Publish and be damned!

已查看 10 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月3日 21:16:372022/11/3
收件人
Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:

What Gets My Goat

Do you remember many years ago cooking, say, a pork chop, a rolled
beef 'joint', bacon rashers, even sausages?

Did they ever exude obscene quantities of white gunge like the white
of fried egg and enough water to drown themselves in?

If you're only half as old as I am you will not recall such culinary
manifestations until relatively recently.

Not every bygone commestible is so plain and honest as the stuff most
of us were used to, mind: my mother was a physiotherapist in private
practice. For obvious reasons she always asked a new patient's
occupation. On one occasion this prompted her to ask "What's a
'Pipper'?" The answer was surprising, but quite prosaic: "I operate the
machine that turns wood into the pips in raspberry jam." The jam in
question was quite wholesome, but had no acquaintance with actual
raspberries, being composed of mangolds, sugar, colouring, artificial
raspberry flavour, citric acid crystals and maybe some gelling agent. I
forget all the details as I wasn't long out of short trousers at the time.

Back to the matter in (the) pan: I'm not certain what the white stuff
is but I suspect it is by-products of processes such as cheesemaking and
that the water is just that - water.

Legislation, no-doubt enacted as a result of parliamentary lobbying
by grasping (or at least, thoughtless of the consequences) food
processers permits water to be injected into uncooked meat 'to enhance
its quality' on the plate when it is cooked. By-products that are
considered edible can also adulterate legally a commestible.

By-products such as whey are nutritive, but not sought-after to a
large enough extent to ease them out of the waste products category,
thus costing - (eg) cheesemakers - actual money to dispose of them, but
by being edible, can be incorporated into saleable products.

These permissions suggested to certain creative minds with far too
much time for plotting, that instead of costing a lot of money to
dispose of them, they could be surreptitiously slipped into, injected
into, or otherwise palmed-off onto an unsuspecting public at a handsome
profit at the retail price of whatever product it is being dumped in.

Two or three rashers of bacon can yield a heaped teaspoon of that
white of fried-egg-like pollutant.

Sausages often have little voids in the mince infilled with it during
cooking, and chops are often coated with it: quantities can be scraped
off the surfaces when the meat is cooked.

What is most goat-getting is that I am paying premium rates will he,
nil he, for someone else's rubbish - I am paying them good money to get
the rubbish which should be costing them money to dispose of, and/or at
any rate I am paying chop rate, sausage rate, bacon rate for water, at
eye-watering rate.

Posted to The Shed TAAAW.
--
Rusty Hinge

Sn!pe

未读,
2022年11月3日 22:05:582022/11/3
收件人
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

[bacon]
> Back to the matter in (the) pan: I'm not certain what the white stuff
> is but I suspect it is by-products of processes such as cheesemaking
> and that the water is just that - water.
[...]

I think the white stuff is polyphosphates but
I don't know what good it is for the producers.
We eat dry-cured bacon which doesn't do that.

--
^Ï^. My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 08:40:592022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 02:05, Sn!pe wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
> [bacon]
>> Back to the matter in (the) pan: I'm not certain what the white stuff
>> is but I suspect it is by-products of processes such as cheesemaking
>> and that the water is just that - water.
> [...]
>
> I think the white stuff is polyphosphates but
> I don't know what good it is for the producers.
> We eat dry-cured bacon which doesn't do that.

The curing of bacon has been changed, I know, and I dunno how. I think
the promble was sodium nitrite being a suspect in health disorders.

I've just cooked two rashers of back bacon (I specifically wrote on my
helpful carer bought 2 packs of (smoked) back bacon, for which I have
little use - I like to wrap (say) sausages, mushrooms, liver &c in
streaky,and that's why I buy bacon. 2 packs because they were marked
<#price for two> and she presumably thought you had to buy two...

In her defence, while she orterer asked a shop assistant, she relied on
Garble Translate English/Romanian on her dumbfone.

From these two rashers cooked slowly, in a closed pan, about a
tablespoon anna narf of water and two teaspoons of white gunge.

BTW, it's not just bacon which exudes the stuff: it ooooozes out of
more-or-less any joint, chop, etc.

