ALT-F compatible NAS: DNS-345?

Frederic Depuydt

Jul 20, 2020, 8:26:01 AM7/20/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can't seem to find a closing answer to this, but can the Alt-F firmware run on a D-Link DNS-345? It looks to me as if these devices are from the same family, and the DNS-345 is briefly mentioned on the Alt-F FAQ.

But I'd rather have this confirmed before bricking my D-Link NAS-Server.

Kind regards,
Frederic Depuydt

Bert Broekhuizen

Aug 1, 2020, 8:10:40 AM8/1/20
to Alt-F
The short official answer is: the DNS-345 is not supported.

The more technical answer:
  1. As far as I know nobody has actually tried it.
  2. Even though from the same family, there are very likely hardware differences. Even for the currently supported models, you have to choose the correct image for it to function properly.
  3. If someone were to try it, which image to pick? One could make an educated guess, but my assumption is that there's a very big chance that you'll brick your DNS-345 in the attempt if you manage to write it to the flash.
  4. Updating through the Web interface will almost certainly fail; whichever image you pick will not have to correct signature for the DNS-345 web interface to accept it.
Finally, the Alt-F developer (João Cardoso) has expressed multiple time that he's not planning to add support for DNS-34x devices.

Best regards,
Bert

Erich Kluiber

Jun 30, 2021, 5:00:43 AM6/30/21
to Alt-F
That´s very unfortunate.
Since a few weeks i have the problem that i only get access to my DNS-345 if i enable SMB1 in "Programs and Features". In addition, every time I restart Windows, I have to reconnect the two drives I have set up on the DNS-345.
Otherwise, the NAS has worked flawlessly for years and it would be an unnecessary cost to replace it.
Regards
Erich

Jeremy Laidman

Jun 30, 2021, 9:40:54 PM6/30/21
to Alt-F
You might be able to get Optware/Entware or other "extensions" added to it. And from there, install a newer version of Samba that supports SMB2.

Joao Cardoso

Jul 6, 2021, 9:30:44 PM7/6/21
to Alt-F
On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 2:40:54 AM UTC+1 Jezzaaaa wrote:
You might be able to get Optware/Entware or other "extensions" added to it.

That is the problem. At a certain point D-Link stopped supporting the fun_plug script that allowed users to do that without having to solder anything in the boxes. I remember reading that in their releases notes for a given box and fw version.