Proper steps to break RAID

strongline

Apr 22, 2012, 10:42:27 AM4/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao,

I currently have RAID1 on 2 disks, I plan to break RAID and use it as 2 seperate disks. Does below steps look OK to you? The goal is to have the data completely safe (they are family photos :-))

1. Filesystems->RAID->select second component -> fail
2. Disk->Utilities->Eject second disk
3. Shutdown the box and take second disk out
    Note. I understand that I probably don't have to but taking out one disk is all precaution measure - just in case I blew things up then I still have an offline disk

4. Power back up
5. Filesystems->RAID->Stop array
6. Insert back second disk and mount it as another fs

Also do I need to "comonnet Operations->clear" against second disk before all above steps?

Box is running on 0.1RC2 on top of stock firmware 1.09

As always, thank you for this fine art of work and your time on this forum.

John

Joao Cardoso

Apr 22, 2012, 1:18:52 PM4/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:42:27 PM UTC+1, strongline wrote:
Hi Joao,

I currently have RAID1 on 2 disks, I plan to break RAID and use it as 2 seperate disks. Does below steps look OK to you? The goal is to have the data completely safe (they are family photos :-))

1. Filesystems->RAID->select second component -> fail

You don't really need to fail it; as you are going to power the box down and remove the disk, that works as a "fail" when power is recovered.

2. Disk->Utilities->Eject second disk

You only need to "eject"  if you are going to unplug the disk without turning power off.

3. Shutdown the box and take second disk out
    Note. I understand that I probably don't have to but taking out one disk is all precaution measure - just in case I blew things up then I still have an offline disk

Yes, that is wise.

4. Power back up
5. Filesystems->RAID->Stop array
6. Insert back second disk and mount it as another fs

Do you intend to repartition the disk?
Anyway it is advisable to go to the Disk Partitioner and change the relevant partition type from RAID to linux.

And what do you intend to do with the now degraded RAID? Keep it as RAID in degraded mode? It will continue working in that mode, but it is weird and psychologically will not inspire confidence...

Also do I need to "comonnet Operations->clear" against second disk before all above steps?

That is needed to clear traces of RAID in the disk partition, or you take the risk of the disk to be reassembled (not if you have "fail" it)

I think that you got the general idea.

I would proceed as follow:

1-power down the box
2-remove one disk and stick a label "RAID PHOTOS" on it!
3-power the box up; the raid should start in degraded mode
4-RAID-> STOP, than RAID->Destroy
5-Disk Partitioner, change partition type to linux
6-Disk Filesystems->New FS Operations->Format (select ext2/3, as the vendor firmware don't recognize ext4 -- does it recognize ext3?
7-power down the box, insert the RAID PHOTOS disk, power on, RAID will appear as "degraded" but operational
8-Copy all data from degraded DISK to new ext2/3 formated disk. Verify it.
9-Optionaly label it "NEW", power down, remove it, power on.

repeat 4,5,6 for the "RAID PHOTOS", that will be your new empty disk.

Box is running on 0.1RC2 on top of stock firmware 1.09

Ah, "on top", not flashed... that can pose problems, depending on where the "alt-f" directory is, is it on RAID? Probably yes. Than you can't destroy the RAID, and I don't really know if D-Link will run the fun_plug script to boot Alt-F from the degraded RAID array... and how will D-Link firmware handle a degraded RAID plus a "standard" filesystem where it expects to find the RAID second component; and the partitioning scheme... and the disk order... hmmm, too much unknowns for my taste!

You have to make a feasibility study first. Don't fail the RAID, power down, remove one disk (hmm, left or right? it *will* be important latter), power on with only one disk -- does Alt-F still boots?
Even if yes, we don't know what will the D-Link firmware do when latter on it will find a non-raid partition where it expects a RAID... will it do an automatic RAID rebuild, assuming that a disk failed and a new disk was inserted in its place? Even if you disable "automatic rebuild" in D-Link firmware, what will happen? Will still D-Link boot Alt-F under that circunstances?