John Williamson

未读,
2022年11月4日 09:11:212022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 12:40, RustyHinge wrote:

> From these two rashers cooked slowly, in a closed pan, about a
> tablespoon anna narf of water and two teaspoons of white gunge.
>
> BTW, it's not just bacon which exudes the stuff: it ooooozes out of
> more-or-less any joint, chop, etc.

The problem, as I understand it, is that with industrial meat, as sold
in horriblemarkets, they are permitted to add (inject)a certain
percentage of water to what is allegedly fresh meat. As a result, it
oozes out during cooking, bringing some of the protein with it. If
labelled correctly (read the ingredients on the pack), they are also
allowed to inject collagen.

It is very hard to find decent dry cured bacon in a horriblemarket, as
it all seems to be reformed meat "cured" by adding salt water, possibly
with added smoke flavouring.

When I go to a real butcher, who buys the carcasses direct from the
abattoir, this doesn't happen, so the meat doesn't ooze stuff out. My
favoured butcher a while ago used to cure his bacon in the shop. he was
even happy to admit what was in his mince and sausages.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Ben Newsam

未读,
2022年11月4日 09:49:392022/11/4
收件人
RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
Organisation":

> Back to the matter in (the) pan: I'm not certain what the white stuff
>is but I suspect it is by-products of processes such as cheesemaking and
>that the water is just that - water.

Indeed. Modern supermarket bacon has so much water in it that it's
impossible to fry it properly, it merely boils in its own added water.
And of course "smoked" bacon isn't actually smoked at all, it has
"liquid smoke" injected into it after the curing process. Watch the TV
series "How It's Made" to see it in action, loads of needles pushed
into the meat all at once.

I make my own bacon nowadays. I buy pork loin in 2kg joints, and use
my own curing mixture. Very nice it is too, but still not entirely
free of the added water problem. A pork loin or belly bought from a
decent butcher usually does not suffer from the problem, but can be a
bit of a nuisance to deal with, there might be bones and of course the
skin, and the quality varies enormously. So, I accept a small amount
of added water for the sake of convenience, reasonably good quality,
price, and a small amount of added water. When I cook my home cured
bacon, there is sometimes a bit of white-coloured stuff that collects
on top of each rasher which I then scrape off and all is well, and it
fries nicely.
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

未读,
2022年11月4日 09:57:232022/11/4
收件人
RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
Organisation":

>The curing of bacon has been changed, I know, and I dunno how. I think
>the promble was sodium nitrite being a suspect in health disorders.

Yes. Apart from salt (and a certain amount of sugar, I use potassium
nitrate and sodium nitrite. It is possible to buy "curing salt" or
"nitrite salt", but neither have quite the proportion of sodium
nitrite that I require. It has to be handled very carefully, checking
and double checking, because it is hightly poisonous[1]. It is
extraordinarily difficult to get hold of in the pure form, you have to
be a limited company or legal partnership or similar. The reason is
that online "suicide sites" that give teenagers advice on how to kill
themselves have been recommending sodium nitrite to do the deed.

[1] The LD50[2] fatal dose for a human works out at about 1 gram. That
being said, the LD50 of aspirin is higher.

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_lethal_dose
--
Ben

Adrian

未读,
2022年11月4日 10:48:252022/11/4
收件人
In message <tk1p5j$1j05r$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:
>
>What Gets My Goat
>
> Do you remember many years ago cooking, say, a pork chop, a rolled
>beef 'joint', bacon rashers, even sausages?
>
> Did they ever exude obscene quantities of white gunge like the white
>of fried egg and enough water to drown themselves in?

I make no claims to be a foody, so I have a limited range of things that
I cook. However, when it comes to meat, I visit the village butcher,
who make their own sausages, and mince is chopped up steak (if they are
low on stock, they do it to order). Neither of them produces white
gunge, the snorkers will throw out a bit of fat once they get hot and
the skins puncture, but I would expect that. The residue in the frying
pan afterwards is about as much as was in it when I started (a slurp of
cooking oil).

