The price of oil

BeH

Sep 17, 2022, 3:51:57 PM9/17/22
I selfishly wish "they" would stop messing about with the economy and
make the oil-prices go back down to a reasonable level.

Currently here lowest price is DKK13,68 (or EUR1,84 (or GBP1,61 (or
CAD2,44 (or USD1,84)))) per litre, and I'm not paying that.

So I burn a good amount of wood at the moment.

BeH

Sn!pe

Sep 17, 2022, 8:35:41 PM9/17/22
Er du dansker? Min første kone var dansk.

--
^Ï^ My pet rock Gordon just is.

~ Slava Ukraini ~

BeH

Sep 18, 2022, 5:27:14 PM9/18/22
On 18.09.2022 02.41, Sn!pe wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote:
>
>> I selfishly wish "they" would stop messing about with the economy and
>> make the oil-prices go back down to a reasonable level.
>>
>> Currently here lowest price is DKK13,68 (or EUR1,84 (or GBP1,61 (or
>> CAD2,44 (or USD1,84)))) per litre, and I'm not paying that.
>>
>> So I burn a good amount of wood at the moment.
>>
>> BeH
>>

> Er du dansker?

Ja. Meget.

Min første kone var dansk.

I know - you said some time ago (ca. 2003-2004)...

BeH

BeH

Sep 18, 2022, 5:40:59 PM9/18/22
On 18.09.2022 16.26, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg58gq$1ouf$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I assume you mean at the pump.

Oh no. I don't have a car (or other combustion engine device). I have my
trusty bikes (and the rare delivery company) for all my transport needs.

It heating oil. For not being cold and avoiding cold showers and such.

> It's around $1.40/L here and $4.00/gal in Upper NY state =$1.00/L.
>
> I'll assume that your cars don't run on burning wood because that wood be
> weird, although not as weird as the Mario thing...

Not that weird. Back in the day (ww2) that's how it was done when the
petrol rations ran out:
https://filweb.azurewebsites.net/filer/visning/ccf20a952b8b45b8ba156c047bc6ba1b

> Observation: you write numbers the same way the Fr*nch do

Correctly, you mean...?

BeH

Sn!pe

Sep 18, 2022, 7:44:34 PM9/18/22
BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote:

[...]

> > Er du dansker?
>
> Ja. Meget.
>
> > Min første kone var dansk.
>
> I know - you said some time ago (ca. 2003-2004)...

Good lard, was it really that long ago?
Don't time fly when you're having fun.

BeH

Sep 19, 2022, 4:31:36 PM9/19/22
On 19.09.2022 01.50, Sn!pe wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>> Er du dansker?
>>
>> Ja. Meget.
>>
>>> Min første kone var dansk.
>>
>> I know - you said some time ago (ca. 2003-2004)...
>
> Good lard, was it really that long ago?

well, it was my best guess - it could have been as late as 2005.

> Don't time fly when you're having fun.

Speaking of flying: when I took the garbage out today, there was what I
believe to be a merlin (Falco columbarius) taking a bath in the puddle
at the end of my driveway. It was not the least disturbed by me being
about two metres away. Country-side, eh?

BeH

BeH

Sep 19, 2022, 4:49:15 PM9/19/22
On 19.09.2022 21.22, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg839a$1uk2$1...@gioia.aioe.org:

[...]
>> It heating oil. For not being cold and avoiding cold showers and such.
>
> I think most houses here are heated with natural gas. Except for old
> houses that never got upgraded and houses built in the late 1970s which
> have baseboard heating because electricity was cheaper then.

A lot of houses and district heating plants around here was converted to
or build for natural gas when they started pulling it out of the danish
part of the north sea in the late 1970s I think. Supposedly it was
"cleaner" than oil - and of course it wasn't import.

You may have heard that NG is not only rather more expensive these days
and also the european supply isn't as secure as had been expected.

Anyway solar- or wind-powered heat pumps is the future (for now).

[...]
>>> Observation: you write numbers the same way the Fr*nch do
>>
>> Correctly, you mean...?
>>

> Is it correct to mess up csv files with backwards decimal notations?

"Never trust the format of a cvs file", as I always used to say.

> It's at times like this, I miss Phil.

So you can be wrong together...?

BeH

BeH

Sep 19, 2022, 5:13:04 PM9/19/22
On 19.09.2022 22.49, BeH wrote:
> On 19.09.2022 21.22, Merlyne wrote:
>> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg839a$1uk2$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
>
> [...]
>>> It heating oil. For not being cold and avoiding cold showers and such.
>>
>> I think most houses here are heated with natural gas. Except for old
>> houses that never got upgraded and houses built in the late 1970s which
>> have baseboard heating because electricity was cheaper then.
>
> A lot of houses and district heating plants around here was converted to
> or build for natural gas when they started pulling it out of the danish
> part of the north sea in the late 1970s I think. Supposedly it was
> "cleaner" than oil - and of course it wasn't import.
>
> You may have heard that NG is not only rather more expensive these days
> and also the european supply isn't as secure as had been expected.

So what I meant to say was that the gubberment sent out a sum of money
to anyone making less than {insert amount}, who were adversely affected
by the price spike on NG either directly or through cost of electricity
produced using NG. And nothing for us oilies...

BeH

BeH

Sep 21, 2022, 6:47:56 PM9/21/22
On 21.09.2022 23.49, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgajj7$t2a$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> It only seems fair since there are a lot of rabbits around my yard lately.

Oh I don't mind; there are plenty of small birds about. And the
occasional deer defecating on my grass. No exotic mooses, though...

BeH

BeH

Sep 21, 2022, 6:47:56 PM9/21/22
On 21.09.2022 23.49, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgakka$1a0g$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
>
>> On 19.09.2022 21.22, Merlyne wrote:
>>> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tg839a$1uk2$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think most houses here are heated with natural gas. Except for old
>>> houses that never got upgraded and houses built in the late 1970s
>>> which have baseboard heating because electricity was cheaper then.
>>
>> A lot of houses and district heating plants around here was converted
>> to or build for natural gas when they started pulling it out of the
>> danish part of the north sea in the late 1970s I think. Supposedly it
>> was "cleaner" than oil - and of course it wasn't import.
>>
>> You may have heard that NG is not only rather more expensive these
>> days and also the european supply isn't as secure as had been
>> expected.
>>
>> Anyway solar- or wind-powered heat pumps is the future (for now).
>
> Solar is impractical. There is not enough light during the winter months
> plus the snow/freezing rain needs to be cleared.

