newbieschool

Mike Fallopian

Dec 2, 2009, 5:52:07 AM12/2/09
pinging anyone who knows what newbieschool used to be, and perhaps
could point me to a current incarnation...

peace!

Scootz

Dec 2, 2009, 6:49:40 AM12/2/09

Hey Lou, ltns.
Scooter
--
icq# 30260714
scooter...@hotmail.com

The Merovingian

Jan 4, 2010, 11:16:18 AM1/4/10

I used to follow that group religiously. The alt.2600 tree was a rough
and tumble collection of tech-savvy, short tempered hackers and
warezers who had no time or patience with lamers who wanted the world
fed to them step by step. People new to the scene were caught in a
"catch 22" situation: you could not be accepted unless you religiously
followed the "rules of the road" and you couldn't learn the "rules of
the road" until you were accepted. Many people were subject to heaps
of abuse for asking what was classically "A stupid question posted a
hundred times a day". Some deserved the abuse because they were
stupid, others were just ignorant. It is a fact of genetics that there
is no hope for the stupid, but ignorance can be cured. A member of the
group named Maryann created a local Usenet group on a news server
running on her personal computer on a dialup modem line that carried
just a few public Usenet groups and one that became very special to a
great number of people, local.newbieschool. The name itself, to anyone
familiar with Usenet hierarchical naming, signified that the group
was available only on that particular server. Maryann use a free dns
redirector (domain name service) to redirect maryann.dynip.com to her
machine, so the address was always news://maryann.dynip.com/local.newbieschool
since it was on dialup and would cycle from time to time, sometimes it
took the worlds DNS servers time to catch up to the new ip address
that the dialup system furnished, so maryann1~9 were added to make
sure that somewhere in the list, the actual current address was
available. The simple rules of the group were what made it work:No
begging and no flaming. It was a place to learn just about anything
you wanted to know about file transfers, software configuration,what-
have-you. Many of the tough hided regulars from alt.2600.warez would
"dip downstairs" and help out some of the new people. In a short time,
other members of the group started carrying the group and established
lightning fast cross feeds of the posts between themselves. This meant
more places you could get the identical group and provided a total
backup of the whole system. If I remember correctly, as it has been
some years, the peak number of cross connected servers was five.
Newbieschool matured into a close knit community and many of the
regulars of alt.2600.warez, "upstairs" moved in and abandoned the day-
to-day nasty battles with trolls, lamers, and some of the less
pleasant characters "upstairs". Maryann was very tech (a huge
understatement) but was quite approachable. She used to post what she
called "Technical Tirades" from time to time that rivaled anything you
would find in a "Peter Norton's Guide". She, and the other news ops
that shared the group, enforced the simple rules of newbieschool with
an iron fist in a velvet glove. It was seldom necessary, as the group
was pretty self-policing. As Maryann faded from the scene, without so
much as a goodbye, the group continued for years after, carried on
various members local news servers.FTP faded as better technologies
like torrents made file transfers easier and faster. The last I found
mention of the group was a goodbye message from cloggy that explains
it best. I, too, was looking for it to see if the same people I
remembered from years past were still around and I found cloggy's
message, much like a last will and testament for the group. To the
best of my knowledge newbieschool is not on the net anywhere and there
are no archives. Like a fine performance of a Broadway musical, it
exists only in the memories of the audience and the actors. I learned
an incredible amount there and was a huge fan. Maryann was like "Kim
Commando" on steroids and meth.

I hope this answered your question, with my trip down memory lane.

Petro Gibraltar

Jan 5, 2010, 1:44:30 AM1/5/10

speednews.no-ip.com

"The Merovingian" <cacad...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

ChairMan

May 29, 2013, 2:35:06 AM5/29/13
jeff.la...@gmail.com wrote:
> Some of us have kept in touch socially on Facebook. With
> the
> profligation of torrent trackers, the increasing maturity
> of free
> software, etc. the filesharing/FTP stuff has gone by the
> wayside for
> the most part. All that's left is the pleasure of one
> another's
> virtual company. There's myself (RedBeard), Val, UK,
> TurboNick,
> CyMan, Tracer Bullet, dp (dapirate), milburgr, dw, Mopar,
> Raver,
> Cougar and perhaps one or two others who keep in touch.

aw the good ole days. Remember all those fine servers and a
few more
what about ole grumpy al?

krnkst...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2013, 4:07:25 AM11/12/13
Twister is around...
Like alot of ya, I lived at #newbieschool..
Miss it too...

pierre...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2014, 11:20:15 PM6/27/14
Wow, was it really that long ago?
The endless battles with The Acolyte, beers and smokes to Junebug, Al or was it AI :) Uncle }{umanus, Good times.

drdoolittle

Aug 15, 2014, 4:05:30 AM8/15/14
On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:20:15 -0700 (PDT), pierre...@gmail.com
wrote:
OMG!! UNK!! Pierre!! It's been soooo long since I've been here, I
didn't figure ANYONE from my time would still be around!! If you're
here unk, please hit me up! This is the female drdoolittle from the
90's!!!

drdoolittle

Aug 15, 2014, 4:12:12 AM8/15/14
OMG!! Unk!! Pierre!! I was hoping you guys would still be around!
Please Unk, if you remember the female drdroolittle from the 90's, let
me know! I'd LOVE to catch up with ALL you guys from my time! And
please don't flame...it's been a VERY long time since I've been
here...it will take me a little time to re-familarize myself with the
software! I'm just sooo blown away that I see at least a couple of
familiar names from way back in the day!!

On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 20:20:15 -0700 (PDT), pierre...@gmail.com

drdoolittle

Aug 15, 2014, 4:34:55 AM8/15/14
Unk, I can't believe I'm having to read the help section to figure out
out how to use agent! 'Course, it may not help that I've been sippin'
on Svedka vodka all night either! This is ridiculous though...remember
when this prog used to be sooo easy?! I'll keep checking back to see
if any of the old school guys are still here while I read up on the
things that have changed since I've been gone! If anyone remembers me,
let's reminisce!

Rick

Feb 12, 2015, 4:01:24 PM2/12/15
Actually I'm using Thunderbird to read newsgroups since agent seems to
cost money, or am I looking at a paid version?

aeshma....@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2015, 4:58:34 AM8/15/15
Not sure if anyone's still around to see this, but wOOg and slutpuppy also.

Pierre61

Nov 24, 2018, 7:50:47 PM11/24/18
That was.. beautiful :)