Question about Theme and New Firmware

John Durchak

Aug 9, 2020, 12:12:05 AM8/9/20
to Alt-F
Hi Guys,

Quite some time ago, I installed Alt F on my Dlink device, and as most of you, I absolutely love it as it breathed new life into my once dead device. My question is, since I was last able to do anything with this device, I noticed that there is an update to the firmware, however, prior to my having shelved this unit due to breaking my back (Im ok now), I had written a really cool theme for it, though at the moment, I don't recall how I did it, and I don't recall where the files live. So my question is 1, since its a Dark theme and I know a lot of people have asked in the past for one, I am curious if there would be a way for me to make it available should anyone  be interested, and 2,. If I update the firmware to the latest version  I recall there being an issue with the theme possibly being over written unless I did something which I may have done, I honestly don't recall, but if I updated the firmware to the latest Alt F version, how can I be sure that my theme is not over written and the handwork I put into making it into something I enjoy and is easy on my eyes, doesn't get over written and wipe away?

I would love to upgrade to the latest version, but I don't want to risk losing my theme. I have attached some pics of the theme if anyone is interested. These just give you an idea of what the theme looks like that I really dont want to lose. Certainly not the greatest theme ever, but this was the very first theme I ever wrote for anything, and I wish I recalled how I did it lol. If no one likes it, I am cool with that, becuase I love it, and its easy for my eyes to see, but I want to make sure that I won't lose it if I update to the latest verion.

Thanks in advance!

John/

tfadden

Aug 10, 2020, 2:08:56 AM8/10/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
John,

Great theme!  is this available anywhere?

Thanks!

ScDc

Aug 10, 2020, 6:14:06 AM8/10/20
to Alt-F
Hi John -

How to make your theme persistent across the reboots is referenced here:

I don't think the procedure has changed since RC6 revision.

Hope this helps.

John Durchak

Aug 13, 2020, 12:51:38 AM8/13/20
to Alt-F
Hi tfadden,

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, no, it is not available anywhere, as I wrote it for myself soon after I learned this Firmware solution even existed and was so impressed by it, and the fact that it was so easy to work with. The fact that if allowed me to once again use my old DLINK NAS which I bought brand new, only to find out (through my own ignorance and not researching it first) that it has already been discontinued), and I have a hard time seeing things with light colored themes. Sadly, there was only one Dark theme that was actually available that was mostly complete, so I decided to give it a go, and I wrote this for my own use. If the creator of ALT F has no problem with me releasing this theme, and someone could help me understand how to do it the best way, I would be more then happy to release it. Otherwise, I will have to relearn all the files and what not that I changed, and I can send them to you perhaps in a zip or tar ball, I would be more then happy to do so.

The color choices however, are my Companies Brand Colors, but I am not worried about any Registering them or Trademarking them, so if I have time, and once I relearn which files I touched, I can supply you with some instruction on how to modify the colors to match your own personal liking, I would be happy to, but that might take me a bit longer then just supplying you with the files to install the theme as I have to keep 2 Small Businesses running.

It means a lot to me that you like my theme, I am quite fond of it myself :D

Thanks again for the compliment, and I am sure once I look at how to make sure that the theme stays persistent after an update, that will help me to put together the files required in the theme. Since I don't know how to make this into a "installable" theme, using the option to install the theme, best I could offer are the files. Hopefully I will be able to work on this by this weekend. Hope that helps, and due let me know if you would be interested in that so that I can make the time for you if it is OK to just provide the files as opposed to an actual packaged theme (unless someone happens to know how I can easily make one).

Cheers!

John
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to al...@googlegroups.com.