There's lots of solar here - though photovoltaic is mostly peoples own
installations. But we have quite a bit of thermal in connection with
district heating plants...

> They did a pilot project for wind farms. There were issues with the
> effects of noise pollution on people and wildlife that live near the
> turbines plus they only work when it's windy. It's not super windy here.

They have this new thing called 'cables'. Really useful for getting the
energy from wind-turbines out at sea to the washing mashine.

>> [...]
>>>>

>>> Is it correct to mess up csv files with backwards decimal notations?
>>
>> "Never trust the format of a cvs file", as I always used to say.
>>
>>> It's at times like this, I miss Phil.
>>
>> So you can be wrong together...?
>>
> You're hilarious!

I know.

> But, no.
>
> Phil and I had a fight in 2015(?).
> I think he would be conflicted over wanting to tell you that you are
> wrong as usual vs. not wanting to back me up on this.

Oh. Also you were (still) in contact with Phil i 2015?

> https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/Risingclouds/Comedic/GaryLarsonDu
> ckCardI.jpg

Always beware the duck.

Sn!pe

Sep 23, 2022, 1:49:59 PM9/23/22
Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
<https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/Risingclouds/Comedic/GaryLarsonDuckCardI.jpg>

> > Always beware the duck.
>
> Uh-huh..

Absolutely; they're a dodgy bunch, dem darn duckies.

<https://youtu.be/6k01DIVDJlY>

BeH

Sep 23, 2022, 6:35:23 PM9/23/22
On 22.09.2022 21.49, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgg4ar$1kdp$4...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Yeah, yeah. I've lived in the country like forever. No mooses here
> either.
> I grew in a little village about 100 km north of here. The only time I
> ever saw a moose was when my neighbour shot one in his yard.

Must have been one that never learnt how to hide behind trees properly...

BeH

BeH

Sep 23, 2022, 6:35:25 PM9/23/22
On 22.09.2022 21.49, Merlyne wrote:

[...]
>> Oh. Also you were (still) in contact with Phil i 2015?
> We touched base once a year.
> It's nice to know that so-and-so is still alive.

Is this these "social skills" I read about somewhere?

> I also heard from the Captain regularly until around then.
> He finally went to college in his 30s, graduated and then disappeared
> into the ether.

*sigh* they grow up so fast...

>> https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/Risingclouds/Comedic/GaryLarson
>>> Du ckCardI.jpg
>> Always beware the duck.
>>
> Uh-huh..

Exactly.

BeH

BeH

Sep 23, 2022, 6:35:25 PM9/23/22
On 23.09.2022 19.55, Sn!pe wrote:
> Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> <https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/Risingclouds/Comedic/GaryLarsonDuckCardI.jpg>
>>>
>>> Always beware the duck.
>>
>> Uh-huh..
>
> Absolutely; they're a dodgy bunch, dem darn duckies.
>
> <https://youtu.be/6k01DIVDJlY>

Horrible manners, too...

BeH

Sn!pe

Sep 23, 2022, 8:44:52 PM9/23/22
Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote in
>
> > Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > <https://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j92/Risingclouds/Comedic/GaryLarson
> > DuckCardI.jpg>

> >> Uh-huh..
> >
> > Absolutely; they're a dodgy bunch, dem darn duckies.
> >
> > <https://youtu.be/6k01DIVDJlY>
> >

> I was sitting here hoping that someone would make
> a documentary on the corkscrew penis.

It's evolution (as propounded by Darwin) at its very finest.

Sn!pe

Sep 23, 2022, 8:44:53 PM9/23/22
Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> > Is this these "social skills" I read about somewhere?
>
> If you don't keep in touch with your online peeps then you
> might have to interact with people out in the big blue room.
> I think you need social skills for that.

I think I'm having a panic attack attack. The Big Yellow Eye
in the Sky! It hurts us, Precious! ≈:o(

BeH

Sep 24, 2022, 4:18:34 PM9/24/22
On 24.09.2022 02.50, Sn!pe wrote:
> Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Is this these "social skills" I read about somewhere?
>>
>> If you don't keep in touch with your online peeps then you
>> might have to interact with people out in the big blue room.
>> I think you need social skills for that.
>
> I think I'm having a panic attack attack. The Big Yellow Eye
> in the Sky! It hurts us, Precious! ≈:o(

Only a little bit. And it reduces electricity consumption while it's
there...

BeH

BeH

Sep 24, 2022, 4:18:34 PM9/24/22
On 24.09.2022 02.50, Sn!pe wrote:
...and could conceivably be the inspiration for the danish childrens tv
hero: Dillermand.

BeH

BeH

Sep 24, 2022, 4:18:34 PM9/24/22
On 24.09.2022 00.55, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tglcba$s3p$5...@gioia.aioe.org:
>
>> On 22.09.2022 21.49, Merlyne wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>> We touched base once a year.
>>> It's nice to know that so-and-so is still alive.
>>
>> Is this these "social skills" I read about somewhere?
>
> If you don't keep in touch with your online peeps then you might have to
> interact with people out in the big blue room.
> I think you need social skills for that.

I'm good, then. I always wave at my neighbours when I walk or bike by,
and they happen to see me.

BeH

BeH

Sep 25, 2022, 6:47:21 PM9/25/22
On 25.09.2022 18.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgnoml$ukc$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> LOL! I will check that out.

By all means, do. He was world famous for a few days when it first
stared airing...

BeH

BeH

Sep 25, 2022, 6:47:23 PM9/25/22
On 25.09.2022 18.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgnomp$ukc$3...@gioia.aioe.org:
> It does?

Well, if you remember to turn off the lights it does...

