Cryptsetup volume not mounting on boot

Richard Ejem

Nov 24, 2016, 3:04:50 PM11/24/16
to Alt-F
Hi,
I have a LUKS volume encrypted with cryptsetup. However, every time I turn on the device, the volume is inactive and I have to activate it by clicking Disk->Encryption->Open.
When I do this, "When done you must save settings" appears. So, I save the settings. But next time I boot the device the volume is inactive again with this error message in log:
No cryptsetup support found for partition type "crypt_LUKS" in "sda3"
which is weird because everything works fine with the encrypted partition except of it is not mounded on boot.

Any ideas what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Joao Cardoso

Nov 24, 2016, 5:18:04 PM11/24/16
to Alt-F Group

On Nov 24, 2016 8:04 PM, "Richard Ejem" <ric...@ejem.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a LUKS volume encrypted with cryptsetup. However, every time I turn on the device, the volume is inactive and I have to activate it by clicking Disk->Encryption->Open.
> When I do this, "When done you must save settings" appears. So, I save the settings. But next time I boot the device the volume is inactive again with this error message in log:
> No cryptsetup support found for partition type "crypt_LUKS" in "sda3"

That is expected, as the kernel modules package (in the Alt-F folder) is needed and it is not yet availabe. You are on a dns-323/321 right? And the Alt-F folder is at sda4 or sdbx?

> which is weird because everything works fine with the encrypted partition except of it is not mounded on boot.

Can you please try 'rccryptsetup enable' at the command line and save settings afterward?

> Any ideas what am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.

Richard Ejem

Nov 27, 2016, 8:52:00 AM11/27/16
to Alt-F
Thanks, that worked :) the partition is active on boot now, however, the error message "no cryptsetup support..." still appears after rebook (and yes, I've cleaned the error log before reboot :) ). Is there any chance of getting rid of the error too?

I'm on DNS 320L and alt-f packages are currently on sdb.

João Cardoso

Nov 30, 2016, 12:01:37 PM11/30/16
to Alt-F

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 13:52:00 UTC, Richard Ejem wrote:
Thanks, that worked :) the partition is active on boot now, however, the error message "no cryptsetup support..." still appears after rebook (and yes, I've cleaned the error log before reboot :) ). Is there any chance of getting rid of the error too?

No, because the detection that sda3 has a crypt_LUKS setup is done as soon as it appears, and at that time the disk and partition that contains the cryptsetup package (sdbx) is not yet available. Waiting a certain amount of time expecting for it to appears is not a solution, as it might be time for a fsck on it and that can take hours to be completed. Or the sdb disk might have been removed or failed and will never appear.

That issue occurs whenever a filesystem needs resources (packages or kernel modules) which are not (yet) available, such as btrfs, LVM, or other.

I'm on DNS 320L and alt-f packages are currently on sdb.

As the needed kernel modules package (in the Alt-F folder) is not yet availabe