Re: Fly Tipping

Sn!pe

Mar 6, 2023, 7:54:08 PM3/6/23
Citizen Smith <csm...@tootingpopularfront.corn> wrote:

> Sn!pe wrote:
> > Citizen Smith <csm...@tootingpopularfront.corn> wrote:

> > > Up in Scotland they call the full English, the full
> > > Scottish. They just add a bit of haggis to it.
> > > Surprisingly nice, actually.
> >
> > Don't forget the 'white slice' and/or the 'square slice'.
> > I believe they're an anaemic form of black pudd'n.
> >

> I've had a few Full Scottish Breakfasts and not had the
> white slice yet. The ones I had came with the round black
> pudding. Some also had potato pancakes (very stodgy) and
> some come with a square of sausage meat which they call
> sausage. What we call sausages they call links.

Yep, that sounds about right. The thing I really like about a
Full Scottish Brekkie is it's even more efficient at furring-up
the arteries than the English variety is. I reckon this poast
is worthy of an xpoast to the Caff, that being the definitive
brekkie froup.

[xpoast : alt.2eggs.etc]

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

We are the punchline to the cosmic joke:
<http://www.last-thursday.org>

Sn!pe

Mar 6, 2023, 7:59:38 PM3/6/23
Citizen Smith <csm...@tootingpopularfront.corn> wrote:

> Surreyman wrote:
> > Citizen Smith wrote:

> > > Up in Scotland they call the full English, the full Scottish. They
> > > just add a bit of haggis to it. Surprisingly nice, actually.
> >
> > And full Welsh - plus bara lawr (seaweed) and cockles.
>
> That may be very nice. Doesn't sound it though! :-)

I am a bold brekkieteer; I'll try anything once if there's at least
one other person eating it (this xpoasted to the Caff too).

RustyHinge

Mar 7, 2023, 4:04:38 AM3/7/23
On 07/03/2023 00:54, Sn!pe wrote:
> Citizen Smith <csm...@tootingpopularfront.corn> wrote:
>
>> Sn!pe wrote:

>>> Don't forget the 'white slice' and/or the 'square slice'.
>>> I believe they're an anaemic form of black pudd'n.

The square slice is aka 'slice' or 'Lorne Sausage', and the white one is
marag geall - white pudding. White pudding is made from oatmeal, chopped
suet, chopped or minced suet and shredded On!on, salt and pepper, mixed
to a paste with water and boiled in a basin (commercially, stuffed into
a sausage skin)

>> I've had a few Full Scottish Breakfasts and not had the
>> white slice yet. The ones I had came with the round black
>> pudding. Some also had potato pancakes (very stodgy) and
>> some come with a square of sausage meat which they call
>> sausage. What we call sausages they call links.

I like (Scottish) black pudding, white and sweet (or fruit) ditto.

There's another special pudding called ceann cropaig (literally head
pudding) which is about one part fish (usually cod's) liver mashed into
two parts of oatmeal, with finely-chopped On!ons, lashings of white
pepper and traditionally stuffed into a cleaned-out cod's head, the
exposed pud coated with plain flour and the whole caboodle dropped into
boiling water, and boiled. Generally, it is now boiled in a teacup, mug
or pudding basin. Eaten with fish and tatties, I like it a lot.

> Yep, that sounds about right. The thing I really like about a
> Full Scottish Brekkie is it's even more efficient at furring-up
> the arteries than the English variety is. I reckon this poast
> is worthy of an xpoast to the Caff, that being the definitive
> brekkie froup.
>
> [xpoast : alt.2eggs.etc]

On a visit to The Isle of Lewisin the 1960s with my then fiancée we
stopped at Uig on Skye to catch the Macbraynes ferry to Tarbert and I
ordered a mixed grill for breakfast in the café there.

Now that *was* a full Scottish: AFAICR it consisted of a pork chop, lamb
chop, kidney, liver, bacon, sausage, black pudding, white pudding, sweet
(or fruit) pudding, haggis, mushrooms, baked beans, tomatoes, hash
brown, chips and fried bread.

I think that was all.