BeH

BeH

Sep 25, 2022, 6:47:23 PM9/25/22
On 25.09.2022 18.34, Merlyne wrote:
> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote in news:1pyrjmz.higlxf6sybfcN%snipeco.2
> @gmail.com:
>
>> Merlyne <kam...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> If you don't keep in touch with your online peeps then you
>>> might have to interact with people out in the big blue room.
>>> I think you need social skills for that.
>>
>> I think I'm having a panic attack attack. The Big Yellow Eye
>> in the Sky! It hurts us, Precious! ≈:o(
>>

> *cancels 'Ode to the life-giving sun' celebration*

heck! *puts bright yellow pants away*

BeH

BeH

Sep 25, 2022, 6:47:24 PM9/25/22
On 25.09.2022 18.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgnomp$ukc$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Maybe "social" is more of a comportment than a skill.
> At any rate, relationships are like house plants, if you don't nurture them
> then they die.

I have no houseplants.

> Soemtimes you have go beyond yourself.

That sounds intensely uncomfortable...

BeH

BeH

Sep 28, 2022, 1:51:02 PM9/28/22
On 28.09.2022 12.53, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgqlpq$1pn7$3...@gioia.aioe.org:
>
>> On 25.09.2022 18.34, Merlyne wrote:
>>> snip...@gmail.com (Sn!pe) wrote in
>>> news:1pyrjmz.higlxf6sybfcN%snipeco.2 @gmail.com:

>>> *cancels 'Ode to the life-giving sun' celebration*
>>
>> heck! *puts bright yellow pants away*
>>
>> BeH
>>

> I didn't know we were supposed to dress up for this.

Just thought I'd do a bit extra for the festive occasion.

> I think gold lamé is the way to go.

Not a lot of gold here; lame or not...

BeH

BeH

Sep 28, 2022, 1:51:02 PM9/28/22
On 28.09.2022 12.53, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgqlpo$1pn7$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I typically don't turn the lights on when the sun is blaring through the
> windows. However, I do consume electricity on sunny days when it is hot
> outside and I have the AC on.

I see. I really pity all you foreign types who don't have windows that
opens. But doesn't AC pretty much run at all hours - regardless of
whether the big outside lamp is on?

BeH

BeH

Sep 28, 2022, 1:51:02 PM9/28/22
On 28.09.2022 12.53, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgqlph$1pn7$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I must have slept through that news.

You don't religiously watch everything John Oliver produces, then...
(there are also some "news-reporting" about Dillermand on youtoeb)

BeH

BeH

Sep 28, 2022, 1:51:03 PM9/28/22
On 28.09.2022 12.53, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tgqlpr$1pn7$4...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I didn't say you did. *sigh* You'll have to use your imagination.

But that's the thing, innit. If one nurtures a relationship with a
people they go an die anyway... And then one will be sad.

>>> Soemtimes you have go beyond yourself.
>>
>> That sounds intensely uncomfortable...
>>
>> BeH
>>

> Some relationships are worth it.

Probably, but I wouldn't want to appear clingy.

BeH

BeH

Sep 29, 2022, 4:12:57 PM9/29/22
On 29.09.2022 12.44, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th21i5$ue$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Opening the window seems pointless when it's 40C and humid. The AC
> allows me to sleep comfortably at night (I am a hot sleeper). It is set
> to run at all hours but usually comes on around dinner time. I guess
> that's the time when the house is hot enough to trigger it. By not
> opening the windows when it's super hot outside, I am able to keep the
> house cool enough for most of the day so that the AC doesn't come on.

So you live in a place where there is no wind and 40'C and humid...?

I thought you were in Canada. With the polar bear and the inuits and all
that.

BeH

BeH

Sep 29, 2022, 4:12:57 PM9/29/22
On 29.09.2022 12.44, Merlyne wrote:

[...]
>>> Some relationships are worth it.
>>
>> Probably, but I wouldn't want to appear clingy.
>>

> So, you're overly concerned with what other people think of you.

Absolutely. That's why I prefer to be remote an mysterious. That way
what they think is most likely wrong. Which in some ways possibly is an
improvement over knowing about me...

BeH

BeH

Sep 29, 2022, 4:12:57 PM9/29/22
On 29.09.2022 12.44, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th21hs$ue$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I watch Bill Maher instead.

I'm ambivilent about Maher. On the one hand I liked Religiosity (was
that the name?) a lot; on the other he's also sarcastic and mean with
subjects I care about...

BeH

BeH

Sep 30, 2022, 5:35:41 PM9/30/22
On 30.09.2022 18.31, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th4u87$1c3j$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Religulous?

That's the one. I could have looked it up, but...

> He is American after all...
> I like his show but not his stand-up specials.
> He spends way too much time going on about Trump (still) but he usually
> has interesting guests on his panel.
> Yeah, he always tees off on Canada. Busternaut used to do the same.

Busternaut? But he's like half canadian himself...

> I'll try not to focus on that when I don't pay for doctors or
> prescriptions or when it costs me $10 to get my teeth cleaned.

He-he. Silly 'merkins.
But also: Dammit, I pay close to $100[1] for a teeth cleaning. And I'm
supposed to have it done 4times/year because reasons.
The previous government cut almost all subsidy for dental care, and the
present one don't seem in a hurry to reverse that.

BeH
1: Not actual dollars but the equivalent monetary value in the local
currency.

BeH

Sep 30, 2022, 6:04:11 PM9/30/22
On 30.09.2022 18.31, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th4u88$1c3j$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Yeah. We get 6 weeks of super hot weather in July and August and
> unfortunately 6 weeks of super cold weather in January and February.

You have some weird weather in that continent of yours, just saying.

>> I thought you were in Canada. With the polar bear and the inuits and
>> all that.
>>

> Maybe in Nunavut.
> *sigh* You were the person here whom I thought could read a map :(

I can certainly look at a map. Just don't ask me directions to anywhere.

> As I often explained to Ry, I live in the long dangly part that is at
> the same latitude as Oregon.

I didn't know Canada had dangly parts. Is it the canadian Florida, then...?

BeH

BeH

Sep 30, 2022, 6:04:12 PM9/30/22
On 30.09.2022 18.31, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th4u88$1c3j$3...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I doubt that.
> But maybe. I'll probably never know for sure since you rebuffed my efforts
> to talk to you outside the froup.

I did? it does sound like something I would do...

> I bet if you polled everyone who's ever met me, half of them would say I'm
> genius-level smart and half would say I'm quite possibly the stupidest
> person they've ever met.

Speaking of smrt: I took the on-line "just for fun" Mensa self-test
recently. I seem to have mislaid about 10 points since I was youngish. I
seem to no longer qualify for membership, although it did say old people
could add a few points to the score.