When the butchers have been closed, I've used the local horriblemarkets,
and apart from not tasting as good, the outcome as been similar to
yours.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 10:54:372022/11/4
收件人
My promble is that I have to rely on carers to do my shooping, and there
isn't the time allowed for them to flit from shop to shop. Added to
that, none of them seems to have any serious knowledge about products -
don't know the bdifference between back bacon and streaky, "what's soy
mince?" "What's pearl barley?" "What are lentils?" "What's cornflour?"
"I couldn't get your extra virgin olive oil, but I got some extra virgin
rapeseed oil." (As well, FGS, as a litre of straight rapeseed oil -
exactly the same thing... Vegetable 'suet' bought despite <strong> BEEF
</strong> suet being specified. And really sad vegetabubbles being
bought - stuff only fit for the bin - one swede from the local corner
shop was full of little magi - on examining its UBD it was sometime in
June - swede bought in December... You only have to look at (say
cauliflower, calabrese, scallions etc in their packaging to see the
browning, curling and dessication of old or badly kept stuff. Do the
look? DTH?

The only butcher who recently fitted the description of your one retired
last year - aged nearly ninety.

<moan> Have you seen the price of some cider vinegar? I picked-up a
bottle of it some time ago (before all these recent jack-up price-rises)
without looking at the price. I expected it to be a quid or so at the
most - >£9...

As soon as I can get some scrumpy (carers mustn't buy anything alcoholic
for clients- understandable, I suppose) I shall make cider vinegar for
about£2.50/4 litres. (I can remember (1970s) buying scrumpy for 6d a
pint in a bar.

</moan> (FTTB)

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 11:15:262022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 13:49, Ben Newsam wrote:

> I make my own bacon nowadays. I buy pork loin in 2kg joints, and use
> my own curing mixture. Very nice it is too, but still not entirely
> free of the added water problem. A pork loin or belly bought from a
> decent butcher usually does not suffer from the problem, but can be a
> bit of a nuisance to deal with, there might be bones and of course the
> skin, and the quality varies enormously. So, I accept a small amount
> of added water for the sake of convenience, reasonably good quality,
> price, and a small amount of added water. When I cook my home cured
> bacon, there is sometimes a bit of white-coloured stuff that collects
> on top of each rasher which I then scrape off and all is well, and it
> fries nicely.

I just fried - cooked, rather - 2 rashers of back bacon (carer didn't
know the difference between back and streky) in aclosed pan, slowly. Got
about 2 tablespoons (really!) of water and about a couple of teaspoons
of white gunge in the pan.

I used to have a smokehouse when I was a smallholder - trip to the dump
with tractor and trailer yielded enough corrugated iron to re-roof an
old cart store and with 7 sheets of 9 foot tin and a shorter length or
three, and other bits and pieces, pop-rivets, a 20 foot high smokehouse
in which I smoked some of the truckles og goats' cheese I made.

In order to access the smoked stuff I had to get on the roof of the cart
store and open one side, but the effort was worth it.

Tease'n'Seize

未读,
2022年11月4日 15:18:262022/11/4
收件人
RustyHinge wrote:

> Just about to submit this to my Parish Mag:

Check the butcher isn't a big advertiser ...

John Williamson

未读,
2022年11月4日 15:32:042022/11/4
收件人
On 04/11/2022 14:54, RustyHinge wrote:

> My promble is that I have to rely on carers to do my shooping, and there
> isn't the time allowed for them to flit from shop to shop. Added to
> that, none of them seems to have any serious knowledge about products -
> don't know the bdifference between back bacon and streaky, "what's soy
> mince?" "What's pearl barley?" "What are lentils?" "What's cornflour?"
> "I couldn't get your extra virgin olive oil, but I got some extra virgin
> rapeseed oil." (As well, FGS, as a litre of straight rapeseed oil -
> exactly the same thing... Vegetable 'suet' bought despite <strong> BEEF
> </strong> suet being specified. And really sad vegetabubbles being
> bought - stuff only fit for the bin - one swede from the local corner
> shop was full of little magi - on examining its UBD it was sometime in
> June - swede bought in December... You only have to look at (say
> cauliflower, calabrese, scallions etc in their packaging to see the
> browning, curling and dessication of old or badly kept stuff. Do the
> look? DTH?

Of course not, too many carers don't care, though given the pay rates,
there's no incentive to.