--
Rusty Hinge

RustyHinge

Mar 7, 2023, 4:17:16 AM3/7/23
Some seaweeds are rather good. I've never tried bara lawr (laver bread?)
but I like dulse and carrageen, and I have some Japanese dried seaweeds
in jars for adding to thins and making soups.

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Mar 7, 2023, 6:00:05 AM3/7/23
On Tue, 7 Mar 2023 09:04:37 +0000
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> marag geall - white pudding. White pudding is made from oatmeal, chopped
> suet, chopped or minced suet and shredded On!on, salt and pepper, mixed
> to a paste with water and boiled in a basin (commercially, stuffed into
> a sausage skin)

Yep, a full Irish is like a full English with added black and white
puddings.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith
Odds and Ends at http://www.sohara.org/

Sn!pe

Mar 9, 2023, 4:06:41 PM3/9/23

> >> That may be very nice. Doesn't sound it though! :-)
> >
> > I am a bold brekkieteer; I'll try anything once if there's at least
> > one other person eating it (this xpoasted to the Caff too).
> >
> > [xpoast: alt.2eggs.etc]
>
> Some seaweeds are rather good. I've never tried bara lawr (laver bread?)
> but I like dulse and carrageen, and I have some Japanese dried seaweeds
> in jars for adding to thins and making soups.

I've never knowingly had seaweed, I must try it sometime.

%

Mar 9, 2023, 4:55:26 PM3/9/23
Sn!pe wrote:

>>> I am a bold brekkieteer; I'll try anything once if there's at least
>>> one other person eating it (this xpoasted to the Caff too).
>>>
>>> [xpoast: alt.2eggs.etc]
>>
>> Some seaweeds are rather good. I've never tried bara lawr (laver bread?)
>> but I like dulse and carrageen, and I have some Japanese dried seaweeds
>> in jars for adding to thins and making soups.
>
> I've never knowingly had seaweed, I must try it sometime.

it's good a tad salty

RustyHinge

Mar 9, 2023, 10:13:45 PM3/9/23
On 09/03/2023 21:06, Sn!pe wrote:

>>> I am a bold brekkieteer; I'll try anything once if there's at least
>>> one other person eating it (this xpoasted to the Caff too).
>>>
>>> [xpoast: alt.2eggs.etc]
>>
>> Some seaweeds are rather good. I've never tried bara lawr (laver bread?)
>> but I like dulse and carrageen, and I have some Japanese dried seaweeds
>> in jars for adding to thins and making soups.
>
> I've never knowingly had seaweed, I must try it sometime.

Stag Bakey in Stornowayn do a brilliant seaweed-flavoured water biscuit.
It's surprisingly widely available - found some in West Mersea near
Colchester.

Sn!pe

Mar 11, 2023, 10:17:19 AM3/11/23
Surreyman <alansp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > > I've never knowingly had seaweed, I must try it sometime.
> > >
> > it's good a tad salty
>
> Being semi-Welsh I ought to defend our national stodge.
> However, I'm not over-partial although I eat it when served.
> And I do love leeks!
> But daffodils are pretty (&) tasteless.

I performed my Rite of Spring yesterday, as I have done for the last
more than 50 years without missing any: I eat a daffodil flower which
must come from my own garden. Not any of the green parts or the
bulb, which are of course poisonous, only the petals. They have a
slightly peppery flavour. It hasn't affect asn't aff asn affeffecteded
me at all.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Sn!pe

Mar 11, 2023, 11:08:22 AM3/11/23
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> >> Some seaweeds are rather good. I've never tried bara lawr (laver bread?)
> >> but I like dulse and carrageen, and I have some Japanese dried seaweeds
> >> in jars for adding to thins and making soups.
> >
> > I've never knowingly had seaweed, I must try it sometime.
>
> Stag Bakey in Stornowayn do a brilliant seaweed-flavoured water biscuit.
> It's surprisingly widely available - found some in West Mersea near
> Colchester.

Interesting - I'll look out for that.
I do like a nice water biscuit with my cheese.

--
^Ï^. – Sn!pe – My pet rock Gordon just is.

<https://youtu.be/_kqytf31a8E>

Citizen Smith

Mar 11, 2023, 1:54:17 PM3/11/23
Heh. Worth a go while I wait for mushroom season.

