goujons

RustyHinge

Apr 21, 2022, 6:05:03 PM4/21/22
Carer, shopping for me, hadn't met bacon offcuts before, despite
Broadland Hams, a local firm offering bags of them - some rashers from
the end of the 'side', end-of-run leftover rashers, large steaks of
bacon etc.

There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small tray
of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and proper
rasher thickness).

I cooked a tablespoon or so of them with chopped mushrooms, On!ons, and
celery. Quite pleasant, but I've still four fifths of a tray left. Has
anyone any suggestions for using some of it/them?

Pretty please.

--
Rusty Hinge

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Apr 22, 2022, 2:30:03 AM4/22/22
On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:05:01 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> I cooked a tablespoon or so of them with chopped mushrooms, On!ons, and
> celery. Quite pleasant, but I've still four fifths of a tray left. Has
> anyone any suggestions for using some of it/them?

Fry with On!ons etc. and drop into scrambled egg mix - or fill an
omelette with simla mix.

BLT sarnies.

Fry crispy and mix into a salad.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Andrew Marshall

Apr 22, 2022, 3:10:32 AM4/22/22
On 21/04/2022 23:05, RustyHinge wrote:
> Carer, shopping for me, hadn't met bacon offcuts before, despite
> Broadland Hams, a local firm offering bags of them - some rashers from
> the end of the 'side', end-of-run leftover rashers, large steaks of
> bacon etc.
>
> There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small tray
> of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and proper
> rasher thickness).
>
> I cooked a tablespoon or so of them with chopped mushrooms, On!ons, and
> celery. Quite pleasant, but I've still four fifths of a tray left. Has
> anyone any suggestions for using some of it/them?

Fry to taste, and mash into baked or boiled potato.

--
Regards,
Andrew.

RustyHinge

Apr 22, 2022, 3:55:00 AM4/22/22
On 22/04/2022 07:29, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 23:05:01 +0100
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I cooked a tablespoon or so of them with chopped mushrooms, On!ons, and
>> celery. Quite pleasant, but I've still four fifths of a tray left. Has
>> anyone any suggestions for using some of it/them?
>
> Fry with On!ons etc. and drop into scrambled egg mix - or fill an
> omelette with simla mix.

ta,but my flfgrz is intolerant of eggses

> BLT sarnies.
>
> Fry crispy and mix into a salad.

Candidate, ta.

RustyHinge

Apr 22, 2022, 3:56:17 AM4/22/22
Ta: candidate.

Sn!pe

Apr 22, 2022, 2:06:46 PM4/22/22
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22/04/2022 08:10, Andrew Marshall wrote:
> > On 21/04/2022 23:05, RustyHinge wrote:
> >> Carer, shopping for me, hadn't met bacon offcuts before, despite
> >> Broadland Hams, a local firm offering bags of them - some rashers from
> >> the end of the 'side', end-of-run leftover rashers, large steaks of
> >> bacon etc.
> >>
> >> There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small tray
> >> of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and proper
> >> rasher thickness).
> >>
> >> I cooked a tablespoon or so of them with chopped mushrooms, On!ons,
> >> and celery. Quite pleasant, but I've still four fifths of a tray left.
> >> Has anyone any suggestions for using some of it/them?
> >
> > Fry to taste, and mash into baked or boiled potato.
>
> Ta: candidate.

