SENATE

1 view

re...@ecn.ab.ca

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

Computer hackers attacked the U.S. Senate's main Web site Friday, the
second such assault on the high-profile Internet page in just over two
weeks.

The hackers defaced the Web page, www.senate.gov, but left its overall
look similar to how it normally appears. For example, they left untouched
a link to a ``today in history'' feature but substituted news that
``Senator Robert F. Kennedy, D-N.Y., was as sassinated.''

They also altered the site's security notice to read, ``Security and lame
notice.''

The FBI already was investigating a May 27 attack on the Web site.

``The FBI is investigating the first incident. That's under our purview,''
spokeswoman Debbie Weierman said. ``This current (attack), I can't give
you a reason why it happened. Apparently, it's very current.''

Sherry Little, a spokeswoman for the Senate Sergeant at Arms office, which
operates the Senate site, said after the May 27 attack that technical
experts planned to meet with the FBI to put security measures in place.

An obscene message left briefly on the Senate's Web site May 27 said that
attack was carried out because of what it said was the FBI's harassment of
specific hacker groups, including the group that boasted of breaking into
the White House site earlier.

--
Graham-John Bullers
moderator of alt.2600.moderated