BeH

BeH

Oct 1, 2022, 6:06:26 PM10/1/22
On 01.10.2022 17.50, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th7p4p$oc0$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> It looks more like a dragon's tail and less like a penis. Geez, do some
> googling.

I meant sociologically not geographically. I know how to map, Geez. Also
I know about "fake London" - so named by a city-planning/public transit
advocate youtuber I watch sometimes...

BeH

BeH

Oct 1, 2022, 6:06:26 PM10/1/22
On 01.10.2022 17.50, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th7nfb$507$7...@gioia.aioe.org:
> He told me that someone in his ancestry is French Canadian. I'm not sure
> who. It could be several generations ago.

Every little bit counts. (It seems to hold for most us-americans at
least. They all have a list of countries they are "from" if someone in
their ancestry was from there.. It's a bit weird)

>>> I'll try not to focus on that when I don't pay for doctors or
>>> prescriptions or when it costs me $10 to get my teeth cleaned.
>>
>> He-he. Silly 'merkins.
>> But also: Dammit, I pay close to $100[1] for a teeth cleaning. And I'm
>> supposed to have it done 4times/year because reasons.
>> The previous government cut almost all subsidy for dental care, and
>> the present one don't seem in a hurry to reverse that.
>>
>> BeH
>> 1: Not actual dollars but the equivalent monetary value in the local
>> currency.
>>

> I looked on my last bill. It costs $210 and my insurance covers 90%.
> If I had a spouse, the co-pay would cover the rest.

You should get one of them, then. I mean 20 bucks is 20 bucks...

BeH

BeH

Oct 1, 2022, 6:06:26 PM10/1/22
On 01.10.2022 17.50, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:th7p4q$oc0$2...@gioia.aioe.org:

>>> I doubt that.
>>> But maybe. I'll probably never know for sure since you rebuffed my
>>> efforts to talk to you outside the froup.
>>
>> I did? it does sound like something I would do...
>
> Now I have a complex.

A complex what?

>>> I bet if you polled everyone who's ever met me, half of them would
>>> say I'm genius-level smart and half would say I'm quite possibly the
>>> stupidest person they've ever met.
>>
>> Speaking of smrt: I took the on-line "just for fun" Mensa self-test
>> recently. I seem to have mislaid about 10 points since I was youngish.
>> I seem to no longer qualify for membership, although it did say old
>> people could add a few points to the score.
>>

> I've never done a Mensa test. I don't think I would do well on the word-
> play type of questions. I'm more math-brained. And then there's that
> whole thing of not wanting to be part of a club that would have me as a
> member.

Proper serious IQ-tests don't use text-based questions at all. Too much
cultural bias. It's all drawings with specific pattern like:
What goes into the empty field:
. .. ...
: :: :::
' '' ___ stuff like that.

I've never considered joining the club - I just like to know I'm not
getting completely stupid. Also Mensa is a silly concept; the members
have literally nothing in common except being good at solving riddles...

> when I was at uni, I got a job one summer working with a psychology lab.
> I was basically a guinea pig for the summer. It paid really well. I got
> to work with a hypnotist which adult me is now nervous about. One of the
> experiments they also did was to assess how alcohol impairs one's brain.
> I had to take a standard IQ test and then have a drink and then take
> another IQ test etc. My scores kept getting better up to and including
> the 3rd drink but after that, it was chaos.I'm not a psychologist, but I
> can see that drunk people wouldn't give a shit about taking a stupid
> test.

...or not being able to read the instructions. The getting better with
each test is a thing, though. Being familiar with the type of problem
the tests contains helps significantly.

BeH

BeH

Oct 2, 2022, 8:12:18 PM10/2/22
On 02.10.2022 13.12, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thadl0$mon$5...@gioia.aioe.org:

[...]
>>> He told me that someone in his ancestry is French Canadian. I'm not
>>> sure who. It could be several generations ago.
>>
>> Every little bit counts. (It seems to hold for most us-americans at
>> least. They all have a list of countries they are "from" if someone in
>> their ancestry was from there.. It's a bit weird)
>
> All of us whose people come from away probably do that. It's just that
> all my people came from the British Isles. That's probably a
> religion/geographic convenience thing more than anything else. Rural
> people went into town on Sundays to attend church. It was the Tinder of
> the 1800s.

Sure, but if a persons parents and grandparents were born in USA [as
example], then they themselves are of USA. And I don't think they will
take kindly if one were to suggest they weren't proper 'Merkuns either.

>>> I looked on my last bill. It costs $210 and my insurance covers 90%.
>>> If I had a spouse, the co-pay would cover the rest.
>>
>> You should get one of them, then. I mean 20 bucks is 20 bucks...
>
> Wanna help me write up a dating profile?

Trust me, you do not want my input for that... From what I have
learned from the internet, just don't add pictures of yourself holding a
fish; or maybe that only applies to men.

BeH

Oct 2, 2022, 8:12:21 PM10/2/22
On 02.10.2022 13.12, Merlyne wrote:

>>> when I was at uni, I got a job one summer working with a psychology
>>> lab. I was basically a guinea pig for the summer. It paid really
>>> well. I got to work with a hypnotist which adult me is now nervous
>>> about. One of the experiments they also did was to assess how alcohol
>>> impairs one's brain. I had to take a standard IQ test and then have a
>>> drink and then take another IQ test etc. My scores kept getting
>>> better up to and including the 3rd drink but after that, it was
>>> chaos.I'm not a psychologist, but I can see that drunk people
>>> wouldn't give a shit about taking a stupid test.
>>
>> ...or not being able to read the instructions. The getting better with
>> each test is a thing, though. Being familiar with the type of problem
>> the tests contains helps significantly.
>>

> At work, I have to go through second language assessment every 5 years
> to supervise since I'm not fully bilingual. The reading and writing
> tests are multiple guess exams. When in doubt, pick B. They have these
> workshops to prepare for the exams which is basically doing practice
> tests all day. Eventually patterns appear.

Patterns of the language I hope - not just patterns of when to pick B.
Or you could - and this is only a suggestion - learn french and subject
yourself to it from time to time.

