Whats the best way to expand the Backup directory across a second drive?

dicky...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2015, 12:37:46 PM2/27/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
I am using 1 dns-320 as my main store with 2 x 2tb JBOD disks and backing up what I want to another dns-320 that had 1 2TB disk in it and the backup function is working very well.
(I am only using this method so I have 2 copies of my films and photos around and dint want to rely on RAID!)

I now want to backup another large directory from the main store nas to the backup nas and have added a second disk to the backup nas so it now has 2 x 2tb disks as well.

Now, the backup function only uses 1 drive to backup to so how best should I get the backup function to use the other drive?

I don't want to stop using the backup script functionality as its good! (I use the windows shares option as its Jaoa said its quicker which it is!)

So the best solution I can see to do is :-

1 start a new backup off of the new directory I want to backup from the main store nas and let the script create the directory and start the copy on the backup nas.

2 stop the backup script running and then create a link for that directory created to a directory on the new disk?

Are there any better options?

I didn't want to use raid 0 on my backup nas because if 1 disk dies I still have the other working and its backups will be ok and I only lose 1 set of backups.

Thanks,
Dicky.

João Cardoso

Mar 2, 2015, 10:32:52 AM3/2/15
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 5:37:46 PM UTC, dicky...@gmail.com wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure I understand what you intend to do:

-Having the Backup script use both disks?
  Can't be directly done, the webUI only supports one backup folder. But after creating the backup definitions you can edit /etc/backup.conf and change /Backup to, e.g., /mnt/sdb2/Backup2. One backup can't be done across disks.
-Change the backup location to the new disk?
  Change the current backup folder to the the disk, using the Change button under "Backup Destination Folder". Select, e.g. /mnt/sdb2, not /mnt/sdb2/Backup.
-Change and move the current backup folder to the new disk?
  Use Setup->Folders to move (not copy) the current backup folder to the new disk, e.g., move /mnt/sda2/Backup to /mnt/sdb2 and reboot. The new Backup folder will be used.

dicky...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 6:45:00 AM3/3/15
to al...@googlegroups.com
Thats brilliant! it was the first option - leave the current backups backing up to drive 1 and create a new backup to drive 2.

As you said, I created the backup in the gui then edited the destination in backup.conf to point to the second drive - and its working fine!

Thank you very much João!