Possible OT: terms

12 vues
Accéder directement au premier message non lu

Wycked

non lue,
25 nov. 2002, 13:29:1025/11/2002
à
Not sure what this is called but here is what I want to do. If I have a
.exe and I want to open it up and see how it was put togeather, what
exactly is that called, Ive tried doing searchs on it but I think im using
the wrong terms because I cant find anything on the subject. I dont want to
crack the program I just want to look inside and see how its put togeather
and what makes it work. Whats this called?
And if anyone can help but needs more info I will be glad to provide it as
long as its someone in here who I know knows what the heck thier doing

Nightwalker

non lue,
25 nov. 2002, 14:11:5325/11/2002
à
Wycked wrote:
> Not sure what this is called but here is what I want to
do. If I have a
> .exe and I want to open it up and see how it was put
togeather, what
> exactly is that called, Ive tried doing searchs on it but
I think im using
> the wrong terms because I cant find anything on the
subject. I dont want to
> crack the program I just want to look inside and see how
its put togeather
> and what makes it work. Whats this called?

Disassembling, or Reverse-Engineering.


> And if anyone can help but needs more info I will be glad
to provide it as
> long as its someone in here who I know knows what the heck

thier doing.

Hmm.... that rules ME out, then. ;o)

To be honest, if it IS an *.exe file, you're probably not
going to have much luck. Unless the program is either;

a) Open Source (The Source Code (language the program is
written in) is instantly accessable and can be viewed at
will - unlikely, with an *.exe file).

b) Closed Source (Source code cannot be accessed without a
great deal of difficulty) but with the Source Code provided
in a seperate file.

If a), you probably wouldn't be asking this question in the
first place, so I'll discount that. If b), then you'll
probably find a copy of the Source at the same place you
found the original program.

If it IS a Closed Source program, and the company which made
it HASN'T provided a copy of the original code, then there's
probably not much you can do without obtaining some
*seriously* advanced higher-level programming knowledge;
I'll be honest, I'm not actually a programmer myself (not a
very GOOD one, anyway!), but I DO know that disassembling a
program back to it's original Source Code is, whilst not
*impossible*, certainly beyond the abilities of most people.

HTH - (but I guess it probably doesn't)


--
Nightwalker

"A great man is not afraid to be a criminal"
- Dostoyevsky


Phaedrus

non lue,
25 nov. 2002, 15:49:3325/11/2002
à
Nightwalker convulsively spewed the following:

bleh i thought there where several cookie-cutter decompilers available
that'd do the trick (if you get off on wandering through a maze of goto
statements that is)


--
Give a man a fish, and he'll have food for a day. Beat a man to death with
a fish, and he'll have food for the rest of his life.

kyra

non lue,
25 nov. 2002, 16:51:5925/11/2002
à

hexedit?
decompile?


Wycked

non lue,
26 nov. 2002, 09:13:2226/11/2002
à
Reverend MosnarŠ wrote:
> Upon the dawning of Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:29:10 -0600, the exquisite and
> well proportioned Wycked, being the very quinessence of all that is
> right and good with the world, spake thusly to the amazement of all
> that this was but a mortal coil:
> Google on "Fravia"
>
> It'll make your head explode. Be prepared.


Fantastic, That is exactly what Im looking for, thank you.

Wycked

non lue,
26 nov. 2002, 09:40:2826/11/2002
à
Nightwalker wrote:
> Wycked wrote:
>> Not sure what this is called but here is what I want to do. If I
>> have a .exe and I want to open it up and see how it was put
>> togeather, what exactly is that called, Ive tried doing searchs on
>> it but I think im using the wrong terms because I cant find anything
>> on the subject. I dont want to crack the program I just want to
>> look inside and see how its put togeather and what makes it work.
>> Whats this called?
>
> Disassembling, or Reverse-Engineering.
>
>
>> And if anyone can help but needs more info I will be glad to provide
>> it as long as its someone in here who I know knows what the heck
>> thier doing.
>
> Hmm.... that rules ME out, then. ;o)

Actually you, Ryan, The Reverend, and Sandman are a few of the ones I do
have complete faith in when it comes to your advice or opinions. And a few
others Im still deciding on.

>
> To be honest, if it IS an *.exe file, you're probably not
> going to have much luck. Unless the program is either;
>
> a) Open Source (The Source Code (language the program is
> written in) is instantly accessable and can be viewed at
> will - unlikely, with an *.exe file).
>
> b) Closed Source (Source code cannot be accessed without a
> great deal of difficulty) but with the Source Code provided
> in a seperate file.
>
> If a), you probably wouldn't be asking this question in the
> first place, so I'll discount that. If b), then you'll
> probably find a copy of the Source at the same place you
> found the original program.
>
> If it IS a Closed Source program, and the company which made
> it HASN'T provided a copy of the original code, then there's
> probably not much you can do without obtaining some
> *seriously* advanced higher-level programming knowledge;
> I'll be honest, I'm not actually a programmer myself (not a
> very GOOD one, anyway!), but I DO know that disassembling a
> program back to it's original Source Code is, whilst not
> *impossible*, certainly beyond the abilities of most people.
>
> HTH - (but I guess it probably doesn't)

The program was emailed to me, and from best I can tell was made by someone
either claiming to be a hacker or a cracker. It was sent from a anon
emailer.

