There is a mouse in my house.

BeH

Sep 12, 2022, 6:41:50 PM9/12/22
At least i think there is, given the rustling and scratching sounds from
the ceiling, but this theoretical mouse has shown no interest in the
delicious arrangement of rolled oats tastefully arranged on the mousetrap.

BeH

BeH

Sep 14, 2022, 4:49:06 PM9/14/22
On 13.09.2022 22.29, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tfocjd$p5a$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> They like sweet. Peanut butter works well.

I normally use a raisin with great success. Anyway it may not be a mouse
at all.

BeH

William Stickers

Sep 14, 2022, 6:10:41 PM9/14/22
On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 22:49:05 +0200 BeH <old...@wits.end>
wrote:
<delurks>

The best bait I've used in meece traps wasn't peanut
butter or chocolate. It was bird seed. And to secure it
in place I put a blob of hot melt glue and dipped it in
the bird seed. The meece would have to have a proper good
tug at the bait. Handling the trap wearing rubber gloves
to not leave your scent helps too.

<relurks>

Sn!pe

Sep 14, 2022, 8:03:59 PM9/14/22
Greetings, Mr Stickers, it's good to meet you. You seem oddly
familiar; have our paths crossed before, maybe elsewhere under
different names?

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

William Stickers

Sep 15, 2022, 2:57:35 PM9/15/22
Good to meet you again, too. And your Sn!pey senses have
not let you down. New suit of armour, the last one is
rather dented and rusty.

BeH

Sep 15, 2022, 6:07:42 PM9/15/22
There is now one less mouse in my house. The seasonal average is about
four, so stay tuned for more exciting news as it happens.

BeH

Sn!pe

Sep 15, 2022, 6:09:18 PM9/15/22
William Stickers <george....@innocent.com> wrote:
[...]
> > Greetings, Mr Stickers, it's good to meet you. You seem oddly
> > familiar; have our paths crossed before, maybe elsewhere under
> > different names?
>
> Good to meet you again, too. And your Sn!pey senses
> have not let you down. New suit of armour, the last one
> is rather dented and rusty.

Armour is nearly as protective as asbestos long johns but, on Usenet,
nothing beats a thick skin. IIRC George Davis was quite a tasty geezer;

It was a shame about Headingley, though.

BeH

Sep 15, 2022, 6:13:39 PM9/15/22
I've got some spiffy traps - made from advanced space-age polymer or
somesuch - with a deep bowl where the bait can be squeezed tightly to
create the same effect.

BeH

BeH

Sep 15, 2022, 6:17:56 PM9/15/22
On 15.09.2022 14.19, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tfteo1$r31$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> You should get a cat.
> The cat that I had since 2004 passed away in June.
> Now I has a sad :(

Oh no! Maybe you should get another cat.

There are about five neighbourhood cats taking turns patrolling my
garden. I don't think one more cat will make much of a difference, really.

BeH

William Stickers

Sep 15, 2022, 6:59:28 PM9/15/22
On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:14:40 +0100 Sn!pe <snipeco.2
@gmail.com> wrote:

> William Stickers <george....@innocent.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > > Greetings, Mr Stickers, it's good to meet you. You seem oddly
> > > familiar; have our paths crossed before, maybe elsewhere under
> > > different names?
> >
> > Good to meet you again, too. And your Sn!pey senses
> > have not let you down. New suit of armour, the last one
> > is rather dented and rusty.
>
> Armour is nearly as protective as asbestos long johns but, on Usenet,
> nothing beats a thick skin.

Which is great if you only wanna converse wiv hippos and
rhinos.

> IIRC George Davis was quite a tasty geezer;

Stitched up like a kipper and innocent as the driven
snow. It said so on all the bridges.

Sn!pe

Sep 15, 2022, 7:50:50 PM9/15/22
Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door.

Sn!pe

Sep 15, 2022, 8:06:41 PM9/15/22
I hate those meeces to pieces. -- Mr Jinks

Sn!pe

Sep 15, 2022, 8:06:42 PM9/15/22
William Stickers <george....@innocent.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2022 23:14:40 +0100 Sn!pe <snipeco.2
> @gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > William Stickers <george....@innocent.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Good to meet you again, too. And your Sn!pey senses
> > > have not let you down. New suit of armour, the last one
> > > is rather dented and rusty.
> >
> > Armour is nearly as protective as asbestos long johns but,
> > on Usenet,nothing beats a thick skin.
>
> Which is great if you only wanna converse wiv hippos and
> rhinos.