RustyHinge

Mar 11, 2023, 7:06:26 PM3/11/23
It *is* mushroom season - morels are about, and at the end of next
month, St George's mushroom amongst others.

vickiebee

Mar 12, 2023, 6:12:59 AM3/12/23
Sn!pe wrote:
[...]
> I do like a nice water biscuit with my cheese.

~~~
Is that what the Royal Navy calls "hardtack"?

https://www.thefarside.com/

Sn!pe

Mar 12, 2023, 6:42:27 AM3/12/23
vickiebee <prairied...@aol.com> wrote:

> Sn!pe wrote:
> [...]
> > I do like a nice water biscuit with my cheese.
> >
> ~~~
> Is that what the Royal Navy calls "hardtack"?

Hmm, I dunno, V. They're nice, simple, thin, crispy crackers
with no frills. I think we'll have to find a matelot to ask about
'hardtack'.

vickiebee

Mar 12, 2023, 6:50:35 AM3/12/23
Sn!pe wrote:
> vickiebee <prairied...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Sn!pe wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I do like a nice water biscuit with my cheese.
>>>
>> ~~~
>> Is that what the Royal Navy calls "hardtack"?

> Hmm, I dunno, V. They're nice, simple, thin, crispy crackers
> with no frills. I think we'll have to find a matelot to ask about
> 'hardtack'.

~~~
Is that what the Royal Navy calls a sailor?
;)
v - can do this all day
--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Sn!pe

Mar 12, 2023, 7:49:36 AM3/12/23
There's a certain kind of person who calls former sailors
"hairy-arsed ex-matelots" but I'm not one of them, oh dear
me no, that would be very rude.

RustyHinge

Mar 12, 2023, 8:38:20 AM3/12/23
On 12/03/2023 11:49, Sn!pe wrote:
> vickiebee <prairied...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Sn!pe wrote:

>>> Hmm, I dunno, V. They're nice, simple, thin, crispy crackers
>>> with no frills. I think we'll have to find a matelot to ask about
>>> 'hardtack'.
>>>
>> ~~~
>> Is that what the Royal Navy calls a sailor?
>> ;)
>> v - can do this all day
>>

> There's a certain kind of person who calls former sailors
> "hairy-arsed ex-matelots" but I'm not one of them, oh dear
> me no, that would be very rude.

Indeed: especially as we seem to be having a welcome rapprochement with
our Cross (not, I hope, irritated cross) -Channel neighbours.

Adrian

Mar 12, 2023, 10:17:42 AM3/12/23
In message <tuk8j9$314d2$1...@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
<prairied...@aol.com> writes
>Sn!pe wrote:
>[...]
>> I do like a nice water biscuit with my cheese.
>>
>~~~
>Is that what the Royal Navy calls "hardtack"?

HI V, how are you doing ?

Hardtack is something very different. They were biscuits which were
meant to store for a long time and (allegedly) provide a home for
weevils. I don't think they were eaten for their tastiness, rather
their ability to fill a corner of a hard working sailor's stomach,
hopefully with a degree of nutrition (although I don't think the weevils
were part of that plan).

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Adrian

Mar 12, 2023, 10:17:42 AM3/12/23
In message <tukh3q$32irc$1...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>Indeed: especially as we seem to be having a welcome rapprochement with
>our Cross (not, I hope, irritated cross) -Channel neighbours.

From what I see in the news (I know I shouldn't watch/listen/read it)
they do seem fairly cross, but perhaps not with us. Methinks they are
not at harmony with their own government, but to go further would take
us into the realm of polytics, and we don't want to go there do we.

Back to breakfast.

Sn!pe

Mar 12, 2023, 12:57:16 PM3/12/23
Aw-haw-he-haw, bonjours, matelot! À l'eau, c'est l'heure.

RustyHinge

Mar 12, 2023, 1:09:06 PM3/12/23
On 12/03/2023 16:57, Sn!pe wrote:

> Aw-haw-he-haw, bonjours, matelot! À l'eau, c'est l'heure.

Aw-haw-sea-saw bon-dit, Matter-a-lot, À l'eau à l'eau, à l'eau, c'est
les Gendarmes...

