Smart ovens, dumb me

VictoriaB

Oct 1, 2021, 7:29:06 AM10/1/21
I heard about someone who went shopping for a new
kitchen range and they tried to sell him one that
he could turn on and off with his phone. A smart oven.

Seems the big advantage was that you could come
home after work to a hot meal ready and waiting.

But but wouldn't you have to leave raw food
sitting at room temp in the oven all day?

A cook stove you can turn on with nobody home.
What could possibly go wrong? Think of the times
your computer went haywire.

Better hope you don't have an enemy who knows how
to hack into to it and burn your house down
because your dog barks too much.....

v - the world is running off without me...

--
https://www.thefarside.com/

RustyHinge

Oct 1, 2021, 9:10:08 AM10/1/21
On 01/10/2021 12:29, VictoriaB wrote:

> v - the world is running off without me...

<Perishers> "The world's going to rack and Rooney." </Perishers>

--
Rusty Hinge

Adrian

Oct 1, 2021, 2:16:11 PM10/1/21
In message <sj6re0$ssl$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
<prair...@privacy.com> writes
>v - the world is running off without me...

Don't worry, I think you will find that you have plenty of company.

As some one pointed out a few weeks ago, "smart" things rarely are.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 1, 2021, 3:00:02 PM10/1/21
On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 06:29:04 -0500
VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> wrote:

> Seems the big advantage was that you could come
> home after work to a hot meal ready and waiting.

I thought that was what a slow cooker was for.

> But but wouldn't you have to leave raw food
> sitting at room temp in the oven all day?

Yep and you have to prepare something that can be cooked all at
once starting in a room temperature oven and still come out palatable - I'm
suffering imagination failure here.

Oh yes and you have to prepare dinner while you're under time
pressure and busy getting breakfast, dealing with the kids and all those
other things that make mornings so hectic for a working family.

Hmm put that sort of morning under things I don't miss.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 1, 2021, 3:27:52 PM10/1/21
On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 19:13:36 +0100
Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <sj6re0$ssl$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, VictoriaB
> <prair...@privacy.com> writes
> >v - the world is running off without me...
> >

> Don't worry, I think you will find that you have plenty of company.
>
> As some one pointed out a few weeks ago, "smart" things rarely are.
>
> Adrian
Didn't that ought to after the sig sep?

I've just tried looking at an online "magazine", only to be told that my browser (olde) doesn't support WebGL (it does).

Fuurfu.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

RustyHinge

Oct 1, 2021, 5:09:39 PM10/1/21
What you do is to prepare a course/meal and put it in the oven, cooked,
cold and maybe friz.

The idea is to squeeze a few hours more rat-racing out of the working day.

Could cuminandhi for long distance commuters.

And make more money for manurefacturers and pogrommers.

Adrian

Oct 1, 2021, 6:06:15 PM10/1/21
In message <20211001202751.d2c9...@127.0.0.1>,
"Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> writes
>On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 19:13:36 +0100
>Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
>
>> As some one pointed out a few weeks ago, "smart" things rarely are.
>>
>> Adrian
>Didn't that ought to after the sig sep?

Feel free.

Sn!pe

Oct 1, 2021, 6:58:41 PM10/1/21
Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <20211001202751.d2c9...@127.0.0.1>,
> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> writes
> >On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 19:13:36 +0100
> >Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
> >
> >> As some one pointed out a few weeks ago, "smart" things rarely are.
> >>
> >> Adrian
> >
> >Didn't that ought to after the sig sep?
> >

> Feel free.
>
> Adrian

IMO, K-M,J is correct. [shrug]

OTOH, WTH in these fine latter days of the demise of Usenet and
disregard of nettyketty; it doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

[cue: 'September Song']

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.

Adrian

Oct 1, 2021, 7:16:17 PM10/1/21
In message <1pgeaca.xok7zp1nym1hyN%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snip...@gmail.com> writes
>Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
>
>> In message <20211001202751.d2c9...@127.0.0.1>,
>> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> writes

>> >Didn't that ought to after the sig sep?
>> >

>> Feel free.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

>IMO, K-M,J is correct. [shrug]

OK, I'm lost here. I thought that K-M,J was suggesting that my comment
would be suitable for a sig block, and I was suggesting that he was
welcome to use it as one. Clearly I'm missing something.

