extra large sausages, beans, 4 Eggs,tomatoes,hash browns,black
>>>pudding,bacon,mushrooms,toastx5 and a bloody big bowl of scorching hot
>>>tea!!!!!!
>>
>>I've always despised Black Pudding.
>>
>>White Pudding rocks a fat one, however.
>>
>>Hello!

>wey hey...
>
>The first person I recall mentioning the fab white pudding.
>
>U R indeed welcome.

Thanks, dude!

>I aint had the stuff for over 10 years, but it was damn good IIRC.

Mmm. Yum-oh.

>Hello to u too. Grab a chair, cuppa's on its way.
Cheers. One sugar.

Molesworth

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Spuddie wrote:

> So just stick around Nancy...you'll learn, and soon you'll be bubbling
> and squeaking with the rest of us. I must admit that I still don't
> understand a lot of their gibberish, but it does help having an
> English translator in the house. Course, with the answers he gives me,
> half the time I think he's taking the Mickey!
>
> Cheryl

Well I think Cheryl (aka the NIGHT STALKER) has done away with Gary.

I remember the time when he posted LOADS of stuff (mainly lovey-dovey
gibbberish to Cheryl - but let that pass) but recently? Nada - Zip - Nothing.
This is very mysterious.

Is he still with us (metaphorically not geographically)?

I think its very suspicious that THIS MERKAN WOMAN spirits away our menfolk
with tall tales of breakfasts as far as the eye can see...... he goes and then disappears.

Is it a conspiracy? Did Dimmer escape with only a few bruises and bacon rolls?

I think we should be told.....

Lord M (contactin an old pal in the FO....)

humbug

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

Spuddie wrote in message <361245bb...@news.skypoint.com>...

[sniplet]

>>Tomatoes raw or fried?
>
>I still haven't been able to get into the tomatoes for breakfast. I
>tried frying some once but wasn't really struck on them. I much prefer
>to substitute fried mushrooms myself.

I much prefer them grilled ... that's broiled to you eggnorant Merkans ...
(see below)

[moresnip]

>>(After all, we almost speak the same
>>language, right?)
>

>NO! I think Humbug ought to put up a webpage on the 2eggs site
>dedicated to an English--->American translation...and vice versa!

Ooer - I had enuf trubble with
<http://www.angelfire.com/ok/cheerslove/merkaneggs.html>

OK then ... contributions via the site, please. Use the comments form or
e-mail, and I'll see what I can do.

Humbug (fair knowledge of English and Merkan, now learning some Canuck :-).

humbug

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

Dimmer wrote in message <5MrtMTAP...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...
>Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> inscribed with their finger

>in the frying pan fat:
>>

>>Bread is usually whole-wheat (or close to it). Purists insist it should
>>be done in the broiler;
>
>Arghhhhh.......Grill you heathen!
>
>>whether you flip them over to do the other side
>>is a topic best left to the theologians here. I use a toaster, just like
>>God intended when he invented them.
>
>Double Arghhh with bells on.....Heretic!
>
>>Some Brits prefer their toast
>>completely carbonized (my husband, for instance).
>
>Top bloke!
>
>>I like it to look like
>>toast.
>
>No pleasing some people....I like mine in a pleasing Harlequin pattern [1]

>:-)
>

>>Lizz 'And don't fall in with this 'merkin' shit. It's a dirty joke gone
>>much, much too far' Holmans [2]

>DMR 'I only say Merkan in the Group'
>--
>Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)
>Arse Candle - Not a Dirty Joke.

[1] An example of "Harlequin Toast" can be found at
<http://www.anglfire.com/ok/cheerslove/sausage.html#bologna>

[2] Readers of this group are aware that "Merkans" are citizens of that
great country across the pond between the Land of the Canucks and Mexico
(don't know any other name for it ATP), and that a "merkin" is a pubic wig.
Readers of alt.fan.terry.pratchett are not aware of the distinction ...

