Anyone tried basa?

RustyHinge

Jun 9, 2023, 8:09:16 AM6/9/23
Or was it in the Caff I heard about it

Anyway, just dispatched carer with shopping list and she *might* come
back with some basa - but

She's one of the Polish carers and they tend to get something <HHGTTG>
nearly, but not completely unlike what I want </HHGTTG>

F'rinstance, on shooping list was in capital letters 1 pack of
THICK-CUT, SMOKED STREAKY BACON and small (yellow) English onions.

What did I get? Because the bacon was marked at so-much for 2 packs, 2
packs of paper-thin unsmoked back bacon, and pickling onions.

'Bacon' is still in the freezer 'cos I can't think of a use for it, but
I did pickle the On!ons.

We'll see how *this* one does...

--
Rusty Hinge

Chris Elvidge

Jun 9, 2023, 9:32:38 AM6/9/23
On 09/06/2023 13:09, RustyHinge wrote:
> Or was it in the Caff I heard about it
>
> Anyway, just dispatched carer with shopping list and she *might* come
> back with some basa - but
>
> She's one of the Polish carers and they tend to get something <HHGTTG>
> nearly, but not completely unlike what I want </HHGTTG>
>
> F'rinstance, on shooping list was in capital letters 1 pack of
> THICK-CUT, SMOKED STREAKY BACON and small (yellow) English onions.
>
> What did I get? Because the bacon was marked at so-much for 2 packs, 2
> packs of paper-thin unsmoked back bacon, and pickling onions.
>
> 'Bacon' is still in the freezer 'cos I can't think of a use for it, but
> I did pickle the On!ons.
>
> We'll see how *this* one does...

Yes nice fish - try Aldi/Lidl - frozen. Can get fillets for own
preparation or "lightly-dusted" for ready eating.

Can you not fill in the form at one of the supermarket click-and-collect
(min £25 or so) (remember to check the box that says "no sustitutions")
and then get the carer to pick it up?

--
Chris Elvidge
England

RustyHinge

Jun 9, 2023, 8:50:36 PM6/9/23
£25? Where would I put it all? My bro'-outlaw (who always knows what's
best for me) with my money got me a (brand) new matching fridge and
freezer when I came out of hospital/respite care.

My ickle Electrolux thermocycle thing was obviously not good enough, (I
grant you, it wasn't dirt cheap to run) but it worked, and aided economy
in that it only admitted a small bulk of stuff. Howsomedever, the new
freezer was much too small - the economy of freezers relies on one's
ability to buy stuff when it's in glut and use it when wanted.

So, he didn't try the 14 cu foot one in the shed. I shall get round to
trying it as soon as it's convenient.

But all this is by-the-bye: I can't get out to collect the £25
squidsworth - being bed or wheelchairbound a trip to the
not-so-clevermarket takes me all day, that's if I can find a taxi to
take me ensconced in chariot, and later, back again.

Anyway, I got some fillets of basa and they rather match Earth's entry
in HHGTTU - 'mostly harmless'. Morrisons flog them in bags of several
frozen fillets, but have stopped carrying the smoked ones. Prolly OK for
bulkinh-up fish pie when there's something pungent available.

RustyHinge

Jun 10, 2023, 8:54:25 AM6/10/23
Bad form - follow-up to my non follow-up but but but

She really didn't do badly. Got the (frozen) basa fillets. No little
gems so I had an iceberg - not good news - the pancakes? Scotch pancakes
fine, but the big ones? Something called 'buttermilk pancakes' arrived -
things like biggerer Scotch jobbies madewith SR flour. I expect I'll eat
them. Unfortunately, ready-made pancakes always seem to be pre-sugared
which is contra-indicated for stuffing with fish and salad etc.

Why is *everything* polluted with sugar? Tomato sauce is sweet enough to
splosh on ice-cream, soups taste almost like desserts...

Which reminds me: I made a big batch of sauce from a bag of overripe
tomatoes - mmust get a carer to root it out.

RustyHinge

Jun 14, 2023, 8:22:00 PM6/14/23
More bad form: editing and reposting last post which must have suffered
'premature poking'™

> She really didn't do badly. Got the (frozen) basa fillets. No little
> gems so I had an iceberg - not good news - gave it to another carer: I need a shopping pad with printed at the top of each page *NO SUBSTITUTIONS* - the pancakes? Scotch pancakes
> fine, but the big ones? Something called 'buttermilk pancakes' arrived -
> things like biggerer Scotch jobbies. I expect I'll eat > them. Unfortunately, ready-made pancakes always seem to be pre-sugared which is contra-indicated for stuffing with fish and salad etc.

> Why is *everything* polluted with sugar? Tomato sauce is sweet enough to
> splosh on ice-cream, soups taste almost like desserts...
>
> Which reminds me: I made a big batch of sauce from a bag of overripe
> tomatoes - must get a carer to root it out.

RustyHinge

Jun 15, 2023, 12:07:12 AM6/15/23
Take 1 basa fillet and cook it lightly. When cold, cut it into short,
thin strips and add a pot of white crab meat.

Mix gently but thoroughly and lightly microwave it in a closed pot/dish etc.

The fish will acquire flavour from the crab.

John Williamson

Jul 2, 2023, 4:26:06 PM7/2/23
On 09/06/2023 13:09, RustyHinge wrote:
> Or was it in the Caff I heard about it
>
> Anyway, just dispatched carer with shopping list and she *might* come
> back with some basa - but

I just tried some bread crumbed basa goujonms in spiced crumb, and it
tasted of spicy breadcrumbs. If I dipped it into BBQ sauce, it tasted of
spicy breadcrumbs inn BBQ sauce. The texture was bland, too.

I doubt it'll be on the shopping list again.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

RustyHinge

Jul 2, 2023, 5:14:23 PM7/2/23
Howsomedever, if you cook it lightly with cra meat it takes on the
flavour of - you've guessed - crab, and as such is a handy thing to keep
in the freezeragainst the time when you want to bulk-up something with a
similar texture but an inflated price.

I have a bag of fillets so stored.