> The only butcher who recently fitted the description of your one retired
> last year - aged nearly ninety.

Shame nobody wanted to follow in his footsteps, but proper butchering is
hard work, so the young ones don't want to do it.

> <moan> Have you seen the price of some cider vinegar? I picked-up a
> bottle of it some time ago (before all these recent jack-up price-rises)
> without looking at the price. I expected it to be a quid or so at the
> most - >£9...

I'm beginning to suspect that price increases are now being generated by
a random number generator.

> As soon as I can get some scrumpy (carers mustn't buy anything alcoholic
> for clients- understandable, I suppose) I shall make cider vinegar for
> about£2.50/4 litres. (I can remember (1970s) buying scrumpy for 6d a
> pint in a bar.

And the only pub that ever had it in stock (seasonal) round my way would
only sell it in half pints...

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月4日 17:12:032022/11/4
收件人
In the light of many informative replies the article is being edited. My
thanks fof all the comments and info'.

Will repost it. (not riposte it.

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月5日 05:05:212022/11/5
收件人
On 04/11/2022 19:32, John Williamson wrote:

Scrumpy

> And the only pub that ever had it in stock (seasonal) round my way would
> only sell it in half pints...

Long ago, I think it was The Bluebell (at the end of the <puff-puff>
Bluebell Line </puff-puff> would only sell theirs in schooners unless
the punter was known to be able to cope with it. Landlord used to feed
the barrels with raisins until there was no more fermentaton.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

未读,
2022年11月5日 08:00:032022/11/5
收件人
On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 09:05:19 +0000
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> Landlord used to feed
> the barrels with raisins until there was no more fermentaton.

IOW until the incohol killed the yeast ?

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

RustyHinge

未读,
2022年11月5日 10:26:282022/11/5
收件人
On 05/11/2022 11:42, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Nov 2022 09:05:19 +0000
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Landlord used to feed
>> the barrels with raisins until there was no more fermentaton.
>
> IOW until the incohol killed the yeast ?

Ar - in the tautological worms of a certain (very certain?) Auntie
Sceptic "Kills all germs dead."

Adrian

未读,
2022年11月6日 17:12:072022/11/6
收件人
In message <jsl7li...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
<johnwil...@btinternet.com> writes
>Shame nobody wanted to follow in his footsteps, but proper butchering
>is hard work, so the young ones don't want to do it.

Interestingly (or not), our village butcher seems to have attracted two
or three youngsters (teens or early 20s) who seem to be doing "stuff" in
the back of the shop as well as serving customers. Perhaps there is
some hope for the future.

Ben Newsam

未读,
2022年11月7日 04:51:322022/11/7
收件人
Adrian wrote, though the Organization header says "Occasionally":

>In message <jsl7li...@mid.individual.net>, John Williamson
><johnwil...@btinternet.com> writes
>>Shame nobody wanted to follow in his footsteps, but proper butchering
>>is hard work, so the young ones don't want to do it.
>
>Interestingly (or not), our village butcher seems to have attracted two
>or three youngsters (teens or early 20s) who seem to be doing "stuff" in
>the back of the shop as well as serving customers. Perhaps there is
>some hope for the future.

I think the shortage of people to become butchers is more down to the
difficulty in making a living than not wanting to do it.
--
Ben

Ben Newsam

未读,
2022年12月3日 13:15:002022/12/3
收件人
On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:15:25 +0000, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>I just fried - cooked, rather - 2 rashers of back bacon (carer didn't
>know the difference between back and streky) in aclosed pan, slowly. Got
>about 2 tablespoons (really!) of water and about a couple of teaspoons
>of white gunge in the pan.

Yuck.

>I used to have a smokehouse when I was a smallholder - trip to the dump
>with tractor and trailer yielded enough corrugated iron to re-roof an
>old cart store and with 7 sheets of 9 foot tin and a shorter length or
>three, and other bits and pieces, pop-rivets, a 20 foot high smokehouse
>in which I smoked some of the truckles og goats' cheese I made.
>
>In order to access the smoked stuff I had to get on the roof of the cart
>store and open one side, but the effort was worth it.

Heh. Nice.
0 个新帖子