Humbug (currently reading a Terry Pratchett book after being egged on by
Baz).

humbug

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
An example of "Harlequin Toast" can be found at
<http://www.angelfire.com/ok/cheerslove/sausage.html#bologna>

Can spel, can't alwas typpe so wel

Nancy

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

> What a friendly bunch you are!!!! Thanks . . .

Nancy

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article
<36123...@news3.enter.net>...

> RIGHT!! "Her name was McGill; she called herself Lil; but everyone
knew
> her as NANCY!"
>
> You're not my little fuzz-pot, LILPEACH, in disguise, are you??

Regrettably, no, but I really like this "little fuzz-pot" business!

Nancy

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article
<36123...@news3.enter.net>...

> Nancy wrote in message <01bdec2d$3a5b7e40$bc41450c@computername>...
> >

> >> In article <360e582e...@News.demon.co.uk>, Dezzy

> >> <d...@dezzy.demon.co.uk> chose to prophesise

> >Tell this poor lurker, please? what sort of beans?
>

> Heinz Vegetarian - saw them in the market last night - although the
American
> version MAY not have as much sugar as the English version.
>

> I am *choke, cough,

> >blush* American. And, very important, are the sausages links or patties?
>
> Links, bangers, snorkers, I love Cumberland sausage. Do you live
> anywhere near NYC?
> >Tomatoes raw or fried?
>
> Me Mum sometimes fries thick slices of tomato in the bacaon drippings.
> They can also be broiled - but not as much flavor. Red tomatoes, NOT
> green!!
>

> Please excuse my Yank ignorance. Do your part to

> >help introduce an American to culture? (After all, we almost speak the
same
> >language, right?) Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . .
sauteed?

> I'll leave this one to our resident fungal expert, Dimmer.
>

> >And the bacon, thick slices or thin?
> >

> >I think thick slices are the tradition - even with the rind still on.
Used
> to be that you couldn't get that type of bacon in Merka, but times have
> changed!!
>
> DSL (Resident Egghead)

Ahh, Heinz! I live about ten hours' drive from NYC, and visit once a year
or so. May I ask why you ask? About tomatoes: most U.S. southerners would
never fry a green tomato! We eat them fried after dredging in flour, with a
sprinkle of sugar on the crispy, finished product. MMMM. Try it?

Nancy

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Spuddie <spu...@guinness.com> wrote in article
<361245bb...@news.skypoint.com>...

> Cheryl
>
> ~~~A knowledge of Sanskrit is of little use to a man

> trapped in a sewer.~~~ (LOVE
THIS!)

Well now, what a great abundance of good information and good will! Now I
want to find this delicious English bacon. About the mushrooms, are they
fried as they are, or breaded? (We in the south can understand frying
without breading, but you have to tell us several times, after we give you
several blank, slack-jawed stares.) I am interested in this differently
seasoned sausage, too. Wonder if we can get them here?

Now then, Cheryl . . . about fried tomatoes. My father's people are from
tidewater VA, and there's gooooooood eatin' there, even outside of the
steamed crabs. Try slicing a ripe tomato, dredging it is flour generously
salted and peppered, and frying until crispy brown. (I like to fry them in
*gasp* olive oil, but my grandmother, now undoubtedly rolling over in her
grave at the suggestion, used bacon fat.) Just before eating, sprinkle them
with table sugar. I'm telling you, this is fine dining! (We put salt on
cantaloupe, too . . . I think it's a contrasting flavor thing.) Cheers,
Ya'll!

Nancy

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<B8FydGAM...@jackalope.demon.co.uk>...

<many wonderful things!>

Dear Liz, I must admit, I printed your post for further study. Seems I have
a few things to learn about breakfast, among other things Now then, will
you tell me what "posh" means? I am in the U.S., in NC, specifically, and
my husband and I would love to visit the U.K., and plan to make it our next
trip. Meanwhile, this Saturday's breakfast will be the closest
approximation I can make to a Full English Breakfast! Thanks.

