net-snmp issue

mar...@comcast.net

Aug 25, 2017, 10:57:05 PM8/25/17
to Alt-F
Hello,

RC5 on DNS321. I've installed the net-snmp package and run snmpconf to set up community information, etc. but snmpd never starts, and there's no snmpd line in inittab or entry in the sbin directory. Please let me know what I'm missing.

Thanks!

João Cardoso

Aug 26, 2017, 12:55:56 PM8/26/17
to Alt-F

On Saturday, 26 August 2017 03:57:05 UTC+1, mark99 wrote:
Hello,

RC5 on DNS321. I've installed the net-snmp package and run snmpconf to set up community information, etc. but snmpd never starts, and there's no snmpd line in inittab or entry in the sbin directory. Please let me know what I'm missing.

You have to start it yourself, just type 'snmpd' and it will start. To do it at boot, use a "user boot" script.

Thanks!

Rich Makris

Aug 28, 2017, 7:38:10 PM8/28/17
to Alt-F
Hi Everyone,

So I found this post by searching. Been using Alt-F for a long time as there are so many more features and it's ease of use. Now it's delegated to just running backups but I wanted the snmp agent to keep tabs on it. The built in net-snmp is missing interfaces and host resources so I tried using slacker to update. It didn't work because I did not read the FAQ on how to properly use it - so that version may work. I also tried manually installing the arm package, but that failed too.

What did work was to upgrade to 1.0, then use the net-snmp package in Entware-ng. Easy to install - auto starts, and all the OIDs work.

Thanks again for saving my old hardware - I've never run into a problem that didn't have a resolution in the forum. And I have the DNS-323 C and no problems with a fresh install from 1.10 firmware. I have not fully tested it yet, though.

-Rich