Sn!pe

Oct 1, 2021, 7:26:22 PM10/1/21
Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <1pgeaca.xok7zp1nym1hyN%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
> <snip...@gmail.com> writes
> >Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
> >
> >> In message <20211001202751.d2c9...@127.0.0.1>,
> >> "Kerr-Mudd, John" <ad...@127.0.0.1> writes

> >> Feel free.
> >>
> >> Adrian
> >>

> >IMO, K-M,J is correct. [shrug]
> >

> OK, I'm lost here. I thought that K-M,J was suggesting that my comment
> would be suitable for a sig block, and I was suggesting that he was
> welcome to use it as one. Clearly I'm missing something.
>
> Adrian

I read it as a suggestion that "Adrian" should be below the sig-sep.
I may well have got that differently correct, I often do.

Adrian

Oct 1, 2021, 7:53:31 PM10/1/21
In message <1pgebq6.170iale1344hy7N%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
<snip...@gmail.com> writes
>I read it as a suggestion that "Adrian" should be below the sig-sep.
>I may well have got that differently correct, I often do.

Ah.

I've only been on Usenet for 23 years, but this is the first time anyone
has suggested that.

Sn!pe

Oct 1, 2021, 8:12:23 PM10/1/21
Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <1pgebq6.170iale1344hy7N%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
> <snip...@gmail.com> writes
> >I read it as a suggestion that "Adrian" should be below the sig-sep.
> >I may well have got that differently correct, I often do.
> >

> Ah.
>
> I've only been on Usenet for 23 years, but this is the first time anyone
> has suggested that.

[...]

I can beat that: November '94, and Compu$erve before that.

--
^Ï^ <https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

My pet rock Gordon just is.
[optional fourth line of .siggy goes here]

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 2, 2021, 2:00:02 AM10/2/21
On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 22:09:37 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 01/10/2021 19:43, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 06:29:04 -0500
> > VictoriaB <prair...@privacy.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Seems the big advantage was that you could come
> >> home after work to a hot meal ready and waiting.
> >
> > I thought that was what a slow cooker was for.
> >
> >> But but wouldn't you have to leave raw food
> >> sitting at room temp in the oven all day?
> >
> > Yep and you have to prepare something that can be cooked all at
> > once starting in a room temperature oven and still come out palatable -
> > I'm suffering imagination failure here.
> >
> > Oh yes and you have to prepare dinner while you're under time
> > pressure and busy getting breakfast, dealing with the kids and all those
> > other things that make mornings so hectic for a working family.
> >
> > Hmm put that sort of morning under things I don't miss.
>
> What you do is to prepare a course/meal and put it in the oven, cooked,
> cold and maybe friz.

Hmm, maybe.

> The idea is to squeeze a few hours more rat-racing out of the working day

Bbbbuutt you still have to prepare those meals and set the thing
up.

> Could cuminandhi for long distance commuters.

If you're commuting long distance it's likely because there's
somebody at home who can answer a call.

> And make more money for manurefacturers and pogrommers.

Ah yes there's the important bit.

John Williamson

Oct 2, 2021, 3:53:12 AM10/2/21
On 02/10/2021 00:52, Adrian wrote:
> In message <1pgebq6.170iale1344hy7N%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
> <snip...@gmail.com> writes
>> I read it as a suggestion that "Adrian" should be below the sig-sep.
>> I may well have got that differently correct, I often do.
>>

> Ah.
>
> I've only been on Usenet for 23 years, but this is the first time anyone
> has suggested that.
>
> Adrian

It is normal t put your name below the sig sep, as if it is above the
sig sep, it gets included in the replier's answer, rather than being
deleted. It saves the replier having to delete it.

We know who the reply is to, as your name will appear in the headers, as
long as the replier does not trim them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
(Note, name below sig sep)

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 2, 2021, 4:18:05 AM10/2/21
That was it; but it was just a passing comment; I didn't want a big fuss - I never expected the Spanish Inquisition!