Speaking of baked 'taters, I've shamelessly lifted this from the
Schlock Mercenaries comic (as recommended by Austin of the Shed):-

~~~~~~~~~~

Note: The "bacon-and-potato thingies" Schlock is speaking of go by
numerous names, usually because restaurants want you to think they're
a local original rather than something any yokel with leftover baked
potatos can cook up. They go like this:

1) Cut a baked potato in half lengthwise. Scrape out the starchy
potato-y middle, leaving just the skin and a thin layer of
potato-guts.

2) Butter it. ALL OVER. Scrimp on the butter and you're doing it wrong.

3) Grate some cheese into it.

4) Lay some cooked bacon on it. It can be crumbled, whole, or whatever.
If it's still greasy, that's fine. It'll make up for the fact that I
KNOW you didn't use enough butter.

5) Bake it in the oven until the potato is sizzling and crispy and the
cheese is bubbling and melted.

6) Serve. It's like a greasy cross between a potato chip and a loaded
baked potato.

Theoretically, the potato-guts you scraped out can be eaten
separately. They can also be turned into mashed potatoes. You can
add sour cream to them and blend them up and have something to
dip the bacon-and-potato thingies in. You can throw them out.
They're not nearly as tasty as the cardiologically hazardous mess
you just pulled out of the oven (which, I might add, is going to
taste even better if you add some butter to it).

~~~~~~~~~~~

--
^Ï^ Slava Ukraini

My pet rock Gordon just is.

RustyHinge

Apr 22, 2022, 4:24:07 PM4/22/22
Wish I had a noven (handy/reachable). I did mantle something similar
with some of them: cooked spud slowly in a little extra virgin olive
oil, in a closed pan, with chopped On!ons and ditto mushrooms and celery.

When done, mashedem together with a goodly knob^H^H^H^lump of butter and
some chopped tinned tomatoes with a generous squeeze of tomato purée,
crushed-in-mortar-by-pestle black peppercorns, marjoram, Serapu mustard
and a small sprinkling of garlic granules.

Let it all cool and mixed together with a couple or three of SR flour
and a whisked-to-a-froth-egg and formed splodge^h^h^h^h^h^dough into
flat cakes and fried in olive oil and ate the resulting baconcakes with
baked beans and the rest of the tin of tomatoes.

The SR flour and egg were to get the rest of the stuff to hold together,
wot it did admirabubbly.

Fried a cupful of goujons in bacon fat, mixed them into the

Mike Fleming

Apr 22, 2022, 4:46:27 PM4/22/22
On 21/04/2022 23:05, RustyHinge wrote:

> There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small tray
> of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and proper
> rasher thickness).

If that's really the size of them, it would take 20 of them to make a
pork scratching. Have you swapped a couple of 'c's for 'm's? At least
they would make a pork scratching apiece.

RustyHinge

Apr 22, 2022, 7:05:27 PM4/22/22
A the end of the tray I opened/de-clingfilmed they were tiny, at t'other
end some were as vast as 1·5 cm x 3mm, but by and large, still not large.

At this very moment they are slowly cooking in (mostly) EV olive oil
with finely chopped On!ons and potato seasoned with sage, thyme,
marjoram, coriander and ground black peppercorns.

RustyHinge

Apr 25, 2022, 7:47:19 AM4/25/22
On 23/04/2022 00:05, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 22/04/2022 21:46, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 21/04/2022 23:05, RustyHinge wrote:
>>>
>>> There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small
>>> tray of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and
>>> proper rasher thickness).
>>
>> If that's really the size of them, it would take 20 of them to make a
>> pork scratching. Have you swapped a couple of 'c's for 'm's? At least
>> they would make a pork scratching apiece.
>
> A the end of the tray I opened/de-clingfilmed they were tiny, at t'other
> end some were as vast as 1·5 cm x 3mm, but by and large, still not large.
>
> At this very moment they are slowly cooking in (mostly) EV olive oil
> with finely chopped On!ons and potato seasoned with sage, thyme,
> marjoram, coriander and ground black peppercorns.

GooJohns rolled about in plain flour to absorb fat and cooked again to
bind it, then added to already thick vegetabuble hot-pot, rendered even
hotter by a tad too much piri-piri spice mix.

GooJohns all gone and undetectabubble. :-(

Still, their nutritional value (FWIW) is still lurking somewhere.