BeH

BeH

Oct 2, 2022, 8:12:21 PM10/2/22
On 02.10.2022 13.12, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thadl1$mon$6...@gioia.aioe.org:
>
>> On 01.10.2022 17.50, Merlyne wrote:
[...]
>>> It looks more like a dragon's tail and less like a penis. Geez, do
>>> some googling.
>>>
>> I meant sociologically not geographically. I know how to map, Geez.
>> Also I know about "fake London" - so named by a city-planning/public
>> transit advocate youtuber I watch sometimes...
>>
> I'm not psychic.
> What, in your mind, are the sociological characteristics of Floridians?

Have you never encountered the term "Florida Man" - it's a whole thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Man

Also: https://floridaman.com/

BeH

BeH

Oct 3, 2022, 5:18:35 PM10/3/22
On 03.10.2022 14.04, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thd9d2$img$7...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I have seen the meme where you google "Florida man" + your birthday.
>
> I thought this was going to be about how there are so many retired
> Canadians who winter in Florida that they had to get 2 hockey teams.

I didn't know that so many canadians wintered in Florida, but it could
also be that floridians were pleased with a nice cool place to sit down
and watch fistfights...

BeH

BeH

Oct 3, 2022, 5:18:35 PM10/3/22
On 03.10.2022 14.04, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thd9d1$img$6...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I think you can still say 'I have a Swedish grandmother' as long as you
> are waving the flag when you do it.

Ah, but which flag?

> Oddly, our census has a question about a person's ancestry. So many
> people were putting "Canadian' in the write-in that they finally added
> it as a category. But not until 2001 or 2006.

Was that because they were uncomfortable asking for peoples race?
Also what did actual Canadians (first people) put before then?

>>> Wanna help me write up a dating profile?
>>
>> Trust me, you do not want my input for that... From what I have
>> learned from the internet, just don't add pictures of yourself holding
>> a fish; or maybe that only applies to men.
>>

> One of my friends uses online dating sites. She meets a lot of guys I
> will politely refer to as 'undateable'.

It all seems weird to me. You *know* everybody is going to lie through
their teeth on their profile which leaves just how they present
themselves in pictures (fish or no fish) to decide possible compatibility...

BeH

BeH

Oct 3, 2022, 5:18:36 PM10/3/22
On 03.10.2022 14.04, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thd9d4$img$8...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I have been subjected to it my whole life. They even teach it in school. I
> have been on language training about a gazillion times. Some people just
> have trouble learning languages. I am one of those people.

Quelle malheur ma chère...

Well I flunked french in "high school". If not for that I might have
become a lawyer...

BeH

BeH

BeH

Oct 5, 2022, 8:01:17 AM10/5/22
On 04.10.2022 13.41, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thfjjb$1htu$7...@gioia.aioe.org:
>> Quelle malheur ma chère...
>
> Google translate?

Noeh, but I did check the spelling of malheur...

> J'ai réussi à les examens requise pour superviser.
>
> (I see I need to find out how to set my newreader to UTF-8)
> (And no, I didn't use an app to translate that)

Of course not - you're canadian.

>> Well I flunked french in "high school". If not for that I might have
>> become a lawyer...
>>

> Well, it appears that you do like to argue..

Only when someone else is wrong.

> I guess everything does stay on your permanent record.

That's what permanent means, innit.
No, it meant that my grade average (from 0-13 ATT) was 0,1 to low to get
accepted at Copenhagen Uni. that year.

BeH

BeH

Oct 5, 2022, 8:01:17 AM10/5/22

>>> I have seen the meme where you google "Florida man" + your birthday.
>>>
>>> I thought this was going to be about how there are so many retired
>>> Canadians who winter in Florida that they had to get 2 hockey teams.
>>
>> I didn't know that so many canadians wintered in Florida, but it could
>> also be that floridians were pleased with a nice cool place to sit
>> down and watch fistfights...
>>

> That happens rarely.

That floridians are pleased? Or did you mean them sitting down...

BeH

BeH

Oct 5, 2022, 8:01:17 AM10/5/22
On 04.10.2022 13.41, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thfjja$1htu$5...@gioia.aioe.org:
> The Merkan one of course. It wouldn't do to be waving anything else
> there. That's something that might get you killed.

That was why all the canadian truckers were sporting 'merkin flags when
they were protesting and blocking all the traffic earlier this year, I
guess. Afraid to be mistaken for swedes...

>>> Oddly, our census has a question about a person's ancestry. So many
>>> people were putting "Canadian' in the write-in that they finally
>>> added it as a category. But not until 2001 or 2006.
>>
>> Was that because they were uncomfortable asking for peoples race?
>
> Not at all. This is just a guess: in the beginning everyone's family
> came from soemwhere else. In recent times, they have a rule that if the
> write-ins comprise of X% of the total reponses then they add it as a
> category.
>
>> Also what did actual Canadians (first people) put before then?
>
> A lot of indigenous people don't do the census. Sometimes it's their
> bands policy not to be involved in our politics and sometimes it's due
> to the remoteness of their communities. The response rates have been
> improving a lot over time. There are separate questions about Registered
> Indian status and aboriginal identity i.e. First Nations, Métis, Inuit
> etc.

I see. Well we don't do censusseses here. Due to the national CPR
register the gubberment at all times how many we are. And how old we
are. And where we live.
Last (physical) census was in 1945 - due to some disturbance the
national registers were assumed to be somewhat corrupted...

>>> One of my friends uses online dating sites. She meets a lot of guys I
>>> will politely refer to as 'undateable'.
>>
>> It all seems weird to me. You *know* everybody is going to lie through
>> their teeth on their profile which leaves just how they present
>> themselves in pictures (fish or no fish) to decide possible
>> compatibility...
>>

> I'd wager the same people who lie in person like at a bar are the same
> ones who lie on their dating profile. Maybe the 'catch of the day'
> person has a great sense humour (or irony?). You never know until you
> try something.

Or maybe they smell of fish - you can't tell that from a picture.

Also if someone tells you that they are an astronaut or a secret agent
type they are almost certainly lying. In other cases it will be easier
to evaluate their veracity face to face...