Nancy

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article

<5MrtMTAP...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...
> Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> inscribed with their finger
> in the frying pan fat:
> >

> >Bread is usually whole-wheat (or close to it). Purists insist it should
> >be done in the broiler;
>
> Arghhhhh.......Grill you heathen!
>
> >whether you flip them over to do the other side
> >is a topic best left to the theologians here. I use a toaster, just like
> >God intended when he invented them.

Tsk, tsk, Dimmer! Didn't God check with you before he invented the toaster?
My great-grandmother got a memo, and she responded, "Go for it. I'm an
Amerrrrrrrican!"

Nancy

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article

<k8yqQNAo...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...
> Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
> fat:
> >

> >Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?
>

> Hallucinogenic, class of '79

Now, now, Dimmer! Psauteed Psilicybin would be Psacriledge!

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Nice to meet you, Nancy,you may sit in that empty desk in front of Dimmer.
If he bothers you, let me know.....he has this anal fetish...oh..well, never
mind...you'll find out soon enough.

I think Humbug may have this somewhere on the "Cheerslove" site, but there a
shop in NYC below 14th and 9th Avenue, called Myers of KESWICK (pronounced
KES - ICK) , It's on Hudson Avenue, and you can get all the fixin's for an
authentic English brekkie including Cumberland sausage (very unique).

I think there are actually several shops in NYC that sell British food, but
that's the one I always go to.

Your recipe sounds good; I'll have to try it.

By the way, next month they 're going to let me have my belt and shoelaces
back.

If you have other questions I'll be happy to address them - or - refer you
to one of our many European eggsperts in eggy things.

DSL
Resident Egghead
"It's an eggy thing, stupid!"

Nancy wrote in message <01bdecea$75267940$b704450c@computername>...

>> >language, right?) Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . .
>sauteed?

humbug

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Nancy wrote in message <01bdecca$7a7cf380$e641450c@computername>...

>> What a friendly bunch you are!!!! Thanks . . .

You are emtirely welcome.

Shall I pour.

Humbug (proudly displaying his restored teapot).

humbug

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Nancy wrote in message <01bdeced$a981c3e0$b704450c@computername>...
Port Out, Starboard Home

... or Victoria

Humbug (only a little spicey).

humbug

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Dr.Strange,Love! wrote in message <36130...@news3.enter.net>...

>I think Humbug may have this somewhere on the "Cheerslove" site, but there
>shop in NYC below 14th and 9th Avenue, called Myers of KESWICK (pronounced
>KES - ICK) , It's on Hudson Avenue, and you can get all the fixin's for
an
>authentic English brekkie including Cumberland sausage (very unique).

I didn't, but I do now ... :-)

Dimmer

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
fat:

>Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article
><5MrtMTAP...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...
>> Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> inscribed with their finger

>> in the frying pan fat:
>> >

>> >Bread is usually whole-wheat (or close to it). Purists insist it should
>> >be done in the broiler;
>>
>> Arghhhhh.......Grill you heathen!
>>
>> >whether you flip them over to do the other side
>> >is a topic best left to the theologians here. I use a toaster, just like
>> >God intended when he invented them.
>>

>Tsk, tsk, Dimmer! Didn't God check with you before he invented the toaster?
>My great-grandmother got a memo, and she responded, "Go for it. I'm an
>Amerrrrrrrican!"

Ah..but see, it was a false God that invented the toaster.

As for the real God, He [1] would never have invented such a device,
retainig instead, the sacred purity of the grill, or the blessed
sacrament of the toasting fork.

DMR

[1] Note the capital H. The other God only had a little h, and
consequently is a false idol created when people found the land of milk,
eggs, and flour [2] after wandering in the dessert for 40 years.

[2] And thus they did move into the promised land where Humbug's Tried
and Tested Pancakes were had by all, and lo, outside this wond'rous
valley there was much wailing, and gnashing of teeth.

--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

Arse Candle - Everybody should have one.

Dimmer

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
humbug <hum...@toffe.net> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
fat:

Don't you just hate people who always know the correct answer, pedantic
though they may be.

However, I don't think this really helps the lady in question.

