DNS-320 Problem Writing into raid big files (more than 8 megabytes)

Enrique Avalle

Apr 4, 2014, 3:13:39 PM4/4/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I decided to dump D-Link 2.02b firmware in favor of Alt-F, as I seen that there are guys already benchmarking file transfers on their DNS-320 raids.

Well, I did install the Alt-F 1.04b firmware, in my dns-320, which has a RAID 1 with two 2tb Seagate disks, 93% full or so. I was using it "Normally" with D-Link firmware, but was eager to test something new :)

I noticed two problems right away:

1) I can create folders, copy small files, delete them, etc. on any folder in my RAID 1. But when I start to copy a lengthy file, I.E. a 160mb file, the raid just stops writing it after the first 8 megabytes, and after a while the file copying or moving throws an error! Weird enough, as I was just working OK a couple of hours ago, with D-Link bloated firmware.

2) Probably unrelated:  System Temperature, it is most of the time around 55 C (131 F), which on default configuration would just power off my raid. Disks are at 49 C / 120 F ... room temperature is 28 C.

Now, I get my infrared -non contact- thermometer and peek some measures from the disks: 49 C (so temperature is accurate) ...

When I try to measure "system" temperature, DNS-320 processor itself is at about 49 C too, but when I move the infrared temperature scanner more into the back of the circuit, I get 54 C. I wouldn't exactly know what is the chip that heats up in such way, other than seems to be a tall (fat tall) chip on the back.

I had to recongigure the alert and shutdown temperature on Alt-F at 56 C and 63 C respectively...

But anyway, my main concern right now is why I cannot store files bigger than 8 - 9 megabytes !

Any ideas ?

Any help appreciated!

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Avalle

Apr 4, 2014, 3:48:43 PM4/4/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
About the heat: I found it with the "top" command thru a SSH shell: IT is the miniDLNA, creating its Media listings for the first time, it is using up all available CPU, which is 100% in the status webpage.

Enrique Avalle

Apr 4, 2014, 4:51:46 PM4/4/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

About the SMB problem, MULTIMEDIA is the folder in my raid where I want to copy a 190mb file into. The user I created in Alt-F to use for connecting through SMB service is named "raid".

I can see the following in the log:

[2014/04/04 17:45:50.680407,  1] smbd/service.c:1084(make_connection_snum)
  192.168.2.126 (192.168.2.126) connect to service MULTIMEDIA initially as user raid (uid=1000, gid=100) (pid 384)
[2014/04/04 17:46:05.739006,  1] smbd/service.c:1265(close_cnum)
  192.168.2.126 (192.168.2.126) closed connection to service MULTIMEDIA
[2014/04/04 17:46:05.740553,  0] lib/util_sock.c:680(write_data)
[2014/04/04 17:46:05.741000,  0] lib/util_sock.c:1441(get_peer_addr_internal)
  getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
  write_data: write failure in writing to client 0.0.0.0. Error Transport endpoint is not connected
[2014/04/04 17:46:05.741558,  0] smbd/process.c:79(srv_send_smb)
  Error writing 43 bytes to client. -1. (Transport endpoint is not connected)

João Cardoso

Apr 8, 2014, 5:38:24 PM4/8/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
I can't reproduce this.
I quick search took me to here. Is your case?
Have you edited smb.conf or used only Alt-F Samba webUI? Or have you used Swat?
Using XP? Vista? win7? win8?

Regarding temperature: there is an issue (and a cure) with the fan/temp for the DNS-320, please search for it.

Enrique Avalle

Apr 11, 2014, 10:13:46 AM4/11/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi João!

I am using a MAC (latest MAC OS). Same mac, some ethernet adapter, cables and DNS-320 that did not have any problems with original firmware.

I installed Alt-F, and smb speed went into the floor. Any file copying stops when 8mb or so are transferred into the DNS-320, then it restarts. It is as if some kind of buffering or ACK signal from the DNS-320 is getting full, or waiting too much to be issued.

I downgraded the ethernet speed on the DNS-320 to 100mb and when slowed down, it does not stops and restarts (but crawls!). So the problem is definitely something inside Alt-F not coping with "high speed 1gb ethernet connection data coming in".

Do you have any idea on any way to "add buffer" or throttle smb buffer / linux buffer when accepting incoming streams ?

I am NOT proficient or knowledgeable on linux stuff. I may be very well wrong with the whole assessment I done.

Thanks for any help or idea,

Enrique

Enrique Avalle

Apr 11, 2014, 10:25:42 AM4/11/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
I just captured my screen while copying some pictures and videos taken with my digital camera into the DNS-320. You can see that half of the time, there is no transfer taking place. It goes like spikes, stop, spikes, stop

Enrique
Captura de pantalla 2014-04-11 a la(s) 11.26.17.png

Enrique Avalle

Apr 11, 2014, 10:41:33 AM4/11/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Just in case: When transfering files from the DNS-320 into my computer, this Start- Stop behavior does NOT happens. It works "flawlessly".

João Cardoso

Apr 11, 2014, 11:12:45 AM4/11/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 11, 2014 3:41:33 PM UTC+1, Enrique Avalle wrote:
Just in case: When transfering files from the DNS-320 into my computer, this Start- Stop behavior does NOT happens. It works "flawlessly".

Can you please try another protocol, like ftp, to see if the problem is Samba specific or another generic network issue? Try both reading and writing.

There is also a netatalk (AFP, mac specific protocol) disk installable package available, but it shouldn't work with the experimental RC4.

Enrique Avalle

Apr 12, 2014, 1:09:00 AM4/12/14
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I am sending a 10 gb file through ftp from my computer into the DNS-320 ... it works fine. It goes bumping between 10mb/s and 7 mb/s but at a steady stream. Problem is SMB related, inside Alt-F firmware ... as same computer, with same raid, but oficial firmware did not behave as I earlier shown (starting - stopping)

Regards,
Enrique
Captura de pantalla 2014-04-12 a la(s) 02.09.20.png

João Cardoso

Apr 12, 2014, 12:56:33 PM4/12/14
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:09:00 AM UTC+1, Enrique Avalle wrote:
Hi!

I am sending a 10 gb file through ftp from my computer into the DNS-320 ... it works fine. It goes bumping between 10mb/s and 7 mb/s but at a steady stream. Problem is SMB related, inside Alt-F firmware ... as same computer, with same raid, but oficial firmware did not behave as I earlier shown (starting - stopping)

OK.
But 10MBPS is low for ftp, I get more than that on my DNS-323, which has a less powerful CPU and less memory.

You have to search how to tune samba for OSX and edit /etc/samba/smb.conf either manually or using SWAT (Services->network->smb Configure, then hit the "Advanced" button). f you install the samba-doc Alt-F package you will have online samba help (you can install it, even if build for RC3).
Within SWAT, go to Globals, set Advanced mode, and look through "Protocol Options". Of course someone else has already done this job, and the results should be available in some mac forum.

If you get it solved please report back.

Joao
Message has been deleted