BeH

BeH

BeH

Oct 6, 2022, 5:45:01 PM10/6/22
On 06.10.2022 20.49, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thjrmb$8i2$3...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I didn't notice those flags. I noticed a lot of 'Fuck Trudeau' flags,
> however. The protest started out as the truckers being pissed because
> they couldn't cross the border unless vaccinated. Not sure what our
> government was supposed to do about US customs. Quickly, the whole thing
> was hijacked by extreme right-winged groups (like the ones who stormed
> the Capital on January 6). As the capital city, we get a lot of
> protestors and our city officials naively assumed these people would
> descend on us for the weekend and leave Sunday.

I think there were some newsstories at the time about USian truckers
were 'assisting' at some stage - no mention that I recall of whether
they were vaccinated, although I imagine they would want to cross back
into US at some point...

>>> Not at all. This is just a guess: in the beginning everyone's family
>>> came from soemwhere else. In recent times, they have a rule that if
>>> the write-ins comprise of X% of the total reponses then they add it
>>> as a category.

>>> A lot of indigenous people don't do the census. Sometimes it's their
>>> bands policy not to be involved in our politics and sometimes it's
>>> due to the remoteness of their communities. The response rates have
>>> been improving a lot over time. There are separate questions about
>>> Registered Indian status and aboriginal identity i.e. First Nations,
>>> Métis, Inuit etc.
>>
>> I see. Well we don't do censusseses here. Due to the national CPR
>> register the gubberment at all times how many we are. And how old we
>> are. And where we live.
>> Last (physical) census was in 1945 - due to some disturbance the
>> national registers were assumed to be somewhat corrupted...
>
> I knew that. There is project at StatCan to look into creating some sort
> of 'people registry' like the Scandahoovian countries have. It will
> probably never get off the ground mostly due to the bullshit levels of
> bureaucracy that you have to go through to do anything here.

There are some legitimate privacy issues - including that this unique
identifier is used in all kinds of context; health care, taxation and
pensions, banks et.c.
We have a Data Protection Agency to try and keep private data out of the
hands of people who shouldn't have it. Incidentally they recently
forbade a school district to use chromebooks because of privacy concerns
vis a vis Google...
> What a coincidence! I'm a secret agent too!

I Don't believe you - so you don't have to kill me now.

> And that fish smell? It's my new cologne --Fruit de Mer.

Very -erm- catching...

BeH

BeH

Oct 6, 2022, 5:45:01 PM10/6/22
On 06.10.2022 20.49, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thjrmb$8i2$4...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Yes.

I knew you were going to say that...

BeH

BeH

Oct 6, 2022, 5:45:02 PM10/6/22
On 06.10.2022 20.49, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thjrmc$8i2$5...@gioia.aioe.org:
> *inobvious eye roll*
>
> I meant that level of granularity.
>
>> No, it meant that my grade average (from 0-13 ATT) was 0,1 to low to
>> get accepted at Copenhagen Uni. that year.
>>
> I am unfamiliar with your school system and grading system.

Not to worry, so am I - they chanced it (again) since I went to school.
I only mentioned it to show that the my average was just 1% below the
admittance criteria.

> At our high school, we got measured in percentages.
> I should go find my old report cards. My Mom gave them to me when I got
> a place of my own. A bunch had comments like "she should try harder". I
> already had an A. No wonder people thinks most teachers wouldn't
> register a blip on a catscan...

There was an A+ or A* to shoot for, shirley

BeH

BeH

Oct 8, 2022, 4:28:26 PM10/8/22
On 08.10.2022 16.30, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thni8r$193t$3...@gioia.aioe.org:
>

>>> I knew that. There is project at StatCan to look into creating some
>>> sort of 'people registry' like the Scandahoovian countries have. It
>>> will probably never get off the ground mostly due to the bullshit
>>> levels of bureaucracy that you have to go through to do anything
>>> here.
>>
>> There are some legitimate privacy issues - including that this unique
>> identifier is used in all kinds of context; health care, taxation and
>> pensions, banks et.c.
>> We have a Data Protection Agency to try and keep private data out of
>> the hands of people who shouldn't have it. Incidentally they recently
>> forbade a school district to use chromebooks because of privacy
>> concerns vis a vis Google...
>
> I was actually wondering how they planned on keep the information up-to-
> date. They asked me for a dump from my database which is always 2 years
> behind. Not helpful.

Every citizen will obviously be self-reporting any changes.
> See? It's working already.

It would work on a cat...

BeH

BeH

Oct 8, 2022, 4:28:26 PM10/8/22
On 08.10.2022 16.30, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thni8s$193t$4...@gioia.aioe.org:
> And I knew you were going to say that...

Say what?

BeH

BeH

Oct 8, 2022, 4:28:26 PM10/8/22
On 08.10.2022 16.30, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thni8t$193t$5...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Doctor: "I'm not sure why your 8 year old has an ulcer"

At least you're not japanese...

> Surely I've told you not to call me shirley in the past.

Maybe your teacher had an other pupil who should try harder. A pupil
named Shirley.

BeH

BeH

Oct 10, 2022, 10:45:02 AM10/10/22
On 10.10.2022 15.41, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thsmh9$llt$2...@gioia.aioe.org:

>>> I was actually wondering how they planned on keep the information
>>> up-to- date. They asked me for a dump from my database which is
>>> always 2 years behind. Not helpful.
>>
>> Every citizen will obviously be self-reporting any changes.
>
> But the problem is they will be expected to do that (and 50% will) but
> the others won't.

That's what the fines are for.
> Not my cat.

Do you want me to send you my dead mouse to try on your cat? It hasn't
been dead for more than a day... yet.

BeH

BeH

Oct 10, 2022, 10:46:37 AM10/10/22
On 10.10.2022 15.41, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thsmh9$llt$3...@gioia.aioe.org:
BeH

BeH

Oct 10, 2022, 11:00:24 AM10/10/22
On 10.10.2022 15.41, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:thsmha$llt$4...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Yes..
>

>>> Surely I've told you not to call me shirley in the past.
>>
>> Maybe your teacher had an other pupil who should try harder. A pupil
>> named Shirley.
>>

> If I was in school in the 1940s, maybe.
>
> https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/top5names.html

That young miss Temple has a lot to answer for. Also silly canadians...
Anyway not evertone has a top10 name - there is every reason to believe
that mine for example has never been particularly popular.