>... or Victoria
>
>Humbug (only a little old spicey).

This sort of pre-empted my "Talentless Bint who happens to be shagging a
Complete Twonk of a footballer" Spice description.

Oh well, can't be first all the time.

DMR (not posh at all really, despite having 2 last names)

Dimmer

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
fat:

>Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article
><k8yqQNAo...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...
>> Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
>> fat:
>> >

>> >Also, tell me more about these mushrooms . . . sauteed?
>>
>> Hallucinogenic, class of '79
>>

>Now, now, Dimmer! Psauteed Psilicybin would be Psacriledge!

wooooah...like, far out, breakfast dude.

<THUNK>

(Dimmer passes out face down in plate of sausage, eggs, and bacon)

Dimmer

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> feeling a little bit like a hard man,
laced up his Doc Martens before getting aggro:

>Nice to meet you, Nancy,you may sit in that empty desk in front of Dimmer.
>If he bothers you, let me know.....he has this anal fetish...oh..well, never
>mind...you'll find out soon enough.

OI!!...You fancy a candle where the sun don't shine, matey?

>I think Humbug may have this somewhere on the "Cheerslove" site, but there a
>shop in NYC below 14th and 9th Avenue, called Myers of KESWICK (pronounced
>KES - ICK) , It's on Hudson Avenue, and you can get all the fixin's for an
>authentic English brekkie including Cumberland sausage (very unique).

Keswick, of course being a luvverly jubberly place in the Lake District.
The Lake District, of course, being the place where Kendal Mint Cake
grows in abundance.

>I think there are actually several shops in NYC that sell British food, but
>that's the one I always go to.
>
>Your recipe sounds good; I'll have to try it.
>
>By the way, next month they 're going to let me have my belt and shoelaces
>back.

And if you sharpen the little metal bits on the end of those laces, they
cut things quite nicely, IYKWIM.

HTH :-)

>If you have other questions I'll be happy to address them - or - refer you
>to one of our many European eggsperts in eggy things.
>
>DSL
>Resident Egghead
>"It's an eggy thing, stupid!"

DMR, Who has a feeling that a certain Doctor is about to meet with a
nasty Eggcident.

Dimmer

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
humbug <hum...@toffe.net> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
fat:

>Nancy wrote in message <01bdecca$7a7cf380$e641450c@computername>...
>>

>>> What a friendly bunch you are!!!! Thanks . . .

She omitted to say bunch of what..

>You are emtirely welcome.
>
>Shall I pour.
>
>Humbug (proudly displaying his restored teapot).

Nice pot....not as impressive as my lunchbox....I mean Linford.

Can I have a cuppa as well?

DMR (feeling the Thirst)

Lizz Holmans

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> writes

>Dear Liz, I must admit, I printed your post for further study. Seems I have
>a few things to learn about breakfast, among other things Now then, will
>you tell me what "posh" means? I am in the U.S., in NC, specifically, and
>my husband and I would love to visit the U.K., and plan to make it our next
>trip. Meanwhile, this Saturday's breakfast will be the closest
>approximation I can make to a Full English Breakfast! Thanks.

'Posh' does not have a good etymology. 'Port Outward, Starboard Home'
refers to the preferred side of the ship on a voyage out to India and
back, but this is *not* the accepted genesis of the word.

Soft-boiled eggs might be considered posh (that it, a little upper-
class, beyond the reach of most greasy-spoon caffs round here). They are
served with 'soldiers'--little pieces of buttered toast to dip into the
liquid center of the egg yolk. As I prefer my eggs over-medium (don't
ask for them Over Here, they won't know what you're on about), I don't
bother.

Toast is usually a finger-food in the States. Not so Over Here--they
dump beans on it, or serve it under scrambled (sometimes they say
'buttered') eggs. I prefer it in one piece with honey or some of my
contraband grape jelly. I truly believe you must be born here to
understand Marmite; it tastes like unreconstructed yeast paste to me,
and I have no truck with it. RSG (my husband, the Randy Spouse Git) eats
Marmite and peanut butter sandwiches, but only when I'm not looking.
Peach or plum jam are good substitutes for marmalade.