Nightwalker

non lue,
26 nov. 2002, 16:43:3526/11/2002
à
Wycked wrote:

> Nightwalker wrote:
>
>>
>> Hmm.... that rules ME out, then. ;o)
>
> Actually you, Ryan, The Reverend, and Sandman are a few of
the ones I do
> have complete faith in when it comes to your advice or
opinions. And a few
> others Im still deciding on.

Me??? Are you UTTERLY mad??? ;p)

No, seriously.... I'm touched. I thank you for your vote of
confidence.

Check your Bellsouth inbox; I've just sent you an e-mail, so
you can get my correct address. (Didn't wanna leave it here,
in full view of all the trolls). If you have any doubts
about the people who are advising you in future, feel free
to drop me a line and ask me about them; I've got a pretty
good handle on most of the regular posters here, and will be
happy to give you an opinion. And I believe you already
HAVE ryan's address; I'm sure he wouldn't mind dispensing
similar advice should you need it.

>> HTH - (but I guess it probably doesn't)
>
> The program was emailed to me, and from best I can tell
was made by someone
> either claiming to be a hacker or a cracker. It was sent
from a anon
> emailer.

Shit.

DO NOT run the file. Under ANY circumstances. Whatever it
is, it contains malicious code of some kind; I can tell you
that with almost complete certainty, even though I have no
idea what it is you've been sent. There's simply no reason
for anybody to send you an .exe file from an anonymous
remailer unless there's something in the code that they
don't want getting traced back to them.

Sorry if that sounds a wee bit patronising; I assume you've
already guessed that the program is suspect, hence you
posting here asking for advice on how to break into the
code. But I wouldn't wanna let this pass without giving you
a definite warning about the danger.

Oh, and on a side point; you needn't have put the "OT" part
in the subject header. As long as you're asking a vaguely
sensible question, no matter WHAT the subject, you're
On-Topic. Leastways, that's the way it *seems* to work in
this group.

(NOTE - for the benefit of the trolls and idiots reading
this - "How can I h4xor Hotmail Accounts" and "Can you send
me Serialz for WindowsXP" do NOT count as "vaguely sensible
questions". Sorry.)

SANDMAN

non lue,
26 nov. 2002, 16:57:4926/11/2002
à
Nightwalker wrote:
> Wycked wrote:

>> Nightwalker wrote:
>>
>>>
>>
>> Actually you, Ryan, The Reverend, and Sandman are a few of the ones
>> I do have complete faith in when it comes to your advice or
>> opinions. And a few others Im still deciding on.
>
> Me??? Are you UTTERLY mad??? ;p)
>

Thank You, for including me ! :)))

doctor electron

non lue,
26 nov. 2002, 20:57:2426/11/2002
à
After intense interrogation under a bright light in alt.2600.hackers,
Wycked finally admitted:

<snip>


>The program was emailed to me, and from best I can tell was made by someone
>either claiming to be a hacker or a cracker. It was sent from a anon
>emailer.

I might add this. Disassemble a program at least once in your life.
Prove you did it right by recompiling your code and running it. Use a
known small short program, preferably a .com, maybe some old short
program that you find. People learn foreign languages with thousands
of vocabulary words. Assembly language is easy by comparison and that
is the ultimate low level that all programs use in the end. With that
encouragement, just dive in and master it. [The thing you received in
the email may be a virus, so you would not want to run it. Anti-virus
people take apart and analyze how these things work every day; you can
do that, too.] These are my little thoughts, anyway.

Greetings, doctor electron
http://www.angelfire.com/space/netcensus/
freepress_at_myrealbox.com using @ instead of _at_.

BlueIce

non lue,
27 nov. 2002, 08:24:1527/11/2002
à
"Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:uFLE9.56884$%j3....@news.bellsouth.net...

Send it to me, if I have the time I'll have a look...
1. What is the size of the *.exe?
2. Have you checked the headers? You can learn a lot for a start from
there...
3. Open the *.exe in edit.com, and look for MS VIsual C++ runtime, Deplhi,
Visual Basic, Turbo Pascal, or something like that...

And is it .com or .exe? If it is .com:
#1 RULE: do not, I repeat DO NOT run it...
#2: Dissasmble anf figure out what it does...
#3: Just delete it and thank the anoying bustard who sent you that .com with
little something... Don't meaning the PC orinteded way 0;-)

--
Maric Petar
NANO...@EUnet.yu
http://solair.EUnet.yu/~NANOSoft


SiliconBunny

non lue,
1 déc. 2002, 21:27:5001/12/2002
à

"Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:vMtE9.9075$sT3....@news.bellsouth.net...

Its called cracking, try asking this question in a cracking news group.

-The Bunny


Wycked

non lue,
2 déc. 2002, 16:26:1102/12/2002
à

Hmm... I could be wrong but I thought the definition of cracking was

To remove the copy protection from a program, breaking into a system, or
to remove the time limit, or demo status from a program.

