How-to upgrade RC2 (reloaded) to RC3 (reloaded)

scaramanga

Mar 26, 2013, 2:04:44 PM3/26/13
Moving/continuing the discussion to a new thread as requesed by Joao

On Monday, March 25, 2013 5:39:36 PM UTC+2, Joao Cardoso wrote:

[This should be on a new topic, with a descriptive subject]

On Monday, March 25, 2013 1:15:00 PM UTC, scaramanga wrote:
I'm currently running RC2 (reloaded) on a DNS-323.
How do I upgrade to RC3 (reloaded)?

Proceed an in for a new installation, replacing also the fun_plug file.

I think there might be a little problem with the method you suggested (thought I haven't tried it yet).
If I'm reading the fun_plug script correctly, it'll extract the content of the RC3 tar file on top of the existing RC2 alt-f directory. Since file names were changed there'll be some left-over files.
That might cause some problems with this:
initrd=$(ls rootfs.arm.*)
Since ls will list two files: rootfs.arm.sqmtd (from RC3) and rootfs.arm.cpio-sq.lzma (from RC2). Correct me if I'm wrong.
To fix this, I think I'll make the following adjustment to the fun_plug script:
if test -r $ALTF_TARBALL; then
    rm -rf $ALTF_PATH

# what the heck?! -x doesn't work, but -v does, so extract to stdout!
What do you think?

Joao Cardoso

Mar 26, 2013, 2:17:00 PM3/26/13
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:02:46 PM UTC, scaramanga wrote:
[...]

You are right.

However, I will not release a new fun_plug file, as it is easier to change the installation instructions saying to remove the 'alt-f' folder. OK?

Thanks

scaramanga

Mar 27, 2013, 4:22:56 AM3/27/13
On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:17:00 PM UTC+2, Joao Cardoso wrote:

However, I will not release a new fun_plug file, as it is easier to change the installation instructions saying to remove the 'alt-f' folder. OK?

Sure. In fact, I think I'll do what you're suggesting.
That should work just as well, since ext2/ext3 files and folders are reference counted, so it should be safe to delete them. Only caveat I can think of is if the system isn't shutdown cleanly and, for some reason, the file-system doesn't have a journal.

Thank you!

Edit: Yup, works like a charm.

scaramanga

Mar 27, 2013, 10:17:38 AM3/27/13
One thing I noticed. After I save settings, some files are still listed as changed since last save:
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/vsftpd.user_list
/etc/httpd.conf
/etc/fstab

Edit: After logging-out and logging in it works just fine.