What they *don't* have here is yer regular biscuits and gravy. Biscuits,
to Them, are cookies; gravy, Over Here, means mainly meat juices which
may or may not be thickened and flavored. One of the reasons I go Home
periodically is so I can get me some soda biscuits with sausage cream
gravy--a dish deserving to be enshrined in the Pantheon of Good
Breakfasts, as far as I'm concerned.

My favorite 'going out to breakfast' place is a little grill on Warwick
Way here in Pimlico--two eggs, bacon, two sausages, beans, chips (french
fries--they don't know from hashbrowns over here), and toast, with
lashings of strong tea with milk and sugar, for about £3.50. So properly
nourished, you won't need anything else until tea.

If you are coming this direction and are interested in Real English
Food, drop me an e-mail. Perhaps we could show you around some.

If truth be told, I emigrated mainly for the breakfasts. (And for my
lovely husband, of course, but he cooks me breakfast on weekends to keep
me from wandering)

LizzH, from Oklahoma, where we know a thing or two about breakfast
ourseves.
--
Visit http://www.urbanlegends.com

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Glory, Glory, I spent the day in NYC; didn't get to Myers (Hudson STREET!)
I'll let you know the address as soon as I can find it!!

Any where near Asheville??

Nancy wrote in message <01bded99$fd2b6260$eb04450c@computername>...

>Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

><36130...@news3.enter.net>...

>> Nice to meet you, Nancy,you may sit in that empty desk in front of
>Dimmer.
>> If he bothers you, let me know.....he has this anal fetish...oh..well,
>never
>> mind...you'll find out soon enough.
>>

>> I think Humbug may have this somewhere on the "Cheerslove" site, but
>there a
>> shop in NYC below 14th and 9th Avenue, called Myers of KESWICK
>(pronounced
>> KES - ICK) , It's on Hudson Avenue, and you can get all the fixin's for
>an
>> authentic English brekkie including Cumberland sausage (very unique).
>

>I'll give it a try on my next trip. And, thanks for the pronunciation
>instructions . . .!

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Ever here of Montreat?? Home of Billy Graham and others well-to-do. I
taught at Montreat-Anderson College for an eggnominious year. Professor of
Eggonomics. I certainly DID NOT like the politics of Buncome County!

Enough said!

Asheville was pretty Bohemian and somewhat avant garde, if you know what I
mean. Had circumstances been different, I would have lenjoyed settling
there.

Nancy wrote in message <01bded9f$d06c8dc0$eb04450c@computername>...

>Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

><36141...@news3.enter.net>...

>> Glory, Glory, I spent the day in NYC; didn't get to Myers (Hudson
>STREET!)
>> I'll let you know the address as soon as I can find it!!
>>
>> Any where near Asheville??
>>

>I'm about four hours away, in Raleigh. Don't tell anyone, but I'm
>originally a Baltimoron. As such, I was forced to move to Texas, where I
>acquired the sense of humor frequently lacking in our breed, then to NC,
>where I have learned some semblance of good manners. (One of the hardest
>things to get used to, when I moved to Raleigh ten years ago, was the word
>"HEY!" used as a greeting. In the beginning, I was constantly startled when
>greeted this way. My response was to look around wildly and say "WHAT?",
>thinking some disaster was about to befall me. BTW, Asheville is nice, but
>Blowing Rock NC is heavenly.

Baz

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Trubble with "shrooms is you really don;t feel like eating anything for a
while afterwards. Even tho you stay up 'till past breakfast. Lot's of
giggling tho.

--
Baz.... " To err is human...to toast, divine"
Nancy wrote in message <01bded99$7fd9c7c0$eb04450c@computername>...

>Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article

><a6SFRRAp...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...
>> Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
>> fat:
>> >

>> >Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article
>> ><k8yqQNAo...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...