JFTR: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a pachyderm.

> > IIRC George Davis was quite a tasty geezer.
>
> Stitched up like a kipper and innocent as the driven
> snow. It said so on all the bridges.

That's what comes of nokking about with dodgy old cynics.

BeH

Sep 16, 2022, 6:21:37 PM9/16/22
On 16.09.2022 19.20, Merlyne wrote:
> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote in
> I have the old-fashioned kind --the spring-loaded trap.
> Mice were getting into the garbage under my kitchen sink.
> I put a trap in there and the next morning I opened the door and there
> was a mouse with it's hand stuck in the trap. I put the mouse outside in
> the forest and went back in the house and cried.

This is why a mousetrap should have a spring strong enough to kill the
bugger right away...

I had a rat in the ceiling a couple of years back. The rat dude set up a
trap (spring loaded all metal thingie with a bit of wire to anchor it).
Next day there was blood splatter everywhere up there and the rat dude
spent half an hour looking for the corpse.

BeH

BeH

Sep 16, 2022, 6:25:00 PM9/16/22
On 16.09.2022 19.20, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg08aj$rm4$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> An in-the-house cat works better than an outdoor one.
>
> I already had another cat. It's not a snuggly cat :(

Cats take time...

> It's been a really shitty year so far.

I'm sorry.

BeH

BeH

Sep 16, 2022, 6:26:04 PM9/16/22
On 16.09.2022 02.12, Sn!pe wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote:
>
>> On 13.09.2022 00.41, BeH wrote:
>>> At least i think there is, given the rustling and scratching sounds from
>>> the ceiling, but this theoretical mouse has shown no interest in the
>>> delicious arrangement of rolled oats tastefully arranged on the mousetrap.
>>>

>> There is now one less mouse in my house. The seasonal average is about
>> four, so stay tuned for more exciting news as it happens.
>>
>> BeH
>
> I hate those meeces to pieces. -- Mr Jinks

How about meeces in pieces...?

BeH

Sn!pe

Sep 16, 2022, 9:36:36 PM9/16/22
Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote in news:1pycoio.dntwfw1w19u0mN%snipeco.2
> @gmail.com:
>
> > William Stickers <george....@innocent.com> wrote:

> >> Which is great if you only wanna converse wiv hippos and
> >> rhinos.
> >
> > JFTR: I am not now, nor have I ever been, a pachyderm.
> >

> That's irrelephant information!

But at least I'm not rhinocritical about it.

BeH

Sep 17, 2022, 3:36:27 PM9/17/22
Great, now I'm hungry hungry...

BeH
- sorry, I'm drawing a blank here

BeH

Sep 18, 2022, 5:19:10 PM9/18/22
On 18.09.2022 18.26, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg57jo$1d1l$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Hippo?
>
> I have this thing going for ginger cookies.
> The dough is resting in the fridge.

I quite like ginger cookies. Chiefly because they aren't just
sugar-and-butter taste like most cookies.

> I also mixed up a big patch of taco seasoning. Taco Tuesday will be upon
> us before we know.

Tacos are the hard shell or what?
All these stuff something semi-liquid into something else and try not
the spill it all over the place while using your hands as utensils
aren't really my thing. Mostly because I'll invariably fail. I'll take
mine on a plate with the bread-type thing on the side, please. And also
a spoon.

> Next up: tourtière.

FIRETRUCK! - no wait that's a different tour*

BeH

BeH

Sep 18, 2022, 5:25:21 PM9/18/22
On 18.09.2022 16.26, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg2t3r$eve$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> She's lived here for 10 years.
> How much longer will this take?

I'm no cat expert but you could try not feeding it for a couple of days...

BeH

Sn!pe

Sep 18, 2022, 8:04:52 PM9/18/22
Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote
> > Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote
[...]
> >> That's irrelephant information!
> >
> > But at least I'm not rhinocritical about it.
>
> I hope you're not lion to me.

I wouldn't cheetah you.

Sn!pe

Sep 19, 2022, 4:03:46 PM9/19/22
Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote
[...]
> >> I hope you're not lion to me.
> >
> > I wouldn't cheetah you.
>
> You otter get a kudu!

I know the difference between a stoat and a weasel.

