WD100EMAZ

James Pike

Jun 26, 2020, 4:20:31 PM6/26/20
to Alt-F
Anyone used these on any of these DNS models? I bought two of them, wanting to put them into my 325 (Yeah, ran out of room already. LOL) but I see some people saying for "computers" to see them, you need to cover the 3rd pin in. Since these units are all Linux based, I'm wondering if I would need to do it or not. Thanks for any help.

James Pike

Jun 26, 2020, 4:55:22 PM6/26/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE: The NAS sees the drives, but won't let me format them with ext4. Gives an error of:
mke2fs: Size of device /dev/md0 too big to be expressed in 32 bits using a blocksize of 4096

EDIT: I did some looking up, and came across this:
Ext4 will now support volumes up to 1 exbibyte (EiB).  However to accomplish that we need upgrade ext4 to support 64-bit volumes.
We need to update e2fsprogs utilities.

Joao Cardoso

Jun 26, 2020, 8:47:46 PM6/26/20
to Alt-F
Yes, you found that 10TB disks are not handled by Alt-F! Thanks for reporting.

I have e2fsck-1.42.13 and it *might* solve the issue, not absolutely certain looking just at the change log... there are signs that only 1.43 64bits will be the default... yes, checked.

Releasing a new e2fsck and installing it on disk in order to create/check the disk... hell, the egg/chicken problem!
So what is really needed is a new Alt-F release. Or at least a snapshot.
Or releasing e2fsck-1.42.13 on a "Only for USB on-disk installations and likely not to work" package feed?

Your only solution is to create two partition per disk, max is 8TB. 2+8? 5+5?
Sorry, e2fsck-1.43 does not fit in the DNS-323/321, already tried. Froze the DNS-323/321 at Alt-F-1.0 and move on? Noooo

James Pike

Jun 26, 2020, 9:03:01 PM6/26/20
to al...@googlegroups.com
I got it to accept the two disks, as separate EXT4 file systems. Both report 9TB as usable.  So I guess that's my only solution for now. Really wanted a linear RAID, but I can deal without it.  Hell, I wouldn't even be able to use the 10TB hard drives at all, if it weren't for Alt-F, so my many thanks there.

But if you do decide to update the E2fsprogs, according to the sourceforge page, the newest release is 1.45.6 (March 20, 2020) which says "Ext4 will now support volumes up to 1 exbibyte" So I'm assuming that would allow for a linear JBOD of larger disks, as well?

Anyways, thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate all you do Joao.

Joao Cardoso

Jun 26, 2020, 9:43:40 PM6/26/20
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 2:03:01 AM UTC+1, James Pike wrote:
I got it to accept the two disks, as separate EXT4 file systems. Both report 9TB as usable.  So I guess that's my only solution for now. Really wanted a linear RAID, but I can deal without it.

Ah, so 10TB disks are not the limit, Alt-F can deal with them. The limit is in the filesystem somewhere between 10TB and 20TB, when you use linear RAID to concatenate the two disks. The fs limit is most probably 16TB, two 8TB disks RAID concatenated (or one 16TB disk with a single partition).

  Hell, I wouldn't even be able to use the 10TB hard drives at all, if it weren't for Alt-F, so my many thanks there.

But if you do decide to update the E2fsprogs, according to the sourceforge page, the newest release is 1.45.6 (March 20, 2020) which says "Ext4 will now support volumes up to 1 exbibyte" So I'm assuming that would allow for a linear JBOD of larger disks, as well?

You need two 0.5 exabyte disks (disk manufacturers use base 10 to count, as we all do) raid concatenated to reach that ext4 limit (using base 2 counting). Tell us when you buy two of those :)

But I expect the shell (busybox) arithmetic used in the webui to fail before reaching that.

Anyways, thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate all you do Joao.

Thanks

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 8:47 PM Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 9:55:22 PM UTC+1, James Pike wrote:
[...]

James Pike

Jun 26, 2020, 10:25:42 PM6/26/20
to Alt-F
I was talking with a friend of mine who's way more advanced than I am with computers and Linux (he used to work for Blizzard, and was actually on the team that made Diablo III) and when I showed him the error, he calculated it out to it would be a 16TB cut-off for the Linear RAID to work as is. But at least we now know the cut-off. LOL

I guess I shouldn't have jumped so much higher.. I was running two 6TB's in it, and jumped to the 10's. LOL