>> >Now, now, Dimmer! Psauteed Psilicybin would be Psacriledge!
>>
>> wooooah...like, far out, breakfast dude.
>>
>> <THUNK>
>>
>> (Dimmer passes out face down in plate of sausage, eggs, and bacon)
>> --
>

>That would be dudette . .. .

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
East Texas, Pennsylvania. The Lehigh Valley - Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton.
It's a very small town. Don't blink or you'll miss it! (Home of
"DAYTIMERS" if you know what they are)

Nancy wrote in message <01bdedad$e5d7eb60$e841450c@computername>...

>Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

><36143...@news3.enter.net>...

>> Ever here of Montreat?? Home of Billy Graham and others well-to-do. I
>> taught at Montreat-Anderson College for an eggnominious year. Professor
>of
>> Eggonomics. I certainly DID NOT like the politics of Buncome County!
>>
>> Enough said!
>>
>> Asheville was pretty Bohemian and somewhat avant garde, if you know what
>> mean. Had circumstances been different, I would have lenjoyed settling
>> there.
>>

>Never been to Montreat, but Buncome is famous for eggnominious politicos.
>Sounds like we might hold a few political views in common. But, sticking
>with the topic at hand, do tell: don't you miss hot, flaky, buttery
>biscuits? How 'bout grits? Country ham, so salty it sucks all the juice
>out of you even after a good soaking? Where are you now?

Nancy

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Nancy

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

Nancy

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Lizz Holmans <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote in article

<LitQaAAs...@jackalope.demon.co.uk>...

I'll drop you a line when our plans have finalized. And AHHHHHH, The
Biscuit: hot, smothered with butter, drizzled with honey . . . it might
just convert a few diehard toast fans!

Nancy

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

Dimmer

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
fat:

>Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article
><a6SFRRAp...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...
>> Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
>> fat:
>> >

>> >Dimmer <d...@spamless.co.uk> wrote in article
>> ><k8yqQNAo...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...

>> >Now, now, Dimmer! Psauteed Psilicybin would be Psacriledge!
>>
>> wooooah...like, far out, breakfast dude.
>>
>> <THUNK>
>>
>> (Dimmer passes out face down in plate of sausage, eggs, and bacon)
>> --
>
>That would be dudette . .. .

That would be silly.....

--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

Bum Candles of Naverone - Edited for Airplane Viewing

Dimmer

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Nancy <ncm...@aol.com> inscribed with their finger in the frying pan
fat:

I'm afraid this only made me think of Blowing Chunks, which would be a
sign of a baaad brekkie.

I do like NC, having being to the Charlotte are several times now.
Weather is pretty good...i.e. they freaked in Janhuary (oops, a typo)
when they got a light dusting of snow :-)

BTW Nancy....

"Hi, How are you?"
"Hey"

Its a bit like "Uh Huh" meaning "You're Welcome"

"Thanks"
"Uh Huh"

You're right...it does take some getting used to, though easier than
grits, I'll wager.

--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

Bum Candle - This Sig has been classified PG13 by the BBFC

Nancy

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

Nancy

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

<36144...@news3.enter.net>...

> East Texas, Pennsylvania. The Lehigh Valley -
Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton.
> It's a very small town. Don't blink or you'll miss it! (Home of
> "DAYTIMERS" if you know what they are)

Ahhhh, so you probably know about Baltimorons! But where were you born, and
why are you evading the biscuit issue? (No, I don't mean cookies.)

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Born in Accrington, Lancashire many moon ago.

You know, I'd forgotten 'bout those dang biscuits - poured sausage gravy or
some other muck over 'em.

Surely there's been something about sausage biscuits in the group before
now!!

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
That's "BAL 'T MER for you English Dogs (well at least it's
capitalized!!)

Dimmer

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> inscribed with their finger in the
frying pan fat:

>Born in Accrington, Lancashire many moon ago.
>
>You know, I'd forgotten 'bout those dang biscuits - poured sausage gravy or
>some other muck over 'em.
>
>Surely there's been something about sausage biscuits in the group before
>now!!

Why would you want sausages & gravy with your McVities Rich Teas?