BeH

Sep 19, 2022, 4:55:39 PM9/19/22
On 19.09.2022 21.22, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg820b$1e7m$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
>
> [bad animal puns]
>

>>> I have this thing going for ginger cookies.
>>> The dough is resting in the fridge.
>>
>> I quite like ginger cookies. Chiefly because they aren't just
>> sugar-and-butter taste like most cookies.
>
> I like spicy stuff.
>

>>> I also mixed up a big patch of taco seasoning. Taco Tuesday will be
>>> upon us before we know.
>>
>> Tacos are the hard shell or what?
>> All these stuff something semi-liquid into something else and try not
>> the spill it all over the place while using your hands as utensils
>> aren't really my thing. Mostly because I'll invariably fail. I'll take
>> mine on a plate with the bread-type thing on the side, please. And
>> also a spoon.
>
> I can accommodate that. I buy the soft shells - half flour, half corn.
> I find the 100% corn ones split easily.
>
> Whether it leaks or not depends on what you put on it.
> Salsa or pico de gallo drip a lot.
> Most of the time I make tempeh tacos with sautéed onions and peppers,
> avocado and lettuce.

In that case I'll have two, please...

>>> Next up: tourtière.
>>
>> FIRETRUCK! - no wait that's a different tour*
>>
> Huh?

Tourette.

BeH

BeH

Sep 19, 2022, 4:59:22 PM9/19/22
On 19.09.2022 21.22, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg82c0$1ji9$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> The cat is already a hungry, hungry hippo.
> {see how I did that?}
{Yes}

> In the morning, if she gets up before I do, I get serenaded then
> stomped.

I'm sure she does it with love...

BeH

BeH

Sep 21, 2022, 6:47:55 PM9/21/22
On 21.09.2022 23.49, Merlyne wrote:

>>> The cat is already a hungry, hungry hippo.
>>> {see how I did that?}
>> {Yes}
>>
>>> In the morning, if she gets up before I do, I get serenaded then
>>> stomped.
>> I'm sure she does it with love...
>>
> I don't speak cat.
> She could be yelling 'Yo bitch! Where's my food'.

Or maybe she's just not very good at petting...

BeH

BeH

Sep 23, 2022, 6:35:21 PM9/23/22
On 22.09.2022 21.49, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgg4aq$1kdp$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> You won't happen to have an instructional video, would you?

Not me personally, but I'm sure you'll be able to find something in
those intertubes...

BeH

BeH

Oct 10, 2022, 6:33:00 AM10/10/22
We can now exclusively report that there is one more less mouse in my
house, bringing the total number of less mice to two. More as this story
develops...

BeH

BeH

Oct 10, 2022, 11:03:22 AM10/10/22
On 10.10.2022 15.41, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti0scr$mb6$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> 2 that you know of...

Yes of course. We are a serious news outfit, we don't deal in rumours.
We call it analysis...

BeH

BeH

Oct 11, 2022, 5:42:44 PM10/11/22
On 11.10.2022 22.38, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti1c7o$14pm$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Just like Fox news and CNN.
> I may stay up to see the film at 11.

You really should. Lets just hope it doesn't get pre-empted by some even
more breaking news such as a celebrity saying something stupid or a
sink-hole in Florida.

BeH

BeH

Oct 12, 2022, 5:48:25 PM10/12/22
On 12.10.2022 13.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti4o0g$1mu9$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> OOOOOOH! A sink hole!

Dammit! There goes my ratings... stupid floridians.

BeH

BeH

Oct 12, 2022, 5:55:25 PM10/12/22
This just in: there are now twice as many less mice in my house, as two
more bodies have been found. Possibly even three based on the noises
heard from the ceiling earlier, but I'm not going up there again today.

Tally now stands at 4 (possibly 5) dead mice. One could make a childrens
song out of this...

BeH

BeH

Oct 13, 2022, 5:23:14 PM10/13/22
On 13.10.2022 14.03, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti7cn5$12ri$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> It's hard to compete with a sinkhole. We've had a couple in town over
> the last few years. Who knew that if you excavate all the earth from
> under a roadway, that the road will collapse?

Well, certainly not city planners. They aren't even in the same
department as the hole-digging planners.

BeH

BeH

Oct 13, 2022, 5:26:17 PM10/13/22
On 13.10.2022 14.03, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti7d4c$18vp$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Oh yeah?
> The only one that comes to mind is Three Blind Mice.