I CAN'T RECOMMEND doing it. Or at least do a backup first. Or flash Alt-F (even so, a backup is *always* advisable)

As always, thank you for this fine art of work and your time on this forum.

John

Thanks!

Joao Cardoso

Apr 22, 2012, 8:12:45 PM4/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:18:52 PM UTC+1, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:42:27 PM UTC+1, strongline wrote:
Hi Joao,

I currently have RAID1 on 2 disks, I plan to break RAID and use it as 2 seperate disks. Does below steps look OK to you? The goal is to have the data completely safe (they are family photos :-))

I've been wondering about your problem, and I might have found a solution without the need to flash Alt-F.

There are two main questions to answer. Will the D-Link firmware:
1-try to automatically rebuild the degraded RAID if it finds a "free" and available disk
2-execute the fun_plug script if the RAID is degraded?

-To solve the first question, you have to boot into D-Link and, perhaps in the RAID advanced section, disable automatic RAID rebuild.
I don't know if your version of the D-Link firmware has this option, but I remembered seeing it in one of the last versions I evaluated.

-To have the response to the second question, you have to power the box down, remove one disk, reboot the box and see if Alt-F boots.
To be absolutely sure, you should repeat the procedure twice, once for each disk (as the firmware might behave differently in the absence of the right or left disk.

After doing the above, insert the two disks and boot int Alt-F. You will have to do the entire procedure without rebooting the box.

1-RAID->fail one component (sda2, e.g.)
2-RAID->remove failed component (sda2 will appear in red)
3-RAID->clear the removed component
4-Filesystem->Mount sda2

I have done this just now, without even stopping the array and I now have the data duplicated on both mount points:
(I failed/removed/cleared sdb2, not sda2)

# ls -l /mnt/sdb2/
total 20
drwxrwxrwx    9 transmis network       4096 Mar 24 01:38 Public
drwxrwxrwx    4 transmis network       4096 Apr 18 21:44 Transmission
drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root          4096 Apr 22 21:47 Users
drwxr-xr-x    3 lighttpd root          4096 Apr 15 18:21 WebData
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Mar  3 21:46 lost+found
# l /mnt/md0
total 20
drwxrwxrwx    9 transmis network       4096 Mar 24 01:38 Public
drwxrwxrwx    4 transmis network       4096 Apr 18 21:44 Transmission
drwxr-xr-x   11 root     root          4096 Apr 22 21:47 Users
drwxr-xr-x    3 lighttpd root          4096 Apr 15 18:21 WebData
drwx------    2 root     root          4096 Mar  3 21:46 lost+found

# df -h /mnt/md0 /mnt/sdb2
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/md0                 46.3G      5.3G     41.0G  11% /mnt/md0
/dev/sdb2                46.3G      5.3G     41.0G  11% /mnt/sdb2

# find /mnt/md0 | wc -l
25865
# find /mnt/sdb2 | wc -l
25865

The beauty of the thing is that now the "alt-f" directory and the fun_plug file (and permissions) exists at both disks, so it does not matters if the D-Link firmware looks for and executes the fun_plug file at either the "standard" or the degraded RAID disk. You only have to take care to not remove them.
Of course the RAID is now degraded, but it will continue working.
After being sure that you data if fine in the "standard" (sda2 in the example) disk, and survive reboots, you can even RAID->clean (or Destroy) the degraded RAID component and mount sdb2 as you did with sda2. I did it and now I have sda2 and sdb2 mounted as "standard".

Perhaps that is what you intended to do from the very beginning, as the topic says "... break RAID", apologies If I only confused you with my first post, but I'm getting slow as "time goes by" :-)

As always, NO WARRANTY (but I did it, without reboots)

Joao Cardoso

Apr 22, 2012, 10:14:32 PM4/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, April 23, 2012 1:12:45 AM UTC+1, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:18:52 PM UTC+1, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:42:27 PM UTC+1, strongline wrote:
Hi Joao,

I currently have RAID1 on 2 disks, I plan to break RAID and use it as 2 seperate disks. Does below steps look OK to you? The goal is to have the data completely safe (they are family photos :-))

I've been wondering about your problem, and I might have found a solution without the need to flash Alt-F.