DMR (puzzled)

--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

Oi! - Who's nicked my .sig?

Dimmer

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> inscribed with their finger in the
frying pan fat:
> That's "BAL 'T MER for you English Dogs (well at least it's
>capitalized!!)

I perfer An Apple Less, meself.....

That's ANNAPOLIS [1] for you Smirkin' Merkans.....

DMR

[1] Sorry for shouting, Mr. H, but sometimes the point just needs to be
made.

DMR

--
Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

? Still missing

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Silly Sausage!

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
NOT (emphasis added) sausages AND gravy; but "sausage gravy" which is a
dirty cream colored with brown chunks of mystery meat floating around.

Then, it's poured over a "biscuit" (right! - not a cookie) - just flour,
water, salt.

That's a fairly common brekky in the South!

"Sausages and Biscuits"

Dimmer wrote in message <1upOkDAD...@aylesbury-automation.co.uk>...

>Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> inscribed with their finger in the
>frying pan fat:
>>

>>Born in Accrington, Lancashire many moon ago.
>>
>>You know, I'd forgotten 'bout those dang biscuits - poured sausage gravy
or
>>some other muck over 'em.
>>
>>Surely there's been something about sausage biscuits in the group before
>>now!!
>>

>Why would you want sausages & gravy with your McVities Rich Teas?
>
>DMR (puzzled)

>--
>Dimmer (ICQ # 16240795)

Reverend Shadow!

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Dr.Strange,Love! wrote:

> NOT (emphasis added) sausages AND gravy; but "sausage gravy" which is a
> dirty cream colored with brown chunks of mystery meat floating around.
>
> Then, it's poured over a "biscuit" (right! - not a cookie) - just flour,
> water, salt.
>
> That's a fairly common brekky in the South!

It's not as easy as it sounds to make the dish, either. Too little milk
and you've got something that resembles Yorkshire pud; too little flour
and a pond of grease accumulates at the top of your gravy. Here's a
recipe. I apologize in advance because there are NO EXACT MEASUREMENTS!

RCB's Sausage Gravy
(note: NEVER make this with bacon grease, as it will yield a perfectly
horrid result)

If you're a Merkan, buy some non-linked sausage, take about 1/3 of it,
crumble it up, and fry until nicely browned. If you're not a Merkan,
then take some of that raw sausage out of its casing (perhaps 2-4
sausages, depending on their size), crumble it up and fry it also until
nicely done. Select a highly-spiced sausage, as this dish requires no
salt or pepper.

From here on out, it doesn't matter who you are--the instructions are
the same. You should have sausage bits floating around in hot grease in
a frying pan. Next, add an amount of flour that is equal to the amount
of grease you have in the pan. If you're compelled to drain the grease
and measure it, help yourself, but the goal is to achieve a
sausage-grease based roux. After adding the flour, you may either brown
it or not (most gravies are a strange gray colo[u]r that can take some
getting used to), but be sure that the flour is well-incorporated.

Next, get upwards of a qt (litre) of milk and begin to add it SLOWLY to
the sausage-grease roux. You will only add as much as necessary to
achieve a gravy consistency you can live with. Some folks like the
gravy very, very thick; others prefer a thinner gravy.

Cook until the gravy starts to bubble; remove it from the heat and pour
over biscuits (or, I guess, toast if you're really desperate).

Robin
(Boy, am I hungry now....)
--
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
* Reverend Shadow! *

Smokey Behr

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
On 2 Oct 1998 00:19:46 GMT, "Nancy" <ncm...@aol.com> in message#
<01bded9a$b271f080$eb04450c@computername> scribbled 65 lines on the
chalkboard in the Kindergarten room:

>I'll drop you a line when our plans have finalized. And AHHHHHH, The
>Biscuit: hot, smothered with butter, drizzled with honey . . . it might
>just convert a few diehard toast fans!

Naah... Biscuits are made to be smothered in sausage gravy... Damn, I
love B&G... Makes my arteries clog just thinking about it...

Dimmer, mate, there's no Recipe for Sausage Gravy... it's really
simple...