Ben Newsam

Oct 2, 2021, 5:34:40 AM10/2/21
Adrian wrote, though the Organization header says "Occasionally":

>In message <1pgebq6.170iale1344hy7N%snip...@gmail.com>, Sn!pe
><snip...@gmail.com> writes
>>I read it as a suggestion that "Adrian" should be below the sig-sep.
>>I may well have got that differently correct, I often do.
>>

>Ah.
>
>I've only been on Usenet for 23 years, but this is the first time anyone
>has suggested that.
>
>Adrian

That's why it's called a sig sep. Thus:
--
Ben

Adrian

Oct 2, 2021, 7:04:32 AM10/2/21
In message <sj7tei$6ds$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>The idea is to squeeze a few hours more rat-racing out of the working day.

Has anyone ever worked out whether or not rats like to be raced ?

VictoriaB

Oct 2, 2021, 7:17:10 AM10/2/21
Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 06:29:04 -0500 VictoriaB
> <prair...@privacy.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems the big advantage was that you could
>> come home after work to a hot meal ready and
>> waiting.
>
> I thought that was what a slow cooker was for.

~~~
Exactly. And I still worry about that burning the
house down.

https://www.thefarside.com/

VictoriaB

Oct 2, 2021, 7:18:46 AM10/2/21
Adrian wrote:
> In message
> <1pgebq6.170iale1344hy7N%snip...@gmail.com>,
> Sn!pe <snip...@gmail.com> writes
>> I read it as a suggestion that "Adrian"
>> should be below the sig-sep. I may well have
>> got that differently correct, I often do.
>>

> Ah.
>
> I've only been on Usenet for 23 years, but
> this is the first time anyone has suggested
> that.
>
> Adrian
~~~~
Oooh we've both been busted by the Sig Sheriff! ;D

Nobody ever told me not to put my "v" after what
I've said and before what the sig says. Lor' knows
the trubble I've caused.

Old habits die hard, and like gravity, never seem
to take the day off.

https://www.thefarside.com/

John Williamson

Oct 2, 2021, 7:22:53 AM10/2/21
On 02/10/2021 09:18, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:

> That was it; but it was just a passing comment; I didn't want a big fuss - I never expected the Spanish Inquisition!

Cliché alert "*Abobql* rkcrpgf gur Fcnavfu Vadhvfvgvba"

Kerr-Mudd, John

Oct 2, 2021, 9:13:33 AM10/2/21
On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 12:22:50 +0100
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 02/10/2021 09:18, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>
> > That was it; but it was just a passing comment; I didn't want a big
> > fuss - I never expected the Spanish Inquisition!
> >

> Cliché alert "*Abobql* rkcrpgf gur Fcnavfu Vadhvfvgvba"

If I was a troll, I'd have taken those easy points.

Shall I mention that my parrot has recently passed?

John Williamson

Oct 2, 2021, 9:17:33 AM10/2/21
I take it a trip to Norway is on the cards in the near future?

Sn!pe

Oct 2, 2021, 9:38:04 AM10/2/21
John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 02/10/2021 14:13, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 12:22:50 +0100
> > John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> Cliché alert "*Abobql* rkcrpgf gur Fcnavfu Vadhvfvgvba"
> >
> > If I was a troll, I'd have taken those easy points.
> >

> > Shall I mention that my parrot has recently passed?
> >

> I take it a trip to Norway is on the cards in the near future?

Can you affjord that?

RustyHinge

Oct 2, 2021, 10:02:14 AM10/2/21
On 02/10/2021 14:13, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
I CBA to transliterate it

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 2, 2021, 1:30:02 PM10/2/21
On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 11:54:10 +0100
Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

> In message <sj7tei$6ds$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
> <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
> >The idea is to squeeze a few hours more rat-racing out of the working
> >day.
> >

> Has anyone ever worked out whether or not rats like to be raced ?