As you can see I'm still wondering...

I think to remember that the vendor's firmware stores some disk information on flash memory (or is it on some "hidden" files on the normally unavailable sdx3 partition?).
I really can't imagine why they do need it, and I make no idea on what would happens if that info does not match the real disk status.

So, my final advise is to keep it as is. (or do a backup first, or flash Alt-F)

Luck

strongline

Apr 22, 2012, 11:35:43 PM4/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
I am going to reply this post instead of your last post as my comment and new questions will mainly to this post. I start all my comment lines with ">>>>>"

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:12:45 PM UTC-4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 6:18:52 PM UTC+1, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 3:42:27 PM UTC+1, strongline wrote:
Hi Joao,

I currently have RAID1 on 2 disks, I plan to break RAID and use it as 2 seperate disks. Does below steps look OK to you? The goal is to have the data completely safe (they are family photos :-))

I've been wondering about your problem, and I might have found a solution without the need to flash Alt-F.

There are two main questions to answer. Will the D-Link firmware:
1-try to automatically rebuild the degraded RAID if it finds a "free" and available disk

2-execute the fun_plug script if the RAID is degraded?

-To solve the first question, you have to boot into D-Link and, perhaps in the RAID advanced section, disable automatic RAID rebuild.
I don't know if your version of the D-Link firmware has this option, but I remembered seeing it in one of the last versions I evaluated.

-To have the response to the second question, you have to power the box down, remove one disk, reboot the box and see if Alt-F boots.
To be absolutely sure, you should repeat the procedure twice, once for each disk (as the firmware might behave differently in the absence of the right or left disk.

After doing the above, insert the two disks and boot int Alt-F. You will have to do the entire procedure without rebooting the box.

1-RAID->fail one component (sda2, e.g.)
2-RAID->remove failed component (sda2 will appear in red)

3-RAID->clear the removed component

4-Filesystem->Mount sda2

I have done this just now, without even stopping the array and I now have the data duplicated on both mount points:
(I failed/removed/cleared sdb2, not sda2)

The beauty of the thing is that now the "alt-f" directory and the fun_plug file (and permissions) exists at both disks, so it does not matters if the D-Link firmware looks for and executes the fun_plug file at either the "standard" or the degraded RAID disk. You only have to take care to not remove them.
Of course the RAID is now degraded, but it will continue working.
After being sure that you data if fine in the "standard" (sda2 in the example) disk, and survive reboots, you can even RAID->clean (or Destroy) the degraded RAID component and mount sdb2 as you did with sda2. I did it and now I have sda2 and sdb2 mounted as "standard".

Perhaps that is what you intended to do from the very beginning, as the topic says "... break RAID", apologies If I only confused you with my first post, but I'm getting slow as "time goes by" :-)

As always, NO WARRANTY (but I did it, without reboots)

Joao Cardoso (Alt-F)

Apr 23, 2012, 2:24:23 PM4/23/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday 22 April 2012 20:35:43 strongline wrote:

> > There are two main questions to answer. Will the D-Link firmware:
> > 1-try to automatically rebuild the degraded RAID if it finds a "free"
> > and
> > available disk

OK then

> > 2-execute the fun_plug script if the RAID is degraded?

> while now and rebooted it several times. Though it was always done on right
> disk - left disk was never tried. I can test it tomorrow.

Using only a single disk is not going to modify its behaviour, it will work.

The problem is with two disks present. Where does the vendor's firmware will
look for the fun_plug file to execute?
-The first detected (right disk?),
-will it search in the second disk if not found in the first?
-will it assemble RAID as soon as it finds one of its components,
-or will it scan all disks and only then make the RAID available?
-and if during the scan a "standard" disk with a fun_plug is found, will it
use it, or will wait for the RAID?

As you are already running in degraded mode with only one disk, how do you
intend to "break" the RAID? plugging-in the second disk and resync the RAID?