Sn!pe

Mar 12, 2023, 4:50:29 PM3/12/23
RustyHinge <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12/03/2023 16:57, Sn!pe wrote:
>
> > Aw-haw-he-haw, bonjours, matelot! À l'eau, c'est l'heure.
>
> Aw-haw-sea-saw bon-dit, Matter-a-lot, À l'eau à l'eau, à l'eau, c'est
> les Gendarmes...

≈:o)

Citizen Smith

Mar 12, 2023, 8:29:15 PM3/12/23
Yebbut, I don't think they'll affect me the way the daff
petals did Sn!pe.

Citizen Smith

Mar 12, 2023, 8:35:07 PM3/12/23
Sn!pe wrote:

> vickiebee <prairied...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Sn!pe wrote:

> > > Hmm, I dunno, V. They're nice, simple, thin, crispy crackers
> > > with no frills. I think we'll have to find a matelot to ask about
> > > 'hardtack'.
> > >
> > ~~~
> > Is that what the Royal Navy calls a sailor?
> > ;)
> > v - can do this all day
> >

> There's a certain kind of person who calls former sailors
> "hairy-arsed ex-matelots" but I'm not one of them, oh dear
> me no, that would be very rude.

That reminds me of this. After walking my dog one day I
told my daughter that our dog that absolutely hated
German Shepherds had had a go at a hairy Alsatian. She
looked at me puzzled and said, "Why did she have a go at
a hairy arsed asian?"

Fran

Mar 13, 2023, 4:24:33 AM3/13/23
On 12/03/2023 9:12 pm, vickiebee wrote:
> Sn!pe wrote:
> [...]
>> I do like a nice water biscuit with my cheese.
>>
> ~~~
> Is that what the Royal Navy calls "hardtack"?

'Water biscuits' are prolly what in USian is called a 'cracker'.

I've recently had a real hankering for tiny cocktail onions so have
recently been eating crackers with Red Leicester cheese and a cocktail
onion on top.

Fran

Mar 13, 2023, 4:24:34 AM3/13/23
Speaking of hard tack and sailor.... Have you read Patrick O'Brien's
Aubry/Maturin series?

vickiebee

Mar 13, 2023, 6:22:40 AM3/13/23
Adrian wrote:
> In message <tuk8j9$314d2$1...@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
> <prairied...@aol.com> writes
>> Sn!pe wrote: [...]
>>> I do like a nice water biscuit with my cheese.
>>>
>> ~~~ Is that what the Royal Navy calls "hardtack"?

> HI V, how are you doing ?
>
> Hardtack is something very different. They were biscuits which were
> meant to store for a long time and (allegedly) provide a home for
> weevils. I don't think they were eaten for their tastiness, rather
> their ability to fill a corner of a hard working sailor's stomach,
> hopefully with a degree of nutrition (although I don't think the
> weevils were part of that plan).
>
> Adrian
~~~~
Hello Adrian, nice to see you. Thanks for the history lesson... which
made me really appreciate my Ritz crackers and saltines.

Now about hard cheese....
https://www.thefarside.com/

vickiebee

Mar 13, 2023, 6:31:52 AM3/13/23
~~~~
Red Leicester eh? I'll have to try that. I've been on a Braunschweiger
and cream cheese kick wiv pickled onion on saltines or bagels, doesn't
matter.