About as much as balls I expect.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Oct 2, 2021, 1:30:03 PM10/2/21
On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 15:02:12 +0100
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/10/2021 14:13, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 12:22:50 +0100
> > John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> >> Cliché alert "*Abobql* rkcrpgf gur Fcnavfu Vadhvfvgvba"
> >
> > If I was a troll, I'd have taken those easy points.
> >

> > Shall I mention that my parrot has recently passed?
> >
> I CBA to transliterate it

No need it's the standard Monty Python rejoinder - I didn't bother either.
Still while we're in the area, it's a bit dated but specially for the
bankers who may be lurking.

Santander; Nobody expects the Spanish acquisition.

RustyHinge

Oct 2, 2021, 4:51:22 PM10/2/21
On 02/10/2021 18:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 11:54:10 +0100
> Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
>
>> In message <sj7tei$6ds$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
>> <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>>> The idea is to squeeze a few hours more rat-racing out of the working
>>> day.
>>>

>> Has anyone ever worked out whether or not rats like to be raced ?
>
> About as much as balls I expect.

All these puns are past bearing.

Sn!pe

Oct 2, 2021, 5:47:21 PM10/2/21
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/10/2021 18:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:
> > On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 11:54:10 +0100
> > Adrian <bul...@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:
> >
> >> In message <sj7tei$6ds$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
> >> <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
> >>>

> >> Has anyone ever worked out whether or not rats like to be raced ?
> >
> > About as much as balls I expect.
>
> All these puns are past bearing.

It's plain that we are thrust into its clutch.

RustyHinge

Oct 2, 2021, 7:41:02 PM10/2/21
On 02/10/2021 22:47, Sn!pe wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 02/10/2021 18:16, Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote:

>>> About as much as balls I expect.
>>
>> All these puns are past bearing.
>
> It's plain that we are thrust into its clutch.

Oh, Good egg!

Sn!pe

Oct 2, 2021, 8:25:22 PM10/2/21
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 02/10/2021 22:47, Sn!pe wrote:
> > RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> >> All these puns are past bearing.
> >
> > It's plain that we are thrust into its clutch.
> >
> Oh, Good egg!

A double yolker nestling there.

RustyHinge

Oct 2, 2021, 11:19:49 PM10/2/21
On 03/10/2021 01:25, Sn!pe wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

>>> It's plain that we are thrust into its clutch.
>>>
>> Oh, Good egg!
>
> A double yolker nestling there.

Homozygous chic?

Sn!pe

Oct 3, 2021, 8:29:48 AM10/3/21
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/10/2021 01:25, Sn!pe wrote:
[...]
> >> Oh, Good egg!
> >
> > A double yolker nestling there.
> >
> Homozygous chic?

Birdie stylee. [preen]

RustyHinge

Oct 3, 2021, 10:18:34 AM10/3/21
On 03/10/2021 13:29, Sn!pe wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 03/10/2021 01:25, Sn!pe wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> A double yolker nestling there.
>>>
>> Homozygous chic?
>
> Birdie stylee. [preen]

So not eggs? Glof balls?

Tease'n'Seize

Oct 3, 2021, 3:34:27 PM10/3/21
Sn!pe wrote:

> I can beat that: November '94, and Compu$erve before that.

and CIX before that

Sn!pe

Oct 3, 2021, 4:48:07 PM10/3/21
Ooh! Ooh! Time to get my willy out and wave it!

In '69 I was a hardware man on NCR 315 2nd gen. mainframes
(all discrete component, diode/resistor logic) After that,
flying spot CRT / photomultiplier tube OCR scanners with
Interscan; then CMC key to disk data-prep kit; and finally
in '76, scientific minis with Interdata.

Then I saw the light and went into trade and commerce and
never looked back. ...Well, only a bit, 'coz I loved that
stuff and still do. So what's half a century between friends...

Then I had an eight year hiatus from 'putering before my first
IBM PC in '84, to do Lotus 123 spreadsheets in the office.

Um. Soz, that was a bit immodest; I don't often trot all that
lot out in public. I feel boodly ~old~ now, those memories
are clearer now than what I had for brekkie yesterday.