I dont want to do either of those, so I dont see where cracking comes into
it.

SiliconBunny

non lue,
5 déc. 2002, 16:48:0605/12/2002
à

"Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:vMtE9.9075$sT3....@news.bellsouth.net...

Its called cracking, hit a cracking group this = hacking, danke.

-The Bunny


Wycked

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 00:22:4307/12/2002
à


Sorry but your not on my knows what thier doing list, all I have seen from
you is you spouting your mouth off and not giving any real or helpful
information to anyone, danke.

SiliconBunny

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 01:59:0707/12/2002
à

"Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:OmfI9.29413$nd5....@news.bellsouth.net...

Suck it, and please try and have a nice day :D

-The Bunny


Wycked

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 07:27:5507/12/2002
à
SiliconBunny wrote:
> "Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:OmfI9.29413$nd5....@news.bellsouth.net...
>> SiliconBunny wrote:
>>> "Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> news:vMtE9.9075$sT3....@news.bellsouth.net...
[snip]

>>
>> Sorry but your not on my knows what thier doing list, all I have
>> seen from you is you spouting your mouth off and not giving any real
>> or helpful information to anyone, danke.
>>
>
> Suck it, and please try and have a nice day :D
>
> -The Bunny


Of course I will have a nice day, it would take more then a childish
comment from a egotistical, immature, narrow minded, trashy mouthed, little
pip squeek like you to even put a blip in it

Nightwalker

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 07:40:3807/12/2002
à
Wycked wrote:

> SiliconBunny wrote:
>
>> Suck it, and please try and have a nice day :D
>
> Of course I will have a nice day, it would take more then
a childish
> comment from a egotistical, immature, narrow minded,
trashy mouthed, little
> pip squeek like you to even put a blip in it.

ROFL. Nice one.

SiliconBunny

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 15:02:2107/12/2002
à

"Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:uLlI9.49444$bq3....@news.bellsouth.net...

Whoa try saying that three times really fast :D

-The Bunny


Phaedrus

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 15:27:1407/12/2002
à
Wycked profaned alt.2600.hackers with his impious mouthings thusly:

if(($_POST[trollfeed] != "on") && ($NG == "active"))
{echo("All is well.");}

(ie. stop feeding the troll plz.)
--

"Man, if I don't find me some quality porn soon my hump's gonna go limp!" -
quote found on UK search engine homepage.

Wycked

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 16:18:3007/12/2002
à
Phaedrus wrote:
> Wycked profaned alt.2600.hackers with his impious mouthings thusly:
>
>> SiliconBunny wrote:
>>> "Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> news:OmfI9.29413$nd5....@news.bellsouth.net...
>>>> SiliconBunny wrote:
>>>>> "Wycked" <Wycked_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>>> news:vMtE9.9075$sT3....@news.bellsouth.net...
>> [snip]
>>>>
>>>> Sorry but your not on my knows what thier doing list, all I have
>>>> seen from you is you spouting your mouth off and not giving any
>>>> real or helpful information to anyone, danke.
>>>>
>>>
>>> Suck it, and please try and have a nice day :D
>>>
>>> -The Bunny
>>
>>
>> Of course I will have a nice day, it would take more then a childish
>> comment from a egotistical, immature, narrow minded, trashy mouthed,
>> little pip squeek like you to even put a blip in it
>
> if(($_POST[trollfeed] != "on") && ($NG == "active"))
> {echo("All is well.");}
>
> (ie. stop feeding the troll plz.)

Darn I always seem to be getting my hands smacked... ok phaedrus i'll cut
it out and stop feeding the troll.

Phaedrus

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 18:24:5307/12/2002
à
Wycked profaned alt.2600.hackers with his impious mouthings thusly:

<snip>

thank you :D

JayDe

non lue,
7 déc. 2002, 18:35:4407/12/2002
à
that is a beautiful piece of code Phaedrus ; )
Mine must have a logical error though, coz I keep on getting the 'All is
well.' even when I hurl scraps 'em.


BlueIce

non lue,
8 déc. 2002, 03:53:1808/12/2002
à
Don't you just LOVE php in these situations... Much more simpler than
writing the same thing in C++...

Phaedrus

non lue,
8 déc. 2002, 14:22:2008/12/2002
à
BlueIce profaned alt.2600.hackers with his impious mouthings thusly:

was wondering how long it'd take someone to comment on my using PHP

Phaedrus

non lue,
8 déc. 2002, 14:23:4608/12/2002
à
JayDe profaned alt.2600.hackers with his impious mouthings thusly:

> that is a beautiful piece of code Phaedrus ; )
> Mine must have a logical error though, coz I keep on getting the 'All is
> well.' even when I hurl scraps 'em.

be that as it may I'm tired of having to spend twenty minutes a day
colapsing threads where someone's just posted four times feeding the troll.
Be a pal, don't waste my bandwidth :D

Répondre à tous
Répondre à l'auteur
Transférer
0 nouveau message