BeH

BeH

Oct 11, 2022, 5:24:46 PM10/11/22
On 11.10.2022 22.38, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti1b5c$kg5$1...@gioia.aioe.org:

>>> But the problem is they will be expected to do that (and 50% will)
>>> but the others won't.
>>
>> That's what the fines are for.
>
> What happens if someone doesn't pay the fine?
> The newsmedia here have this uncanny ability to find the one person who
> will have decide whether the pay the fine or buy food for their family.

That's easy. Then the relevant gubberment functionary will know where
they are (from the newsreport) and go get the missing information.
> Save the postage. Soonish I will probably have mice in the house and she
> can catch a fresh one.

So she's good for something after all. When she's awake.

BeH

BeH

Oct 11, 2022, 5:25:35 PM10/11/22
On 11.10.2022 22.38, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti1b8c$kg5$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> No you didn't.

Did too.

BeH

BeH

Oct 11, 2022, 5:38:59 PM10/11/22

>>> If I was in school in the 1940s, maybe.
>>>
>>> https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/top5names.html
>> That young miss Temple has a lot to answer for. Also silly
>> canadians... Anyway not evertone has a top10 name - there is every
>> reason to believe that mine for example has never been particularly
>> popular.
>>
> Maybe not in the US of A.

I once looked it up in a New York phone book (it was long ago when phone
books were a thing). I had a couple of columns of namesakes then.

> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Danish_given_names#The_most_comm
> on_given_names_in_Denmark_1890_-_2008

Well, colour me striped and call me a maypole. But that was in the 1930s
- I meant never in living memory.

BeH

BeH

Oct 12, 2022, 6:07:48 PM10/12/22
On 12.10.2022 13.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti4mus$1b78$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> One down, 500,000 to go...

It's not actually going to that much of a problem once the system is
implemented. You want a bank-account - need a CPR number. Want a job -
need a bank account (likewise for any monetary assistance from public
coffers or tax refunds). Want a passport, medical assistance of any
kind, borrow from a public library, pay taxes, enroll in education
facility - need a CPR number.
> She's been practicing with the toy mouse. At 2 AM.

The squeaky kind?

BeH

BeH

Oct 12, 2022, 6:08:28 PM10/12/22
On 12.10.2022 13.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti4n0e$1b78$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> No, you didn't.

Didn't what?

BeH

BeH

Oct 12, 2022, 6:11:50 PM10/12/22
On 12.10.2022 13.34, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti4npe$1khs$1...@gioia.aioe.org:

>>> Maybe not in the US of A.
>>
>> I once looked it up in a New York phone book (it was long ago when
>> phone books were a thing). I had a couple of columns of namesakes
>> then.
>
> A guy I went to high school with texted me on my work phone a few years
> ago. He looked up my name + the city and got 2 hits. One was me and the
> other was Black girl who's an architect in the village where I live.
>

> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Danish_given_names#The_most_co
>>> mm on_given_names_in_Denmark_1890_-_2008
>>
>> Well, colour me striped and call me a maypole. But that was in the
>> 1930s - I meant never in living memory.
>>

> I notice that my name was popular in your country in the 1910s. I guess
> it took 50 years for it to become popular in the colonies.

Ahem. We don't have any colonies (any more). But yes we danes have
always been on the forefront on cultural issues...

BeH

BeH

Oct 13, 2022, 5:38:43 PM10/13/22
On 13.10.2022 14.03, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti7drj$1gh9$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> We have a social insurance number that you need to open a bank account
> or get a job. It relates to income tax stuff, anything you would require
> a tax form for (income, whether employment or public money, investments,
> tuition). But you don't need it for the other stuff like passports etc.
>
> I used to follow a tax froup on usenet years ago. I helped out filing
> tax returns for low-income seniors at the time. An accountant used to
> post all these hilarilous stories from the time he worked at the Revenue
> Agency. He said that people could cheat the system by filing their taxes
> without the SIN number and they would be issued a new one. When a
> record linkage project started up at work, one of the methodologists was
> blown away that someone in the tax database had 15 SIN numbers. there's
> a saying that nothing is fool-proof because fools are often ingenious.

How could that even work. Was all the SIN-numbers active/valid at the
same time - possible prescription drug palooza - or did they have to
figure out what their number is after each tax-return?
Also why didn't the tax-people just look up the correct SIN instead of
handing out new ones all over the place?

[---]

>>> She's been practicing with the toy mouse. At 2 AM.
>>
>> The squeaky kind?
>>

> The squeaky things are dog toys. Cat's no like noise.

I've known of cats that very much like to make noise - loud,
penetrating, undulating noise - in the middle of the night when decent
people are trying to sleep.

BeH

BeH

Oct 13, 2022, 5:40:21 PM10/13/22
On 13.10.2022 14.03, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti7dsr$1gh9$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I can't remember now.

Yes you can.

BeH

BeH

Oct 13, 2022, 5:45:00 PM10/13/22
On 13.10.2022 14.03, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:ti7e34$1j8u$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> Pastries?
> Butter cookies?

That's a culinary issue.

> Teak furniture?

That's a carpentry issue.

I meant we've been aware of the "Karens" for a long time...

BeH

BeH

Oct 14, 2022, 8:55:20 AM10/14/22
On 14.10.2022 13.46, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tia0h2$1lg9$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> That's an excellent question. One for which I have no answer.
> When they do security screenings on people, they use name, dob and
> address. There's no reason why CRA can't do the same and reverse-
> engineer a SIN number. Lazy government workers...
>>
>> [---]

>>> The squeaky things are dog toys. Cat's no like noise.
>>
>> I've known of cats that very much like to make noise - loud,
>> penetrating, undulating noise - in the middle of the night when decent
>> people are trying to sleep.
>>

> Light sleeper, huh?

Sounds that mostly allude to someone or something being brutally
murdered do tend to wake me up, yes...

> I think my cat is not adverse to noises that she creates herself.
> She will leave the room if the tv is on too loud or someone
> sneezes/coughs or if I am talking on the phone. She really hates the
> Zoom conferences.

So she wants to hear herself and only herself. I've known people like that.
Also I've never participated in a Zoom conference. After my time, I guess.

BeH

BeH

Oct 14, 2022, 8:57:43 AM10/14/22
On 14.10.2022 13.46, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tia0k3$1lg9$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> But I don't want to remember.

Fine, then. I shan't remind you...

