DNS 320 RevA unaccessible after power failure

Nicolas Desveaux

Aug 18, 2017, 11:47:49 AM8/18/17
to Alt-F
Hi,

Power went out long enough that my UPS shutdown and when powered back eventually I noticed I could not access the shared folder or the web interface. Pinging the static IP didn't work either.  I checked the NAS and saw the L R light blinking amber rapidly. I pressed the front button and I could hear the drives spinning up but still nothing happened.
Now the Power light is steady Blue and nothing happens.
I tried a hard power down (at which point I heard the drives spin down) then plugged back in, still nothing.

The network lights are blinking when connected and when the cable is unplugged they stay lit steady green.

Not sure where to start here, the router sees no device connected. Tried a different ethernet cable too.

I hope you guys can help.

Thanks

Nick

João Cardoso

Aug 18, 2017, 7:15:34 PM8/18/17
to Alt-F
Probably the box is assigning itself a static IP out of your network. The fast cure is probably doing a long (greater than 20 seconds) reset. That will reset all your flash-saved settings to default values (*no* disk data will be affected).

Another possibility is to configure a PC with a static IP in the 192.168.1.x range, boot the box without the network cable connected  and after boot do a network direct-cable connection to the box -- you should find it at 192.168.1.254

Nicolas Desveaux

Aug 19, 2017, 3:40:13 AM8/19/17
to Alt-F
Thank you. I'll try that. Are you talking about the reset pin hole behind or the button in front that I need to press for over 20 secs?

João Cardoso

Aug 26, 2017, 12:41:20 PM8/26/17
to Alt-F

On Saturday, 19 August 2017 08:40:13 UTC+1, Nicolas Desveaux wrote:
Thank you. I'll try that. Are you talking about the reset pin hole behind

Yes, the reset button.

Nicolas Desveaux

Aug 26, 2017, 2:56:06 PM8/26/17
to Alt-F
Thanks Joao. Worked great. I'm on 1.0 snapshot right now. So far so good. Only thing I noticed is the NAS would shutdown sometimes. I thought there was an auto off after x hrs of idle time. Then realised it was shutting of cause it was past the heat cut off which was at 50degC I think. I set it to 60 and no more shutdown. But the question remains what's a safe temp?
It gets quite hot where I live, 35C room temp.

1 last question, is there a NVR/DVR module so I can have my ip camera record to the NAS? (I realise that may not be the best plan given the hdrive will be working 24/7)

João Cardoso

Aug 27, 2017, 12:23:48 PM8/27/17
to Alt-F

On Saturday, 26 August 2017 19:56:06 UTC+1, Nicolas Desveaux wrote:
Thanks Joao. Worked great. I'm on 1.0 snapshot right now. So far so good. Only thing I noticed is the NAS would shutdown sometimes. I thought there was an auto off after x hrs of idle time. Then realised it was shutting of cause it was past the heat cut off which was at 50degC I think.

If you had Setup->Mail you should be sent and e-mail when the warn temp was reached.

I set it to 60 and no more shutdown. But the question remains what's a safe temp?

You should watch your disks temperature, they are more sensible to heat (variations) that the box motherboard.
Probably your fan is always running, you can try Always Fast if the noise does not bother you, or increase the fan low-high threshold temperature.
This is highly user/location dependent.

It gets quite hot where I live, 35C room temp.
1 last question, is there a NVR/DVR module so I can have my ip camera record to the NAS?

No NVR. Aren't most IP cameras able to use ftp?