https://www.thefarside.com/

vickiebee

Mar 13, 2023, 6:34:39 AM3/13/23
~~~
I don't think so, however I do enjoy historical seafaring tales.

Sez she who almost had to finish Moby Dick at gunpoint. I don't know why
it was such a dang chore to read.

v - loved Mutiny on the Bounty.
--
https://www.thefarside.com/

Adrian

Mar 13, 2023, 11:05:34 AM3/13/23
In message <tumthe$3mvg9$1...@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
<prairied...@aol.com> writes
>Hello Adrian, nice to see you. Thanks for the history lesson... which
>made me really appreciate my Ritz crackers and saltines.
>
>Now about hard cheese....

It has the advantage that you don't need a spoon to eat it with, unlike
some soft cheeses. On the other hand, if you teeth are past their prime

Adrian

Mar 13, 2023, 11:15:34 AM3/13/23
In message <tummhc$3ks7s$2...@dont-email.me>, Fran
<gettingmoredelusiona...@nutcasewannabeFran.com> writes
>I've recently had a real hankering for tiny cocktail onions so have
>recently been eating crackers with Red Leicester cheese and a cocktail
>onion on top.

Red Leicester is OK, but around here it is generally used as a cooking
ingredient, rather than eaten directly.

For eating cheese, Wensleydale or failing that a Stilton or Shropshire
Blue.

Mike Fleming

Mar 13, 2023, 3:18:20 PM3/13/23
On 13/03/2023 15:04, Adrian wrote:
> In message <tummhc$3ks7s$2...@dont-email.me>, Fran
> <gettingmoredelusiona...@nutcasewannabeFran.com> writes
>> I've recently had a real hankering for tiny cocktail onions so have
>> recently been eating crackers with Red Leicester cheese and a cocktail
>> onion on top.
>>

> Red Leicester is OK, but around here it is generally used as a cooking
> ingredient, rather than eaten directly.
>
> For eating cheese, Wensleydale or failing that a Stilton or Shropshire
> Blue.

Red Lie Sester is jolly nice with Finn Crisp - https://www.finncrisp.com/

RustyHinge

Mar 13, 2023, 8:42:03 PM3/13/23
On 13/03/2023 15:01, Adrian wrote:
> In message <tumthe$3mvg9$1...@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
> <prairied...@aol.com> writes
>> Hello Adrian, nice to see you. Thanks for the history lesson... which
>> made me really appreciate my Ritz crackers and saltines.
>>
>> Now about hard cheese....
>
> It has the advantage that you don't need a spoon to eat it with, unlike
> some soft cheeses.  On the other hand, if you teeth are past their prime

There's a grate solution...

Fran

Mar 13, 2023, 11:04:06 PM3/13/23
On 13/03/2023 9:34 pm, vickiebee wrote:
> Fran wrote:

>>> ~~~ Is that what the Royal Navy calls a sailor? ;) v - can do this
>>> all day
>>
>> Speaking of hard tack and sailor....  Have you read Patrick
>> O'Brien's Aubry/Maturin series?
> ~~~
> I don't think so, however I do enjoy historical seafaring tales.

The first book in the series is 'Master and Commander'. I've now read
the whole series 3 times.

Brilliant writing.

> Sez she who almost had to finish Moby Dick at gunpoint. I don't know why
> it was such a dang chore to read.

I've never read Moby Dick. I really, really should do so.

RustyHinge

Mar 14, 2023, 7:24:38 AM3/14/23
Capt. Bligh didn't.

Adrian

Mar 14, 2023, 9:56:21 AM3/14/23
In message <tuofsq$8uc$2...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
<rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>On 13/03/2023 15:01, Adrian wrote:
>> In message <tumthe$3mvg9$1...@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
>><prairied...@aol.com> writes
>>> Hello Adrian, nice to see you. Thanks for the history lesson... which
>>> made me really appreciate my Ritz crackers and saltines.
>>>
>>> Now about hard cheese....
>> It has the advantage that you don't need a spoon to eat it with,
>>unlike some soft cheeses.  On the other hand, if you teeth are past
>>their prime ...
>
>There's a grate solution...

Do you have a burning ambition to implement it ?

RustyHinge

Mar 14, 2023, 7:03:09 PM3/14/23
On 14/03/2023 13:51, Adrian wrote:
> In message <tuofsq$8uc$2...@dont-email.me>, RustyHinge
> <rusty...@foobar.girolle.co.uk> writes
>> On 13/03/2023 15:01, Adrian wrote:
>>> In message <tumthe$3mvg9$1...@dont-email.me>, vickiebee
>>> <prairied...@aol.com> writes

>>>  It has the advantage that you don't need a spoon to eat it with,
>>> unlike some soft cheeses.  On the other hand, if you teeth are past
>>> their prime ...
>>
>> There's a grate solution...
>>

> Do you have a burning ambition to implement it ?

No, I'll leave that to an au pair of my yoof - "Cheese off toast!"