Hacking is not wrong

MarcoPolo

Oct 11, 2001, 12:15:11 AM10/11/01
Hey, is me again.
Well, in my language arts class, we were given a page of topics to
choose from and argue wright or wrong. Instead of choosing cloning, or
abortion, I thought it might be worthwhile to choose computer hacking. Alot
of people have been tricked by the media to believe in the *evil* hacker,
stealing cradit card numbers, and costing companies millions. Well, even
though it will probably get be black-listed with the school disitict, I
thought it would be worthwhile to write about computer hacking.
One of my main points is that hacking is more about exploration, human
nature, and as long as it doesn't cause any damage, why should people be
concerned?
I plan to get more facts from some resources the school has, and
anything I can find off the internet, but if you have something you'd want
included (sure, it seems small, but if we can change the minds of 40 people
today, just image how many tomorrow) or if you know of a good site on hacker
rights, then please respond here, and let me know.

ThePsyko

Oct 11, 2001, 12:32:23 AM10/11/01
On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 04:15:11 GMT, "MarcoPolo" <Marc...@BDKu.com>
wrote:

stfu or I'll hax0r j00r bank and steal your credit card!!!!! :)

ThePsyko
Public Enemy #7
"God told me to skin you alive"

http://prozac.iscool.net

MarcoPolo

Oct 11, 2001, 8:05:14 PM10/11/01
Hey, it's me again.

Noname

Oct 12, 2001, 4:29:13 PM10/12/01
I once hacked my employers server to get my and my coworkers
job done. The server was bogged down by a big spool/qued job
sent by a remote user. I was never caugth but I was detected
since the job I stopped refused to start again and had to be deleted.
To misslead the admin I left a note in kid style ... I guess they
at least got a lesson and started to be cautious with passing around
admin privilegies to retarded users.

NN

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:05:14 GMT, "MarcoPolo" <Marc...@BDKu.com>

neosadist

Oct 12, 2001, 10:59:01 PM10/12/01
well it's wrong cause this is MY computer and i don't want you to fuck it
up. i will do everything in my power to prevent you from getting in, and if
you get in, i will fuck up YOUR computer and your life as well.

but hacking isn't just the scenario i've put in this message. there are
probably times it's good, times it's bad. it's a toss up. oh well. i'll
shut up now.

NeoSadist

"MarcoPolo" <Marc...@BDKu.com> wrote in message

Anonymous

Oct 15, 2001, 5:51:26 PM10/15/01
"MarcoPolo" <Marc...@BDKu.com> wrote in message news:<_sqx7.6208$si5.8...@typhoon.kc.rr.com>...

Well, if you are going to write a report, make sure that you get both
sides of the story. Ask yourself these questions;

- why did somebody get so naffed off with the Net Send around your
campus/network? Perhaps because it caused unnecessary network
traffic/load/confusion with the user community/generated a lot of work
for the sys admin staff?

- can you really enter a site and not leave any
damage/footprints/traffic etc? The very fact that you are there means
that your presence has an impact, in the same way that when you enter
somebody's house, you will leave footprints on the floor, carbon
dioxide in the air, bacteria on whatever you touch etc. The more
people follow in your footsteps, the more the deposits build up, the
more they affect their surrounding environment.

- hacking causes network traffic and uses resources, both human and
digital. These resources in turn cost money. Hacking therefore costs
companies money . . . not too hard to figure out really!

- some data/information is private, privacy should be respected. How
would you feel if somebody found a way to crawl inside your brain, and
read your inner most thoughts (yep, maybe even the one that is making
you squirm right now)

So when you are writing your report, keep in mind that;

- hacking has an affect on the network being hacked, regardless of how
careful you are

- intrusion is, in its nature, intrusive

I'm not saying don't hack, just if you do and choose to shout about
it, atleast have the courage/clarity of vision to understand all the
aspects and consequences of your actions.

"Better to be the person that I am and fail you, then be the person
that you would have me be and fail myself"