> > 1-RAID->fail one component (sda2, e.g.)
> > 2-RAID->remove failed component (sda2 will appear in red)

> physical remove based on step 3

Yes, no physical disk removal needed (or advised until all is finish)
"Component Operations"->Operation->Remove

> > 3-RAID->clear the removed component

"Remove" again means software, not physical removal.

And yes, in the "Component Operations", "Partition", all partitions with type
RAID or with RAID information on them will appear; this is done that way such
that you can add a new component (a spare, e.g., or a replacement for a failed
component) to the array.

> > 4-Filesystem->Mount sda2

> > looked for: keep first component intact, only bring down 2nd disk then
> > mount it back as a standalone fs.

What is the "Damage" context? I don't remember talking about it or seeing such
an option in the RAID web page. Ah, you mean "RAID Operations", "Destroy"?

"Stop" the array will unmount its filesystem (its data will not be available)
and make the device disappears -- no "md0". To reverse, just "Start" it.

"Destroy" the array stops is first and then "clears" the RAID information on
its components. To reverse you have to "Create" the array from the beginning
using the same components -- I have done that with the breaked array from my
minutes resync -- that's the advantage of having small disks for development)

> > Will either of them damage the data?

No. Of course it depends on what you do with the partitions/filesystems
aftwerwards.

The confirmation dialog of "Clear" and "Destroy" says that all data will be
lost. That is for the fainted-heart users :-)

In the "Disk Partitioner" I don't say that data will be lost, I say that it
will be inacessible -- the data is still there, the problem is how to access
it. The same happens in the RAID web page, it only manipulates RAID data, not
the filesystem (your) data.

Of course I know what Alt-F scripts do, but I make no idea what will D-Link
scripts do. That's the danger of running Alt-F "on top" of D-Link.

> > Not that I need to keep
> > disk#1

I don't know what disk disk#1 is.
I read from left to right, so #1 for me is the left disk; but for the kernel
disk#1 is the first disk it finds, and it uses to find the right disk first.
I remember that once a USB disk was found before the left disk, so it was
called "sdb", and the left disk was called "sdc".
That's why in the Status page I refer to left and right bay :-)

> > as you already pointed out, second disk will have identical
> > content,

Yes, but as you are running in degraded mode that is not true anymore. Only
after a lenghtly resync its contents will be identical. That's why I asked you
in the begining what do you intend to do in this respect.

Joao

strongline

Apr 23, 2012, 9:40:06 PM4/23/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Let me copy/paste your steps here so it's easier to read.

1-RAID->fail one component (sda2, e.g.)
2-RAID->remove failed component (sda2 will appear in red)
3-RAID->clear the removed component
4-Filesystem->Mount sda2

Using only a single disk is not going to modify its behaviour, it will work.

The problem is with two disks present. Where does the vendor's firmware will
look for the fun_plug file to execute?
-The first detected (right disk?),
-will it search in the second disk if not found in the first?
-will it assemble RAID as soon as it finds one of its components,
-or will it scan all disks and only then make the RAID available?
-and if during the scan a "standard" disk with a fun_plug is found, will it
use it, or will wait for the RAID?

[John] I see what you mean now. However we might not have to worry about this in the whole procedure. I will explain this in later comments.

As you are already running in degraded mode with only one disk, how do you
intend to "break" the RAID? plugging-in the second disk and resync the RAID?"Remove" again means software, not physical removal.
[John] This is the key question. I've thought that a RAID1 on one disk (degraded mode) can still be "broken". Is this not true? For RAID 1, why do we need two disks presented to break it if it can run in degraded mode on one disk? A degraded RAID 1 becomes a soft/logical concept that we should be able to "soft break" it.
And yes, in the "Component Operations", "Partition", all partitions with type
RAID or with RAID information on them will appear; this is done that way such
that you can add a new component (a spare, e.g., or a replacement for a failed
component) to the array.

> > 4-Filesystem->Mount sda2What is the "Damage" context? I don't remember talking about it or seeing such
an option in the RAID web page. Ah, you mean "RAID Operations", "Destroy"?