There's the one from that Agatha Christie novel that I can't remember
right now. Counting down from 10 I think. (Once for each murder - in the
novel, not the song.)

BeH

Oct 13, 2022, 6:07:38 PM10/13/22
We can now exclusively confirm that two more mice has been found dead -
bringing the total to six.
According to a person with insight in the matter, who spoke anonymously
because they had no business speaking to reporters in the first place,
authorities now suspect that a serial mouse-killer is responsible.
Time to panic.

BeH

BeH

Oct 14, 2022, 8:47:58 AM10/14/22
On 14.10.2022 13.46, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti9vpo$1c45$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I don't think I've ever actually read any of her books. I've seen all
> the Poirot and Miss Marple shows.

It's "And Then There Were None" - a non Poirot/non Miss Marple novel.
The theme is the poem "Ten Little Soldiers". Not a nursery rhyme it
would seem although it does make a reasonable emulation of the cruelty
and callousness typical of english language poetry for children. Also
racism in the original form(s).

[ https://poemanalysis.com/nursery-rhyme/ten-little-soldiers/ ]

BeH

BeH

Oct 14, 2022, 8:50:31 AM10/14/22
On 14.10.2022 13.46, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tia279$92h$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> The butler did it.

I hardly think so - probably a bit of a loner, a quiet man who doesn't
interact much with his neighbors... Children most likely avoids his
house at halloween.

BeH

BeH

Oct 15, 2022, 5:51:56 PM10/15/22
On 15.10.2022 15.29, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tiblul$brl$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> You said there were 5 houses around. How many children can there be?

Somewhere between three and a lot, depending on how one defines child.
They grow up so fast, don't they...

BeH

BeH

Oct 16, 2022, 3:19:13 PM10/16/22
On 16.10.2022 18.16, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tifa1r$1kjf$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> IMO, teenagers should be at a Halloween dance or party at someone's
> house and not trick-or-treating door-to-door. But what do I know?

I'm sure you know a lot of things *pats head*

Actually nobody is supposed to trick-or-treat at halloween - that's for
fastelavn (or lent as some people call it). After hitting the cat out of
the barrel. And even then they don't come to my door. One of my
neighbours used to come by with a fastelavnsbolle (basically a
creamfilled bun with chocolate frosting), but not the last couple of
years since their daughter died.

BeH

BeH

Oct 17, 2022, 3:05:58 PM10/17/22
On 17.10.2022 12.38, Merlyne wrote:
[Mice]

>>> IMO, teenagers should be at a Halloween dance or party at someone's
>>> house and not trick-or-treating door-to-door. But what do I know?
>>
>> I'm sure you know a lot of things *pats head*
>
> Mine or yours?

Yes.

>> Actually nobody is supposed to trick-or-treat at halloween - that's
>> for fastelavn (or lent as some people call it). After hitting the cat
>> out of the barrel. And even then they don't come to my door. One of my
>> neighbours used to come by with a fastelavnsbolle (basically a
>> creamfilled bun with chocolate frosting), but not the last couple of
>> years since their daughter died.
>>

> That's really sad :(
> I would be mental if my child died before me.

She was born with rather serious brain deficiency and a heart condition,
as well as some other ailments I believe. I understand she was predicted
to not reach her seventh birthday - and she (and they) beat that by a
factor 3+, so they had her some 15 'bonus' years.
Also she really liked cake...

BeH

BeH

Oct 18, 2022, 12:57:39 PM10/18/22
On 18.10.2022 16.27, Merlyne wrote:

[gone]
>> Also she really liked cake...
>>
> Who doesn't?

People that are wrong, that's who.

BeH

BeH

Oct 19, 2022, 5:32:17 PM10/19/22
On 19.10.2022 12.55, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:timlu2$qgk$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> So by your logic, I don't like cake.
> You say I'm wrong often.

There is no bi in the implication. It doesn't follow that people that
are wrong don't like cake. Also when have I ever said that you are wrong?

BeH

BeH

Oct 20, 2022, 4:43:48 PM10/20/22
On 20.10.2022 14.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tipqd0$184u$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Here is one example:
> https://groups.google.com/g/alt.acme.exploding.newsgroup/c/FJs7JW_BB3Q/m/JN
> QbpdKNAgAJ

I didn't say you are wrong in that thread...

BeH