BeH

BeH

Oct 14, 2022, 8:59:46 AM10/14/22
On 14.10.2022 13.46, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tia0sr$1p9j$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> I'm guessing in 1910 they weren't privileged white women with perfectly
> coifed hair who yell 'I want to see the manager'.

Probably not. I can't think of any turn-of-the-century danes that would
inspire the popularity.

BeH

BeH

Oct 15, 2022, 6:11:48 PM10/15/22
On 15.10.2022 15.29, Merlyne wrote:
> *adds have Zoom conference with BeH to bucket list before 'get TikTok
> account'*

Good luck with that. I still don't have a webcam.

> I don't want you to die a virgin.

I did take part in some video conferences back in the day (1993-ish).
That involved a great big camera and a wall mounted tv. Mostly though it
was 1/2 hour taxi -> 1/2 hour plane ride -> 3/4 hour drive to have a
physical meeting. On behalf of the country's largest telecom operator...

> We use MS Teams at work.
> It has some advantages over in person meetings such as if you have your
> camera off and the meeting is boring, you can play Candy Crush or
> pretend that your internet connection dropped. When we were 100%
> virtual, the director would ask to get invited to team meeting randomly
> just to stay in touch with people. Like the rank and file want to hang
> out with upper management. *eye roll* I have 2 programmers who report to
> me who would never put their camera on at meetings. I'm cool with that.
> The director called me after a meeting and asked how I knew they were
> working. Seriously?

Well, how do you know? It's not like those types produce anything
tangible. It's all bits and zeroes and ones with them.

> The benefit of not having your camera on at meetings is that no one can
> see you rolling your eyes when they say something stupid or blather away
> off topic for an extended period of time. In the before-time, I would
> doodle in my notebook or write 'OMG STFU' or something like that which
> would often make the person sitting beside me burst out laughing. MYOB.

Heh. The first place I worked the boss insisted on going over the
accounting in d-e-t-a-i-l every month; overhead slides and all. All nine
of us sitting there listening attentively (obv.)...

BeH

BeH

Oct 15, 2022, 6:14:28 PM10/15/22
On 15.10.2022 15.29, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tibmc6$hqn$2...@gioia.aioe.org:
> And thusly ends this thread.

Consigned to oblivion...

BeH

BeH

Oct 16, 2022, 3:36:10 PM10/16/22
On 16.10.2022 18.16, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tifb72$c8a$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> You don't need a webcam, you need an internet connection.

I do have one of those...

> <whispers...your cellphone has a camera>

IT DOES??? What will they think of next.

>>> I don't want you to die a virgin.
>>
>> I did take part in some video conferences back in the day (1993-ish).
>> That involved a great big camera and a wall mounted tv. Mostly though
>> it was 1/2 hour taxi -> 1/2 hour plane ride -> 3/4 hour drive to have
>> a physical meeting. On behalf of the country's largest telecom
>> operator...
>
> We had those too. Except that there were probably 2 or 3 conference
> rooms with the camera/tv. Now they all have them.

And things are so much better now, coordination and co-operation vise...
or what!

>>> We use MS Teams at work.
>>> It has some advantages over in person meetings such as if you have
>>> your camera off and the meeting is boring, you can play Candy Crush
>>> or pretend that your internet connection dropped. When we were 100%
>>> virtual, the director would ask to get invited to team meeting
>>> randomly just to stay in touch with people. Like the rank and file
>>> want to hang out with upper management. *eye roll* I have 2
>>> programmers who report to me who would never put their camera on at
>>> meetings. I'm cool with that. The director called me after a meeting
>>> and asked how I knew they were working. Seriously?
>>
>> Well, how do you know? It's not like those types produce anything
>> tangible. It's all bits and zeroes and ones with them.
>
> Well, someone is loading the databases and creating custom extractions
> for clients. The only other person who can program on the team is me and
> I know I didn't do their work.
>

>>> The benefit of not having your camera on at meetings is that no one
>>> can see you rolling your eyes when they say something stupid or
>>> blather away off topic for an extended period of time. In the
>>> before-time, I would doodle in my notebook or write 'OMG STFU' or
>>> something like that which would often make the person sitting beside
>>> me burst out laughing. MYOB.
>>
>> Heh. The first place I worked the boss insisted on going over the
>> accounting in d-e-t-a-i-l every month; overhead slides and all. All
>> nine of us sitting there listening attentively (obv.)...
>>
> Ugh! I leave my body at those meetings.Then someone calls my name and
> sucks me back into the vortex. What did I think of the idea? Yep. it's
> craptactular! I tell them I missed the question because I left my body.
> They all laugh because they think I'm joking.

The worst part, I always found, was all the time (and money) is wasted
on these things - half the people aren't interested in *any* of and the
rest are only invested in a little bit. Also 50 consultants (who could
be billing opwards of €200/hour) sitting there for an hour...

BeH

BeH

Oct 17, 2022, 3:11:02 PM10/17/22
On 17.10.2022 12.38, Merlyne wrote:
> BeH <old...@wits.end> wrote in news:tihmf9$1lju$1...@gioia.aioe.org:
> You'll have to wait to see.

Oh never mind, it will probably just be something silly - like *two*
cameras.
> Weird. I never invited any of the consultants I've had to hire to budget
> meetings. It was usally them booking meetings to present screen mock-ups
> and such.

It was a consulting firm - otherwise all the consultants would be
billing which somewhat eases the sense of futility.

BeH

BeH

Oct 18, 2022, 1:15:38 PM10/18/22
On 18.10.2022 16.27, Merlyne wrote:

[stuff]

>>> You'll have to wait to see.
>>
>> Oh never mind, it will probably just be something silly - like *two*
>> cameras.
>
> How many does an IPhone have?

I don't know - and I don't care. Appl* is evil...
> When I hired consultants, there was a contract that stipulated a per
> diem of X$. Then they gave me time sheets which were signed off by the
> project manager.

By the time I left the then top boss had plans to change the
pay-structure from overtime being time-and-1/2 (or time off), to base
salary + a bonus if one had been a good little worker and done a lot of
extra hours. I didn't much like that idea.

External billing was always by the hour, AFAIK. Time on fixed priced
projects were acct. internally by the hour. And set at project estimate
+ X% re. customer (where X was whatever they could get away with).

BeH