[John] Yes that's what I meant

"Stop" the array will unmount its filesystem (its data will not be available)
and make the device disappears -- no "md0". To reverse, just "Start" it.

"Destroy" the array stops is first and then "clears" the RAID information on
its components. To reverse you have to "Create" the array from the beginning
using the same components -- I have done that with the breaked array from my
minutes resync -- that's the advantage of having small disks for development)

> > Will either of them damage the data?

No. Of course it depends on what you do with the partitions/filesystems
aftwerwards.

The confirmation dialog of "Clear" and "Destroy" says that all data will be
lost. That is for the fainted-heart users :-)

In the "Disk Partitioner" I don't say that data will be lost, I say that it
will be inacessible -- the data is still there, the problem is how to access
it. The same happens in the RAID web page, it only manipulates RAID data, not
the filesystem (your) data.

Of course I know what Alt-F scripts do, but I make no idea what will D-Link
scripts do. That's the danger of running Alt-F "on top" of D-Link.

[John] Alt-F shouldn't have problem to access any disks if we have made them standard fs in previous steps, right?

> > Not that I need to keep
> > disk#1

I don't know what disk disk#1 is.
I read from left to right, so #1 for me is the left disk; but for the kernel
disk#1 is the first disk it finds, and it uses to find the right disk first.
I remember that once a USB disk was found before the left disk, so it was
called "sdb", and the left disk was called "sdc".
That's why in the Status page I refer to left and right bay :-)

[John] Fair enough. I will refer them as left/right from now on :-)

> > as you already pointed out, second disk will have identical
> > content,

Yes, but as you are running in degraded mode that is not true anymore. Only
after a lenghtly resync its contents will be identical. That's why I asked you
in the begining what do you intend to do in this respect.

[John] I will add the "failed" disk back to RAID and do a final resync before I start this process. This way I should get two identical standard fs'es at the end (hopefullly).

All in all, during the process, when I need to reboot the box, I will boot in with only one disk inserted so uncertainty of stock firmware's behavior is eliminated. A revised plan based on your've already done:

0. Supposed that we are running full RAID1 with 2 disks sync'ed
1-RAID->fail one component (left, e.g.)
2-RAID->remove failed component (left will appear in red)

3-RAID->clear the removed component
4-Filesystem->Mount left. Verify contents are there
5. shutdown, physically remove left disk (now we have an offline backup).
6. power back up, now box is running on one right disk in degraded mode
7. destroy RAID (do I still need to clear component? Probably yes), but you indicated that I can't do this with only one disk ...
8. If step 7 can be done, then the remaining disk(right disk) becomes a standard disk, most likely with original content
9  reboot to verify that we can boot from right disk
10. power off , physically remove right, insert back left, would I be able to boot from it? If yes then both disks are bootable, meaning we can now put both back and doesn't matter which one come up first becomes booting disk
11. If left is not bootable, I can probably use an offline tool to clone right to left

strongline

Apr 24, 2012, 11:32:48 AM4/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
I just did it as follow and everything worked beautifully! Alt-F's support for hot plug/unplug is amazing!

- Component -> Remove Left
- Component -> Clear Left
- Left becomes a standard disk/fs and accessible
- Eject Left
- Physical remove (hot unpug) left
- Destroy RAID
- Right becomes a standard disk/fs and accessible
- Reboot, still good
- Plug back in Left, the ALT-F just recognizes it and mount it. Beautiful!

A few questions along the way:
1. after reboot I can browse folders in telnet/web GUI, but share is not
available from Windows clients. (System error 58 has occurred.The specified server cannot
perform the requested operation)
2. Every reboot will add a dupliate entry in Setup/Hosts (it seems that
remove this duplicate entry will fix share not available issue, or I
just didn't wait long enough)

Thanks a lot for your insight and help Joao!

