Ballymaloe Relish

Ben Newsam

Oct 5, 2021, 7:26:20 PM10/5/21
I discovered this recently. Perfect with sausages or bacon, especially
my own home made bacon. Sometimes called Irish Relish, and soooo easy
to make. Seriously wonderful stuff:

Irish Relish (Based on Ballymaloe Relish)

Ingredients
-----------
800 grams tomatoes, chopped
200 grams cherry tomatoes, chopped
250 grams apples, chopped (mixture of cooking and eating apples)
250 grams chopped yellow onion
225 ml white wine vinegar (or distilled is fine)
175 grams raisins
300 grams granulated sugar
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Method
------
1. Throw all ingredients in to a big pot. Let sugar dissolve and then
bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Then bring down to a simmer
and leave to simmer for an hour, stirring the whole time to avoid the
end of the pot burning (using a heavy bottomed pot will help prevent
this).

2. When done, leave to cool. Taste and season if required with extra
spices or salt/pepper.

3. When cooled put into sterilized clean glass jars

I used two 400g tins of tomatoes instead of fresh, and I used currants
rather than raisins (they needed using up). I also whizzed up the
result to the consistency of ketchup rather than leaving it all lumpy.
Honestly, it is really good.
--
Ben

VictoriaB

Oct 6, 2021, 5:19:58 AM10/6/21
~~~~
Good for you! Gosh that sounds good, tart and
sweet... would go well with something salty.

I might like it lumpy, like a relish. Maybe I
could use Gran's clamp-on grinder. Hmmm...

Re pot burning - I use a heat diffuser over a very
low flame. Looks like this:

https://www.popsugar.com/food/What-Heat-Diffuser-23947284

It's nice to keep things warm TAAW.

BTW - was it you who made his own Brown Sauce...
out of plums?

v - has many nice shiny glass jars...

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Ben Newsam

Oct 6, 2021, 7:59:19 AM10/6/21
VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
Server":

>BTW - was it you who made his own Brown Sauce...
>out of plums?

Yes, it was me. Prunes rather than fresh plums, but yes indeed. I
prefer this Ballymaloe Relish on my bacon now though.
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Oct 6, 2021, 8:19:29 AM10/6/21
I useter make brown sauce in an earlier life. I can't unforget all the
ingrediens now, but basically it was On!on, garlic, swede (rutabaga),
ground herbs including marjoram, sage, thyme, tarragon and celery seed,
cider vinegar, dark muscavado sugar, dates, Bramley apple, tamarind,
ground black pepper, and if it wasn't thick enough, a pinch of xanthan gum.

--
Rusty Hinge

Ben Newsam

Oct 6, 2021, 12:17:10 PM10/6/21
RustyHinge wrote, though the Organization header says "Diss
Organisation":

>On 06/10/2021 12:59, Ben Newsam wrote:
>> VictoriaB wrote, though the Organization header says "Aioe.org NNTP
>> Server":
>>
>>> BTW - was it you who made his own Brown Sauce...
>>> out of plums?
>>
>> Yes, it was me. Prunes rather than fresh plums, but yes indeed. I
>> prefer this Ballymaloe Relish on my bacon now though.
>
>I useter make brown sauce in an earlier life. I can't unforget all the
>ingrediens now, but basically it was On!on, garlic, swede (rutabaga),
>ground herbs including marjoram, sage, thyme, tarragon and celery seed,
>cider vinegar, dark muscavado sugar, dates, Bramley apple, tamarind,
>ground black pepper, and if it wasn't thick enough, a pinch of xanthan gum.

Yes I remember dates, raisins, ummmm, and what you said, apart from
the gum.
--
Ben

RustyHinge

Oct 6, 2021, 2:37:41 PM10/6/21
Very useful is xanthan gum - absorbs water and added to water makes a
glob from bogey through snot, to rather-thicker-than-water.

Mostly, I use it for thickening milk-shakes.

Cut up a banananana and put it in a blender with enough milk jointly to
fill a mug. Add a couple or three teaspoons of drinking chocolate powder
and a saltspoon of xanthan gum and whizz it up in a blender.

Tip the contents into a biggerer mug and sip, gulp or otherwise imbibe a
rather spiffing milk-shook.