Mike Fleming

Apr 26, 2022, 8:29:14 AM4/26/22
On 23/04/2022 00:05, RustyHinge wrote:
> On 22/04/2022 21:46, Mike Fleming wrote:
>> On 21/04/2022 23:05, RustyHinge wrote:
>>>
>>> There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small
>>> tray of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and
>>> proper rasher thickness).
>>
>> If that's really the size of them, it would take 20 of them to make a
>> pork scratching. Have you swapped a couple of 'c's for 'm's? At least
>> they would make a pork scratching apiece.
>
> A the end of the tray I opened/de-clingfilmed they were tiny, at t'other
> end some were as vast as 1·5 cm x 3mm, but by and large, still not large.

That still seems microscopic. It would take four of the largest to cover
the metal part of a USB connector, and the smaller ones would be about
the size of an individual hundreds'n'thousands.

John Williamson

Apr 26, 2022, 9:03:45 AM4/26/22
The French call 'em "dés de lardons". Used basically as small lumps of
salty fat.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Ben Newsam

Apr 26, 2022, 1:39:46 PM4/26/22
RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
Organisation":

>Carer, shopping for me, hadn't met bacon offcuts before, despite
>Broadland Hams, a local firm offering bags of them - some rashers from
>the end of the 'side', end-of-run leftover rashers, large steaks of
>bacon etc.
>
>There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small tray
>of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and proper
>rasher thickness).
>
>I cooked a tablespoon or so of them with chopped mushrooms, On!ons, and
>celery. Quite pleasant, but I've still four fifths of a tray left. Has
>anyone any suggestions for using some of it/them?

Fry. Eat. Alternatively chop, fry, add to bacon and egg flan.
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Apr 26, 2022, 4:00:29 PM4/26/22
Chop *CHOP?* You mean comminute!

Fry maybe, but I'm intolerant of eughggs.

Otherwise, good cyna.

Ben Newsam

Apr 30, 2022, 6:28:16 AM4/30/22
RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
Organisation":

>On 26/04/2022 18:39, Ben Newsam wrote:
>> RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
>> Organisation":
>>
>>> Carer, shopping for me, hadn't met bacon offcuts before, despite
>>> Broadland Hams, a local firm offering bags of them - some rashers from
>>> the end of the 'side', end-of-run leftover rashers, large steaks of
>>> bacon etc.
>>>
>>> There weren't any of those bags (she said), so she got me a small tray
>>> of goujons. As rashers, they are a bit small (2-3mm x 4-5mm and proper
>>> rasher thickness).
>>>
>>> I cooked a tablespoon or so of them with chopped mushrooms, On!ons, and
>>> celery. Quite pleasant, but I've still four fifths of a tray left. Has
>>> anyone any suggestions for using some of it/them?
>>
>> Fry. Eat. Alternatively chop, fry, add to bacon and egg flan.
>
>Chop *CHOP?* You mean comminute!

No, I said chop and I mean chop. No shedspeak in here, mate!
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Apr 30, 2022, 7:07:31 AM4/30/22
On 30/04/2022 11:28, Ben Newsam wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
> Organisation":
>
>> On 26/04/2022 18:39, Ben Newsam wrote:
>>> RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
>>> Organisation":

>>> Fry. Eat. Alternatively chop, fry, add to bacon and egg flan.
>>
>> Chop *CHOP?* You mean comminute!
>
> No, I said chop and I mean chop. No shedspeak in here, mate!

The word 'comminute' is to be found in any decent dictionary. To 'chop'
the gougons would appear to me to be embarasse des riches, since they
measure, on average about 1mm x 2mm x 8mm each, hence 'comminute'.

Sn!pe

Apr 30, 2022, 9:59:21 AM4/30/22
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> embarasse des riches

WOCAB

Mike Fleming

May 1, 2022, 4:59:47 PM5/1/22
So they're each about the size of a matchstick broken in half? Are you
really, really sure you mean mm and not cm?

RustyHinge

May 1, 2022, 7:09:07 PM5/1/22
I used to teach maths, amongst other subjects...

Gang of 2 or 3 side-by-side by ¼-⅓ matchstick long.