Joao Cardoso (Alt-F)

Apr 24, 2012, 12:47:07 PM4/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday 24 April 2012 08:32:48 strongline wrote:
> I just did it as follow and everything worked beautifully! Alt-F's support
> for hot plug/unplug is amazing!
>
> - Component -> Remove Left
> - Component -> Clear Left
> - Left becomes a standard disk/fs and accessible
> - Eject Left
> - Physical remove (hot unpug) left
> - Destroy RAID
> - Right becomes a standard disk/fs and accessible
> - Reboot, still good
> - Plug back in Left, the ALT-F just recognizes it and mount it. Beautiful!

Good it worked!

I had some comments, that I add for future reference:

step -1: stop all services first! You don't want disk access, either locally
or through the network, during the procedure.

> 5. shutdown, physically remove left disk (now we have an offline backup).

I would now test if the box boots from the backup before destroying the RAID
in step 7, i.e., I would remove the degraded RAID disk instead.
This will also test if the D-Link firmware works fine with a new "standard"
disk that it never used/saw before.
And if it does not you still have your RAID in degraded mode, as you have now.

> A few questions along the way:
> 1. after reboot I can browse folders in telnet/web GUI, but share is not
> available from Windows clients. (System error 58 has occurred.The specified
> server cannot
> perform the requested operation)
> 2. Every reboot will add a dupliate entry in Setup/Hosts

You discovered a bug!
Probably the file /etc/resolv.conf also has duplicates?
This is specific to the "run on top" mode.

> (it seems that
> remove this duplicate entry will fix share not available issue, or I
> just didn't wait long enough)

I think that you have not waited enough, a couple of minutes might be
necessary for MSW

> Thanks a lot for your insight and help Joao!

You now owe me a wiki: How to break a RAID1 into two "standard" disks without
loosing your data:-)

strongline

Apr 24, 2012, 2:36:29 PM4/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:47:07 PM UTC-4, Joao Cardoso wrote:
On Tuesday 24 April 2012 08:32:48 strongline wrote:
> I just did it as follow and everything worked beautifully! Alt-F's support
> for hot plug/unplug is amazing!
>
> - Component -> Remove Left
> - Component -> Clear Left
> - Left becomes a standard disk/fs and accessible
> - Eject Left
> - Physical remove (hot unpug) left
> - Destroy RAID
> - Right becomes a standard disk/fs and accessible
> - Reboot, still good
> - Plug back in Left, the ALT-F just recognizes it and mount it. Beautiful!

Good it worked!

I had some comments, that I add for future reference:

 step -1: stop all services first! You don't want disk access, either locally
or through the network, during the procedure.

         [Agree].

> 5. shutdown, physically remove left disk (now we have an offline backup).
I would now test if the box boots from the backup before destroying the RAID
in step 7, i.e., I would remove the degraded RAID disk instead.
This will also test if the D-Link firmware works fine with a new "standard"
disk that it never used/saw before.
And if it does not you still have your RAID in degraded mode, as you have now.

 I will test booting from backup disk, but there is no more RAID. It was destroyed on both disks.

> A few questions along the way:
> 1. after reboot I can browse folders in telnet/web GUI, but share is not
> available from Windows clients. (System error 58 has occurred.The specified
> server cannot
> perform the requested operation)
> 2. Every reboot will add a dupliate entry in Setup/Hosts

You discovered a bug!
Probably the file /etc/resolv.conf also has duplicates?
This is specific to the "run on top" mode.

> (it seems that
> remove this duplicate entry will fix share not available issue, or I
> just didn't wait long enough)

I think that you have not waited enough, a couple of minutes might be
necessary for MSW

[That's not it. It's still a mystery. I encountered this problem twice and didn't know what I did to have it fixed! I was just fooling around. This is the third time, and I didn't get it work yet as of now - waited long enough.]

> Thanks a lot for your insight and help Joao!

You now owe me a wiki: How to break a RAID1 into two "standard" disks without
loosing your data:-)

That'd be my honor :-), once everything settle down.

I now find myself don't have enough space to save settings. I will raise a separate thread as that is not related.

Joao Cardoso

Apr 24, 2012, 2:49:00 PM4/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 7:36:29 PM UTC+1, strongline wrote:

I now find myself don't have enough space to save settings. I will raise a separate thread as that is not related.

Please read the Wiki and issue 13 first