1 lb chub pack breakfast pork sausage (that's 500g for you brits)
Flour
Milk (whole milk is best)
Salt
Pepper

Crumble and fry the sausage until browned.
When sausage is browned, sprinkle in flour while stirring to make a
thick paste. Add milk gradually while stirring paste until it reaches
desired consistency, then add a little more milk, it'll thicken and
cook down. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over biscuits,
scrambled eggs, hash browns...

--
________ ______ ________ ______
__ ___/______ ____________ /___________ ____ __ )_______ /_________

mhm21x12
.Sig file: http://home.earthlink.net/~johng02/smokeysig.htm

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Sounds like you have a "B" in your bonnet, Sweet Thing!

Virginia Bollinger wrote in message
<6v41hj$c...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>Er, as a native NC-ite I'd like to point out to the perfesser that it's
>spelled Buncombe.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Virginia
>A Southerner who has never liked grits.

>The doctore said:
>I certainly DID NOT like the politics of Buncome County!
>>
>>Enough said!
>>
>>Asheville was pretty Bohemian and somewhat avant garde, if you know what I
>>mean. Had circumstances been different, I would have lenjoyed settling
>>there.
>>

>>Nancy wrote in message <01bded9f$d06c8dc0$eb04450c@computername>...

>>>Dr.Strange,Love! <dr...@enter.net> wrote in article

Dr.Strange,Love!

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
You see, my dear, I make a damn good Melton Mowbray pie; and that's a
HOT water crust ( I use half and half), DEEEEElicious. I used the brief
description (flour, water, etc.) ONLY to differentiate between English and
American "biscuits" ( NO sugar was the critical issue; I didn't make myself
clear! )

Stay after class.

Virginia Bollinger wrote in message

<6v41oo$d...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>...
>Er, perfesser...I hate to correct you a second time but you forgot the lard
>or Crisco in the biscuits. It depends on the flakiness you want and the
>amount of cholesterol clogging your arteries. Also baking powder.
>
>Respeggfully,

>Virginia
>A Southerner who has never liked grits.

>Dr.Strange,Love! wrote in message <3614b...@news3.enter.net>...

>>NOT (emphasis added) sausages AND gravy; but "sausage gravy" which is a
>>dirty cream colored with brown chunks of mystery meat floating around.
>>
>>Then, it's poured over a "biscuit" (right! - not a cookie) - just flour,
>>water, salt.
>>
>>That's a fairly common brekky in the South!

LilPeach

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

Dimmer wrote in message ...
<snips with the big shears>

:>1 lb chub pack breakfast pork sausage (that's 500g for you brits)
:
:I have sausages

.....good.....crumble them up

:>Flour
:
:I have flour (plain or self raising?) [1]

plain (and you forgot your [1] footnote).......must have been the Stella's)
:
:>Milk (whole milk is best)
:
:Got Milk! Does a body Good

I use half and half when I am feeling realllllly sinful <g>
:
:>Salt
:
:Got that
:
:>Pepper
:Poivre Aussi!

He meant Salt n Pepa[1]
:>
:>Crumble and fry the sausage until browned.
:
:OK
:
:
:
:>When sausage is browned, sprinkle in flour while stirring to make a
:>thick paste.
:
:Even I can manage this.
:
:>Add milk gradually while stirring paste until it reaches

:>desired consistency, then add a little more milk, it'll thicken and
:>cook down.

:
:OK
:
:>Add salt and pepper to taste.
:
:Taste what?

[1] they should taste your gravy....silly boy!!
:
:>Serve over biscuits,
:
:McVities Rich Teas or Jaffacakes?

Nope....the fluffy Merkan kind. Need a recipe???
:
:>scrambled eggs, hash browns...
:
:are fine by me
:
:DMR
:
:I may have a small sig, but I'm all man.....
:
:and I've just had 4 pints of Stella, and can still type. Roll on
:brekkie!

But can you remember how to do your notes???

<sigs deleted>

LP

Dimmer

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98